/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

/sqt/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_TRWUJ1oZHc
ghacks.net/2017/02/11/blocking-telemetry-in-windows-7-and-8-1/
youtu.be/ra9cMaw4gWo
youtube.com/watch?v=3zpgQpdy_fI&t=210s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

This is the proper place for this mundane of a question.

Does anyone know if there is any real advantage to having the 3rd ed. of the CLRS Intro to Algorithms book as opposed to just settling for the 2nd ed.?

Thanks

Then, risking to be called out, where can I find pages that tell me which side is X sided?

On another point, fast news pages exists then?

>implying you can't just pirate it.

Perhaps it's placebo but I feel that I retain more when I read a physical copy plus both are relatively cheap as far textbooks go on abebooks

It is a .mkv file. I'm using MPC-HC,
and when I speed up the playback the subs go out of sync. It happens when I have VSFilter on, it werks on internal renderer, but I need VSFilter. How to fix this? What could be causing the desync in VSFilter?

I gotcha. the 2nd edition seems to be from 2001 and 3rd from 2009, with only 8 years of difference. the thing about comp sci is that the basics have been the same for like 20+ years. just get the 2nd.

Anyone else seeing ads like this on Sup Forums?

I am, yeah. I have ublock disabled on Sup Forums though.

Another book question.

I'm versed in C++ up to and including classes.

For learning more about the language should I read "The C++ Programming Language", "A Tour of C++", or the "C++ Primer"

Thanks again.

Can Windows be installed off of an external HDD? I don't own a flash drive.

>balding drumpftard

I really like how malwarebytes has these pop ups when it blocks a malicious ip but I don't want to pay for premium

What are my options for freeware that does the same thing?

How real is this WannaCry business that I keep hearing now?

I don't have any proper anti virus software on my PC except for some free edition of Avira.

I haven't tried it myself but I would assume so. It is a form of bootable media isn't it?

it is incredibly real, if you have unpatched windows, you are bonered. It uses an exploit that is wormable, so if your router lets stuff in you are done. If you connect to a network with infected devices you are done, etc.

I would say it's not much to worry about as an individual, it appears that it's mainly been infecting corporations and larger networks like hospitals.

From what I've heard it's totally preventable by the March Windows update (assuming you're using Windows) and it's a nonproblem for GNU/Linux.

How do I h4X a facebook?

Problem: I can't boot Linux up from a hard drive. Pen drives work fine, but hard drives get a No Bootable Device error. Secureboot is off. Tested the hard drive in another laptop and it boots up without any trouble, so the problem seems to be in the Acer hardware.

Laptop model: Acer Aspire ES11, uses UEFI

Over the past few days I've been working on getting past this problem, I've tried three different distros and read dozens of guides, some of which advise resetting the GPT (GUID Partition Table) record. This gets a write error.
Others advise making the new boot trusted. There is no option for this on this model, though I've seen screenshots of other Acer laptops that do have it.

So anyway, to get right to the point, what is the quickest way to commit suicide without access to firearms or poison?

You'd probably have to partition off a piece of the HDD for it to work properly.

I've been keeping up with the essential updates on my Win7 PC. I'm just going to try and install the other optional updates I have in my Control Panel.

Looking to upgrade my gpu from a gtx580 to a 1050ti, will my i5 750 bottleneck it? Am I better off getting a cheaper card and upgrading my cpu as well? I apologize in advance for my tech illiteracy.

How do I mod a dll? I tried resource hacker but when I substitute an icon in shell.dll it changes the item number and I can't adjust it.

I'm smarter than John Carmack

bought a 128GB samsung usb 3.0 drive with phone connectivity.

i have used it for over 100gb before.

i recently used it as a boot drive for a windows 10 install for an old thinkpad t-420.

now it claims to only have a 32gb capacity.

what gives?, how do i fix?

>google search is too scattered for this specific problem.

What is the correct way of saying "I learned the basics of Linux" for the purpose of impressing a teacher?

You guys yammer on about GNU/Linux when in reality I just mean I have been using Linux Mint for so long (and tried other distros) that I can use it well. Thanks!

Sure you are John

"i have a working knowledge of linux, i thought you gnu"

My sides

what is the most redpilled laptop to buy?

Since you used it for a Windows install, I'll just assume you're running Windows
Open CMD
diskpart
list disk
sel disk (disk # of your USB drive)
clean
format fs=ntfs quick
assign
exit

You're done.

I'm using Columns UI and the filter has two buttons next to it, "favorite" and "clear"

It let's me remove the "clear" button to clear my favorites with, but I can't remove the ugly favorite button.

Does anyone know how to get rid of it?

I have way more computers than I need don't judge me but I just did a cleaning on my Windows 7 and Windows 8 machines and I can't get them to update worth a shit. They both get stuck at checking for updates and just hang there for hours.

I googled a bit and it tells me to reset the update service and all this shit but none of it works.

Wait I'm stupid as fuck
before "format fs=ntfs quick"
do:
create part pri

I did a clean install of Windows 7. What is the best way to download the security updates while avoiding the telemetry updates? Is there a list to go through or an easier way to install just the non-telemetry updates?

or this:
youtube.com/watch?v=_TRWUJ1oZHc

A guide like this does what you want
ghacks.net/2017/02/11/blocking-telemetry-in-windows-7-and-8-1/
It's not just updates that do telemetry, so you need to block hosts etc

It's just a video detailing exactly what I already explained
I prefer text tutorials so I typed it out rather than just linking a video
Either method works though, as long as you get the problem sorted. Good luck!

What would happen if I just used a LiveUSB for word processing and shitposting, and saved all permanent data on a second USB drive?
Say, what would the damage be after a year of that kind of regular use?

My question has nothing to do with being unable to boot up from a hard drive on my Acer Aspire ES11 laptop.

thank you both. the video worked for me. almost identical solutions.
128 billion bytes back at my beckon call.

Just backup the data that's on that second USB to the cloud to be safe
Or some other storage medium
You'll be fine as long as you have a second copy of the data.

forget doge,
khat = new meme!

Cool. That helps a lot to get started. Thank you.
I have one more question. Are the monthly quality rollups okay to install such as the May rollup? I didn't see anything about it on the page unless I completely missed it.

Have another one

Honestly I'm immensely frustrated right now
I was dissatisfied with default user interface foobar, but columns seems somehow worse
Locking panels to their size keeps not working properly, the window size isn't locked like it would be with default foobar, this is just shit

I can't even see how many items are in a playlist if I don't open it and count them

Who on earth thought it would be a good idea to have a music player that doesn't just have a blank field where I can type in song names to find them in my library, no who would want that lets put some faggot button there you can't get rid off wouldn't that be hilarious
Fuck this

I'm currently a student majoring in psychology and I'm not sure if this is what I want to do (idk if I'll survive long enough to see my master's). Is computer science all that's it cracked up to be? I have four friends who are majoring in it and they all laugh at me for picking psychology over cs.

Latest update, I know you're all on the edge of your seats.
I successfully restored the GPT record by giving the hard drive a password, which for some reason allowed the laptop to write the laptoppy computer thing on the laptop's brain. Yes.

However, this accomplished jack shit. I reinstalled Fedora on the new GPT-friendly thing and also got a No Bootable Device error.

I attempted booting the HDD from a SATA-USB link like a LiveUSB, but this was not recognised by the computer.

I've tried using a LiveUSB boot in the same way that I would use a normal HDD installed operating system, but it turns out that it is unable to access data on other USB drives or USB-hooked-up hard drives. So that means it is completely useless.

So anyway, since Linux is apparently useless and incompatible with my non-refundable new laptop, whose name, Acer Aspire ES11, will forever resonate in my nightmares, my only option left seems to be Winblows.

Could someone remind me how to pirate Winblows? I haven't done it in like seven years.

First off, this is the kind of stupid question that belongs more in /adv/ than in Sup Forums.

Secondly, people who laugh at other for their major choice didn't pick their major because they love it, they likely picked it for job security in which case they'll likely be miserable because they didn't try to strive at what they love but at rather what they believed to be trendy and marketable.

If you like psychology and could see yourself doing psychology long term than I think you should do it.

It's easier to make more money with a CS degree sure, but if you have passion for your field I'm sure you can find your way to making CS money albeit with a little more education.

tl;dr If you like it stick with it, if you don't don't

Does pointing a table fan at the laptop's ventilation cools it

>ok this is bullshit let's go back default user interface then
>album art display can't be set to just display what is currently playing and keep going to [no image] when I click on or highlight absolutely fucking anything at all
>facets component takes fucking forever to load album art
>double clicking on playlists doesn't start to play them, you need to click on a playlist and then double click a random item in the playlist viewer to get it to start

There's this video:
youtu.be/ra9cMaw4gWo [Open]

Can anyone post the screenshot of only the top left corner when the person is actually racing? Also post the time when you took screenshot.

Also can anyone confirm that it is playable in 2160p60 on youtube?

Has there been any WannaCry update released for Windows 7 RTM? The only one I can find on Microsoft's page is for 7 SP1.

fast photo viewer that natively supports gif and webm for windows?

>and webm
no

No

Is configuring a dual boot in grub difficult(in Arch)?
I need a Windows machine for my study.

MPV or MPC+HC for webm.
Webm is video even if it seems more like a gif due to the forced lack of audio on most of Sup Forums.

Yes, to some degree.
It gives it more airflow.

Nah, you just need to install os-prober and do grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg. I couldn't ever get it working with loader-cracked windows 7 for some reason though.

Forgot to mention, but you need to put the table fan under the laptops fan! XDD

>Mouse wheel is louder than two deaf retards fucking

Anyone else had this problem and fixed it?
Asking before I take my mouse apart.

How do you deal with creeping botnet apathy? Every day feels like more and more of a pointless struggle. Likes half a decade from now we will have some stupid internet ID system like South Korea has, to "protect the children" or whatever excuse they come up with. Not like 90% of people even care, so of course it keeps getting worse and worse. Not like I want to give up but some days I wonder what the point is.

Just take it apart and clean it from cum dust.
That should do the job.

It was loud from the factory, if anything cum dust would silence it.

About to return a school owned computer for the summer, what's the best way to delete all data? It got Windows 10 Pro, would it be stupid to activate BitLocker, encrypt everything and then restore it?

Okey you got me, open it and put some W40 on the moving part of the scroll wheel.

Fill its hard disk completely with large files, then encrypt it and format.

Why would filling it with large file help if it's already encrypted?

low level format

Just that or with BitLocker on?

Took it apart, put a piece of plastic in between the clicker. Now it's silent.

My computer is broken, do you know what's wrong with it? It's an hp. Thanks.

Here have fun

But that doesn't answer my question. I tried that watercooling thingy, but it failed.

When Unix documentation refers to commands like time (1) or ls (4) or whatever, what does the number mean?

what is the most redpilled laptop to buy?

it's referring to the unix manual sections
>1 User Commands
>2 System Calls
>3 C Library Functions
>4 Devices and Special Files
>5 File Formats and Conventions
>6 Games et. al.
>7 Miscellanea
>8 System Administration tool and Daemons

x60 or t60

So I bought this shit cheap phone on ebay and it has an app that keeps installing shit on it's own from the play store.

I rooted phone and tried to delete app but when i restart it reappears.

How do I actually access the files to delete them?

I've opened the folders on pc and deleted then on restart they're all back again

How can I get into the files and make them stop please!

Nightly broke my addons again.

Did 'upgrading' to windows 10 from windows 7 invalidate the license you have for windows 7?
I'm wondering whether the license key for windows 7 would still be valid to install with after having installed windows 10.

nah

I "upgraded" Windows 10, then reinstalled Windows 7 and was good with the same Windows 7 key I used for 10

What is a really comfortable mouse to use that is plugandplay

why is cdrom spinning speed not a constant?
why is inner spinning faster and outer spinnig slower?

Are you joking?

Hello, I'm very sorry for the long post, had trouble writing it in short.

I am looking to upgrade from a pirated Windows 7 (activated with Dazloader, which was NOT downloaded from official mydigitallife forums but somewhere else I don't remember)

I would like to upgrade to a purchased version of Windows 10 Home 64 bit because my cousin gifted me an official version (the USB-stick version)

However I wonder if it wouldn't be better to just replace my HDD (I've got two in there, both had Windows on there activated the same way) or perhaps even other parts of my computer to prevent any issues (thinking of maybe Motherboard because flash memory or BIOS memory)

I will explain why I think it could give me problems.

I'm a bit worried the pirated version or the loader I used it with which may not have been completely safe will leave it's tracks on my HDD (read about cleaning HDD only hides the files and allows them to be overwritten but doesn't delete) which then may cause my official version key, which my cousin has bought me, to be duplicated and used in the dazloader program or something else that the pirated version had that's left on either the motherboard or HDDs might rip / duplicate my official version or bug it in a way or another.

TL;DR - Would it be better to replace certain parts of the computer for maximum safety when I want to upgrade from a pirated Windows 7 (activated with Dazloader downloaded not from mydigitallife) to a purchased official Windows 10?
I'm looking very much forward to receiving answer(s), hope someone can help me out, would be great!
Sorry for the long post,thank you very much for reading!

I'm about to buy the Linux meme.

Is Neon a good option?

Simple Internet use and some minor multimedia stuff only

no

Is Chromecast not supposed to work with Chromium on Linux?

Is it not supposed to work on Chromium at all?

Is there any kind of movie editing program that allows me to cut the frame a little bit?

I need short movie to be used as a part of product presentation and I wanted to cut out the part of the frame that doesn't show the product at all, but instead it shows my ugly mug.

It's supposed to work on both.

What distro are you on?

>why is cdrom spinning speed not a constant?
The laser needs to be relocated to the right sector(kernel sends the sector information)
>why is inner spinning faster and outer spinnig slower?
Actually the inner is spinning slower but the read is quicker.

It's more or less like this

you could do a layer on top with chromakey in after effects or vega if the right side is static or doesn't clip the product

Please respond, I've been trying to get an answer since 4 threads now

>youtube.com/watch?v=3zpgQpdy_fI&t=210s

just do a full wipe when you reinstall. windows doesn't really care about people pirating windows as much as you think.

>Actually the inner is spinning slower but the read is quicker.
yes this is my question, everywhere online is written that constant linear vilocity spins the disk faster when used around the middle and slower when going to the outer

Thank you, a full wipe would be done trough the Windows install right?
I will start the Windows 10 installer and choose to format / wipe the disc there or should I hook it up to another PC and clean beforehand?
Also, one final question please, do you think the remains of the Windows Loader could have a negative effect on my new fresh install of Windows?
Perhaps it duplicates my legit key and uses it in their program or will corrupt my Windows files in one way or another.
Hope that you can answer this final question I have too, would be much appreciated. :)

openSUSE Tumbleweed.