twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

No

Yes

maybe

Can you repeat the question?

>DE

>existence

Welcome to Sup Forums

No. Let me know when it doesn't need a third-party compositor because of tearing. Also, let me know when Thunar can keep icons in a proper grid structure.

>No high dpi scaling
Maybe it was in 1998

It'd be fine if it didn't cause screen tearing because the built in compositor is a pile of shit.

You can use compton with it, but even then it usually tears at the top. If you want something light just use cinnamon or mate or something.

What's the advantage of a DE over a WM, anyway? Just the ability to put icons on your desktop?

Proper wifi/network setup
Proper drag And drop support
Productivity
Unautistic
Anime-free

Do WMs not offer all of those features? I'll admit I've never had to set up WiFi on a *nix PC.

What?

How come whenever I use Xfce and move a window around my screen I get massive tearing?

Thanks.

>mfw people still regurgitate the screen tearing meme even though it was fixed ages ago

bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=10439

Greatest after Aqua/quartz

You can fix tearing by turning on the TearFree option of your GPU driver. Both AMD and Intel drivers support it.
But that would mean you are not a complete retard and know more about Linux than just running screenfetch and complaining on Sup Forums.

>Do WMs not offer all of those features?

No

(YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME NOW)

At the current pace of the xfce developers. GTK5 is going to be out, wayland default in debian before the port to gtk3 finishes. Terrible.

> Using a gtk2 DE in 2017

greatest at screen tearing yes

install compton

No, but it's super comfy

I don't want gangster niggas shooting each other on my DE

works perferctly here :^)

[CODE]
---Intel Tearing fix---
sudo mkdir /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf

Section "Device"
Identifier "Intel Graphics"
Driver "intel"
Option "TearFree" "true"
EndSection
[/CODE]

Personally? No, It has definitely aged better than all of it's competitors mind you, look at what clusterfucks Gnome and KDE have devolved into, absolute trash.

>install Xfce
>it works

that's i3

>Using gtk2 in 2017

Thanks god. The slower they port to shitty gtk3 the better.

Even ms botnet loves it

Thunar had become a buggy mess. Constant freezing and crashing. It took them a year to fix the file rename/move bug. The stock language keyboard layout applet was so buggy I had to install xxkb. Xfce is nice but too buggy and it takes the team way too long to fix things. Too few developers.

is there a real comparison for all the different DEs available?

What feature from gtk3 do you miss in gtk2?

It works best on my IBM Povertypad.

better dpi scaling

I like MATE.

Uhhh...I installed Xubuntu 16.04 two years ago and tore out of the box. Installing Compton fixed it like always.

Personally, I like XFCE because it's the better flavor of popular, supported Ubuntu.

Vanilla is not customizable and has that shitty dock.

Kubuntu is based on KDE, what else needs to be said?

Xubuntu is supported, has a fast environment, and can adjust the UI to whatever I want. Granted, there is tearing but with Compton it's fixed.

you fucked it up you cunt

KDE wannabe

KDE is the only logical option.

GNOME

Fluxbox

KDE is the greatest since it's the only one with thumbnails in the file picker.

Actually yes. Redpilled Ubuntu.

GNOME is shit, you can't even scale to 1.5.

ST is really the only major flaw with xfce. Won't stop me from using xubuntu regardless. Hopefully the developers will find a solution for this in the nearby future.

>Ancient "DE" maintained by a single developer
No thanks. If I wanted old, I'd just use WindowMaker.

No, that would be GNU Screen.

I wanted that some years ago, and up until today they're still outdated and without much relevant info. But it's more or less accepted that if you want something fast, use xfce, if you want something pretty, use gnome.

How do you do that captcha in that

I don't. I'm bullshitting.

xD

>they don't keep their phones charged up
opinions discarded

buy Sup Forums pass ;)

LDXE.

>LDXE.

>install KDE
>cursor changes them when it hovers over window's titlebars
>uninstall KDE

MATE does just about everything xfce can do but better imo. Whisker menu is the only thing but solus devs are hot on the tail with brisk menu.

Xfce development has slowed down and honestly I just think MATE is better unless you prefer the trimmed down xfce

lol picture FUKKEN SAVED

It's good, but I prefer LDXE for my PC because it's lighter.
Anyway what is the point of fighting "hur dur my DE is best". The good thing about Linux is the variety of options. Everyone has their own setup.

cool maymay

Yes apart from the fucking 1pixel wide window resize regions

Xfce is the worst de in the worst os in the world, and you should consider psychological help for even thinking about xfce being good, cut your fucking neckbeard, get a real job, and use windows 10, windows 10 is the best os in the world, only linux users are scientists because they need it for their jobs and neetfags.

fuck, that's true. it is annoying as fuck.

Hol up, lemme get my magnifying glass

INSTALL GNOME

This is determined by the window manager theme. You can choose a theme with more space for this.

>XFCE
ugly, shit tier hi-dpi support

>tfw fell for the budgie meme and never looked back

Yes

/thread

wrong

Yes

5 2
(XFCE )

solve this

Yes

>No. Let me know when it doesn't need a third-party compositor because of tearing.
>It'd be fine if it didn't cause screen tearing because the built in compositor is a pile of shit.
Sync to Vblank now works in the compositor fuckstick. Even if it doesn't there's driver-enforced vsync and compton

I did this as well but the uneven icons and the padding beside the menu fuck with my autism.
you sound mad that Xfce is lighter than a half-featured WM

>Yet another idiot that doesn't know what it means to have thumbnails in the file picker