/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (try to use a search engine that respects your benis such as searx, ixquick or startpage).

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/rndusr/stig
aur.archlinux.org/packages/stig/
reddit.com/r/linux/comments/6bf78x/i_named_my_daughter_linux/
domain.com:81
domain.com
domain.com
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for Arch,

!

Explain this

>asp
Use asp its literally the same thing

if it's the same thing, why call it differently?

>HURR DURR
>IT WORKS DIFFERENTLY
Its the same god damn thing

I'm not complaining about the change itself
I'm complaining because I still don't get it

They dont want to deal with abs anymore.They are removing it.asp is now how you interact with it.
Stop being autistic

How do i use apparmor and audit without it spamming me tty(before i even log in) with log spam?

but what's the difference between the two
why is it hard to maintain abs and not asp
my brain is itching and I want to know

Go fucking ask their IRC.
This is how it is.Make your own fork and have nothing but abs as the sole means of installation if you wanted

I need to disable i3lock on lid close, but for the life of me I can't find out how. every path google puts me down shows nowhere that i3lock is called. it's only mentioned once in the i3 config, which I've changed to no effect.
All the help I'm finding has the opposite problem of not knowing how to activate i3lock on lid close, so presumably I did one of them at some point several browsers ago.
Help pls.

Stop using Google.

how helpful and friendly. it's startpage.

What are some cool terminal commands?

cat

tac

Is spending lots of my free time learning Gentoo and it's intricacies going to be worth it in the long run? Is Gentoo really as powerful and worthwhile as people make it out to be?

No.
Its more of a hobby os then arch is

It's just like any other distro.

Both of these posts are false, unfortunately.

GNU/Linux noob here, should I install ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS or ubuntu 17.04 what's the actual difference?

>inb4 install windows

It's all the same, people just have trouble to get it.
Just use whatever you want.

Unfortunaly it isnt.
EVERY source based distro is a old mans hobby distro.By the time you're done updating your system you have an entirely new set of packags you need to compile.Gentoo is just a game to see if you can compile 100% of the time,you even stop using your os and just watch the compile

What is the most stable distro, I tried Ubuntu Gnome 17.04 and Fedora 25 so far, after I'm done installing everything I need (Chromium, Pycharm, Discord, Text editors and gnome extensions) shit manages to crash or break in some way. How do I achieve something that will work for long periods of time with no crashes or anything breaking?

Debian stable.

stig

it's a new tui client for transmission-daemon, pic related

github.com/rndusr/stig
aur.archlinux.org/packages/stig/

Enjoying no games faglords. Come back to windows it's more secure than that hobby OS. Nobody professional works on it.

RHEL.

Okay, kid.

How do i make bash have similar fuzzy completion as zsh?

>and then he said " Enjoying no games faglords. Come back to windows it's more secure than that hobby OS. Nobody professional works on it."

bad troll is bad

wtf I love windows now

At least we can agree on something, haha

What exactly do you mean by fuzzy?

you still replied

He/she wasn't that bad considering that he/she has up to 5 replies

>sheckel hat is now "professional"

Making Red Hat as main linux OS is a good thing, Sup Forums?

@60451152
Not anymore!

I could type 'linux-' and a list of things that have "linux-" in them within the given folder would popup as a selection,then using again would cycle between the available options

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Devuan is my wife's son's name, lol

bind 'tab:menu-complete'

reddit.com/r/linux/comments/6bf78x/i_named_my_daughter_linux/

Put this in your .bashrc
bind 'set show-all-if-ambiguous on'
bind 'TAB:menu-complete'

I'm glad the "((()))" spammer and anti-RMS shill has left these threads.

Thank you for reminding him to come back.

To those who spread the misinformation about wannacry on GNU/Linux. Are you proud of yourself? Do you think this fearmongering belongs into a friendly thread? Why did you link to that stupid youtuber who can't differentiate between a system and a kernel?

Compared to Windows, GNU/Linux is a lot more secure in virtually every distribution.

I'm so happy to have made a major impact on /fglt/, you must have really woken up.

telemarketers

any way to fix shitty font rendering in fedora?

>him
It's a girl actually

I neve left baby

What misinformation are you referring to? Wanna cry can harm a GNU system assuming WINE is installed. That's really all anyone is saying.

What is your favorite init system?

BSD style plaintext scripts

I don't have a favorite. Historically I have always used systemd, but am considering making the switch to OpenRC.

arch

there is no way in hell that's real. i wanna see a fucking birth certificate.

Do you know what wannacry does on a system?

it encrypts files

What to do when domain.com:81 redirects correctly to domain.com but domain.com just gets connection error? I'm using apache2 and ubuntu server.

Yes, do you?

r/techsupport is that way

friendly thread!!!

You'll probably have a better chance finding your answer on Reddit than you will here.

ask sqt,

so how do i listen to a radio stream using mpd/ncmpcpp? I put the address into a .m3u file, but that timeouts

curl the stream and put the real address into the m3u

How do i enable apparmor for kernels other then mainline?
The config option is set in the kernel,but im unable to start apparmor

You need better CNAME rules my man.

>Trump orders backdoors in linux kernel
>Lincucks cucked again

Okay, how does it do that?

Yes. Aren't you bothered as well?

Probably apache is listening 81 and 443, change it to 80 and 443.

archwiki

Bothered about what, malicious programs? Yes I am.

No, about these hysterical responses.

There is nothing relating to it on the auditd page or the apparmor page

>plaintext scripts
As opposed to binary scripts.

Oh you mean people saying things along the lines of how GNU/Linux is just as vulnerable as Windows? I don't take personal offense to such statements or agree with them. People will say stupid things, and I am not exception.

BSD init scripts makes it easy to modify, easiest of any other init.

I accidentally deleted modules.conf
how do I get it back (it's not in the trash).

I have an old 2013 Macbook Air that I would really prefer to have a linux machine. After having to do a blind install of a driver for the monitor without the use of the monitor, the problems I'm having are still... many:

>The trackpad registers every touch as a click
>2-finger touches register as a zoom-in command on some programs
>3 finger touches do not register at all
>The audio only works when I have headphones plugged in and then it plays out of the speakers
>Every time I close the the screen it goes to sleep but then won't wake up when I open it.
>If I ever get it to turn back on my jiggling a USB mouse the keyboard won't work anymore.
>When the battery is fully charged it says 75%
>It dies when it gets down to 65%
>The wifi only works when the battery just about full
>The screen brightness buttons both just toggle the screen on and off
>The keyboard backlight up button turns the speaker volume up
>The keyboard backlight down button also turns the speaker volume up
>The volume down button also turns the speaker volume up
>Plugging in the charger causes it to freeze for a solid minute or more
>Unplugging it cause it to go to sleep which as stated above causes the keyboard to stop responding
>...and the light on the capslock key is always on

And this is just about the best experience I've gotten. I've tried Ubuntu, Kubuntu, very briefly tried Arch but couldn't get past the blind monitor install, I even tried Kali because they said they "support as many wireless devices as we possibly can." I've followed as many different tutorials for installing linux on my specific version of Macbook but most of them don't even get me halfway.

Is there just a linux distro that is pre-packaged to support mac hardware. I don't want to go back to MacOS but this is some bullshit.

nano /etc/modules.conf

Will the system rewrite data on it once I reboot?

No, it will create an empty modules.conf file

So I'm basically stuck with a broken install now?

Yes. Let this serve as a lesson.

Okay, I'm sick of the question game. What I wanted to point out is that wanna cry uses windows specific backdoors to spread. It needs permission to touch files in reach and it will try to encrypt your files as if it were on a windows machine.

Wanna cry can only "harm" a system that uses WINE locally. Even then, you'd probably have to run it with sudo or as root. WINE doesn't want you to do that and if you were to ignore this, you'd be more stupid than bread.

And NO, it doesn't simply require WINE to be installed. You need to run a binary with WINE. You do not have these backdoors in your system that are used to attack your machine regardless of user interaction. Pretending that having WINE installed somehow makes you vulnerable is fearmongering not befitting a friendly GNU/Linux thread.

install gentoo

That was the first one I tried because of you meme loving fucks. Couldn't figure out the monitor problem with no working monitor to solve it on.

I used dd (from the post in the previous /fglt thread) to write a Win7 ISO to a usb but when I tried booting from it, it says 'No Boot sector detected'

What did I do wrong/how should I fix it?

No?
Find the skeleton file and start making changes

this

>skeleton file
2spooky4me

In what universe does deleting posts actually remove them? Stop being annoying.

Did you choose it from your boot menu or did you let it go on its own and look for it on the hdd?