Other urls found in this thread:

josephg.com/blog/electron-is-flash-for-the-desktop/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Hoare
i.imgur.com/6nZ2Vd8.png
blog.Sup
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

There is literally nothing wrong with VS Code

josephg.com/blog/electron-is-flash-for-the-desktop/

>Also all you web devs: Go learn C or Rust or something. Your program runs on a computer. Until you know how that computer works, you're doomed. And until then get off my lawn shakes fist.

C. A. R. Hoare about PL/I, but perfectly applicable to Electron as well:
At first I hoped that such a technically unsound project would collapse but I soon realized it was doomed to success. Almost anything in software can be implemented, sold, and even used given enough determination. There is nothing a mere scientist can say that will stand against the flood of a hundred million dollars. But there is one quality that cannot be purchased in this way — and that is reliability. The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.

>Developers don't let friends write electron apps. If you want to use JS and react to make a native app, try react native instead. Its like electron, but you don't need to distribute a copy of chrome to all your users, and we don't need to run another copy of chrome to use your app. It turns out modern operating systems already have nice, fast UI libraries. So use them you clod!

Probably never, because there will always be more Javascript fag developers meme millenials dab

>And I bet the slack team doesn't know either. How many lines of code do you think the slack team wrote to make their client work? I'd guess around 50k. Maybe 100k. But slack isn't a native app.
>At least - not a normal native app. Its built on top of electron, so when you download slack you're actually downloading a complete copy of Google Chrome. Chrome, at the time of writing is 15 million non-comment lines. When you download slack, 99% of the code is 'below the water'.

is that some kind of shitty video? do I want to watch it?

>smc fan control
>not macs fan control

>It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
I would question the use of "most hard" where "hardest" would have sufficed. Very sloppy thinking, which brings into question his initial assertion. The guy writes like an uppity engineer rather than a classical scientist.

Before you talk shit: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Hoare

I don't even know what 90% of that shit is.

>hyper
>terminal emulator in html, css and javascript

just kill me

>Proprietary

well, he is a macfag so of course he would prefer proprietary poopware

what the fuck

When people start worrying about security or performance. So maybe in 3 decades if we're lucky

give it a little longer and the sheer bloat will collapse into a supermassive black hole

this

>type in time seq 100000
>wait for eternity
meanwhile my urxvt terminal finishes in 0.4 seconds

>time seq 100000

>seq 100000 0.00s user 0.02s system 109% cpu 0.019 total

get on my level senpai

what's your terminal senpai?

>echo $TERM
>rxvt-unicode-256color

I've the exact same. You sure you didn't miss a 0?

never mind I' a stupid nigger I was doing time seq 1000000
I've got 0.04s too

22s in emacs :^)
>real 0m22.294s

i get ~0.14s in xfce4-terminal

I was doing one million in my terminal, I'm getting 0.04 with 100000

0,75 in putty. Damn.

a stupid CIA nigger if I may add

yeahh, emacs shell-mode isn't great.
I think it really depends on the hardware of your pc.
But in theory a xterm based terminal would be quicker.

>apratheek

POO
O
O

BASED.
Seriously, this meme needs to die as soon as possible.

I'm a newbie programmer who knows a little C and a little python. I know css.

I wanted to make a small game that I could share with my friends, but all the GUI stuff has a pretty steep learning curve ( I actually want to package it to be multi platform) .

I thought web apps were my savior. Am i wrong?

>inb4 git gud

It gets used because there's otherwise no easy crossplatform way to write desktop software.

If you show electron developers a way to make desktop software that's as easy and predictable as electron then they'll use it.

Sup Forums like to pretend it's getting used because of hipsters that won't let go of javascript, but it's being used because it's the only fucking way to write one codebase for all your platforms.

Java is a piece of shit with horrible UI libraries. C# is stuck with either ancient WinForms that still don't fucking work right on mono after all these years or Xamarin wanna-be mobile shit.

How newbie are you, newb?

Web app is good for multiplatform. Depends if it's just going to be front end, if you want to do some server communication, then you'll have to learn some backend as well and I somehow doubt you want to get into that.

Why not just go with Unity?

>using the smiley with a carat nose

C++ and Qt? Literally anything + Qt?

LUL C-babbies don't know what OPCODES are. Come back when you grow real understanding of CPUs.

Also get with the time dork

this
Web applications & Electron applications are what everyone does now because it's easily cross-platform and can be deployed and updated whenever you want, as well as having a code base more accessible to the vast majority of programmers.

Ok Pajeet.

Fucking this. I've been using Py + Qt for plenty of my desktop apps and although it's a pain to use shitty GUI libs compared to HTML and CSS, I get a working product out of it and it does everything I need.

get a free game engine and it's easy
unity or gamemaker or whatever

> it does everything I need

This. I'm actually seriously considering migrating to VS Code from my 7 year old vim and tmux setup. Autocompletion and debugging is actually really well done in VS Code.

It's the only Electron application I've used that isn't complete garbage.

You guys know about tech or whatever, maybe you guys can explain
Why was I seeing duplicate post numbers with weird flashing images before the server went down or whatever

Same here, the only memory issue I had was with an extension that was coded with less skills than MS's average.

>discord electron app
>still no stable linux release
>slack electron app
>video calls feature is broken on some linux distros
>latest screen share feature not supported on linux

The only thing it buys you is being able to hire javascript monkeys.

you must have a spooky virus pajeet

I'm developing a video game based on electron using vscode. ama

cpu is at 1% on my Arch Linux(tm) machine

0.03s inside a terminal emulator embedded in my Visual Studio Code(tm). Sup Forums doesn't allow me to post a screenshot unfortunately

electron is godsent for games heavy on ui and somewhat low on graphics

why would you want javascript monkeys anyway

Except I never use the desktop version of any electron app because there is a non bloated web version available that actually works on all platforms.

>Sup Forums doesn't allow me to post a screenshot unfortunately

t. javascript "developer"

you sure seem to know your way around computers senpai

Slack is such a shitty memory hog.

I guess there's no reason since Typescript is superior

It must be spreading because I saw other people report the same thinf

>electron is godsent for games

what type of games would that be user

I'm a Java programmer actually

here's another screenshot for you i.imgur.com/6nZ2Vd8.png

>discord is supposed to be less resource intensive than Skype
>literally runs electron
>skype uses 2-3x less than discord
Fuck this pajeet tier shit

Not everyone is so autistic they won't use a program because of what tech it was built with.

>I will swallow anything that gets shoved into my mouth

ok pajeet

so this is the power of java

games that have 2d graphics and shitload of complex ui

btw this is from blog.Sup Forums.org/