Threadripper Thread

ITS HAPPENING

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=okB2NlA4uOM
youtube.com/watch?v=TZRgnlRPTTQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

mom!! look!! i posted it again!!

ITS NOT FAIR

>implying kids or NEETs are going to care about $1000 16-core workstation processors
I never understood why Intel marketed the Extreme series for gaming.

because gaymur kiddies buy that shit and intel knows it

thread theme: youtube.com/watch?v=okB2NlA4uOM

what if i just don't give a fuck and i'm tired of seeing the same threads with the same arguments every thread and every possible argument being already beat to death?

my next build is going to be amd by the way you retards

Hide them. There are at least a hundred threads up at any given moment, a handful of threads about some of the most significant changes in the desktop CPU market in years shouldn't be causing you this much asspain.

But its funny to watch intel get cucked its 1999 today for me

Threads confirmed ripped.

AM4 already dead

Sad

>Ryzen
>Team Red finally beats Intel
>This is the Rising
>This is the Ryzen

AM4 is general desktop market, i.e. gaymen and your average OEM desktop. This is for workstations.

not even threadripper is on am4

That's my point. Threadripper is for workstations. People aren't going to be upgrading from their six core desktop CPU to a 16 core part like threadripper, because the two are not even marketed to the same crowd.

Watch me...

no it isnt, it will be on a platform like intel's x299

that's exactly what i said

i miss read it then

Nah. People looking for a workstation e.g. for CAD, rendering, encoding, audio etc. will just build around the new socket, people buying a desktop for general or gaymen use will buy AM4.

Was anything said about future iterations of Zen? If next Zen is on 7nm, then I might just go with the 1600 instead of the 1700 and then go all in on the next iteration.

>Up to 16 cores

took a while

it's a workstation cpu you moron

ofc they're going for more cores

Price?
Price???

>mfw Skylake-X is DOA

i miss reading too

Intlel literally dead

in the Q&A, they tried to conceal epyc will be around 800 bucks.

so I expect threadripper to be around 550-600 and price cut for 1800X.

AMD comes up with the gayest names.

Nah thats intel.

>Skylake
>Kaby Lake
>Coffle Lake
>Ice Lake

No it won't be, Naples directly compete against $10000 Xeons

Yes, we know Zen is more efficient.
I find it hilarious how their 8 cores consume less power than competitor quad cores.

ouch.........Intel is the fucking housefire meme now.

And the Zen chips are on a larger more innefficent process too. If this chip was fab on intels process the clocks would probably be in the 4.4-4.5ghz range as well.

When AMD moves to 7nm intel is fucked.....

Damn, what would you even do with that many cores?

You mean metal as fuck names.

While Intel offers coffe lake sipping waiting for ice lake dancing

Virtual Machines and workstation shit

>ITT: people who don't realize AMD is fucking up Intel's main source of income which is OEM purchases

Hell, Ryzen's regular release alone would fuck up Intel's workstation's market since it's cheap as shit and gets similar performance.

But it's not going after that high-end desktop market segment. That's what this thing is going after. If I had to take a guess I would say probably $1500-$1200 but there's no way in hell that the full 16 cores under 1000 I'm a place a bet that the 12 thread is a sub thousand dollars CPU

Also I wouldn't put too far past and the put out a SKU that is eight cores, roughly the same performance as the 1800 X but with quad channel memory support

Again we've seen it time and time again in benchmarks, the most recent comprehensive one was with Haswell where they showed off and i5 and i7 and the six core and eight core i7 extremes.

What you seem was the eye five to i7 had a significant performance jump depending on game, then from the four core i7 to the six core i7, you saw a significant jump in a few games but the games that didn't see a jump in and see maximum performance regress but they saw the minimums jump up as well, and then with the eight core you saw even when the background processes decide to demand 100% of the CPU core it did not affect your gameplay period, this is why they marketed it to gamers. The quality of life with eight real cores or even six real cores is such a significant jump up from four cores it's nothing to joke about.

Thread Ripper is what you can use instead of those dual socket Xeon rigs.

OEMs will eat that shit up and push intel out.

Do you know how much threads Workstations work with? There's also the Opteron series coming out with 48 cores on one processor, if it's at 1/3rd the price of Intel's equivalent, that's it for them,

> I wouldn't put too far past and the put out a SKU that is eight cores,

there most likely won't be a need for that since companies that buy workstations rarely saturate their RAM Capacity.

>took AMD 18 years to pull ahead again
that's kind of embarrassing

>it's okay when intelfags do it!

Honestly probably not, AMD's previous CPUs were hitting 5 GHz on what was it 32 nm? There's something in the design of Zen that is voltage limit know whether that can be fixed with the node change that's something I don't know.

Maybe both of them are fucked, mainly because when you get to that level, silicon becomes useless and you have to deal with quantum tunneling.

It's kind of why CoffeeLake is delayed and why Kabylake was so lackluster

hahahahhahahahhaha Intel is BTFO

Nevermind the Zen price will x/2 of the Jewtel offering.

You haven't seen my PhotoShopping.

Looks like someone is beyond the revised Newegg 30 Day return policy on Intel procs.

AMD is like 1/18th the size of Intel. It's actually very impressive.

fixed

No quantum tunneling starts come into play past 14 nm, at least for main issue that you need to work around I believe that 7 nm it becomes insurmountable, at least to go further than 7 nm, possibly six I forget which ones the hard limit.

encourage developers to multithread so intel can get BTFO

DId you even read what I said?

CannonLake is supposed to be 10nm, and they have had problems with it, which is why it's delayed. It's also the reason why they didn't test out 10nm with Kabylake.

Gaymers don't read detailed reviews. Marketing works effectively on them. Corsair, Razer, Geforce is testament of that.

THREADRIPPER

>Geforce is a testament to that

I realize Sup Forums is AMD central, but you can't be this dumb.

You've got class user.

THREAD RIPPER

THREAD DRIPPER

they can't afford it

but knowing their favourite streamer has one makes them happier about the pentium or i3 in mom's dell

HOLY SHIT FUCK YES!!!!!

But... But I just bought an 1800X

Why AMD?

enjoy it while it lasts senpai

been days since i saw one of the rust shill threads as everyone's busy sperging out over hardware

THREAD AGRIPPA

Edit video

you wouldn't buy overpriced xeons anymore.

>Threadripper
don't know why but this make me think of braaap posters

Run a webserver that can host 32 sessions at the same time.

Intel is currently running with 20 max, so think of what (for example) Google's server farms will do when each server can now handle 37% more users per.

will there be a way to disable psp
if not im not interested

>disable psp

Easy

THREAD FLIPPER

it's interesting that removing that piece of shit would give AMD an immediate edge over Intel in a security-conscious market, but they insist on keeping it for some reason

> remove it for security

PSP = "Pretty Secure Processor" lol

analyze chess

>People aren't going to be upgrading from their six core desktop CPU to a 16 core part like threadripper
I'm planning to do exactly that senpai, my 3930K work pc is starting to feel its age now and I need something more

With my main workloads being compiling, video encoding and vm abuse I could really use the 10+ cores of newer top-end parts

>oh hey look at my 16c/32t chip that i bought
why don't you have an AIO on it
>because AIOs are totally a meme bro, look at my sweet Noctua
why is there smoke coming out of your case
>its a light overclock, hits high temps some times but it's okay its just some metal
what sort of temps are you at
>um like 30c on idle but when the CPU is on load it hits like 130c
why don't you get an AIO for better temps
>bro i can't fall for those memes!

I keep thinking their marketing department is run by a 15 year old

Intel should troll us all and call their next shit "meme lake" instead

The process itself is terrible for high clocks as it's designed for low power mobile designs which generally clock lower. A plus is the increased efficiency though.
Voltage walls are normally always introduced by the manufacturing process rather than the architecture.

A nice example for this were the Qualcomm Krait cores.
The quad-core S4 Pro clocked at 1.4 GHz, while the quad-core 805 clocked at 2.6 GHz. Both run at around the same voltage at maximum frequency.
The core design itself was virtually unchanged and the only difference was them switching from 28 nm LP to 28 nm HPm

>dripper

heh

>tfw AMD's behemoth processors are going to fucking annihilate Intel in work that actually matters
>tfw companies are going to snap up these threadripper chips because they cost so much less and can do much more than Intel counterparts
>tfw Sup Forums continues to bash Ryzen because it gets 120 frames in muh gaymes instead of 150 like the Jewtel 7777k (only $399 goy)

Intels chips were overpriced because they could charge that much without a second thought from consumers.

Now watch as Intel releases their own 8c/16t chips for $450 that shit all over Ryzen.

BTFO to Sup Forums, retard, stop garbaging this board.

>BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
>hey bro is there buzzing coming from your case?
>nah brah I don't hear it
>*buzzing intensifies*
>bro is that your water pump in your Corsair H1200i Liquid Max Dick Replacement?
>t'cha brah, but I can't hear it
>bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
>BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
>BZZZZZ-
>water is spilled on motherboard, looks like the cheap as fuck chinese fitting broke

Watercooling is a fucking meme, and AIOs are an even bigger meme.

>Intel
>reducing prices

TOPKEK

Even when AMD was undoubtedly the best with the 4000 series, it still didn't outsell Nvidia. Right now, Nvidia has an incredible lead and if Volta comes out soon, then we will be looking at an AMD with no answer to the entire lineup until Navi hits in Q4 2018 to Q1 2019. That's just terrifying. I'm hoping their Vega lineup can at least best mid-highend Pascal. They are being way too secretive with Vega, why haven't they said anything? This just puts doubt instead of hype. I have a bad feeling it's going to turn out into a disaster, with high end Vega not even besting the 1080Ti. Nvidia still has the Titan Xp, so they could release another Ti revision to fuck things up.

Still relevant today.

My sisters husband makes about two million USD (converted from the local currency) a year.

He's the only one I know who buys rigs like that for gaming. Then again he has 3 copies of some BlueRay movies because he pretty much works 24/7 and my sister does too (she also has a demanding high-paying job but not that high-paying) so they think "Oh that's a movie I want to see" and buy it and then they forget and buy it again (and again).

There's a bit of a difference between a kid asking for a Razer headset even though it's got garbage audio quality because he's seen it on youtube and a kid asking for a $4000 gaming-rig. Parents may give into one of those but I doubt many will buy some kid a rig that will cost them a months salary.

I didn't know the process could make such a huge difference. That's really interesting. I'm curious for the ZEN revision on 14nm+ now.

Those two are actually going to be roughly even in heat and power consumption. Intel and AMD don't measure TDP the same way.

Jokes on you, AMD IPC is better than intel's.

What's happening is that intel is releasing an i9 series (MAKE MORE CORES), while AMD are making better processors with still more cores.
Intel's like:
>Hah, 8 cores? Take this, 10 CORES!
AMD is like
>Yeah dude we're on 32 now glhf

TDP isn't measured, it's assigned.

They take the power draw and then assign a TDP for that number- it's a number that's designed to be used when designing cooling for the chip.
So it is a number that means you need x amount of cooling, not that it uses x amount of watts.
It's a subtle difference, complicated by the fact that watts in does equal watts out, but people have trouble understanding that TDP is not watts out.

Nah, Intel took it way too easy. They should have been like Nvidia, being relentless instead of releasing Sandy Bridge for 6 years. Now not only are they behind on IPC, they're also behind on efficiency. Intel process manufacturing is smaller than the competition and it still consumes more power than Ryzen. The moment AMD gets higher clocks and smaller nodes is when Intel is finished. 7nm is confirmed next generation, so they have until then. Skylake-X looks DOA to me and Naples is looking to be a killer as well.

youtube.com/watch?v=TZRgnlRPTTQ

>NVIDIA
>relentless
Of fucking course it's fucking GPUs. You can simply throw more hardware. NVIDIA does exactly that.

>trusting AMD """"TDP""""

Thermal Lakes
Steam Geysers
Volcanic Isles

Motherboards when?

I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE