/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (try to use a search engine that respects your benis such as searx, ixquick or startpage).

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

ubuntu.com/download/alternative-downloads
gamespot.com/articles/steam-reaches-100-million-users-and-3-700-games/1100-6422489/
wikiwand.com/en/PulseAudio
ubuntu.com/download/desktop
software.opensuse.org/422/en
h-node.org/printers/catalogue/en/1/1/undef/A-Full/undef/undef/compatibility/undef
usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/black-and-white-laser/mf229dw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Why not use youtube-dl?

Hey so who wants to help me with a little challenge?

>Create a bash script that uses "rsync" command for backups and restores. The first argument should be either "backup" or "restore" and the second one is an optional argument specifying "realrun". The purpose of the "realrun" option is to avoid applying changes that won't be correct changes (without the option). If "realrun" is not set, use "--dry-run" option in rsync. Note that rsync supports huge number of different options. The most important ones are "--archive", "--relative", "--verbose", "--progress", "--human-readable", "--delete" for backup. Delete will cause changed not yet backed up to be lost. One option is to use the "--include-form" option for including only specific directories.

install solus

BEFORE YOUR DISTRO QUESTION
Read please:

>I want a "lightweight" distro (no bloat / base only)
>Not Arch or Gentoo

ubuntu.com/download/alternative-downloads
>Network installer

you'll have a working base system in minutes
>skip last step of installer (don't select additional pkg groups)
reboot and install what you want, for example:
apt install i3 lxdm lxappearance pcmanfm gnome-themes-standard breeze-icon-theme

>ib4 ubanto autistic screeching
> / :
~1gb
>ram usage:
tty - 22mb
i3wm - 46mb

============================
>>> ARCH WITHOUT SYSTEMD mine for reference
pacman -Qqs nosystemd
dbus-nosystemd
libpulse-nosystemd
libutil-linux-nosystemd
mkinitcpio-nosystemd
procps-ng-nosystemd
util-linux-nosystemd
xdg-user-dirs-nosystemd
xorg-server-common-nosystemd
xorg-server-nosystemd

>troubleshooting libsystemd.so.0 error
rebuild using aur or abs disabling lib/systemd flags
>notable mentions
qt5-base mpv - both have aur pkgbuilds

What's the point of reposting this in every thread?

it's helpful information unlike your post

No. It just spreads cancer.

Is there a native wayland web browser other than gnome web/epiphany? Is epiphany any good or slower than firefox?

If your gnulinux is so good, how come there is less than 1% of all steam users actually using it?

kill yourself

cmake is good?

Does xubuntu still have screen tearing?
Is it bad? I've never really seen it, and xubuntu feels like the best ubuntu based distro for me.
Also should I use 16.04 or the newer one?

So Sup Forums I fucked up and didn't enable encryption on my ubuntu install. I have sensitive data on my computer and it is a laptop that could be lost/stolen. What is the easiest way to fix this?

I'm not particularly concerned about the strength of encryption, just something good enough to stop Tyrone

Would going from Ubuntu to Debian MATE be a good distro hop? Liking unity but its getting dumped soon.

Use compton against screen tearing and LTS if you choose ubuntu.

Can I install compton on persistent USB xubuntu?

Afaik xubuntu comes without compositor, so if your card doesn't fix tearing on its own, install compton.

Will xubuntu be your first distro? Have a look at Ubuntu Mate also.

Use the newer one. Ubuntu is pretty stable and doesn't break on updates; in fact, upgrading point releases is much less hassle than upgrading from LTS to LTS.

chromium

Why not Ubuntu MATE?

Only debian sid is good for desktop.

This would look cool as wallpaper. Can some skilled user scale it up for a 1920x1080 pape?

Want to be more proficient at GNU/Linux or at least appear more proficient

test

I sort of used xubuntu a while back, years ago.

I don't really like mate, it feels a bit heavy. xfce just feels right off the start.

I pretty much need a light-ish distro for running persistent USB on a browsing\video watching machine. My old harddrives are way too noisy.

First for expand is the best program.

Anyone else here used to be a sysadmin for some Unix other than Linux? I was a Solaris admin and used it on everything. After oracle came around and fucked everything up, especially opensolaris I've been forced to slowly move all my personal stuff to gnu/linux, and every employer I've ever had is using gnu/linux now. I will never forgive oracle for destroying the true greatest OS ever created.

Unity isn't "being dumped" or anything. iirc, it's going to have LTS support. If you like it feel free to use it. (Especially since I have no doubt in my mind a small team will fork it and make it even better.)

That being said, from a purely DE standpoint, I love MATE. It's a DE I find myself always returning to. MATE was a fork of GNOME2 before GNOME became a tablet OS, and was based around some extremely stable libraries. It looks really nice now that they just ported everything to gtk3 (although a thing is missing here and there.) Of course you'll be losing some of the eye candy you may have grown fond of, it's still a solid utilitarian DE that's easy to make look good. I personally use MATE-Menu (although Brisk Menu is in development and looks really good as well)

As far as Debian vs Ubuntu goes, that's really up to your personal experience. Personally I've always enjoyed ubuntu releases other than canonical. Debian splits into three repositories: Stable, Testing, and Unstable. Stable is basically what you use on servers, so most people go to either testing or unstable. Call me biased after having tried an arch base, but I think dealing with debian package management just got too cumbersome for me to deal with. My experience went like this:
>Package I want in testing wasn't there, but in unstable
>can't get apt-pinning to work, just upgrade to testing
>oh but now packages I want in testing aren't there but are in unstable (^:
>have to add a fuckload of third repositories for packages not even supported

I went back to an arch base because the repositories "just werk" and I've rarely had a problem where a package just wasn't avilable to me.

But there's no harm in trying Debian with MATE if you wanted some more experience. Just install it on another partition and give it a swing. It's a fine OS and if it clicks for you, it clicks.

Don't worry about Linux epeen though. Nobody gives a fuck except shitposters

*triggered*
Unix is a dead system from the 70s. There are no Unix systems today. There are UNIX systems, which is a trademark. Only a bunch of systems got a UNIX certificate (like macOS). Also Unix was proprietary and therefore it sucks ass.

LOT of typos sorry I just woke up
> Personally I've always enjoyed ubuntu releases other than canonical's mainline branch, also compared to debian releases
>>oh but now packages I want in unstable aren't there but are in testing (^:

Then xfce should be perfect.

didn't knew about that, so it's basically all gnu or gnu-like?

What about Arch. I enjoy fiddling with my OS but I am time poor (I work long hours).

Will I actually learn more about GNU/Linux or will I just learn how to install Arch? If it is the latter I cbf.

No, people created Unix clones independently. For example GNU, BSD, etc. GNU just was the first system that was Free Software, the idea itself still stems from the 70s Unix. "unix-like" is a good definition.

I like arch myself, but I don't know if you learn too much. I certainly learned a bit more about all the packages that are required to go into my system, so that can be a bonus. The only time it became a timesink is if I turned it into one on purpose (IE Fucking with things no regular user would.) After the initial configuration, just werked for me.

You might try Manjaro if you're interested in arch. It's basically the equivalent of ubuntu to debian. It's what I run on my desktop now and I really don't have any complaints.

If you want to actually learn something about the system, read LFS and create your own distro. Alternativly Gentoo teaches lots of things too. Arch doesn't teach you anything other than creating a filesystem, paritioning and installing a DE. That are things you can learn on all other distros too.

It should, but I have no experience with persistent USB linux, I don't know what kind of things I can install or uninstall or how fast it kills the flash drive.

I want to play heroes of might and magic 3 on Linux laptop. Should I just use a windows VM or there is a better way?

Linux sells laptops?

For gaming on GNU/Linux you have 3 options:

WINE: check winehq to see how well a game is supported, make sure to trust the source, because it's pretty insecure since WINE isn't a sandbox or something like that, it interacts directly with your filesystem

VM without GPU passthrough: slow, don't bother

VM with GPU passthrough: the best solution, but hard to set up for beginners, once set up, it's great, best performance and secure

you forgot option 4: based GOG
>no DRM
>no steam dick
>GNU/Linux native games

GOG releases games under a nonfree, proprietary license. This is directly hurting the cause of the FSF. Therefore, one should not support or endorse this gaming platform by suggesting buying game licenses from them.

it does less harm than drm software, which makes it less evil
drm is something even windows users should boycott completly

Windows useds should boycot Windows completly and switch to GNU/Linux.

The whole point of boycotting things is forcing society to stop fucking up. It worked pretty well for GNU/Linux until Open Source showed up and welcomed nonfree drivers instead of working on replacements or completly rejecting them. This is why we are stuck with half assed made, proprietary blobs.
The same thing can happen to games. There is no point in making the source secret.

can u guys redpill me on Eclipse?

Both are unethical and restrict the user in ways it shouldn't. Whether or not the prohibition of the redistribution of the original copy is enforced or not is, on its own, as inconsequential as the freedom to view and modify the source code, if the other three software freedoms are absent. Arguing that DRM-free software is OK because you are granted freedom 2 (share exact copies) is like arguing open source software is OK because you are granted freedom 1 (view the source code). This is NOT the case, both are examples of proprietary, evil, user-subjugating, oppressive software.

>WINE isn't a sandbox
running as another user wold be solution?

>There is no point in making the source secret.
so you do you feed your children when your a game developer? do you want that they starve?

So I just reinstalled xfce and honestly, it's hard for me to really see anything in it anymore. Everything in it's UI and settings just feels...dated when compared to something like MATE, which manages to be just as light but still maintaining an attractive user interface and more features. I wasn't planning on staying on xfce anyways (probably going to install cinnamon or MATE since this is my desktop), but it's been pretty eye opening for me. You can tell that the updates to xfce have been sparce over the years, that's for sure. Not sure I see any reason to use it now

>me in charge of posting in the right thread

Don't act like you have no choice to change your job. There are better, more ethical jobs then selling cheap meth or writing proprietary software.

>so you do you feed your children when your a game developer? do you want that they starve?
if we are talking about games, ur right.
if we are talking about things that can break privacy, implement censorship (OS, communicators), there is no point in making close software. IMO it should be literally illegal.

Free Software doesn't mean that you can't make money with it.

this, compare CSgo/LoL skins 4 eg.

cuz 90% people are dumb.
9% need software that work only on windows.

I'm interested in this too. I have plans for a machine where I'd run a piece of untrusted, proprietary software under wine. I was thinking of running wine in a chroot. I can also keep the machine out of the sensitive parts of my LAN. Any other ideas?

a) It's funny that you're STILL posting the same picture. Searching the archives on the filename shows the same post for 3 YEARS BACK. Holy shit man. Impressive.

b) GNU/Linux*

c) The graphic is misleading; it shows detailed informations about a specific GNU/Linux sound set up and compares to a non-detailed Windows setup.

d) kill yourself

e) make sure you're dead

f) by the way: gamespot.com/articles/steam-reaches-100-million-users-and-3-700-games/1100-6422489/

how about

1 disc for gaming
1 disc for serious stuff

or is dualbooting with wendys secure?

>There is no point in making the source secret.
so others don't pirate the game?!

as far as i know many distros give to "default" user access to another disks.

Publishers often refer to copying they don't approve of as “piracy.” In this way, they imply that it is ethically equivalent to attacking ships on the high seas, kidnapping and murdering the people on them. Based on such propaganda, they have procured laws in most of the world to forbid copying in most (or sometimes all) circumstances. (They are still pressuring to make these prohibitions more complete.)

If you don't believe that copying not approved by the publisher is just like kidnapping and murder, you might prefer not to use the word “piracy” to describe it. Neutral terms such as “unauthorized copying” (or “prohibited copying” for the situation where it is illegal) are available for use instead. Some of us might even prefer to use a positive term such as “sharing information with your neighbor.”

A US judge, presiding over a trial for copyright infringement, recognized that “piracy” and “theft” are smear words .

see

>implying you can't pirate a nonfree game

>pirate
Stop using that term. It's brainwashing cancer.
Sharing is good. When you use the term "pirate", you're accepting it as a criminal act.

bash vs zsh; go

which do you prefer and why?

fish because it's not bash nor zsh.

graphic is from here
wikiwand.com/en/PulseAudio

GNU bash, because GNU

thanks for posting

>tfw got a second system
Should I venture into the land of GNU/Linux?

>GNU bash
More like "Belongs in the trash"

you must do so if you want to be Free.

ubuntu.com/download/desktop
software.opensuse.org/422/en

^^^^newfag distros here

Do it.

REKT

But I want it for free

>more features
>in a GUI
If you want features, learn to use the CLI. Timeless interface, intuitive, consistent, resource-light and mostly hardware-independent, also remotely accessible and you can easily share your settings with other neckbeards when shit breaks (cat some files into a pastebin instead of uploading 10 GB of individual screenshots).
That said, if you want a GUI and you want it to "feel" right, use the one you like, because that's a very subjective way to judge DEs.

What's your experience with printing/scanning under GNU/linux?
I'm thinking of getting a new laser all-in-one printer but I'm worried about compatibility issues.

>If you want features, learn to use the CLI. Timeless interface, consistent, resource-light and mostly hardware-independent, also remotely accessible and you can easily share your settings with other neckbeards when shit breaks (cat some files into a pastebin instead of uploading 10 GB of individual screenshots).
>That said, if you want a GUI and you want it to "feel" right, use the one you like, because that's a very subjective way to judge DEs.
this
>intuitive
not this

>what, if I want to print to the stdout I have to write echo WHAT MANNER OF UNINTUITIVE BS IS THIS REEEEE
>I typed cat but got gibberish instead of a cat, 0/10 UX

Shouldn't be too hard, since most of the stuff I use has a linux version. I think.

If it works, it should work oob in most cases
if not you get to travel down the CUPS rabbit hole

that said, anything from HP will work oob (99% of the time)
last time I used brother printers it was sorta hit or miss but it wasn't hard to fix

Honestly getting printers to work reliably is much easier under macOS and Linux just
because of CUPS.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

>GNU/Autist
Linux

keep going

Linux is the name of the kernel that Linus Torvalds developed starting in 1991. The operating system in which Linux is used is basically GNU with Linux added. To call the whole system “Linux” is both unfair and confusing. Please call the complete system GNU/Linux, both to give the GNU Project credit and to distinguish the whole system from the kernel alone.

Favorite terminal emulators?

Realizing I'm not digging the xfce4 terminal emulator. Something about it feels...off.

urxvt

>Mail me at "[email protected]" if you have any questions.

>Sadly, a kernel by itself gets you nowhere. To get a working system you
>need a shell, compilers, a library etc. These are separate parts and may
>be under a stricter (or even looser) copyright. Most of the tools used
>with linux are GNU software and are under the GNU copyleft. These tools
>aren't in the distribution - ask me (or GNU) for more info.

I was thinking of getting Canon i-SENSYS MF229DW, pic related.
Because it has WiFi capability, but I'm not sure how to use it with Xfce.
>CUPS rabbit hole
Any decent guides on it?

how the heck do you disable bluetooth?

It still seems to be running despite stopping bluetooth.service

h-node.org/printers/catalogue/en/1/1/undef/A-Full/undef/undef/compatibility/undef

I have a brother laser printer (decided to permanently say "fuck you" to inkjet printers). I looked up drivers for it before purchase. It works out of the box, although not all printing resolutions are available with the driver I'm using. For a while it also had this weird printing glitch, but dicking with the resolution and parameters fixed it. Painless experience for the most part.

I don't recall any compatibility problems with the inkjets I had before this.

usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/black-and-white-laser/mf229dw

there is a Linux driver on their page for it and what looks like a guide

Never had an issue and printing from the command line is a joy. Mostly used Canon.

The manual say the drivers are for simple printing only, no duplex, no feeder, no scanner.
Do you use lpr -o RAW foo.pdf

What are soem cool terminal commands?

qrencode, great as clipboard action in KDE.

Hey guys, what is the best distro? Please tell me so I can install it and move on with my life.

The problem I have is that this system I have is really weak. (2GB~ ram, integrated video card, weak processor)

If you want to learn how the system works, issue a command prefixed with "strace". The manpage will tell you everything else.