Visual Studio

>Decide to mess around with a game engine on my day off, because if high school kids can do it a grown ass man working server management can do it too
>Source
>Uses Visual Studio as default/recommended
>Unity
>Unreal Engine 4

Am I just being picky? Because I don't understand why game engines all use such a bloated, messy-looking, and microsoft buttfucked IDE for C++, hell I don't know why anyone would use it by choice for anything really. Even Code::Blocks with its stupid auto bullshit is a better choice.

Other urls found in this thread:

unity3d.com/unity/system-requirements
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Name another IDE that has as many features AND is as widely accepted by the game dev world.

Sorry it's not a sexy answer, but familiarity and widespread use make VS the go to IDE.

It's not like it's hard to use other IDE's OP (ue4 even has guides for using other IDE's...)

Microsoft pays for such "exclusivity".

Unless you want to make an elaborate 3D game just make your own or use anything else, really.

tradition mainly

>Microsoft pays for such "exclusivity".
lol no

Microsoft has been paying devs to use D3D and therefore their tools over OpenGL since the 90s.

The reason most game devs use their shit today is because their companies have been working with microsoft tech for years.

>implying having lots of random features nobody uses is useful
>implying bloat is a good thing

You should read about the design of unix, or better yet plan9. Seriously superior to this "let's cram everything into one shitty package" nonsense.

It's popular because it's popular, that's about it, as someone who came from Vim to have to deal with VS shit even in the form of Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio.

Even vim is a bloated pile of shit but it at least focuses on editing instead of putting editing in as an afterthought (what appears to have happened in VS).

>why do professional devs choose IDE with useful features instead of my obscure meme shit

visual studio isn't D3D and most popular game engines render/have rendered in D3D and OpenGL

the reason why popular tools are bloated is often that one influential company needed a certain set of features so it was added to the program, ad infinitum

>D3D and therefore their tools

You only need vim

Unity uses MonoDevelop as default and recommended, next time put some more effort into your lies

Rendering APIs are completely agonistic to what IDE you're using

This is true in some cases (probably in the case of VS and systemd) but maybe not in all cases.

Certainly at the company I work for, bloat is constantly being added because of "influential" customers.

But there are open source projects which quickly get bloated from the start these days, I have a feeling this is rooted in the observation that popular projects are always bloated and attempts to satisfy everyone as opposed to the people writing the software.

In either case, it's a very sad trend.

no support though, if you weren't a clueless NEET you'd know how much companies care about such things

I'm a graphics programmer retard
The IDE has absolutely nothing to do with your rendering API

>On windows
>Using engines written in C, C++, or C#
>OMFG WHY IS EVERYTHING SAYING TO USE VISUAL STUDIO??????????
Because you're on windows you dense sack of fuck

Sure you are buddy.

You are still wrong, companies rely on VS because Microsoft invests in support and is constantly reaching out to companies to keep them under their shroud.

I never stated you NEED VS to use d3d, I stated that companies do so because thats how Microsoft operates and executives would rather not deal with tools that lack support.

>pic related, opengl game I was working on before you started posting your retarded shit

D3D has support regardless of weather you're using VS and VS has support regardless of weather you're using D3D
not sure how your OpenGL game is relevant to the discussion

This. The eternal monopoly.

congratulations, that wasn't the topic nor my argument

>claims to be a graphics programmer
>not sure how your OpenGL game is relevant to the discussion

oh so you're actually retarded

I use PNotepad for Unity, works great.

>because if high school kids can do it a grown ass man working server management can do it too
it's because they don't get hang up on what ide they have to install and just do it while you make a thread on Sup Forums whining about it and get nothing done

unity3d.com/unity/system-requirements
VS is only recommended for developing for Windows Store you stupid shitposter. Probably has a reason.

Probably because Microsoft modules for Windows Store Apps are VS ready, so less dicking around.

Not anymore.

OpenGL isn't relevant to D3D or Microsoft discussion
I was refuting your point that people use VS because they're paid to use D3D (which might happen), but VS and D3D are almost completely unrelated, there's no logical link in your argument

Having Direct3D debugger IDE integration is a pretty nifty thing to have user. Also essential if you are doing something non-trivial.

>that people use VS because they're paid to use D3D (which might happen)

I stated that companies did it, and they do. Please stop quoting me with your stupid nigger shit.

>stupid nigger shit.
can you form a coherent sentence?

considering the fact that most big engines supported GL since the 90s really undermines the fact that microsoft may have paid people to use it, if anything most small devs use D3D cause it was easier to get going and microsoft isn't going to paid them off

Because if you make everything a plug-in that you don't need to run the actual software then you can have compatibility problems down the line when you change one thing the base offer but one of the plug-ins doesn't work and then it's a nightmare to make compatible with it again.

Better to just make the base program more bloated than to make a nightmare for yourself.

unreal engine shits itself on linux. like nothing works right.
Literally have to reboot the program just to be able to compile again.
game play mode dont work for shit
other things I cant remember