/fglt/

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (try to use a search engine that respects your benis such as searx, ixquick or startpage).

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games:
/t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/helixarch/debtap
superuser.com/questions/154303/is-there-a-us-international-keyboard-layout-on-linux-that-mimics-windows-behavi
i.imgur.com/SM1gH6p.png
i.imgur.com/P6ZFvJn.png
i.imgur.com/NgXzDTA.png
pastebin.com/rnDtdzt5
dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/
blackmagicdesign.com/au/products/davinciresolve
dl.google.com/linux/direct/google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First for Gentoo

:DDDDDDDDD AW FUGGG

I'm getting a 32GB USB3.0 thumbdrive and I'm going to put Kali on it for networking and diagnostics, or should I use AiO-SRT?

pls respond
Was this really never addressed? God damn it

Yes but you'll have to suck my dick to get it out of me

Should I switch to debian sid for daily use?

!!!

>Debian
Fuck no

That's twice a win for me user

Am i only fan of klipper actions?
its great bridge between GUI and binutils like sed, qrencode, awk etc.

probably yes. stable is outdated as fuck

github.com/helixarch/debtap

Should you? Maybe. If you want a semi-rolling release debian sid or testing both work.
Can you? Absolutely, I did it for a few months without many issues.

superuser.com/questions/154303/is-there-a-us-international-keyboard-layout-on-linux-that-mimics-windows-behavi

>without many issues.
what issues you meet?

Switch from what?

from stretch
i was previously on jessie and it took me a while to get used to it because it was such a huge change and many of my configs broke

This looks hacky as fuck so I skipped it. Guess I should give it a go.

Yeah I saw that one but I'm on the same boat of the OP there. Having to relearn to type in yet another layout is too much of a hassle, I already have to deal with 3 different layouts daily

anyone know what they did for good font rendering on Manjaro?

Might be your only option, unless you want to try converting the package to Arch as user suggested. I'll bump it down to trap picture since you've already seen that post

Well my wifi broke once and I had to edit a config file to fix it... can't remember everything but it wasn't bad overall.

Look up infinality,then look up and to reflect infinality settings with the updated fontconfig,unless you're on old packages then just use infinialityt

I'm installing fedora as my first ever linux distro, did I make the right choice?

Fedora is great if you can stick to the official repos.

Ubuntu and Suse is the most popular "first distro" but there inst anything like "bad choice" here.

How to fix “deauthentication by local choice”?

Its just on Ubuntu 16.10+ on 16.04 it works fine..

People generally aren't using infinality on Arch anymore since the harbuzz update broke it for everyone (January I think) and last I knew the maintainer has abandoned it and nobody is interested in continuing it anymore. There is a copypasta guide for getting similar fonts without infinality though. I can post it if there is demand for it. The default interpreter is pretty good now. Some decent fonts installed and a good fonts.conf is really all you need.

Blacklist harfbuzz and go on your way.
The new fontconfig looks NOTHING like infinality,even with all the configs and patched fonts.

>Blacklist harfbuzz and go on your way.
Well this is dumb. It broke months ago and nobody is maintaining infinality for arch.

>The new fontconfig
What is "the new font config".

>even with all the configs and patched fonts
We aren't talking about the same thing.

Linux - Wikipedia: i.imgur.com/SM1gH6p.png
Github - i.imgur.com/P6ZFvJn.png
Arch website - i.imgur.com/NgXzDTA.png

Retards won't realize that you need to zoom in proper and not look at the smaller embeds to see how it really looks.

>harfbuzz
No one needs to maintain it,blacklist it and problems solved.
>new fontconfig
fontconfig version 2.12

We are talking about the same things.The configs for fontconfig dont mimic infinality at all,it looks nothing alike its shit

I have a GTX 970 and can't boot into any Arch variant without getting a blank screen. If I use nomodeset then Xorg won't start. What can I do, apart from getting a proper video card?

>No one needs to maintain it,blacklist it and problems solved.
Why would you blacklist something being actively maintained to use something that abandoned? Simply blacklisting it won't work anyways because the current version breaks infinality.

>We are talking about the same things
No we aren't. I'm talking about this:

-Creating an Infinality-like font configuration for Arch-

From a clean slate on Arch we can now create a similar font configuration to the infinality-bundle's without having to use the patched packages. It is now possible to easily get great-looking results with the default interpreter.

1. Create the following symlinks to instruct freetype2 to use good-looking rendering defaults
sudo ln -s /etc/fonts/conf.avail/11-lcdfilter-default.conf /etc/fonts/conf.d
sudo ln -s /etc/fonts/conf.avail/10-sub-pixel-rgb.conf /etc/fonts/conf.d

2. Modify (or create) /etc/fonts/local.conf to contain these contents: pastebin.com/rnDtdzt5

3. At this point your fonts should look pretty good and you may wish to stop here but you can improve them more by making sure that you have all fonts on the system that were defined as substitutions earlier. To do this you need to install the packages fonts-meta-extended-lt and fonts-meta-base from the AUR which will build the rest of the fonts required.

After having done all this, restarting the X-server by logging out and back in should apply all changes.

-Screenshots-
Linux - Wikipedia: i.imgur.com/SM1gH6p.png
Github - i.imgur.com/P6ZFvJn.png
Arch website - i.imgur.com/NgXzDTA.png

>The configs for fontconfig dont mimic infinality at all,it looks nothing alike its shit
The above was created explicitly to mimic infinality

#ArchProbs

This picture is genuinely funny. And more than a little arousing. Right like what if the pizza dispatcher really just didnt give a fuck Looked over at the cutest boy and said: "Well? Get your twinky ass over there!"

BP wasnt very well liked or accepted at his job. People sniggered behind his back calling him gay for being handsome. He wasnt confident or mature enough to defend himself. He was just trying to earn some money to help out his impoverished family.

Pizza boy arrives at anons house and is greeted at the door by a large shut in 4-chaner. Anons pants are down, penis exposed. PB makes the above face. user says groughly: "Well? Bring it inside so I can inspect the pizza." PB suspected from the way user was looking at him that inspecting the pizza was the last thing on this customers mind. Maybe it was the words "Box Cutter" written in sharpie down user's raging boner. PB freezes up. He could run sure, but he knows how seriously Dominos takes it if a delivery boy doesn't come back with the money. They don't care if you bring back the pizza, only the money. He'd never seen or heard of anyone making it past 3 unpaid pie's without getting fired and he was up to 2 already. Some thugs had jumped him on his way home.

Holy fuck nigger,if i black list get this harfbuzz,are you still with me? if i blacklist harfbuzz then it wont update. HOLY FUCKING CRACKERS.
Infiniality works flawlessly

I did exactly your post verbaitem and they look like shit.

user raises his voice some more and barks out: "I'm not paying for a wrong pizza, now get your ass in here, I'm hungry." There it was again, that look, user was looking right through the pizza box and undressing PB with his eyes. PB Thought of his familys unfurnished concrete apartment, they moved so often and abruptly they couldnt keep any furniture. The paint was pealing and some nights there was hunger for the children in the house. PB told himself he could just put this pizza down on the suspiciously short table in front of him, collect his money and leave. As he walked past user he thought he saw user's mouth open, some drool hanging off those large lips. PB gulped, he was sure he'd made a mistake. user was holding the door still, making PB walk past him and into the house. "Well? Show me the pie!" PB knew throwing the pizza down on the table wouldn't go well, so he bent over, the short table forcing him to bend past his waist. He was so nervous he stumbled forward dropping to his hands on the table, his knees scraping against its edge, his back arched by the awkward pose. The pizza box clattered slightly after falling the last 7 inches to the table. user took the opportunity and said "Hey watch it! You probably fucked it up, Now we have to do a more thorough inspection" Anons hand left the door as he gently pushed it, and the door closed on Pizza Boys's innocence that early spring afternoon.

>>harfbuzz
>No one needs to maintain it,blacklist it and problems solved.
harfbuzz isn't what's not being maintained you stupid fuck it's the infinality bundle . Go sniff a floppy dick faggot

>Infiniality works flawlessly
Holy shit you're fucking stupid.

Holy shit you're fucking blind.I bet you use serif fonts too dont you faggot

Fuck off retard

Wtf delete this filth

SPOTTED THE SERIF USER

You have no idea what you're talking about. Go back to the woodshed punk.

you mean gug shed

i'm trying to install google chrome and mint won't let me because i have application managers running, but i'm not installing anything.

nothing comes up in task manager either.

>nothing comes up in task manager either.
look under all users instead of just yourself

there shouldn't be any other users though i'm the only account

Kill yourself you (((communist))) pieces of shit.

add this to your sources.list
deb [arch=amd64] dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable main

>i dont spend money on shit i dont have to so i can spend it on stuff i have to

sounds pretty capitalist to me senpai

xsauc is that you?

how do i do that
sorry googling stuff for linux sucks and nothing good ever comes up

(((Linux))) is a (((communist))) piece of shit.

fuck off roleplaying shill, we all know that Sup Forums uses GNU/Linux or BSDs

make a file called google-chrome.list in the directory /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ and put in it.

This will let you install google-chrome directly from google's repos.

>the only operating system that avoids the ((windows)) or ((apple)) botnet is ((communist))

then what the fuck do i use faggot

Why are you helping people install chrome, let alone nonfree software?

Boot up with Manjaro with non free drivers

No they don't you stupid (((GPL))) advocating kike

because chromium sucks ass

What risks am I accepting by running a Windows VM on a Gnu/Linux host?

God bless

(((Linux))) sucks donkey balls

what kind of file? do i modify official-package-repositories.list or make a text file with that name

I would make another file just so you can keep your affairs separate and they won't be affected by future updates.

Then run apt-get update and then apt-get install google-chrome-stable

i agree
but windows is an nsa plant and macos is garbage

Warning: This section is outdated, the original Infinality Bundle is no longer maintained.

Maybe it's running under another user like root. In your system monitor there is probably a setting to change it from showing 'my processes' to 'all processes'

This doesn't address his problem

>(((Linux))) is a (((communist))) piece of shit.
No it's not. Isn't it ironic that the proprietary software developers call us communists? We are the ones who have provided for a free market, where they allow only monopoly. If we are to judge views by their resemblance to Russian Communism, it is the software owners who are the Communists. Even Stallman advocates for capitalism, fuck off dude.

Don't listen to Bill here. Libre software isn't communism, Microsoft bears a close resemblance to it though.
Communism as was practiced in the Soviet Union was a system of central control where all activity was regimented, supposedly for the common good, but actually for the sake of the members of the Communist party. And where copying equipment was closely guarded to prevent illegal copying.

thanks for the help, but even under root, i dont see any of the programs that it mentioned running

brobritary?? u giddings me????
I tried manjaro-openrc and it didn't work, but star linux (devuan) worked fine.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

nice meme, and yes multiple times

Kill yourself kike lover

permission denied

Oh no.... He's back...

you need to be root to touch /etc, do you know how to become the root user?

if you hate linux why are you even here
also you have no argument.

Stop giving him attention, he's just a troll.

how do I set a drive to mount as read and write automatically?

no i just installed linux for the first time today, but why does say that this wouldn't work

I want /leftypol/ to get the fuck off my website

import std.stdio;
import std.random;

void main(string[] args)
{
foreach (word; args[1..$])
{
writef("%s ", uniform(0,2) ? "((("~word~")))" : word);
}
writeln;
}

Am I doing it right?

(((I'd))) just like to (((interject))) (((for))) (((a))) (((moment.))) What (((you’re))) (((referring))) to (((as))) Linux, (((is))) in fact, (((GNU/Linux,))) (((or))) (((as))) I’ve recently taken (((to))) (((calling))) (((it,))) GNU (((plus))) Linux. Linux is not an operating system (((unto))) itself, but (((rather))) (((another))) free component (((of))) (((a))) (((fully))) (((functioning))) GNU system (((made))) useful by the GNU corelibs, shell (((utilities))) (((and))) (((vital))) system components (((comprising))) (((a))) (((full))) OS as defined (((by))) POSIX.

>become the root user
DISGUSTING
sudo fgt

what is the best linux video editor?

blackmagicdesign.com/au/products/davinciresolve

Fuck off dude. Look around you, Bill Gates and the other proprietary software makers are the globalist kikes. Think of it this way, Microsoft is like a communist state, a place of central control where all activity was regimented. We are working to build a system where people are free to decide their own actions; in particular, free to help their neighbors, and free to alter and improve the tools which they use in their daily lives. A system based on voluntary cooperation NOT forcing something that actually resembles communism a la Apple or Microsoft.

They come that way

Alright, you have a lot to learn, for starters: you need administrative permission to make systemwide changes.
using sudo or su will make you the "root" user, which is the admin account, you should have designated a password for this account when you installed linux.

run this and tell me if you fail
wget dl.google.com/linux/direct/google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb
sudo dpkg -i google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb
# if it fails, run the following to install missing dependencies
sudo apt-get install -f

(((Stallman))) is a literal communist kike you useful idiot.

how do I set it to mount as read and write?

>replying to shills

Please stop embarrassing yourself. He has endorsed Capitalism.

They
Come
That
Way
That
Is
The
Mount

Davinci Resolve is expensive as fuck tho

i wasnt doing anything in the command line just in the file manager so thats probably why

Trump is an anti-white zionist shill too, haven't you got bigger things to worry about?

how do I mount a drive as read and write.

KDEnlive

You Mount It

Resolve is free, you pay for the hardware