Daily reminder: Everything you need to know about systemd

All you need to know about systemd is that ironically systemd wouldn't be able to exist today if we had been using systemd's design philosophy on GNU/Linux from the beginning.

In other words, we'd be stuck with outdated technology and only able to replace it if we create another monolithic init system that interacted with everything in exactly the same way systemd does.

Systemd is basically exploiting the flexibility of its predecessors to kill the flexibility we have in the area of init systems. People might like it now, but we're walking into a walled garden.
After systemd becomes the standard and everything depends on it systemd will never receive any competition because it would be an extremely monumental task to try and create a systemd alternative.

All the newbies here support systemd because it "just werks". But using things just because it works is a very Windows mentality.
They're forgetting (because init systems isn't really on their radar in the first place) that the reasons we all use GNU/Linux in the first place is for flexibility, being able to do things _our_ way not the way someone getting paid to do their job decided we should do it, and design philosophies.
Systemd is the exact opposite of all of that.

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/JzKrznx
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>hate monolithic design
>uses a monolithic kernel

Why aren't you on Hurd then?

>WAAH SYSTERD IS TOO MAINSTREAM!!!
>NOOBUNTU IS SO BLOATED

i only use free software

can you name a feature that you miss from previous init systems? and would it be impossible to implement such a feature in systemd through a fork/PR?

>i only use free software

>implying Hurd is not a GNU project

> implying HURD is something that actually exists in a working form and isn't the biggest meme of all time.

GNU was a mistake.

derailment argument.

why use those?

this is a poor argument - the argument is, why do I need systemd to begin with? What does it bring to the table that I couldn't live without?

I'm going to guess it's a bunch of stuff that, while important to you, has no meaning to me because I already have a system I like.

Are you sad no body gives a shit about your blog?

Development stopped after Linux kicked in.

Too bad that the only supported distro without systemd is literally Gentoo.

BOTNET

and Slackware

and AntiX, which is Debian based

It's good but it's tiresome to have packages without any information about dependencies.

Devuan

>the argument is, why do I need systemd to begin with?
no it's not, you're literally lying
OP said the problem with systemd is that it's prohibitively difficult to replace, that's the argument at hand

>208x155
>thumbnail
confirmed absolute retard. opinion discarded

why on earth do you need **that** at full resolution. You are clearly the retard here

and void

>devuan
>supported

Salix

Actually, I like it because it reminds me a lot of Solaris.

You know.

Actual UNIX.

What I still can't stand about this is that Poettering didn't name his shit "initiald".

That would have been rad.

Solaris fanboys do nothing but shit on systemd and how it's inferior to SMF.

>but we're walking into a walled garden
Tell this to the idiots who keep saying "oh well if people are adopting it then it must be doing something right."

It is inferior, yes. But it doesn't mean it's bad. It's just a lot closer to what we have.

>MICROSOFT word 2010
>Encryption

Mate I don't know much about OS', but I have studied the shit out of crypto and word's xor encryption is shit tier

> knows about crypto
> doesn't know about jokes
10/10 life skills

>we all use GNU/Linux in the first place is for flexibility, being able to do things _our_ way
No, autists use Linux for this reason. Everyone else wants something that just works, is free and isn't Windows.

Why specifically do you care about "not windows" when it's not flexibility, freedom and all the other shit that comes with linux?

Why do people insist on coming from windows and trying to turn linux into some microsoft-free windows clone after people spent 20 years working hard on ensuring it doesn't turn into windows?

he's not a gearhead
he's not a weeaboo
and he literally cannot take criticism AT ALL so it would actually piss me off more if he hijacked the name initald for his shitty project

Void Linux

>not using OpenRC + sysv-init core

whats wrong with you fags

But I do lad.

you keep pasting this and probably don't even read the thread of replies because you're a smelly hippie turd, you don't get to make these decisions for this reason

You could stop jerking off to "muh unix philosophy", that shit was written over 50 years ago when they were working with less than 1K of ram, just because it was first in no way means it is relevant anymore

All major non-hippieshit-turd distros use systemd now, it's over, you lost, go back to jerking off on IRC and pretending you're some kind of software political celebrity

>having to boot 32 bit uefi on 64 bit chink tablet
>grub shits itself
>syslinux doesn't want to boot off either uefi version
>systemd bootloader just works
first time I've had something positive to say about systemd

Yes, we need more modern software like Microsoft Windows(TM) 10.
And state of the art application like Microsoft Visual Studio Code(TM) with revolutionary cursor-blinking technology that fully utilizes modern computers.

also.. just saying.. it makes viruses and things pretty easy since everything is the same and its all pretty standardized now.

>Solaris fanboys do nothing but shit on systemd
They sound like great people

Whatever faggot systemd tools are just superior.

Why the fuck would you use chroot when systemd-nspawn is available?

The Linux ecosystem has become a graveyard of code. Things aren't audited, and inertia is the rule of the day until someone like RedHat comes alone and pushes something like systemd. Linux is a big sticky ball of shit and in a way I appreciate what systemd has dome simply because it's removed the reason for redundant and pointless distros/projects to exist. I do wish it were more modular and employed more privilege separation.

discord.gg/JzKrznx

i don't want to shitpost in private

SystemD is GPLv3 :)

Fine by me.

>this

glad we have a alternitive

i had hope for devuan but i believe they dont have enough developing manpower

at this point id kind of prefer them to package up all their new tools and make a universal init system called devuan that can be used for debian or gentoo/arch

>a guy can wish

this.

if you don't like systemd but are too lazy to make/use an alternative, modify what exists to your liking. it isn't like it is proprietary software. you are free to do with it as you please.