Hey guys we dumped the moar cores philosophy and increased our single threaded power by 120%!

>Hey guys we dumped the moar cores philosophy and increased our single threaded power by 120%!

>SIKE

arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/05/amd-ryzen-threadripper-price-specs-release-date/

Seriously, intel is on track to realease a 12 core 24 thread CPU later next year, why did the MOAR CORES mentality resurface?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.theregister.co.uk/2000/12/11/ibm_reveals_10ghz1/
amd.com/system/files/2017-05/TIRIAS-AMD-Single-Socket-Server.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=k4IInwBBHO4
arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/05/amd-ryzen-threadripper-price-specs-release-date/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

HEDT is all about MOAR CORES, dumbass.

HEDT needs more cores. The more, the better.

moar coars is only a bad thing if your cores suck

>Seriously, intel is on track to realease a 12 core 24 thread CPU later next year, why did the MOAR CORES mentality resurface?
well you see when intel released 10 coar broadwell-e last year for $1500 they realized that there are people stupid enough to pay for that instead of just getting a xeon.
so now they're putting out even moar coars.
and AMD now has a chip with 16 coars for the server market
so all they have to do is give it a new name, get some AIBs to design totally cool LED ARGB motherboards and they too can sell $1000 CPUs to a bunch of morons

>and AMD now has a chip with 16 coars for the server market
That's 32 cores Naples.

there's 16 core snowy owl

everything supports multicore now. single core things are obsolete.

This.

please go back to Sup Forums you fucking retard

>2017
We should have had 10+ghz processors by now

Quite a few things do multithreading so badly that single core performance still matters, intel are still jews tho

So sorry Tejas didn't work out for you.

that's HEDT, not server

No that's integrated server notice how it says it's bga

We already had 10 GHz CPUs in 2000:
m.theregister.co.uk/2000/12/11/ibm_reveals_10ghz1/

both the HEDT and server are LGA sockets with fucktons of pins

You're clinically retarded.

Yee dumb he means 10GHZ CPU for consumer.
not some one hit wounder.

>why did the MOAR CORES mentality resurface?
Intel can't push their 11 year old microarchitecture any further.

They might actually be required to make a NEW one, crazy huh.

Single core things are necessarily obsolete, as single core performance is multiplicative for multicore. However the reliance on single core only applications is going down.

And that's where the balancing act comes in, you could make a single core strong as all fuck, hell you could probably make a single core stronger than dual or quad cores, but the moment that something demands that single core's attention it's going to shoot itself in doing more things at once. That and that single core pretty fucking huge.

But there is the balancing act you add more single core performance or due add more multicore performance. I honestly think AMD has the balance pretty much perfect considering that it's package comes out smaller than kaby lake, but if you take AMD and Intel processors at the same clock rate AMD might lose slightly on single core applications but pulls ahead in multicore applications because they're just better at that. And most applications that people are willing to spend fuck load the money on use multicore rather than needing single core.

The focus on great single core performance is never going away, but the dominance of the single core being the be-all and end-all is dead.

The Pentium III was only 11 years ago?

time flies when youre a faggot

The next innovation with processors is likely to be variable clock rates between different parts of the CPU. Because honestly when you're in the middle of the CPU decoding the shit you could be running far faster than what we limit the CPU to currently. Unless my thinking of this is way the fuck off which it might be.

The Pentium III is nearly 20 years old
The P6 core architecture, which is still in current Intel CPUs is getting close to 25 years old.

>AYYYMD
can't wait for this poojet company to go bankrupt and all ayymdpoojets kill themselves

Those things are a power hungry heat monster.
Do not want.
You should be aware that that image is made by barneyfag.

>that image is made by barneyfag
you shoud fuck off back to plebbit newfag

You can't game on a Xeon. 1080p@60fps isn't even possible, and there's no Xeon CPU that will match the AMD R7 1700 for around the same price AND GAME.

Barneyfags romping ground. All 2hu spam and faggots pretending to be oldfags by saving old images and getting caught out because that meme didn't exist at that time stamp.

that image is fresh out of pixiv
also i9 meme is since nehalem
plebbit wants you back

Majority of algorithms is inherently serial.

Meh, I made an assumption because he's that much of an autist to try and fight for intel by adding 'oldfag' powerful ice fairy's to what is a firehouse slug.

AMD renamed its server Opteron processors to "EPYC"

KILL ME NOW.

That is bullshit though, the industry would literally suck you off if you got an extreme single core score in your cpu, this is also where multithreading comes in where a single core can simulate several cores. This is why the i7 7700k does so well. I hope AMD will increase they're IPC even more on Zen 2 because right now all these cores and threads won't be relevant until years forward.

based AMD, thank you for pushing the industry forward

if it weren't for you, I wouldn't have been able to get an 8 core cpu for

Yeah, but that multi core is only at 2-4 threads right now. Only heavy server applications and editing will be able to fully utilize it's potential. 8 threads and up won't get relevant until software development have stepped up their game and that will take years.

AMD marketing department is comprised of 12yo razer kids. Especially the "poor volta" ad while vega is forming to be underwhelming compared to even a year old pascal.

signal propagation...

more cores&threads = more simultaneous task.

/thread please.

This literally kills Xeon-D.

It's okay, this time it is Intel shills who will claim that games don't matter.
Until i9 hits the market, of course

P

Yes, that's why an 1800x is already faster than a 7700k in the overwhelming majority of use cases today. Oh wait.

>balancing act
I agree, if I was upgrading I'd be getting either a 1700 or a 1600 x/non-x, they are great offerings

Funny how most of those applications aren't day to day applications

Please define "day to day applications"

Facebook

>After Effect
>Handbrake
>Cinema4D
>Blender
>3DSmax
Those aren't day to day applications? Sure as fuck they are

6 cores is the new normal IMO. Even Intel is moving up to 6 cores for Coffee Lake S. The future is cores.

>go on /r/intel
>lol the i5 is still better than a ryzen competitor in gaming due to higher IPC (look up benchmarks) and the 6-core-futureproofing is bullshit, no one will see any mainstream 6/8 core utilization before 2021/2022/2023
>mfw
of course 6 cores is the normal, i5s are on their knees all the time and 4 cores i7 are at 70 - 80% utilisation in gaymes

2006:
>You don't need more than one core for gaming
2012:
>You don't need more than two cores for gaming
2017:
>You don't need more than 4 cores for gaming

Wait people actually run these on windows hahaha

Your average normie isn't going to notice Facebook dot cawm loading 15% faster. What they will notice is their computer doesn't slow to a crawl every time some background tasks decide to start munching on the CPU. Especially on their shitty laptops that are still on 2-4 cores w/o SMT.

P6 architecture hasn't been used since Yohan.

Current Intel architectures have almost nothing in common with P6 expect being based on x86 ISA.

Now to the real world benchmarks

>GayMansNextAss

>nvidia
not even once

Nothing wrong with his ass

SINGLE. SOCKET. HOLOCAUST.

> amd.com/system/files/2017-05/TIRIAS-AMD-Single-Socket-Server.pdf

> ~30% of 2S servers are only populated by one CPU, they just need the extra I/O or other features
> Only gotten because of Jewtels pricing and configuration tiers
> AMD's EPYC offers more features, increased I/O, more performance, and more memory per 1S server than Intel, at a cheaper TCOO

Oh dear.

More cherrypicked benchmarks please

>literally single socket holocaust
Lmao AMD is gassing the kikes at incredible speed.

ayyymd

>*release version

Nope, those are the most recent drivers

in the release drivers Nvidia had alot lower fps

youtube.com/watch?v=k4IInwBBHO4

That's how it works already. But everything inside a chip needs to be synchronized, no matter CPU or GPU, for input and out put.

One of the first things you get told as an undergraduate working with VLSI is that the slowest pat of a chip is the fastest the entire chip can run.

>arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/05/amd-ryzen-threadripper-price-specs-release-date/

>amd-ryzen-threadripper-price-specs-release-date
>price-specs-release-date
>price
>release-date

and this is why arse tech is fucking garbage, no mentioning of prices or specific release date

>release version

Yeah not like there isn't an entire thread calling this shit out at the moment