Do you think AppImage will unite all the linux distros?

do you think AppImage will unite all the linux distros?

I mean, system shit keep it with your own package manager but everything else using AppImage will be a dream for multi distro functionality.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/probonopd/AppImageKit/tree/master/AppImageUpdate.AppDir
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It clearly has the potential. But what happens right now is that Ubuntu and redhat come up with their flatpak/snap meme campaign out of sheer butthurt, clearly with the goal to keep appimage
down/out.

Just put the needed libraries in the directory and call it a day. Most people don't install anything in the /home anyway.

one well implemented and accepted standard ends suppressing everything else or make them irrelevant. Just like systemd and wayland (coming soon)

let's hope it keeps afloat. It need polish and a proper update tool and it has potential to win over snap and flatpak.

what will be the problem of having it in /home?

>Apps that run anywhere!
>As long as you run Systemd!
cancer.

That would be a good thing. No sane human being wants to fiddle around with things like yast, yaourt, apt etc. only to install a program

Package managers are comfy.

No, appimages are a good idea but come with too many drawbacks in comparison to Flatpak and Snappy.

>update tool

github.com/probonopd/AppImageKit/tree/master/AppImageUpdate.AppDir

Only after you have learned how they work.
Apps are also even more comfy.

Don't think it will be a dream. It might have worked if it was running Android apps, perhaps.

>Let's create the .exe of Linux, what could possibly go wrong.

package manager like aptitude, yast, yaourt are not bad. The problem is that every distro reinvent the wheel over and over.

They work but only for their environment and most of the time without compatibility between them (even worse if packages are in .deb and .rpm).

What's the problem with systemd?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

I know but it needs refinement.

technically if those apps are opensource they could run but it will need some programming wizardry to make it happen

Problem is, you need root access. It's also a security breach of sorts. I mean, there's absolutely no excuse to give root access to ANY part of, say, firefox

Yes. This stuff pisses especially beginners off and developers also don't want to create packages for 20 different package managment environments.

>is, in fact, systemd/linux

>you need root access

nope

They don't need to be open sauce. They just should have ported and used ART for the apps, it might have created an interesting ecosystem.

yeah, but like I said before, you could keep the package manager for system stuff. Everything else, AppImage with a proper update tool (I know there is one but it needs improvements)

It was a long way but the creators of AppImage created something very cool but unknown to most people in the linux community. It's hilarious and sad at the same time.

>you could keep the package manager for system stuff. Everything else, AppImage

Makes sense indeed.

Implying systemd is a well implemented standard

Maybe, but I'll still use source based distros like sourcemage

>systemd

I don't get why this is a problem that needs to be solved. Distro maintainers pulling things from upstream and packaging them for their specific distro has worked for a long time.

I strongly suspect that the basis for all these efforts are devs acting like that xscreensaver guy did with Debian. "How dare they maintain an older version of my code?! This is inconvenient for me! I want everyone running the current version, everywhere!"

this is mostly what Android does.

like it or not, it's a standard and it is implemented in most non meme distros out there.

if you don't want it, that's your choice.

>using an outdated prone to bugs, hax and confusion among userbase is a good thing.

why? Better help with the new releases and get an updated, patched and fixed version than using an outdated software.

But I repeat, it should not be used in system or critical applications.

>outdated
Newer isn't necessarily better.
>prone to bugs and hacks
How? Why would relying on appimage (or snap or flatpak) alleviate the problem? Are there routinely massive security holes in apt and rpm? Not that I've heard of.
>confusion among the userbase
What's confusing? So you type a different command to install packages, big deal.

>Better help with the new releases and get an updated, patched and fixed version than using an outdated software.
If this is all about "gotta get users onto the latest version!" then a lot of users just won't come along for the ride. The people who want bleeding-edge and are willing to put up with the glitches that it causes already use a rolling-release distro. And those rolling-release distros will still be there for them. The people who don't already use those are saying "No, I don't care what upstream thinks, I want something with less liklihood of breaking", and plainly plenty of distros are willing to go to the work of backporting security fixes in order to provide that.