/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out infographic in>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3L8gnhxrzto
ebay.com/itm/Playstation-1-SCPH-1001-Console-/232330708571?hash=item3617fd465b:g:hgMAAOSwfpVZE3fl
youtube.com/watch?v=gim5_V4qWmk
hifiman.com/products/detail/276
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Help!

Are FT880 and DT1990 PRO are only good beyerdynamics?

youtube.com/watch?v=3L8gnhxrzto

Holy shit picked this up for a few bucks from someone

what a steal, these should be like $5000

That fat dude is so annoying. Can't stand his voice and you can tell that he think's he's the shit even though he looks terrible.

Solderless jacks are dogshit.
see

From the last thread:

>I tried it too, and I could notice a difference. Maybe your headphones just didn't have the characteristics to bring out the difference.

My headphones are the 600's. What headphones did you compare them with?

Literally shit. I have a pair if you want something cheap the Koss Porta Pros are better.

If you polish it up, paint it black and make it look nice and expensive, you could flip that for like $5000

>Can't stand his voice and you can tell that he think's he's the shit even though he looks terrible.
Do you have an inferiority complex or something?

Soldering glue/epoxy is a thing. An incredibly awful thing, but at least it's a baby step up from electric tape.

What? no, he just sounds smug as fuck and his voice is really annoying.

ok ok, any soldering kit recommendation?

Kill yourself, seriously

Are HD600 the Solus of headphones?

Basically any cheap ass chinkshit kit will do the trick for your purposes.
Just one tip, don't use the chink solder wire that comes with these kits. Spend a couple bucks on a small package of something good (multicore, kester). A good wire will work with any iron, but a shit wire will be shit with anything.

ok thx, will try. I hope I don't burn my house.

Mostly low impedance stuff, like the K701 and PM-3. Even a tiny difference with monks. Didn't notice a difference with the HD600.

Ok, am considering this setup as my first real audio setup.

>2x yamaha hs5
>sennheiser hd650
>schitt stack

About $915, after shipping and taxes probably close to a grand. I'm sure some you will suggest will suggest cheaper alternatives since this is my first real setup, but honestly I would rather spend the money for an endgame setup now rather than go through several upgrades which would ultimately be more expensive.

Other than that though any suggestions or tips? I know the LS305 is a popular choice here but they are too ugly and I don't want them on my desk.

why do headphones kinda make me dizzy a little bit

Why does sound equipment take a bit of time to get used to?
When I got some speakers I kinda liked my shitty laptop sound better for a little bit.
Just noticed it yesterday too got my first pair of headphones and they didn't really sound that good and now i can see the difference a lot more.

When you're used to the sound signature of your (shit) equipment and the new one is very different, the new one may sound off, or "wrong". You need time to readjust.
An exception is when you pick up something that has a very similar profile to the equipment you're used to, only significantly better, then you usually like it right away.

Cheap upgrade from the tascam th 02?

Could have something to do with inner ear and semicircular ducts. Just guessing.

Senses are fascinating. We get accustomed to all sorts of stuff. Most of the time it makes us like it(more).

Random illusion, boxes are the same color.

Just bought some kos porta pro's from amazon because they look so fucking cool, and they apparently sound good. Wow, these things sound incredible for the money. wtf

Yep, they're not bad for the price and has a lifetime warranty. Too little isolation for my commute so they're going to get replaced by Superlux 562's this week.

>lifetime warranty
wow lmao I didn't know that

>Too little isolation for my commute so they're going to get replaced by Superlux 562's this week.

I can imagine. I didn't buy them for public use, but they would look sexy at least.

I need very cheap (possibly

Thought I'd be fine with not very much isolation to be aware of my surroundings in town.
>they would look sexy at least
My friends say the absolute opposite so I joke about ut by calling them Beats by Gramps.

Yeah they're very retro looking so it's a required taste I guess. They're absolute beasts for the money, it's ridiculous.

>Random illusion, boxes are the same color.

No they are not, just the dress is.

Because it's shit.
You only need to get used to flaws.
Switching to good speakers calibrated to the Harman house curve takes zero time to get used to.

>Budget
>Source
Moto E2
>Type of headphone
IEM
>Sound signature
Neutral to slightly bassy
>Past headphones
Etymotic HF5 (lacked a bit of bass)
Philips SHE3590 (way too much bass and treble)

I was thinking of buying the HiFiMan RE400, but I heard it's build quality is pretty cheap. How true is this? How are the bass, treble and mids when compared to the Etymotic HF5?

I was also thinking of buying the SoundMagic E10 as an even cheaper alternative. Is it very V-shaped though?

Do you live in Santiago? Go to the MediaPlayer shop in Providencia and try them out, they have a good selection of both chink and name brand IEMs to try. Beware because the salesmen are Jews and will always try to get you to spend more. Their prices are often quite good, I bought my DT880 there in 2014 and they were $20 under Amazon price.

Hello /hpg/, is there any way to use the PS1 SCPH 1001 as a dac instead of a cd player? Or is it just usable as a cd player in audiophile systems? or is it just a huge meme? Thank you!
ebay.com/itm/Playstation-1-SCPH-1001-Console-/232330708571?hash=item3617fd465b:g:hgMAAOSwfpVZE3fl
In addition, is this legitimate?

Yeah, but I don't want to try them out one by one, that would be such a chore. That's why I'm asking here instead.

>DT880 there in 2014 and they were $20 under Amazon price
Hey, that's actually pretty good!

Yeah it was before the dollar got super expensive. Apparently they are direct distributors instead of just resellers

>cheap
>bluetooth earbuds
>prefer pic, they actually stay in ear

Is there any telling if there's a good kick in the bass of a headphone just from a FR graph? If so, where in the graph?

Solid endgame. Worth looking into the 600's depending on your preferences.

Also, could just get a Fulla 2. Should have enough power for your headphones and still work with your monitors.
If it's not enough volume, you can always get a Magni later and use the Fulla as a DAC.

Those are cheap, why upgrade to something else cheap?
For sub $100, CB-1 would likely be an upgrade.

>Sleeping with headphones in

Why does this get brought up so much?
Just use a small speaker, not worth the risk to your hearing.

If you won't give up the meme, some ear buds like VE monks.

100-250 hz is the "impact"

below 100 hz is the "rumble"

there are audiophools who say these 1st gen gaymstations with RCA outs are actually top l33t optical disc players.

back 20 years ago maybe

Listening to MDR-V6s in a hotel lobby in London.
Isolation is not as good with Velour pads, but honestly not by a significant amount. The comfort is waaaaaay worth the slight isolation change.

You misunderstand me: I don't want to sleep with headphones. I merely wanna chill in my comfy bed at night before sleeping. As soon as I get sleepy, I switch to reading, and when I get really sleepy I switch to sleeping.

the e10k is one tiny little beast, I finally took my dt 770 that's been laying in the drawers for months waiting for an amp. The sound keeps getting better song after song. It's the 250 Ohm version and I thought the e10k won't be able to drive it, but I was more than wrong.

dt 990 are godlike honestly , best in their price range

what is better and why, vynil or cd

CD > Vinyl > WEB > Other

whyyyy, and if cd is better why all rich audiophiles hear vynil

Ppl differs lot between beyers, was leaning toward 880s myself

because they're morons

Because "audiophiles" are dumb as fuck. And a big proportion of them are dad rockers, so that explains the vinyl mania even more.

>sampled music is better than a complete analog signal
K

>it's build quality is pretty cheap
No reinforcement near strain points. Can be prone to falling apart with only a little force.
>bass, treble and mids
More bass and midbass. Upper end has a more general tilt downward in response. Canal resonance not so pronounced.

>speakers calibrated to the Harman house curve
There is no such curve.

Agree. I too enjoy hearing pops and hiss while listening to my recordings, it makes me feel like a REAL audiophile.

I know this is headphone general, but can anyone recommend some earbuds for about $30 dollars or less? Preferably with android volume controls, but that's not a deal breaker.

Maintain your shit and stop grabbing your records with your cheeto fingers.

Nice meme

youtube.com/watch?v=gim5_V4qWmk

Maybe KCS75's? I wear my PortaPros in bed and pass way the fuck out in them cuz I forget about them on my head with the little clamp they have.

Soundmagic E30, Tennmak Pro, Carbo Tenore/Carbo Basso, anything from KZ.

Best budget desktop DAC/amp to start using high impedance headphones?

E10K/Fulla2 - DAC/Amp combo
Magni2 - Amp Only

Thanks, I'll look into it

Do these create latency when used alongside an interface for self monitoring in programs like Audition or Cubase?

Stoner Acoustics UD125
E10k
DAC-X6

Tfw I own one, but don't have any CDs to play

Friend of mine is selling a pair of HS5 for $200, so I'm gonna jump on the deal.

I've got a Fulla 2, which I know can function as a preamp for them, just wondering how to do so.
An RCA splitter from the preamp out?

Hello /hpg/, is there any way to use the PS1 SCPH 1001 as a dac instead of a cd player? Or is it just usable as a cd player in audiophile systems? or is it just a huge meme? Thank you!
In addition, is this legitimate?

What frequency are vocals?

Vinyl sounds like shit

Kill your selves

>tfw not a fatass or hydrocephalic so I've never had an issue with headphone clamp

Mids

~3k on average

>Bose QC15 $90 at my local shop. Tested and works great
Should I pull the trigger?
>Inb4 you can't use them without a AAA battery.
I figured the price would out-weigh that part.

Is the LRS 305 still the go-to near field monitor?
Are there any cheaper alternatives?

I thought it would make a difference from my onboard audio. Honest any computer past 2010 does not need a DAC.

It's a good deal. The cable breaks every so often though

There's nothing magic about 2010. It's on a case to case basis.

Sometimes, there's luck. Often, it's shit. My current board is alright noise floor wise, but treble's super weak. My previous board (2012) had a high noise floor.

External DAC+AMP devices like the ones coming up here every once in a while do make the board irrelevant.

Looking for portable full sized headphones that are also decent for home use for $150ish.

What should I be looking at?

Zika baby pls go

hifiman.com/products/detail/276

>18,000 DORRARS

I want off this ride of spiraling prices for flagships.

Yes.
Micca PB42X but you should really just save up. Assuming you're in the US.

Where are the Red Guard when you need them?

I bet HD600 is better than that chinkfiman garbage.

Who knows, it's not out yet. I think I can safely say the 'phones won't be $6k good.

I got the JVC HARX700 a while back, and have been pretty satisfied with them, mainly in value for cost. Got them for around $50, haven't had any quality issues yet.
However, slugging around with a meter long cord is the biggest drawback, so they've mainly become my desktop headphones.
That's forced me to use some shitty in-ear headphones when I'm out and about since then, which are pretty uncomfortable.
So I'm looking for a nice pair of foldable over the ear headphones that can rest well around the neck.
I'm thinking closed stage, around $40-$75 or so.
Anyone have any experience with these? Have any that worked well for you?

>HD600 mud cannons
>better than anything
They're literally beats tier.

Not in the US but the Micca is not an option here either, so i might as well safe for the LRS.Thanks, user.

I smell a jelly poorfag who couldn't afford HD600s.

Which is better, the ATH-M40x or the Sony MDR-V6? I have MDRs a long time ago and was never a big fan of the shallowness. Does Audio Technica do it any better?

Bruh...

Nice dakimakura nerd!

Thanks bud

Why would you own beat tier mud cannons?