>2017
>JPEG still exist

Until webp or something else can actually replace it, yeah. It'll never stop existing.

>it hasn't even been replaced by JPEG2000

>tfw autism would require me to convert all my jpg images into webp if it took off

webm is better than jpeg and has better compression

Cool. Good thing we need less compression for high quality images. Also, if it wasn't obvious we need a solution for images. Not webms. Which are for movies. Which are designed to be web friendly. Designed to reduce quality in favor of more space and longer videos.

GG at trying though?

It works great. why replace it? new shit saves only few percent anyway and is incompatible with everything.

I know right, it's like an undead faggot that just won't finally go burn in hell for all eternity like it should.

>tried WebP
>shitty banding even at high quality settings
>tried BPG
>no proper image viewer decoder any fucking were
>no nomochrome support.
>tried JPEG2000 and JPEGXR
>worse than WebP

Feels sad. So much investment of Google on a new format and they can't even use VP9 or 10 for encoding and fix the awful banding artifacts. Fuck this shit.

What's the point of jpg when png is so much better?

10-bit per plane would fix banding. They need WebP version 2 with VP9 or AV1 intra frame.

>>GIF still exists
FTFY
jpeg is good enough and ubiquitous. gif needs to fuck the fuck off.

>It works great
It doesn't work great by any standards relevant to the last 15 years

>why replace it
Hideous artifacting that makes the image look worse every time someone shares it on the internet and 60% redundant bandwidth, AKA petabytes of redundant data a day for companies like Facebook

but my fetish

You don't need 10 bit to fix banding, JPEG don't have the same problem and it is only 8 bit. You just need a dithered filtering. The problem is that VP8 is utterly shit.

Pic related, Just prepared this. Neither of these modern image codecs is really ready for replacing JPEG for higher quality.

I'll need the source graphic for a proper analysis.

I was working on my portfolio site which is naturally demanding on the images side but I still wanted to optimize on it. I was exploring different options on formats but there's one problem that makes everything irrelevant. If it isn't supported by iOS/Safari, then it doesn't matter. Serving fallback formats on a different platform is a shitty solution.

Here is another more objective comparison using WEBP default settings at Quality 90 for a baseline.
BPG used CRF19, JPEG quality 7. All resulting in similar quality

BPG is by far the best at these settings. JPEG 2000 surprisingly looks worse than regular JPEG. WEBP Looks pretty bad.

wouldn't take long with a script

Latest version of irfanview has WEBP support. Best free batch image converter on the web. Just press B when opening it. Check out the advanced options.

You are welcome.

>2017
> gif still exist

>2017
>JPEG still exist

*checks HDD*

No fucking shit. It's the current year, and they do still exist. Hold those presses kids, we got an news event here!

What kind of fucking eyes do you have to care about differences that fucking small?

sauce or artist name pls