Why do people insist on using whatsapp instead of texting?

Why do people insist on using whatsapp instead of texting?

Other urls found in this thread:

medium.com/@Chris_arnade/usa-a-third-world-county-in-the-making-14064ea5c534
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I don't think unlimited texting plans are as ubiquitous in yurop

why do you insist on being autistic
it's where the bitches at

Not in first world countries

Everybody uses it in Canada, faggot

Canada has unlimited texting. Are canadians just retarded ?

I never even heard of it until people started talking about it on Sup Forums. Hell, I don't even know anyone who knows what it is. I'm in the States though.

Whatsapp is better for group chats

more features
read/deliver receipts

no implications sending messages internationally

desktop program is nice too

do not try to make sense of normalfag's decisions

it will drive you insane

It's just a better interface, with more features (including groups, which are popular). Why are you such a luddite?

Texting costs money.

Less latency.
Receipts.
"Free".

>less latency
Calling bullshit

t: whatsapp user

my dick. in her asshole. pls

Merchant here. Everyone uses it all the time here in Israel and I remember back when I lived in America tons of people in the Jewish community would download it so they could talk to friends and family in Israel.

So does a phone, WiFi, and data

>normalfags in my CE classes try to make me use it for some group shit
>tell them to fuck off
>they go crying to the professor like it's middle school
>he tells them to fuck off in politically correct speak
And that's how I secured another 4 years of virginity.

So it's for third worlders and those who want to keep in touch with the third world?

Leaf here, this is completely untrue.

>canada
>first world

Pick one

I am proud of you user

I wonder where you live, probably a pajeet from the shitting fields.

Chat clients do not require a SIM card.

You're probably a friendless autistic neet though. WTF do you know about anything social?

Its free you stupid motherfucker

medium.com/@Chris_arnade/usa-a-third-world-county-in-the-making-14064ea5c534

Quiet fatty, white first worlders are talking

So we agree then

So WhatsApp users are just poorfags that can't even afford cellular service? kek

Congratulations, we're all gonna make it.

in other countries cell service is expensive and extremely unreliable. i have cousins who have android phones and strictly use wifi and whatsapp to communicate with other people (not in the us)

If you're not using whatsapp for international calls/texts you're doing it wrong

Iwhy would someone want to use a messaging app with modern features when they could communicate with antiquated decades old SMS? Its a mystery OP

I understand why SMS is harmful.
What I don't understand is why WhatsApp makes any sense as a replacement, since it's tied to a carrier-provided phone number to function.

SMS sucks.

I don't know. Ask my family.

Ye screw those poorfags for non unlimited plans.

SMS ain't properly encrypted.

Mostly. I use WhatsApp to communicate with my family in the ME

Fascist governments like Australia are now recording all your mobile acitivity and metadata.
Whatsapp circumvents that.
As does Facebook Messenger and iMessage.

>cell service expensive and unreliable
>internet access somehow cheap and ubiquitous

>antiquated decades old SMS
>SMS sucks.
>I understand why SMS is harmful.

neo-Sup Forums these days

SMS is limited, slow, not encrypted, costs more...
It's inferior in pretty much every way.
Now I'm not saying Whatsapp is ideal, far from it. I'd prefer to use something fully open source that isn't owned by fucking Facebook. But it's still better than SMS.

Nope. Whatsapp messages usually get delivered way faster. SMS always has a 2-3 sec delay.

Enjoy being spied on, faggot.

>implying Fecesbook doesn't record all his activity and metadata
>implying government didn't record activity and metadata secretly before

>SMS hasn't changed a bit over 20 years or so
>SMS was the hot shit 20 years ago
>suddenly SMS is literally shit now
>even though it didn't change

dats neo-Sup Forums logick right there

>Facebook owns Whatsapp
>he thinks he isn't spied on when using it

Who is this semen demon? I mean the girl.

It's shit now, because we have many better alternatives that we didn't 20 years ago.
And hopefully 20 years from now we won't use Whatsapp anymore and we'll call it shit.

>SMS considered harmful

wew lad

I imagine it's for retarded reasons

It's imessage for lagdroid

even AIM was better than SMS

I have a theory
In Bulgaria, reception is complete shit inside commieblocks, so using a messaging service that uses your home internet is much more advantageous, especially when 4g plans are really cheap.
This probably applies to most of Europe as well.

that's 4 years closer to wizardhood, good job user!

What about viber. In my country, noone uses whatsapp, viber is the go to messaging app. (Hungary)

Free calls and texts without having to deal with a million SPESHAL OFFER notifications from the phone company.

Also groups and easier pictures, sound recordings, linking, etc

telegram is better

im using whatsapp to talk with my international friends

>shit crypto, which only works for one on one conversations
>no video calls, voice calling just now rolling out
>still relies on your phone number

no, stop shilling for your stupid service

This and even if a phone is out of service (prepay, no minutes) you can still communicate over wifi.

>This probably applies to most of Europe as well.
It certainly does not.

It's pretty obvious why whatsapp is so popular though. Until a few years ago people generally had to pay for each SMS they sent. This is how whatsapp/viber etc became popular in the first place. Because of this, today they have the benefit a large user base, and people have gotten so used to the advantages of the apps that there's no reason for them to go back to regular texting.

I have a better theory, related to an experience with my sister and a few other people.
I asked them what the deal was with Whatsapp, and they told me "it's free messages". I asked them if it was really free, and they went "yes, but you need to be connected to the internet".
So I replied "so it's e-mails".
Some of them didn't have a comeback. Others went one further with something along the lines of "yes but it's more... instantaneous... and it's easier to use?"
So I said "I see, so it's more like a chat?"
And that was that, basically. I even chatted with my sister using Hangouts years before Whatsapp was a thing, and she didn't realize it was "free messages".

I just think Whatsapp had the right mix of publicity, ease of use and whatever else.

>using all that junk just to send messages
Get on my level scrubs

>mix of publicity, ease of use and whatever else.
Just like every social media that became popular.

Or you being a retarded luddite that doesn't understand progress.

You're akin to 90s people saying "nobody is going to need more than 512MB of ram" or "the Internet is just a toy".

Stay close minded you meat faced cretin, but please leave Sup Forums if you can't even grasp the core idea of what technology is.

Well done user, soon you will reap your rewards

>I just think Whatsapp had the right mix of publicity, ease of use and whatever else.

Yeah it's nothing special at all. Right time, right place.
But they do have a solid product from a technical point of view, it just werks.
Compare that to Wire which is better on paper, but in practice it's still a bit buggy.
The one thing that I dislike about Whatsapp is how much it relies on your phone (even when using the web app), but I guess this makes it more idiotproof for normies.

Eurobong here. Unlimited texting is included in most plans but a lot of people use prepaid instead because it's cheaper and basically has all or more of the same features as a low-end phone plan. Some of the prepaid options can bump the data to 5GB for around 8-10€ per month so it's cheaper to use whatsapp or Viber for texting or calling.

I'm third worlder, my mom lives 1500km from me and we never used WhatsApp to communicate. I also never had to use it to communicate with anyone. Heck I never seen how does this app looks like.

My idiotic friend uses it to text with his girlfriend, even though they have unlimited texts.

In 3rd world country such as Poland we have unlimited texts, minutes and even data. I have 100gb allowance a month a d I don't pay anything for it.

We also don't have muslims here

Here in Poland prepaids offers more while being 2-3 times cheaper than contract. There is absolutely no reason for contract here.

>We also don't have muslims here
Can i live in your country?
t. german

sms for anything besides ascii is garbage and mms is not an improvement. Plus contacting everyone when your phone number changes is 90s problem

Both texting and WhatsApp are retarded.

Texting:
- unencrypted
- susceptible to MITM interception by anyone with $200 worth of gear

WhatsApp:
- proprietary and therefore complete garbage
- data-mined by Facebook outside of the EU

Anyone with an IQ above 50 would not use either.

Sure, we actually don't hate average German families and people as we know and understand you guys.

You can rent or buy a flat in Krakow or Wroclaw it's very popular since Germany is being invaded, german people are buying out flats here like a maniacs.

And about Muslims. Our premier just stated we won't accept any Muslim immigrants here.

because android users are poorfags

>We also don't have muslims here

Poland stronk XDDD

Why does polish vermin always have to spill their inferiority complex anywhere they write. Protip, you don't have Muslims because nobody, not even sub-poor tribal fourth worlders want to live there.

Also fuck off to Sup Forums

Still better than using whatsapp.

I guess you use post? Yeah that's best way to quickly communicate

Email with PGP
XMPP with OTP
Ricochet
BitMessage

*OTR

>"nobody is going to need more than 512MB of ram"
Nobody (of importance) ever said that you know. The most famous quote is one where Bill Gates allegedly said that nobody ever needs more than 640kB of RAM, much earlier than the 90s of course. However, he didn't even say that, what he said was actually the quite opposite of that because he didn't feel the IBM computers had enough memory to be future proof at the time.
>"the Internet is just a toy"
This is also an exaggeration of concerns that weren't as invalid as we might think today. Large networks have been used by governments and industries since the 60s, and obviously nobody thought this was a toy. The world wide web is what was seen as a toy, and this website alone justifies their concern to some extent.

>convinced gf to use signal instead of WhatsApp

>fast foward 6 months, we break up

Back to 0 signal contacts I guess..

Because we know it hurts you first worlders. Your countries are plagued by this rubbish yet you claim to be superior. You feed them and let rape your woman. They steal, beat people up, rape yet you try to justify their behaviour and you can't even say out loud they are bad. Well even more it's not allowed because saying such fact would be hate speech. Funny weak leftist shits. First world country hahaha

>unlimited data
>3rd world

Poland will be invaded by France and Germany in the near future. Brace yourself.

I use whatsapp all the time. You can send better quality media to peeps through it than shitty SMS

>tfw unlimited data is 199€ / month on a 24 month contract in Germany

>the free market will regulate itself

MMS has around 30sec delivery time for single picture last time I checked.

Already assuming I'm a leftie and that I'm pro mass importing hordes of uncivilised people?

Here's a hard reality check for you: you're part of the problem. There's more Poles in UK or Norway than any other ethnicity. You don't learn languages or customs, you create Polish ghettos, you don't adapt, you commit crimes on a massive scale.

>some Polish fag arguing that it's because the people that mostly left his country came from poor/pathological regions/cities/villages

Guess what, so go the arguments of Syrian apologists.

But hey, there's always a Polish crusader on every *chan, every discussion board, always with the same bs talk like you're the last bastion of Europe [insert here some incomprehensible mumbling about Katyn or Sobieski 400 years ago]. And yet you're considered the central joke of Europe. Even Orban is making fun of you.

Try using a 20 year old PC for a while and just try to tell me it isn't shit compared to alternatives.
Then look up what "progress" is.

>read/deliver receipts
>SMS have both of them

this is average Sup Forums user

Romania has better internet than most first world countries, almost better than all of them

Because texting is usually outrageously expensive, Fucking telcos

Comparing polacks who are happy to work like a slaves in worst jobs for minimal wage and no overtimes to muslims who demands money cars and houses for nothing. LOL.

Yes polacks are a plague as well I agree but it's totally different thing.

Normies don't fucking understand how it works.

To them, it's just an icon on their phone, they press it, and they can chat. The fact they pretty much configure themselves using your phone number as a reference doesn't help, it further instills the idea that "it's the same thing", disregardingthe fact it uses different protocols, medium, servers, services, and most importantly, it's handled by entirely diferent companies.

Otherwise, GSM, SMS and email are enough for practically everything. Technically they're just protocols you use to send data, and the nature of that data as well as the GUI of the data sending software are entirely different things.

We're just lacking "sexy" GSM, SMS and email apps these days for normies to use them. Still, it's not that hard to convince people that deep down, those antique communication protocols remain the most reliable and widely supported, and that in exceptional situations, cases of emergency, or sensitive subjects, they're the ones you should be using.

In the meantime, I dread the day people will just stop talking to each other beacuse they're so spread other a hundred different services that communicating with each other will prove challenging.

Email is obviously slower than chat protocols (google it if you are too stupid to know this) and SMS only supports ascii and 160 symbols. There's an inherent difference between them and chat protocols such as XMPP. And what do you even mean by GSM? You need a lot more than a GUI to turn GSM into something that can be used for texting and chatting.

If you don't like whatsapp fine, but stop defending SMS. It's obsolete and anything is better than it.

I hate normies so fucking much
I wish they were never allowed into tech