Your distro

>your distro
>why you chose it over the others

>Arch
>after a couple distro-hops upon initially discovering GNU/Linux it just stuck with me

nowadays, I realize that they're all pretty much the same shit with small differences like package managers and whatnot. I still use Arch because I have no reason to migrate, but Gentoo is the most interesting one to me. I've installed it a couple times on different machines.

>arch
>fell for minimalist meme to run on older hardware

Next time I'm going to stick with debian

Debian sid + Xfeces
I knew I was home and stayed with it.

>Ubuntu MATE
>It makes my $200 Facebook machine fast af and I don't have Asperger's

Windows ran like shit. Probably gonna switch out the HDD with an SSD soon.

arch
cuz of AUR

FPBP

Antergos. I used Arch for about 7 years before going over to Antergos which is Arch without the autism. Now as for why I chose Arch initially, I was sick of having my distro break after a version upgrade every 6 months so a rolling-release model that didn't require compilation from source looked really attractive to me. I also like having all the latest features in the Linux world so the bleeding edge is cool to me.

Gentoo.

I'm autistic.
No forced SystemD.
Hardened.
Use flags.

Microsoft Windows 10
Because I use Adobe software on a daily basis and can't bother with WINE, also video games.

Windows 10:
>It just werks
>Games
>Foobar2000

>antergos
Isn't this just Arch with an installer? Why do that if you already had it installed and working for 7 years? Unless there's some major difference between the two.

>Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS
>because it just works

the OP said distro, not malware

it's just Arch without the starting troubles
Arch for the non-autists

Ubuntu

I make 2.8x what my house is worth per year and have the ability to do something other than jerk off with losers in IRC

>Desktop
Xubuntu
I don't hav time to be fucking around with shit I don't care about.

>Laptop
Bunsen labs
I liked the logo

they're the same. Antergos just has an installer.

and yet here you are.

that's what I said
t. Antergos user

Void

It's basically Arch if Arch actually followed any of its """principles""" like the Arch Way.

What do you do for a living?

I've owned at least 5 different machines over the past 7 years. I've had a netbook, a nettop, a shitty Dell laptop, had a HD in my desktop die and upgrade my SSD at least once and the last machine in the lineup is my current Asus laptop.

and an extra repo with themes and a few other goodies

Arch, literally best distro if you know what you are doing. Maybe Void Linux woulf be better if you care about systemd shit.
It just works the way I would expect linux to work. Pacman is great, it's all modern and you are encouraged to customize everything, but you don't have to.

I heard how amazing Arch is if you spend 8 a day daily configuring and maintaining it, then I learned about Manjaro, which is pretty much the "just werks" version of Arch. I love it

yeah I fell for the manjaro meme a year ago. Wifi would randomly shit the bed and little bugs here and there. Went straight for Arch after that and never looked back. Distros based on other distros were a mistake.

debian stable

i am dumb and this is the first one I installed so i'm not risking it with any others, it works good too, haven't felt the need to go back to windows

windows 10

because i play video games

Mint 18.

Because it's Ubuntu without being Ubuntu. and you still get the nice Debian ecosystem.

Come at me.

Arch. I liked the idea of the base installation being pretty barebones and then shaping it into whatever fit my needs. The principles mentioned in the Arch wiki also seemed pretty reasonable to me.

Ubuntu, if only for the package manager. That's the basis I choose my distro on now. Also dpkg and wife compatibility is nice. What really matters is i3.

>Arch
>tl;dr; wanted a slackware with package management and newer packages

i started my linux life with Mandrake, used it for a month, where i grow tired of if i changed some config file manually like all tutorial over the internet, whenever i used the cool noob friend GUI it would fuck my hand made config
mad with that i went for the complete oppose slackware which i dual booted for a few years, but grew tired of not having dependency resolution, and not having useful features on many software due dated (ultra stable) packages
finally i heard about Arch, which uses rolling release, solving delay to get new features, it isn't a derivative distro, and used a BSD like boot scripts that i grew used on slackware

*wide
WTF

Solus
It's fast, sleek and lightweight. Also it is built from scratch so it's independent from other distros
Budgie looks and works great with Solus as well as with Raven
Also native Steam integration
The devs still need a lot to work on but it's a very nice OS overall

Enjoy your pretty old versions of everything

I am enjoying it, thanks!

Xubuntu

Unity sucks

xp
p

Windows 10, ( everything disabled, used only for the kernel )
I like it because it's fast and gets the job done.
Visual Studio, Photoshop.

I hate linux, it's still ugly, and not snappy enough as windows is on lowend hardware.

Manjaro

It's easy

Devuan. It doesn't include a certain key piece of software written by a german developer who I intensely dislike.

arch
it makes me feel superior to others

Ubuntu
can't get CDE to work on 64 bit Arch

this honestly. half my shit would never run on Linux and there still tends to be issues with many using wine

>Arch
>Sup Forums shilling
I would like to check NixOS though.

Like the part that distro developer are more important than users?

> Archlinux

Because of Pacman the best package manager that Linux has ever seen
Because of vanilla packages
Because rolling release
Because it is stable
Because you install want you only meant to install

Gentoo. No systemd and am able to choose dependencies.

Slackware
Learn shit and stable as fuck

Windows 10
It just works.

>>your distro

Linux Mint KDE

>>why you chose it over the others

1: It's based on the Canonical repository, which is one of the very biggest and best-maintained. And because Ubuntu is such a large and popular ecosystem, I'm likely to find a solution if I google a problem.

2: I chose Mint KDE over Kubuntu because I prefer the apps that Mint is configured with.

Arch. I used to use Funtoo, and still love it, but I am a lazy man.

>void
no systemd
not as toxic as arch, altougj Sup Forums might change that

>Xubuntu
>I don't want to fix what shouldn't break

I bounce between Mint and Ubuntu(s). I loved Manjaro until the latest install froze when I used the gui to update it, I said screw it, I'm sticking to what I know

best distro rock fucking solid

I use gentoo because it is superior to all other distros, there is literally no reason not to use gentoo, ubuntu is for idiots, arch is for dumb kids, if you are not using gentoo then switch right now, also i use emacs and gnome just so you know.

>arch
>it's easy and just works, while shit like Ubuntu crashes like hell ootb and I have to troubleshoot it

Autohotkey,
Can't live without it.
Can't live with xdotool and xbindkeys.
Can't live with an overpriced mac.

+1 for Plasma 5
-1 for default interface

Elementary.
Werks.

Mint. It's what I chose to try right off the bat, it was good, and I don't have a good reason to switch now.

Ubuntu MATE
ubuntu just werks and MATE gives me that comfy gnome 2 experience

Ubuntu Server 16.04 LTS
Ubuntu desktop but on a minimalistic install. Everything worked out of the box, sound, wifi, etc... I had troubles with every other distro installing my proprietary wifi drivers. New apt is awesome, takes 54mo of RAM for a minimal install and is fast af on my shitty celeron netbook. Can watch family guy through kodi on it, I love it

>Fedora (gnome)
>Comfy. Functional. nothing brakes unless you go out of your way to brake it. Lean. All up to date packages. Very strong emphasis for libre software :3 muh freedom. Overall Just works.

Up to date everything* is the word i meant to use there. It really is.

If only its name wasn't so unfortunately meme-worthy...

OpenSUSE/KDE

>rpm based
>excellent KDE integration
>tumbleweed is cutting edge enough for me
>just wekrz

Never ran into any problems with it, so it just stuck as my DD.

>gentoo
>no systemd
>no gtk3
>no pulseaudio
>easy to integrate patches to portage

>arch
>AUR

What is that animal that the ducks are sitting on? Is it dead? or why is it ok with duck sitting on it? Is this in a zoo?

>Learn shit
Unfortunately with the rise and proliferation of systemd, it's much less true than it used to be. You're basically kept in the dark as far as (the now ubiquitous, for better or worse) systemd is concerned, and are staying out of the loop and falling behind, risking being called out as "luddite".

>78700a70
ok

>Manjaro
>just werks
>AUR

What is the advantage of Arch over other distros, and what is the advantage of Manjaro or Antergos over Arch? Please redpill.

Is there some major difference in installing arch on actual machine and virtual machine, in vm i got till pacstrap part than i got power out will try again today, is it hard after that, and also what is the major difference in installing on actually machine, someone told me look out for boot loader it can fuck up easily.

As far as i know arch is arch, manjaro have arch repo aur and its own repo, but it keeps arch packages for testing before letting people access it and antergos is just arch with installer and bloat, arch has only ~400 mb iso size which really tempted me

It's good if you just want to install anything...I mean anything via AUR. But if you want to be an adult and use something you night see in a professional environment, I recommend Fedora. Those saying Arch is minimal don't know what they're talking about

Capybara, alive, Africa. They don't give a fuck.

>arch has only ~400 mb iso size
I guess it's a glorified "netinstall" where you end up with a base system and have to install the rest via internet from the repo.

Anyway is there any reason or practice for using Arch (or derivatives) in a production environment, or is it, despite all the apparent cult following, a hobbyist distro branch?

Is Africa so crowded by now with the capybara, ducks, turtles and whatnot all in one spot or even sitting on top of each other?

>largest rodent in the world
>77 – 150 lbs (Adult)

Interesting. Good to know they are timid, as given their human-tier body mass I guess they could be quite dangerous if agressive.

I am actually installing arch because i wanna be cool in desktop threads and show my e peen to friends (>.

Sabayon/KDE
Because it's Gentoo without the difficulty unless I want it to be.

I installed Arch 3 times in my life, and on third time I was able to do complete install with xorg, DE, and drivers under 1 hour.

>capybara
>Africa

They live in South America though

ubuntu on my desktop
ubuntu MATE on laptop
im lazy and ubuntu has every question you could imagine already answered in the internet. ubuntu based distros are by far the most popular so the community support is the best

>advantage of Arch over other distros

user repository means you'll likely never have to worry about a shortage of software, or having to compile/build it on your own.

excellent documentation.

pacman is a great (IMO) package manager.

>Manjaro

they autistically hold back packages for muh security(?), which is pretty pointless and counterproductive.

>Antergos

even Antergos will tell you that they're literally Arch without the the installation process that tends to turn people off. it's literally the same shit. it just has a convenient installer, and you can install certain things you want (DE for example) with the installer and get a nice looking desktop to use right out of the box. it's Arch, just without the initial fuss for those who don't care or want to be bothered.

>Ubuntu
>i3wm
>Distro hopped for a while and always came back to ubuntu cause my shit just worked without having to mess around with it too much.

Just recently switched to Mac though for logic/final cut/adobe cc apps

> hardened
my nigga

whats so bad about systemd?
im just you average user of Arch, not hardcore stuff, and really dont have any problems with it.
On the other hand, I never had anything else so I can't really compare it to anything else

>gentoo
>gnome

arch was the distro that actually taught me linux for really real, before it i was pretending and hoping things didn't break.

i know the ins and out of this distro especially as it applies to my hardware and i'm so fucking comfy, i have never felt more in control of my computer while also striking a happy medium with casual usability

i have tried other distros
i legitimately cannot understand why someone might want to use another, besides to avoid systemd, or for STABILITY AT ALL COSTS scenarios in which case they might use gentoo or something where the system lives and dies by the user

stupid ass u cant hack or nuthing
I GOT LINUX-HARDENED

Debian. It's the only distro unaffected by corporate bullshit (fedora, Ubuntu etc) that has actually competent developers. I am a little bothered by the intense bureaucracy and sjwness of some maintainers, but they know what they're doing, unlike Arch.

Arch
Easiest to use as daily driver

ubuntu minimall install + lubuntu + i3wm.

mostly use i3wm, lxde is only an alternative.

why I use it? i mostly use my x200 nowadays, ubuntu minimall + i3 makes a very light and fast system, i3 helps productivity without the wasted space and distractions

Arch
It doesn't break when you play with it
*cough* Ubuntu
It isn't ancient technology
*cough* Debian
Wifi drivers work out of the box. Hardware in general works awesome on Arch. Unlike
*cough* Fedora
Its package manager isn't bloated and retarded
*cough* Gentoo

The only bad thing really about Arch is security, no firewall or MAC setup by default, and MAC is a bitch to set up.

What do you have against PulseAudio, senpai.

You mean macchanger?

Manjaro unstable because it syncs with arch stable and if I ever ran into any issues that I couldn't fix I can just revert to the stable repos.