/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (try to use a search engine that respects your benis such as searx, ixquick or startpage).

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=207907
falkvinge.net/2013/11/17/nsa-asked-linus-torvalds-to-install-backdoors-into-gnulinux/
mashable.com/2013/09/19/linus-torvalds-backdoor-linux/#klVwR1VdnaqF
gnu.org/proprietary/malware-microsoft.en.html
calmclinic.com/panic/causes/caffeine
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_parentheses
youtube.com/watch?v=lR-lxPhGunU
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications#Console_3
one.npr.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

1st for I'm going to nuke windows

clap clap clap

When I run feh from the terminal the window opens at top left instead of the center like every other program. Am I missing a setting/option somewhere or is this just how it is?

Running cinnamon on arch.

Why is youtube-dl so inconsistent when streaming from twitch? Some days it's buttery smooth, some days it cant even keep a 1s buffer. Meanwhile streamlink always powers through. If it were shitty internet, wouldn't both streamlink and youtube-dl be stuttery pieces of shit?

Before I go to bed I open up a terminal, run screenfetch, and stare at the Arch logo that is output for half an hour, or until I climax

streamlink even keeps a higher bit-rate. youtube-dl's bit-rate is spiking constantly

How do I learn X?

I tried installing LightDM and it literally does not work. Does absolutely nothing. Trying to run a dm-tool command results in Unable to contact display manager: Could not connect: No such file or directory

I'm xfce on void, don't have any outlandish configuration or anything. I can't be bothered to spend hours trying to figure out things, because I have literally no idea where to start. Is there like a guide that would give me a good idea of how things work, so that I can approach problems like these from an informed perspective?

Hey guys, probably not strictly a Linux question, but after couple of months of using Xubuntu, I decided to get rid of W7 from my work/school laptop, because it's been really great.

Is there a way to merge old Windows partition "New Partition 1" into dev/sda6 Data?

The woman in orange has a nice torso.

Technically you're using the goo software for that.

Where is he in this picture? It vaguely looks like Rome

Delete the partition, resize the other one to take up the now-empty space.

I don't think there's a way to merge partitions preserving data, so you'll need to back it up, proceed as above, then copy it back manually.

Thanks. That's what I was afraid of, I don't have too much free space to temporarily put my stuff somewhere else. I'll probably have to just have one weird 40 GB partition until I get hold of some external drive.

The other user beat me to it.

Some other things:
- If you're getting rind of windows you don't need the 100 MiB NTFS partition either.
- At some point you'll appreciate having a real filesystem for your data rather than NTFS. Maybe rather than extending the NTFS partition you'd be better off making a new ext4 (or xfs, zfs, btrfs, pick your poison) storage partition. .

Why does qemu not recognize my bridge setup?

bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=207907

Can a friendly user recommend a good budget-mid tier laptop that I can install linux on? $600 max, maybe?

I won't be doing anything too fancy on it, so it doesn't have to be a performance monster. Also, are laptops that have Windows 10 preinstalled "locked down" in any way that would prevent installing linux?

Thanks
plsnobully

I suppose clean reinstall would be the best, but I have no way of storing my data for now.

Do you think removing this 100 MiB partition is okay? It does have 'boot' flag on it, did it only apply for Windows?

Thinkpad T450

hello folks im thinking about writing linux desktop apps for fun.

what is some good starter? I hear qt is supported but its sdk is kind of heavy. I want something light since im on 3G during the week and I would prefer to build something lightweight either.

is GTK+ the only way to go?

tkinter for python

>Do you think removing this 100 MiB partition is okay?
Yes.

>did it only apply for Windows?
Yes. It's NTFS, see? It's a sort of equivalent of /boot that recent versions of windows have been doing.

>for fun.
>python
this

Dont use a display manager.
Use startx

startx is love

>Use startx
Use startxfce4

>~/xinit
>startxfce4
>login
>startx

Don't get me started!

looks good. thanks for the recommendation.

Is there a way to change the filepicker on Linux? The one I use doesn't seem to have an option for thumbnail preview.

>Richard Stallman is a Microsoft employee
>He uses Windows
>Tells people that Windows is spying and should use GNU/Linux
>Loonix is actually a honeypot

GNU/Linux*

Patch GTK or install KDE.

falkvinge.net/2013/11/17/nsa-asked-linus-torvalds-to-install-backdoors-into-gnulinux/

refurbished hp compaq/elitebook 1234p/w

>GNU/Linux
Jesus christ.

kekerino

fake news

>The misunderstanding, reported by Slashdot, The Register, The Hacker News and others, was caused by a simple joke that was taken too seriously.

mashable.com/2013/09/19/linus-torvalds-backdoor-linux/#klVwR1VdnaqF

What is so funny, sir? That is the proper name.

they're talking about the kernel

thoughts?

GNU/Linux*

gnu.org/proprietary/malware-microsoft.en.html

What are some cool terminal commands?

cat

tac

Read the man page for the "find" command. That's fucking cool.

>bash: man: command not found

???

How has free software changed your life?

I am the master of my softwares. If I don't like a soft I can change it or use another one.

It made me computer literate.

Hi /fglt/ im in a bit of a conundrum, i have 2 ssd's and two hdd's both the same size, make and model.

I want to dual boot windows and linux but i don't want the ever present botnet of windows to be able to see whats on my linux drives. Is what i want to do possible or can windows see everything on every drive connected to the computer?

ask in the thinkpad thread

Ah, I forgot that existed. Thanks.

Simply encrypt the contents on whatever partition you install *GNU/Linux in.

Im new to GNU/Linux and Encryption, what would be the best method to use?

Most distros give you an option to do full encryption via the installer (Xubuntu, Linux Mint, Fedora, OpenSUSE). Using a non-installer is a bit more complicated.

What language?

Windows dosent support linux filesystems unless you install extra software to enable it.

cum in the fuck

I'm glad the "((()))" spammer and anti-RMS shill has left these threads.

Thank you user, im reading the gentoo wiki page now.

Not for long before he wakes up

>anti-RMS shill
I'm here, im always here

I think I am having another caffeine panic attack, my heart is racing and I can't think straight. Help me.

calmclinic.com/panic/causes/caffeine

my OS history is:
XP
//XP get bluescreen while installing SP3
Ubuntu (Unity)
Debian (gnome)
Debian (kde)
gentoo (kde)
maybe ill swich to another distro, but i promise Sup Forums, i wont use proprietary OS!

Just in case anyone missed it. It's gold.

newfag here what does >"((()))"
stand for?

>The use of triple parentheses or triple brackets, also known as an (((echo))), is an antisemitic symbol that has been used to highlight the names of individuals of a Jewish background.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_parentheses

It is used when people like (((you))) post

i still post "(((no)))" occasionally

Lmfao

WHAHAHA so *they* rule world Sup Forumsuys, N\/\/0 will never come

Reminds me of this: youtube.com/watch?v=lR-lxPhGunU

What's the most popular email client (preferably terminal or emacs based)? I'm really sick of Thunderbird

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications#Console_3

I know but I was looking for more spoonfeeding
Like what is the most popular one (good documentation, stable, modern featureset)

Was wondering if there was still a modern emacs client as well that is widely used

Iirc mutt and alpine are the most popular `

Im having issues with i/o.When ever i access my raid arrays the system locks up during heavy i/o such as transferring files between the two arrays.But during so,there is no i/o on the main systems ssd. What could be bottlenecking the main ssd and how would i address it?

Why the fuck is OpenSUSE such unusable garbage?

Because, like other buggy shitty distros, it is based on another distro.

Because it ships with so much shit and trying to install only the software you need takes longer than configuring Arch.

Gecko is p.nice.

Hello, I'm running Ubuntu Gnome 18.04
What's the difference between sudo apt-get distupgrade and pic related?
What's the most efficient way to keep your system updated?

*blocks your path*

I meant 17.04

kill -9 60471932

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

Why does one.npr.org/ cause both Chrome and Firefox to use >50% CPU?

Is there a reason why I should use upgrade instead of dist upgrade? I mean, obviously dist upgrade removes packages so it can be unstable, but wouldn't I miss important stuff by using upgrade, for example, I don't know, the kernel stuff?

u mine btc

>not using just apt

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

0.2% on Chrome for me.

apt-get is faster

Prove it.

Minimized?
50% in the foreground, up to 100% of an entire core

Must have something to do with rendering

No.

techviking.jpg