/retro/ - old shit inc

Post your old technology Sup Forums!
Anything you personally consider old, retro or obscure. Wether that be an analog computer from the 50's or a Pentium 4.

Playing memewave on my 380ed this morning
youtu.be/uIR5RAdtT2U

What is this monstrosity?

bruh

underage b&

ISA expansion backplane
>t. projection pro
when the fuck did you see any of that shit out in the wild back then

Does anyone have good, reliable source for batteries for old laptops? I ordered a replacement battery for my Thinkpad 570 and it ended up being a junk battery that couldn't hold a charge.

I think most guys I've seen here repack theirs, dunno what you could do for non-liion batteries though.

Looks like GOOGLE security!!! Now they ask - "If you want to recover your username or password, please try this recovery process. (Learn more) It’s possible that you still may not be able to recover your account after finishing the process. We are very sorry that we cannot provide you further help in this case, so we recommend you to create a new account.

ANOTHER of the free bowl of cold shit!!! Thanks but not thank, Gaguuuboble.

I've been waiting for this

You won't be able to find batteries for shit that old in recently manufactured condition
Gotta get new cells

LOL.... classic from long days.

>when the fuck did you see any of that shit out in the wild back then
I had a 386 on a backplane system. You seem to be the projection pro here.

Such comfy

>retro palmtops

That resolution tho

Mine was a TSR. Radio Shack using my TV as monitor and my cassette recorder was my backup.

>2007
does anyone use it anymore?

hey i have one of these
doesnt work tho

not the same thing my man

That hat is basically a fedora now.

>dunno what you could do for non-liion batteries though
I used to be able to kick some life into old NiCd cells by giving them a short (Don't let the cell overheat or the cable weld to the cell) jolt of 12v to realign the crystal structure.
Also works good for getting rid of the memory effect from used batteries.

I probably don't have to point this out but trying the same with a lithium battery is not recommended, ever.
Unless you are looking for 72 virgins.

I've got this older Pentium III Sony Vaio, but unfortunately I've been unable to find a 19.5V/2.15A power adapter for it so I'm not even sure if it works.

>mfw playing /vr/

The battery in my 570 says it's liion pack.

I don't have any experience repacking batteries but I would like to get this thing back up and running off the charger.

>drive bay covers missing

Anime website

pic related may be familiar to anyone who's ever taken a 5151 apart.

kek, fpbp

Awe yea, love me some Sun

Good old Aopen HX08 fulltowers, i miss them.
Too bad the internal layout was hell with IDE cables.

Is that Roxy lolonde?

How loud is that thing?

It was on par with a typical desktop with the original fans. I replaced them with some modern 120s and the thing is quiet as a whisper now. Heck, I sleep in the same room while it's on, since it is my homeserver.

Found these in a PCB dump.
Never seen anything like them.
They are coated with a clear rubbery substance.

And as for data storage...

That case is a e s t h e t i c to an unseen level.

Those are neat, looks like little IC's that just have a transparent coating instead of the regular black injection moulded plastic.
Not sure if they were designed for anything special but they sure look cool

Maybe for uv clearing?

Looks like they are custom hybrids made with bare silicon dies directly bonded to the tracks of a ceramic substrate. Probably coated with some kind of silicone compound to avoid the poor little dies from moving around and dislodging themselves. I'd say this is sort of the equivalent of a modern epoxy glob-top chip-on-board, excpt on a neat DIP.

>tfw windows 9X laptops have finally undergone price inflation and now most working models are like £70+
I never thought it would happen.
it feels like yesterday there was a glut of the things.

I would love to have one of those with an ARM or MIPS-processor.

What? It's pretty typical.

>tfw missed the chance to buy some guy's Silicon Graphics collection for 500€

Were at that point now where most pre-2000 technology that wasn't meticulously maintained is now at the point of failure and general degradation and shit.
There's loads of old 90's thinkpads out there that are in absolute garbage shape or aren't working, missing parts, scraped up bodies, damaged screens, missing or broken keys, etc
So the ones that are in great shape are simply worth a lot more. Like my 380ED. Internally its flawless. I gutted it, cleaned the fuck out of it, checked all the parts, all is well. I restored the body to an extent, it wasn't too bad to start but I cleaned up some scratches and stuff.
The HDD is in good shape, no bad noises or anything, temps are good, everything works fine, screen has a bit of bright burn from years of use but its still in pretty good shape compared to some I've seen.
Still gets a good 2 hours of battery life too.

Then comes issue two with old shit like this, replacement parts. It is not easy to find a motherboard for something like that, nor an original CD and Floppy drive, keys are hard to come by, let alone a full keyboard, screens are not interchangeable with other models for the most part, and if you have a fucked up body on the thing getting new body panels is not easy.

So the people who want these are going to look for 100% intact and functional models in good cosmetic shape, because unlike with say a T60, you're not going to find that little plastic bit that's not included

Id say within 5 years anything 1990 to 1999 is going to be on a collector only basis much like old amigas and commodores are today

kind want to get myself one of these off of jewbay, too bad there probably aren't a lot of applications out there to take advantage of the creator 3D cards that you can find easily

>Were at that point now where most pre-2000 technology that wasn't meticulously maintained is now at the point of failure and general degradation and shit.
Hardly, that shit was resilient as fuck, and the DoA rate where I'm at is maybe 15% at worst. Recycling is the real killer, but hell '90s shit has been expensive forever on the internet anyway. Jews will do what jews always do.

Replacement parts beyond the "standard" assortment of disks and RAM were always a bitch especially on portables especially if you don't want to be a halfass about it, this has never changed.

This is one of my latest finds

1992 Compaq Contura 3/25

I'm gonna try to hunt down the power supply for it

Is my IBM T41p suitable for this thread?

i wouldnt say its really retro but its definitely old, obsolete and interesting

THICC
H
I
C
C

EWWW LOOK AT THIS FUCKING BRICK INCEL INCEL ICKY ICKY

>incels
elll emm ayyy ohhh

the keyboard has a tape in it. wtf?

Great taste in games

it's ridiculously good for such a setup

That's a pretty common thing back then.
Tape was used for much more than just music and video

kindof blows my mind to know that you could load up a game from a tape. could you play a tape on a regular radio?

Yea but you wouldn't get anything discernable out of it
There were some that had like the games soundtrack on the tape if it was played like that
Kind of like how some early Disney dvds played music if put in a CD player but more old school

Fug. I am a big Phillips fanboi and i had no idea that existed....

> MSX system version 1.0
> Copyright 1983 by microsoft

ahhhh now it makes sense

this guy wins

is the hardware in there actually so big that it fills that case?

wtf, LGR posts on Sup Forums?

>SONY portable MD DATA
MIND=BLOWN

idk. i saved it from an old thread.

you can solder new parts to the really old thinkpads. i could do it even to a t23