SSD's are a meme Sup Forums said

>SSD's are a meme Sup Forums said
>you're wasting your money Sup Forums said
>the performance gain is unnoticeable Sup Forums said
>mechanical drives have a superior lifespan Sup Forums said

7 year old SSD, 38,000 hours, used daily in an HTPC...STILL GOING STRONG.

Within the same time-span, 3 mechanical HDD's died and replaced.

Sup Forums y u so autistic?

Other urls found in this thread:

techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead
hardware.fr/articles/927-7/ssd.html
techreport.com/review/30993/samsung-960-evo-ssd-reviewed/5
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>a handful of trolls and idiots said SSDs are a meme
>Sup Forums is one person

Just business as usual.

>128GB in a HTPC
So they were right about the "wasting your money" bit.

I am not impressed. this spinning rust is older and it doesn't have a "97%" next to it either.

You might have severe brain damage if you think 2-3 retards saying "OMG SSDs ARE SO MEME HAHAHAHA" is the whole Sup Forums.

There are a ton of kids on Sup Forums who want to think their PC is a beast so they usually tend to lie to themselves telling themselves that SSDs are a joke and aren't that much faster than a mechanical hard drive.

My friend has a great PC build, 3570K @ 4.5GHz, 660 Ti and it held well trough time. The 660 Ti got swapped for a 1060 6GB, the PC is still going strong but he was running off a single WD Blue 1TB drive. Finally convinced him to make the jump. Got him a nice deal on a 512GB 850 Pro and he went ahead and installed all of his crapware onto the new SSD. He went from a flatout 5 to 8 minutes boot time to fucking 12 seconds flat. The shithead stood there with his phone in his hand measuring and waiting as much as possible. The HDD "variant" of the PC was struggling to start programs or anything for that matter even after it fully booted, yet the SSD "variant" was booting up literally any given software he wanted almost instantly after windows finished booting. The "meme" is in the kids who think this crap doesn't matter.

I have a Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB or whatever its name is. It's supposed to be actual shit, one of the worst from it's time. Have had it for like 4 years now, during which, it has seen 3 different HDDs come and go. It got hit by a power spike from a faulty PSU along with the other HDD connected with the same connector, and it survived while the HDD didn't. Still going strong, still as fast as it was when I first got it.

I just want these fuckers to drop even harder in price. As soon as 1TB SSDs are below 150€, I'm jumping on that shit and never looking back at HDDs. I don't need that much space to care about these shitters anymore.

I have same ssd for 3 years too. Boots in less than 25 secs.

>It's supposed to be actual shit, one of the worst from it's time
>SF-2281
>Toshiba 19nm Toggle 2.0 NAND
Actually, it's at the high end of average. It was pretty late to market though.

I wish the hdd companies would admit their circuitboards are the weak link and sell replacements. SSD boards have to be robust, because that's the whole product, hdd mechanical parts can be just fine but the controller is burned.

My 840 evo shit the bed after 2.5 years, so there's that.
Literally failed while I was reading reddit.

You can't replace the boards.

I know. I'm 99% sure that the 3 disks I fucked up in the last year were all good inside. It was the circuit board frying. Obviously though, I'm not going to unscrew that shit since it's still covered by warranty.
If companies wanna keep cheaping out on their shit, I'm gonna keep taking advantage of their warranty. Paid 50€ for my shitty 1TB disk, and I'm already on my 3rd one because their stuff can't take a hit for shit. Every single other component on my rig is just fine and didn't need replacing, including the SSD on the same power connector as the HDD. HDDs get fucked so easily though.

Dude, no components inside the PC can reliably take a hit. You probably just getting incredibly lucky that it's just a cheap-ass HDD that is getting fucked up. What the fuck is wrong with you? Why are you literally having PSUs explode inside your computer 3 times a year or some shit?

Who if anyone actually said this?

SSDs are a whole lot faster, the difference between a box with a SSD for OS/software and a spinning harddrive is huge, has been for years.

I do start calling it a meme when people say one SSD is so much better than another. In my experience there's no real world difference between the various brands.

If you're not using SSDs for programs and spinning HDDs for storage of large files then you're doing it wrong.

128 GB is more than enough for a HTPC that connected to a network. Actually, those cheap $50 Android top-set boxes with 8GB internal storage is more than enough. If it's the only computer you have then it's obviously a completely different story.

I'll bet he doesn't even have any UPS or even a surge protection.

top meme :^)

Weren't the 840 evos shit at release? I remember there be a firmware issue as well. My 840 reports 100% on CrystalDiskMark and "Good" on Samsung Magician, 33.8k power on hours and 27TB written--speed has deteriorated though. Likely has years left, my 2TB Seagate has 8 uncorrectable sectors on it though...

The most noticeable perfomance gain I felt was after an upgrade from 200mhz 128mb ram single channel to 512mb 400mhz dual on my old Athlon Tbird in 2002. The second more dramatic was when I got my first SSD back in 2011. A 120gb OCZ agility for my 2500k. I've been a fan of ssds ever since.

Dude, nobody gives a fuck about your waifu, you sad, pathetic freak

lots of anons on Sup Forums said this for literally years. some were trolling, to be sure, but there were some that were clearly quite serious. For the first few years that consumer SSDs were on the market, anons on Sup Forums would take every opportunity to tell other anons that their SSDs were going to spontaneously die and they'd lose all data on the drive

next up try falling for the apple meme

the old Sandforce ones did. modern ones depends on the manufactures

for example Intel NVMe drives will switch to read only, only while its still on for just one day when it runs out of spare Dram to move all the bad sectors on it tells the contorler to lock the SSD
But if you turn off a system with the read only NVMe SSD it will brick and you can't access it anymore.

Installing Intel SSD sence gives you plenty of warning before it dies completely.

Dude, nobody gives a fuck about your opinion. You sad, pathetic freak.

Spinning rust like everything has a limited lifespan, but it must feel better to not know its lifespan.

Just extending on this If you have some unlocated space it can some times increases the SSD life.

>sandforce
Sup Forums anons didn't make that distinction and were still claiming that SSDs had a habit of spontaneously dying as recently as last year. At the time I bought my first SSD like six years ago, it was already common knowledge that sandforce controllers were bad, and it wasn't because of failure rates when I heard about it. The point is, listening to Sup Forums about almost anything is fucking dumb.

If that was you, if you're the type that needs to plaster anime all over every screen and therefor every screenshot, you really should consider suicide

Could fool me. I'm prepping my third redundant backup expecting it to fail, but it won't.

Sup Forums is risk-averse due to muh cost-performance, always the slowest adopters of tech, and also suffer from a series of cognitive biases.

SSD is better for people who does actual job, SSD is faster and silent.

Sup Forums is no longer the old good Sup Forums, it is poisoned by gaymers, they buy for gaymes Ryzen and similar, newest GPUs, etc. Its cheaper for them to use HDD, to store gaymes and related stuff.

You have to stop taking seriously opinions of the bunch of gaymers, pajeets, consumerist whores and students.

this.

t.oldfag.
nothing wrong with ryzen or skylake/kabylake.

>128 GB is more than enough for a HTPC
whoosh

>1.9 seconds faster boot time is worth 300 shekels + short lifespan

good goy

retard

>HTPC
Live entertainment is best.

this is why i thin enterprise and consumer need to have no difference in TB written.

the problem being is that the consumer version gets a shitty contorler leading to lower life spans
what is even worse is that marketers say they last longer than HDD but fail to mention that if you copy lots of little files per a day your going to rekt your SSD.

there was a articale on the Intel 600p 128GB review that mentioned this.

There's nothing wrong ryzen or skylake/kabylake. There's everything wrong with infinite consumerist threads about this hardware. They don't talk about CPU architecture, instruction sets and other details, they talk about which is better for gaymes. It makes Sup Forums a trashcan with zero entropy.

If you couldn't tell; most of Sup Forums are insanely poor which is why they buy old junked up lenovo and dell laptops and use free linux operating systems.

>power on count
>105
>implying that's at all in anyway a normal usage scenario.

neck yourself you bating faggot.

year 3 here, remaining life 95%
17TB written

It has like 100% entropy my good man.
0% entropy would imply we['re interesting and there is lots of diverse discussion.

Well if american banks didn't gimp other countries $ to make their failing encomy look better you know this statement woun't exist.

sandforce themselves were fine, just their shit software wasn't.
Intel has a bunch of sandforce based drives with Intel custom firmware that do just fine.

Windows and macOS are less suitable for server and Android programming.

Only thing that I dislike about SSD is the TBW count, gives me anxiety

Supposedly I've already written about 5tb in... 6 months I guess? not sure if that's a lot. Did a lot of windows/linux/hackintosh reinstalls though

never heard that meme, everyone says they are the one true upgrade as a matter of fact... but. what i want to know is what is your total bytes written?

just curious im already at 2.2TB on my 850 Evo and im a little scared

Yet you replied.

see thats crazy ive only had mine since feb and im at 2.2TB written

that's bullshit but then again

I beleave Apple has a sever version as well as Mircosoft.

Both Dos and Basic and easily be traslated into server OS's but then again most people are stupid

Windows 2003 or windows longhorn doesn't resinate with most server machines even though they can run up to 32 CPU's at Once
besides no,one can can compete with free software.

linx doesn't really dominate any market anymore.
But Linux does dominate moblie and single board PC's.

You'll be fine user...
techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead

I'm not sure what you were expecting. No real experts browse Sup Forums, just "experts".
Everything is a meme on Sup Forums, don't trust anything written on this board and instead get educated on whatever you want to use and make your own opinion.

Okay here's the fact of the matter, a solid-state drive has faster access time the hard drive and that's were almost all the speed comes from. A 3 TB 7200 RPM hard drive has a read speed of about 200 to 300 MB. On paper that is so close to the maximum that you never need or could actually see use from in a computer that it shouldn't make a difference between that drive and a solid-state. But the thing is a solid-state you don't have seat time at all. I mean realistically it's there but it's so's minuscule that you can't see the real world benefits.

Recently I just mirrored a 4 TB hard drive to an 8 TB drive, that took about 22 hours. I'm gonna say almost the entirety of that time was because of the 7 to 30 ms seek time, as smaller files as ground the hard drive to a measly 7 MB read while large files would typically be in the 100 to 150 MB read speed. The solid-state drive on the other hand that hosts of fuck ton of small files took under one hour to transfer completely, really the biggest problem was not having permission to remove those files. But total commander fix that.

As a boot drive your shits getting hammered constantly, to the point where if you're using a hard drive you can easily going to sub megabyte region just because of all the accesses its demanding. Had a 1.5 TB hard drive that at the ass end of using it was only reading at 756 kB I thought it was in PIO mode again. Moving to the solid-state drive it felt like I had a completely new computer. This was six years ago when I was on a sata2 SSD that wouldn't even saturate all of sata2, much less six years down the line when it wasn't even reading over 100 MB, but because there was almost no seek time it still felt lightning fast compared any of my other drives.

And then there's a practical limit for how fast the drive can be. Somewhere around the 400 to 500 MB read there's a bottleneck on how fast files can decompress. This isn't going to change until we start using programs that are uncompress from the very beginning. Until that happens only outliers really benefit from faster than sata3 speed. The only reason I would even a recommend in a nvme drive is because the cost of a SATA 3 drive they'll saturate a SATA 3 connection costs the same as in a nvme drive, and if they cost the same you may as well go with the faster drive, just because the few times he had a unicorn application it's gonna be worth it.

Until I can datahorde on SSD, they are meme.

Solid-state drives are capable of spontaneously breaking, with no warning and no means of recovery. This is excessively rare but it is a factor to think of. However if you can't afford to transfer all the files off your hard drive when it completely and is unrecoverable for you, then the point is moot either way you're fuckin done.

You can, provided you either leave them powered on or power them on for atleast 24 hours every ~6 months.

>unicorn application
You mean anything?

Even games could use that, refilling an ~8-12GB framebuffer quickly is pretty important no?

See the issue here is is severalfold
1) the speed of the hard drive and the solid-state drive at least given in megabytes is almost identical or not that much slower that it seems like you're wasting money buying the solid-state
2) most people don't understand, even tech literate people don't understand is how often your boot drive gets accessed. If people actually understood how fast their boot drive goes there would've never said solid states were meme
3) most people don't have a tangible idea of what IOPS is, and coming the from and a nvme drive that I have that I thought would be a lot faster than it actually is, I don't fully understand what IOPS is either

Realistically a solid-state drive is something you need actually feel to understand its impact, because the numbers don't show you, and the only thing that you see is boot time then you think it's not worth it because you only boot once a day who gives a shit.

Yes you can but you need the same firmware revision as the board before it.

i checked my 64gb laptop ssd the other week & it told me that it had >2 year of uptime, = 5 years use .. it had 20pc of life used, was fine. its never slowed or anything (xubuntu) .. zippy, robust, not used for anything heavy, but periodically will be reinstalled onto or hit with major software installs (java development kit etc) crucial

100Tb SSDs will hit the market this year (hitachi) .. the game is over

That's not me, I posted the image. I use that obnoxious theme for Crystaldiskinfo to trigger special snowflakes, It has never failed to work as you're aptly proving its effectiveness yet again.

How does it feel to be such a tryhard nerd that you get triggered by some random anime girls?

I have Ryzen 8 core, I have a nvme, I also have an 8 TB hard drive.
I got primarily to play games and leisure activity, along with some productivity.
The nvme drive is 512 GB, granted I don't know if I set it up wrong but it's not going at its rated speed, and I can't really dick around with it because if I fuck up the driver then there goes my installment out have to do everything over again, I need to buy a new small drive just a mere over before I do any work on it.

Not everyone who plays games is a retard who cheats out on their shit.

How many times can you literally talk about the exact same topic over and over again, at least with is this going to perform better in x task, the shit changes month-to-month.

No consumers rewriting the hard drive for 5 times a day to run that drive dry in the 5 years that would be useful.

To run a drive dry you need to write 400 to 800 TB, though I don't know about you but even with all the data I accumulate I have a hard time finding a way to write 10. The people who write a lot, they already know that they're outliers and know what to look for. The problem is these fucking outliers keep telling normal people that they're also the outliers.

That drive can write close to 400 TB

circa 196n
"cassette tapes are a fad"

The test of already been done, if you have a solid-state drive that saturates SATA 3, you see no real world difference between it and the a nvme drive going at 3200 MB. The problem is programs need to decompress, and the fastest they can decompress lies somewhere between 400 and 500 MB. There are a few games like fallout 4 that seem to almost infinitely scale with how fast the media can read, but that is not the norm.

>tryhard

Trying hard to do what exactly?

Last time I looked at the statistics, SSDs had a 10 times lower annual failure rate than Hard drives. Or was it a 100 times?
Let's see:
hardware.fr/articles/927-7/ssd.html
Those are return rates from a french retailer for SSDs. They're not '10 times' lower than SSDs but they're substantially lower.

SSDs have a longer lifespan than Hard drives. By magnitudes.

The numbers, like IOP tests DO show you, it's just no-one gives a shit about useful tests.
Tech report I think is the best for SSDs since they do real-world simulation workloads on them and the difference is staggering.

SSDs last longer than HDDs.
Enterprise SSDs are SLC, which are the most enduring of all NAND types, and those things go into the thousands of years of heavy use. Merely decades under super-intense server loads though.
MLC, or TLC is used in commercial drives, and they only work for decades of heavy use.
However, that was with 2D nand.
3D nand is orders of magnitude more durable, so these numbers spiral up so high no-one can measure them.
To put it in perspective- You can't test how durable a 3D nand drive is because it is physically impossible to wear out the NAND in less than a year. Sometimes several years. We're talking 24/7 the most intense workloads and no-one can test their reliability because it's too reliable.

>Enterprise SSDs are SLC
Wrong. Enterprise SSDs are eMLC.
This ain't 2009 anymore

its just some shitposting fags. even the cheapest ssd will work many years.

Oh, my bad. I'm not up to date on SSD technology really, since they already passed the point where they're hilariously better than HDDs.

all my meme devices are still working.

I never had a single HDD crashed
Even the USB hdds which I have running on my raspberry for backups and automatically spin down after 10 minutes without use just won't die.
How common is it really for consumer hdds to die? Does anyone have experience with it?
SSD also never died for me

remember where you are, redditor

anime is fine as long as its not used for thread derailing.

Anyone wanna rec some good drive monitoring software?

That is true I'll give you that, however that's not my point.

When a hard drive fails you can send this someplace that will get the data off of it and they will get the data off of it but it costs you money, real fuckin money.
If you are never willing to pay the thousand dollars or $2000 that a cost of get data off the hard drive than for all intensive purposes it may as well be fried to the point you can't get data period.

Because one in solid-state drive goes there's no getting the data off of it

techreport.com/review/30993/samsung-960-evo-ssd-reviewed/5

Note that the 960 is 3200 read while the crucial bx 100 is at best 550, the difference between them as almost academic.

This is kind of proves my point that somewhere between 400 MB and 500 MB there is a hard bottleneck that is not alleviated by more speed in the storage device.

Applications that are able to just read the file like image-editing benefit greatly from it, applications that stored data almost uncompressed benefit from it, but anything that compresses even a little bit gets bottlenecked somewhere between 400 and 500.

So long as your solid-state drive will saturate SATA 3 your golden. However at the same time the drives that saturate SATA 3 cost as much as an nvme drive, so why not get a just for the unicorn applications that really do take advantage of an nvme if the cost is near identical.

>he fell for the SSDs are a meme meme
wew chappie

>Because one in solid-state drive goes there's no getting the data off of it
Unless the chips are desoldered and read in a special device.

It's still possible to recover data.

Tons of people said it. When SSD's first came out it was nonstop shilling about how they would have high failure rates because of wear and HDD's are cheaper and will last as long or longer. Even after some reviewers did tests showing SSD's were more reliable you still had retards parroting this bullshit literally years afterwards.

I think it was actually a case of the fox and the grapes. People endlessly justifying their lack of SSD.

>1.9 seconds

for me it was a fucking 2 minutes

>SSD's are a meme Sup Forums said
Except Sup Forums never said that.

You mean apart from the endless tream of threads calling SSDs a meme and the endless stream of people (still) trying to reduce writes on their ssds 'to preserve them' when they should be instead trying to increase their writes to it so they get to use it before it outlives them.

>rolls a die
>gets a 6
>my die is clearly better than average

>roll 60 dice
>all come up 6
>these dice are clearly just all lucky rolls

Does anyone remember those hybrid drives?

Where it was a couple gigs of SSD and after it got full, the drive would automatically push it to the mechanical one?

I've been on SSD-only since 2013. first 840 pro, newest drive is a 960 pro. no going back.

it made some sense when SSDs were still prohibitively expensive.

I also remember those Intel Turbo Memories where it's a 2GB or 4GB SSD that fits in the mini-PCIe slot and would do a similar thing.

I'm still using two 120 GB SSDs that I purchased in the end of the summer in 2011 and they are still going strong. I remember paying $240 per drive but at the time it was worth it.

Mushkin Chronos Deluxe is the model. They have "DX" in the serial number. At the time of my purchase OCZ Vertex 3 was all the hype, but the DX Mushkins beat it on paper and in life.

> Does anyone remember those hybrid drives?
I think they're still getting made.

Anyhow, just ignore that trash.

If it works inside server/nas-type device that completely normal usage scenario, he didn't mention desktop/workstation in his post.

On the point of desktop I have some old drive, that is still working fine, picrel.

??

Are you saying an HTPC is shit because you can only watch movies, or are you saying an HTPC is great for live entertainment?

If you're claiming the former, then realize, my HTPC has a cablecard, which I can watch and record all the bullshit live TV and cable cancer I want to consume. Plus, I have full web browser abilities so I can watch YouTube, Twitch, Netflix, etc. I also have a personal library of movies, music, and TV shows, and a full arcade of retro games readily available, and the ability to stream current games from my main PC.