Previous thread: >>60407404

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

>New to /tpg/ or looking for purchasing advice? (hint: use the advice request template, it makes life easier)
pastebin.com/nBqTEbHn

>If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).

>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Recommended models and mod guide:
pastebin.com/28piBq7W

>Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

>xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

>EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

>Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T400
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIABYS54D4009&cm_re=x220-_-9SIABYS54D4009-_-Product
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA10V5HE6476&cm_re=macbook-_-9SIA10V5HE6476-_-Product
libreboot.org/docs/install/t400_external.html
corsair.com/en-us/vengeance-16gb-high-performance-laptop-memory-upgrade-kit-cmsx16gx3m2a1600c10
tp.krelay.de/index.php?type=4178-6vu
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First for T H I C C Z60m

Opinions on the elitebook 8760w?
seems like a solid laptop
a hp with scroll button for the clit
a 1080p with amazing colors from its own no modding required
pretty solid looking specwise
saw one with a i7-2760QM

how does it compare with the w520 or w530

and how much would you spent max on one?

novotards will never reach this level of C O M F Y

I have an x220

good at least someone in the thinkpad thread is talking about thinkpads

>watching tv with mum
>ISS appears
>thinkpad appears in background of shot
>point out to mum it's the same brand as the X201 I got for her when her old laptop became FUBAR
>she says "oh so it's super old then" and smirked

so mean :(
x201 is a great machine

This thing won't lock into my x220. Just comes out when you try to disconnect an usb stick
Any ideas on how to fix?

Okay /tpg/, what's the most modular and cheapest laptop out there?
Also is t420 one of them?
By modular I mean Replaceable without any hefty gymnastics
>screen
>keyboard
>CPU
>trackpad
>ram
>battery
>adapters like WiFi and Bluetooth adapters
>the whole motherboard (less likely)
>gpu(less likely)
The laptop should atleast be relevant enough by today's standards.

Trying again since I didn't get an answer last thread

Anyone ever changed their x220 trackpad cover (pic related)? I'm looking at the service manual and can't find anything on that part, except how to change the whole palm rest, which isn't what I'm trying to do.

I'm fairly certain that it isn't a sticker on the X220, contrary to the T420, if anyone who owns an X220 could confirm that it'd be great.

>fell for the expresscard meme

test the speeds of that vs the usb 2.0 port, you will be disappointed

How much can I sell this ThinkPad for?

I have an X220 with an i5, 8GB RAM, 9-cell battery, and slice battery. It has no hard drive at the moment. Also some parts of the palm rest are cracked and I have a gbit ethernet card in it because the onboard ethernet stopped working. The IPS display is mostly good with a couple of light spots. The slice battery is cracked a bit and is in bad shape but works perfectly fine.

Should I sell this on eBay as-is or should I spend $30-50 on a 64-128GB SSD to get more money?

tl;dr:
so-so cosmetic condition
works fine for normal use, holds good charge
no major issues with usability
no hard drive at the moment, not sure if it's worth buying
what do

70 MB/s vs 30 MB/s doesn't disappoint me

z60m thicc? I don't think you've seen a z61p

Just got an i5 x230 as an upgrade from a T410s. Payed $150 and it came with 4GB RAM and a 300GB HDD. Threw in an msata ssd and the RAM from my old thinkpad and I'm set. Had some ketchup (or some other red sticky gook) in some crevices, but once i cleaned is with some iso and qtips it looks 90% new.

/tpg/ could you help me pick a pc pls? made a thread already but nobody answers

I need a future-proof laptop that I can comfortably use at home for streaming movies and browsing and watching some animu from my hdd.
The problem is that I can spend like 500 yuros max and don't want to get a used memepad that I have to work on myself since I am not very tech-savvy.

They as both same in thickness. Oh well, if you want some REAL thick laptops, then you should look for rugged laptops such as Panasonic CF-30 especially 80-90s computers in general.

> future-proof laptop
T60

>picture of some random chink chick
where do you think you are?

> future-proof
> at home
> streaming, browsing, animu
I don't really see the point to have a 'future-proof' laptop when this is all you do. By those standards, anything could be called 'future-proof'
Why even bother buying a laptop, when you are only using it at home.

> The problem is that I can spend like 500 yuros max
when all you do is watching flicks, you will easily find something for that money

> and don't want to get a used memepad
where the fuck you think you are?

> that I have to work on myself since I am not very tech-savvy.
gtfo, anyone is able to insert a new ram card or an ssd. It's just like Lego

> where do you think you are?
Sup Forums, the most cancerous place of all interwebz xD

I have an x220. The trackpad isnt a sticker, I just put a couple of layers of vinyl over it to smooth it out and then trimmed it to size with a scalpel

>anything could be called 'future-proof'
well obviously future proof for what I intend to use it for
I am using a 10 year old macbook atm and I can't even browse most sites without problems, everything is outdated, a lot of sites don't load completely and my ram is full after opening a few tabs.. that's mainly because my os and browser are outdated, but you get the point
I want something quick for what I want to use it for that will stay this way for the next years

>Why even bother buying a laptop, when you are only using it at home.
I won't only use it at home, but for uni I only need to write and do internet research

>gtfo, anyone is able to insert a new ram card or an ssd. It's just like Lego
not everybody has the time or is willing to spend it mimicking tutorials on how to fix or replace stuff

i would pay about aud$100
in perfect condition it would go for aud$150
sell the stick of ram you put in it separately.

woa xdddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

fucking nigger newfag

Will I make more money not buying the SSD and just selling it as-is? And is the parting out of the RAM really necessary? Will I bring in about the same amount? You also have to consider postage etc of the individual item

>uses macbook and complains things being slow when admitting being to tech illiterate to do anything about it or finding out what could possibly doing it
>dares to post 3DPD whore
Jimmies rustle'd
GET THE FUCK FAGGOT

you sound pretty autistic
I was just hoping that somebody here could help me/recommend me something since I will probably get a dell or thinkpad (newer ones tho, not into diy)

>z61p
>thicc
Bitches don't know 'bout my glawk fowty

im looking at stuff under 800. is thinkpad good for me

Thanks, I might give this a try before disassembling the trackpad.

T450
T460 if you can get one in great shape

Hold on, room specific rulers?

did anyone here bought T400/X200 here? Do you think is it worth to buy that just to go full freetard (libreboot + trisquel + no intel me)
I also want to buy a T420, but X200 is just 90 dollars so i can afford both

That's pretty thicc my dude

We /thiccbich/ now?

if you want to experiment with freedumbs then ya a T400/X200 are solid choices for cheap, also highly recommend getting a small cheap SSD for it

personally I would look to get a *30 or newer, because USB 3.0, etc.

what about a p51s?

>you sound pretty autistic
Is that supposed to be an insult?
>not into diy
IT'S FRU OR CRU NOT DIY YOU FUCKING MORON
Is that the best you got?

I can live without USB 3.0, for reference T440 costs two times as T420 but CPU has no significant upgrade
do you know if X200/T400 has free as in freedom drivers or should i have to buy an adapter

Are there any alternatives to the T440p and T460p? I've been searching through the internet for 14" laptops that have or can have quad cores and I keep coming up with nothing except trash and le gamer razer. I don't need a graphics card because that would be external and z-height should be around 2.5cm r

If there were something old that had expressport also that'd be pretty sweet, I wouldn't have to upgrade GPU solution.

you think you can live without usb 3.0 until you've actually used it

the wiki lists all the wireless adapters

thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T400

The new XPS 15 has a quad core processor
It's 15" but it's got thinn bezels so it's a small 15" inch laptop

if USB 3.0 costs me 350 dollars then I'd like to be ignorant, I'm a poorfag student
thanks for the link user

My T530's case has a few cracks which have been triggering me for a while. Is buying a palmrest for $33 from china worth it? I just hope it has the same quality plastic so I don't get chinked out of my money.
Also, my original case has no fingerprint reader, but I read somewhere that all T's have one but sometimes they're hidden under the case, is that true?

is it worth maxing out my X220 (need a new keyboard, battery, SSD and more ram) or should I just buy a newer model?

it might have the headers for it, but I HIGHLY doubt it will have a fingerprint reader ready to use
even if it did, I reckon the BIOS would need to be flashed

Hey guys,

I just bought this X240 for 150 eurodollars.

I wasn't especially looking for a Thinkpad, just a light use laptop for dumping my camera SD card on, and do some netflix and web browsing on the go.

It's the very base model, i3, came with 4GB and a 500GB HDD in very good condition, I just tested it a bit in the shop, seemed fine apart from the HDD slowness. So I put a 120GB SSD I had laying around in it as soon as I got home, along with a fresh instal of W7 pro, and now I must say it's a pretty snappy little machine.

As far as I understand it's considered one of the worst Thinkpads ever, but I've never tested any of the best ones, so I don't really have a basis to compare this one to.

The only problem I have left is the WWAN driver which won't install, even after installing NET 4. Although I don't think I'll ever put a SIM card in it.

nice, dude.
wouldusetoshitpost/10

samefag
>As far as I understand it's considered one of the worst Thinkpads ever, but I've never tested any of the best ones, so I don't really have a basis to compare this one to.
You have to be new here or just fucking retarded

How many different W530 motherboard are there? I'm looking for the FRU code of the one with quad channel memory and most importantly the K2000 GPU. Can't seem to find shit anywhere on Lelnovo's sites and PDFs. Apparently too there's different motherboard with shit like optional expresscard stuff or whatever. Not sure about that though.

Buy a X230 and max it out, then mod with 7 row keyboard

why is it so comfy bros?

Yes.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIABYS54D4009&cm_re=x220-_-9SIABYS54D4009-_-Product

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA10V5HE6476&cm_re=macbook-_-9SIA10V5HE6476-_-Product

which one

if i get the thinkpad it will probably be running red hat distro or hackintosh

>$300 X220
>7 year old MBA, $350

uh please don't buy either of those

>i5, 8GB RAM, 9-cell battery, and slice battery. It has no hard drive at the moment
that's a pretty decent package if the batteries hold a good charge. IPS X220 is also rare so the right buyer would pay a good price imo.

libreboot.org/docs/install/t400_external.html says that to find out my flash chip size, I should use:

# flashrom -p internal -V

Where would I enter this? Sorry, I'm a complete noob.

bash script

I love thinkpads where the keyboard occupies the full width, typing this on an x200s right now.

I read that bending the metal on the top and bottom of the card while it's in the slot will stop it from coming out.

The rubbery top of my T410 is all scratched up. Wat do?

>buy X201t from some random eBay auction
>for some fucking reason it comes with a Nipponese keyoard
>don't want to use it in front of people because I'll look like a weeb

It is comfortable as heck though. Bought a Lenovo 9 cell battery for it and it's fun to use.

i crave an x230 just to put a backlit nippon keyboard in it

but I currently have an x220 and I'm happy with it, don't see much of a point in swapping the keyboard for just another non-backlit one

u mad whiteboiis??

I dropped my think-pad today and the battery and keyboard fell out. I put them back in and it said that it does not recognize the operating system. How do I fix this?!?!?

Opinion on HP ProBook?

remove and reinsert the hard drive

if it's a HDD it's probably dead, they are kind of sensitive to physical bumps and such

>hey I got an idea since we moved from the best compromise for widescreen resolutions to garbage 16:9 lets design our website to exacerbate the problem!

>autism, the post

Can i put a 2560x1440 screen in a t450? From the specs it seems to be supported

Yes

Any details on how to do it? Costs? Thanks mate

>faggotry, the post

I dont have a thinkpad.
I want a thinkpad.
I intend to purchase a thinkpad in the near future.
I will soon have a thinkpad (lord willing).

I may buy 2 thinkpads.
If I buy 2 thinkpads, one will be large and one will be small.
Which thinkpad I use would depend on the situation, assuming I were to purchase two of them.

X230 and t450

Slowly growing my collection. I have/buying the following so far:
700e
X40
X61s
X301
T430s

What other thinkpads should I look at. I want something that really embodies the bento box design personally but I'm not that interested in the workstations.

T420s/T430s 2K/WQHD PREORDERS ARE OPEN ON THINKPADS.COM!

If you wanted a 2K/WQHD display this is gonna be your only chance for a while.

-s models only.

Can i put a 4k screen in a t450

Is there any guide out there on what 3rd party hdd ultrabays work with T430s?

The microcenter near me has two different ones available, but the silverstone one apparently doesnt work with anything newer than the 410.

You should dye all your kecaps black and switch to dvorak layout

>-s models only.

WHY REEEEEEEEEEEEe

Post RARAE Thinkpads

don't be greedy, share those RAER memes

Model?

755 iirc

I prefer to have a laptop that doesn't throttle as soon as a load is put on it

ebin :--DDDDDDDD

Me too!

will this work work with a x230? can i get anything more powerful?

corsair.com/en-us/vengeance-16gb-high-performance-laptop-memory-upgrade-kit-cmsx16gx3m2a1600c10

yes DDR3 SODIMM will work with it

I would recommend looking for 1.35V RAM though to save a little electricity and heat

I'm considering it, can you get it sans GPU and with the regular screen but with a nice quad core? Is it socketed? The other problem is that it means upgrading to a more expensive eGPU solution.

you can get it sans gpu
it's not socketed
and the TB3 is half speed so it's not an amazing egpu rig (check eGPU.io for info)

ThinkPad T430 4GB 320 GB HDD Windows 7 Pro for 280 Canadian dollars.

Worth it or not?

I wouldn't spend that much unless it's in mint condition and doesn't have a garbage 1366 x 768 resolution. Also you will probably want to get more ram and an SSD and you might need a battery so you will need to factor that into the price.

I got this with a 320GB drive for 150 US almost a year ago. I don't know the market in canada but I would think you could find something cheaper

tp.krelay.de/index.php?type=4178-6vu

>doesn't have a garbage 1366 x 768 resolution

That's the default screen, right?

keep em coming

Question: Can you have a SDD, HDD and Optical Drive all on the same Dell Latitude E6420? I know you could have two of three (replace the Optical Drive with SDD/HDD), but I would rather have all three at once. Am I just asking for too much?

What's the oldest OS I can install on my T61 with nvidia dGPU?

Prolly Win98
You could go older if you're okay missing drivers for almost everything

As long as it has a functioning display, it will be fun to dick around with something pre-NT on this. The COA says it shipped with Vista Business.