/sqt/

Stupid Questions Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

prototypejs.org/learn/event-delegation.html
warehousestationery.co.nz/product/B218876.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Reposting

I've got an old pavilion with a celeron d and 512mb or ram.

Looking though the specs it says that it supports up to pentium D.

It has a socket 775 motherboard. But I was wondering if I could put a core 2 duo on it even tho it doesn't say it's supported.

To the user that told me it could fry the mobo, why? the pentium d is a literal housefire compare to core2duo.

I would understand if it didn't boot tho

why does Thunderbird store IMAP accounts locally by default? Isn't the whole point of IMAP to only store remotely? I purposefully set up this account on IMAP only to find that it saves messages to disk (including any malicious emails)

Isn't it a major security risk to store any email locally because you can't control what is sent to you or does it not matter too much? I assume that there is no risk because the worst that you can store is HTML which means you actively need to enter info into a phising page sent via email.

Will a 1080 with a slower core clock be faster than a 1070 with a faster core clock?

I'm in a bit of a dilemma.

I want a quiet, reliable 2tb HDD at 7200rpm for the desktop I'm building.

I know WD is reliable, but all they have that qualifies are WDBlack HDDs and those are loud af.

Then there's Seagate Barracuda, but I'm not sure how reliable or loud they are.

No

What's a good mousepad?

So I'd be better off buying a more expensive 1070 than a cheap 1080?

What the fuck could be causing my upload speeds to drop like this? I'm pretty sure it's not my modem, and it's definitely not my router.

green is normal, red is what it's like now.

This keeps happening to me, every few weeks / months now, last time in march it was bad enough I called out multiple techs that themselves couldn't fix the damn problem. Maybe someone here has an idea?

I've been through multiple modems and it doesn't fix the problem. I'm thinking there's something seriously wrong with the shitty Cox cable infrastructure in my area.

The weird thing is the vast majority of the time it works just fine, what I pay for, yet when it goes down like this it stays like it for fucking days, until out of no where it pops back to normal.

Also, here's my modem page. I don't know much about what a good power level / signal to noise is, but the modem page seems fine from what I looked up.

The strange thing is it's almost exclusively my upload speed that's affected. My download speed drops SLIGHTLY, but not to unusable levels like my upload.

Also here's another example of it happening, just over a week ago.

How do I go from a working personal OpenVPN configuration to a dual stack setup?

If I download something from nyaa.pantsu, will I still be connecting to the same people that downloaded it from the HorribleSubs' site and nyaa.si?

look up steel series mousepad on amazon and pick the size you want
generally they are all about the same though unless you buy corsair's gayming rgb mousepad

depends on what you want
a more expensive 1070 would be a better cooler than a cheaper 1080, which would mean better oc'ing if you're into that
I would just check to see if there were benchmarks of the specific high end 1070 and 1080 models you were looking to get

I don't really want to oc. I thought as a rule that a cheap 1080 would outperform an expensive 1070, didn't realize it would be a bit more complicated than that.

not really, if they had different amounts of vram it might be different but because they don't the high end 1070 might be slower but not by an extreme amount
plus you get cooler that doesn't make your pc a furnace and probably rgb bullshit as a bonus

I have a 250 GB SSD 840 EVO and a 500 GB SSD 850 PRO (just bought not yet installed). I am about to reinstall my OS (w7)

before i was considering taking out the 250GB and installing the OS and all my apps on my new 500 GB SSD (have other HDDs for long term storage) but now I am thinking I can use both.

Maybe I can dual boot with the 500GB SSD with windows and 250 GB with linux? I dont really plan to use it, so maybe I can use the 250 GB for the OS and 500GB for games/apps?

When you say cooler you mean fans right?

You've given me heaps to think about anyway.

>When you say cooler you mean fans right?
yeah bub
there's a lot of features different manufacturers have like 0 fan activity until a certain temp is reached or additional 4pin case fan male connectors that are built into the gpu itself so do your research

Alright, so this hardware-level backdoor thing that people keep talking about.

What processors AREN'T affected?
I have an i5 3340m, am I fugged?

Is there a media player that allows you to open a file and start it at a specific time from the command line? e.g.

somevideoplayer file.avi -start 00:02:32

I have another sq. Do you think I could get away with fan cooling with an i5 and a 1080?

I'm a bit lazy and I think I would probably forget to re-fill the reservoir on a liquid cooling system.

So I heard about the idea of encryption with backdoors and I imagined how it could work. What I can't imagine is how it could be done without it being obvious that there is a backdoor.

The way I imagine it is that an encryption stores the password itself with the file using a different, static password to encrypt it, which is the backdoor. The problem with this idea is, couldn't you sniff out backdoors in an encrypting program by just looking at how big the encrypted version of a really small is with a really big password?

What am I missing? It can't be this easy.

Your computer is being utilized as a pawn in the intercontinental military cyber warfare botnet

*how big the encrypted version of a really small file

In javascript in an array if you search for say numberArray[8][4][5][2][5] it doesn't search through 95635 entries before it finally gets to 84525, it goes straight to 84525, I presume. Or does it search though 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 on the first level, 0,1,2,3,4 on the second and so forth? Does it do the latter with objects?

Is there a way to do this when searching for objects in html and altering them? When you use getElementById you are just giving it the id not its location, it would have to search through everything to find it. Is there a way to avoid that?

If you alter it what happens next? Does it reload the entire page with that 1 tiny alteration?

I have found this and it seems to be what I am looking for, but I have no idea if I am on the right track or out of my depth.

prototypejs.org/learn/event-delegation.html

How much of a security risk is it to store messages locally (Thunderbird, IMAP)? Can sophisticated malware do anything sitting locally as a wdseml downloaded from an email server?

BLOGPOST:
It's really bothering me that I ignored security completely when I set up Thunderbird for IMAP. I simply assumed with the general definition of IMAP that there would never be any messages downloaded locally but fucking Thunderbird syncs IMAP to disk anyway apparently by default. All I wanted was to integrate my mail interfaces stored remotely yet Thundershit has been downloading all these messages and with the large volume it's obvious that there are some malicious ones. I only use Thunderbird on shitdows and got a malware flag on something sitting in my locally downloaded inbox.

tl;dr What type of security compromise can WDSEML files sitting in your INBOX folder on your local disk have? I don't need to be spoonfed if there is some good writing about the topic

It goes directly to it. That's why all elements in an array have to be of the same type, because they are all the same length, so the offset to any value is known.

Yeah, like all of them, did you try looking on Google?

Can the recent ransomware be blocked on the router? If so, how?

>I want a quiet, reliable 2tb HDD at 7200rpm for the desktop I'm building.

You're an idiot.

T-thanks.

So I did a fresh install of Windows 7 and have been going through updating everything that needs to be updated as I get to my gpu however I encpu tee a problem.

My gpu in dxdiag (and pretty much everything else) is named something to effect of "standard onboard graphics" and the chip reads as Nvidia.

I have an Asus chip and a fairly new one at that. Anyone have any ideas what the malfunction is here?

>Maybe I can dual boot with the 500GB SSD with windows and 250 GB with linux? I dont really plan to use it, so maybe I can use the 250 GB for the OS and 500GB for games/apps?

Sure

Either stop being a jew and get an SSD or get a 5400 rpm drive.

just wanting to know what yall would do. i never considered putting both in my desktop until after i bought it and i cant return the 250 GB

850 Pro will be faster than the 840 evo so ill probably just sell it or keep it as backup

Yes it is blocked by default because by default port forwarding is turned off at the router

can someone post that list of win7 updates i should not install?

Don't worry. After mid 2016 they merged important security patches with telemetry.
Fucked or fucked.

>W7

So does most of Sup Forums also prefer it to W10?

For me, it's the McUbuntu

Will any old laptop charger do the job for powering a 75w ofc). Or do you need a power supply with a certain level of amperage or something like that?

>buy new laptop with win10
>turn it on
>cant use it for 1 hour because lol updates
then i reinstalled win7, funny thing is i did play with it for like 2 hours before reinstalling, and it still managed to start updating again in that time

I switched from Mac to PC, but I've been so used to Timemachine being my main source as a backup tool.

Is the built in windows back up program good enough or is there something better I should use?

>Will any old laptop charger

No such thing as a "standard laptop charger".

>switched from a mac to a [personal computer]
Just say windows. You mac fags and your brainwashing.

I've always used Macrium Reflect Free for cloning and never had any problems with it.

Ironically enough I'm having nothing but problems on Windows 7 But had zero issues on W10

>backing up your software

just reinstall it you fucking normie

I'm sure that's just a coincidence

I am about to spend $2500-3000 (AUD) on a new computer, and I will either be reinstalling W7 or Linux. I will NOT install that spyware POS W10.

It's for my files and images, I just want something good that gives me full coverage.

if they have the same trackers, yes

Do you have a habit of spreading your files across your hard drive or something? For example I save everything I download or create in a single folder on my main drive then manually copy it over to a large HDD that I mirror backup on occasion. I guess you're probably looking for something that takes all the thinking out of it and just creates gigs of backup files that you may never need.

Is "Kill my self" Spico botnet or malware. I used it to rape win 7.

I'm fairly stupid when it comes to what I consider the back end of computers. I have my operating system and a few programs on my SSD and then a separate hard drive serves as my storage, so yeah I guess they are kind of spread out.

Basically I'm looking to back up my information so that in the even of a hard drive failure I can just jump right back into things with a fresh drive and a restore.

thanks, if I had an array that just listed the numbers up to 100000, like numberArray[95635], would it be as fast as numberArray[8][4][5][2][5]?

>elements in an array have to be of the same type
so why can a value be a string?

the real question was really if you can search for elements in html and alter them individually without having to change the entire page

If you got it from mydigitallife it's legit.

So why can't you just have a separate hard drive on a USB that you connect and sync all the files on your storage drive to?

If you save your back ups on the same drive as the files then when the drive dies you lose both the files and the back ups...

a good fan cooler won't hit the low temps like liquid but it would probably die well after you do, minus the fans

I've had zero actual issues with w10, but the design of it is pretty piss poor.

I'm trying to add a new mode to xrandr.

I can create it, but when i try to add it to my display, i get:
X Error of failed request: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
Major opcode of failed request: 140 (RANDR)
Minor opcode of failed request: 18 (RRAddOutputMode)
Serial number of failed request: 30
Current serial number in output stream: 31

I'm not sure what's happening, could i get some help?

I do have a separate backup hard drive. I would never back-up within the same drive that would defeat the purpose if it died on me.

I do however want to figure out how to back up both my SSD and my HDD as separate drives but going to the same external hard drive. Eventually I'll get another external or do some sort of Raid configuration but for now, all I have is just 1 external that I can use.

.tib

Win 7 = Win 10 when it cones to bot. Just run 3rd party fix
Linux ... I doubt you could configure it correctly so you know how to spot intrusions etc.
You seem like a douche

I have a question about youtube-dl: when combining a video-only source with a video and audio source and merging them into a new container, will the higher bitrate video be automatically chosen during the merger? I know youtube-dl uses ffmpeg to do all the merging/re-encoding, but is there a list of what commands it uses to do so?

I fucking haet C++.

I wanna do competitive programming with Haskell instead.

Is this a bad idea

looking to get a cheap laptop for my mum but don't really know much about computers. can anyone tell me if this one is ok? she'll only be using it for sending emails

warehousestationery.co.nz/product/B218876.html

Heh

haha but is it ok for a cheap laptop or will it die after a couple months?

Not sure since it's not branded. If you're going cheap the only thing I can think of is do not buy ASUS.

Maybe, but probably not, the core 2's needed new motherboards most of the time.

You would need to check for a BIOS update for the board to see if it added core 2.

is it a bad idea to buy not branded?

You are not likely to get much work with the attitude where you give up on things because you don't understand it.

Does liquid coolant in a closed system need to be replaced? How often do you recommend?

Yes. 6 months.

Does this apply the same if I get a system that just cools the CPU?

I installed Debian 8 yesterday on a 13GB partition on a desktop I barely use anymore. I chose KDE in the install. I boot the computer up and it takes me to the GRUB (I set it so I could dual boot with Windows 7), I don't touch anything for about 3-5 seconds and then it starts up Debian. The problem is, after it boots up and gets through the command line stuff this gray-dark green screen is what I end up with. There's nothing I can do besides shutting the computer down using the hardware button.

what do

What happens if you press ctrl+alt+f1?

i got into root. What magic do I do to get myself into KDE?

I also fucked the network settings up during the installation somehow, it was unable to connect to mirrors, so I need to fix that too. But right now I want a working GUI that isn't a blank screen.

ctrl+alt+f1-f8 switch between different virtual shells, with f7 being the default one.

Since it's only KDE that isn't working, that sounds like it's probably a problem with GPU drivers. You can most likely fix that by installing the proprietary drivers.

I just bought an SSD to replace my old HDD and want to install Win10 on it. Do I have to go through a bootable USB, or can I just plug the SSD into anything that isn't SATA0, boot from the old HDD and target the SSD with the Win10 installer?

Hey i'm fixing an old pc of mine from 2011 to make it my main work pc.
Which os would you recommend ?
i am also curious what is the fastest skill to learn and get $$ asap for like 2 months at least ?

I want to install windows 10 on a virtual machine. Should I use Virtualbox or VMware? Which one has better performance, last time I tried on virtualbox I couldn't even open the start menu.

I used startx and that brought up some desktop environment, saw the mouse and all. The only thing I could do was right clicking (no desktop shortcuts or taskbar of any sort) and the only choices were "Change background" and "Settings". I checked the network settings and it thought my Ethernet cable was unplugged, even after I changed those fucked up manual settings to automatic DHCP under IPv4. Same computer easily connects to the internet on Windows 7.

Going to try another Linux distro desu, probably Mint.

if i wanna get into programming, where should i start?

Any good epub reader for windows something like ebookdroid for android?

If I choose the destination of download, let's say I download something big like 12GB, to SSD it will download faster than on HDD?

Python is widely recommended for complete beginners
Get a good grasp of how the program is understood by the machine, how to write efficient code, how to use objects properly
After this you should have a good enough idea of what you want to do with the skill and where to take it after that, the important thing is that a lot of skills are transferable and adapting to a language like C after learning in Python is relatively easier than learning C from stage 1, for example

Depends on your download speed and write speed. If your HDD can write files to the disk faster than you can download them, there will be no difference. If your HDD writes slower than you can download, then the SSD will be faster.

if your download speed exceeds your HDD write speed, then yes.
So if you're downloading with more than 1Gbit/s then yes, a HDD might potentially bottleneck it.

Is neo-Sup Forums usually this bad? I left a while ago and then I come back to look at the nyaa replacement, and was greeted by a heaping pile of shit.

Brands often come with a reputation and better support, which may be more beneficial for elders who aren't confident in performing maintenance themselves. What kind of warranty does that laptop have?

dunno, i only come to Sup Forums rarely but the majority of the site seems to be going in a weird direction. we used to call it
>summer

I've encountered a strange problem Sup Forums and I need a bit of help. I recently replaced my mouse, I now have a Corsair M65. Often, when I boot up my PC I get a warning saying that there's a fan not spinning. This I believe not to be true, because my cpu fan only has 2 pins instead of 3, so I guess the extra one is for monitoring purposes or something.
My problem arises when I press enter to skip past the message. Previously, before I changed mouse, there was no problem. But with my new mouse, my keyboard doesn't work (though the lights come on). If I remove the mouse, the keyboard lights go off and it still doesn't respond, but if I reset it works without the mouse plugged in.
I've found that it works with my mouse plugged into a different set of USBs but that's taking up one of my 2.0 slots which I'd rather not. Also, I tried turning off the monitoring in BIOS but it still happened the next time I booted.
Sorry for the long post but I don't really know where to start with this.

So you were getting the fan message before you swapped mice?
Post system specs, also when did you last update OS + drivers and which ones

how do i become smarter than the people on Sup Forums?

Stopping going to Sup Forums is the first step.

what's the second step?

no one here knows, we've never made it past the first