I'm sick of Windows...

I'm sick of Windows, and with Linux I spent too much time trying to fix little things and working around its limitations. I have never used an Apple product before. Do they require the least amount of troubleshooting/active-maintenance?

Other urls found in this thread:

9to5mac.com/2016/11/03/2016-macbook-pro-thunderbolt-compatibility-issues
youtube.com/watch?v=NYVjIjBMx6o
howtogeek.com/198043/how-to-merge-folders-on-mac-os-x-without-losing-all-your-files-seriously
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

the os is comfy but the hardware is fucking shit

They literally just work however like said, the hardware is kinda ass. They decided to just drop features and introduce gimmicks in recent years.

it just werks, but when it doesn't it's way more annoying than any other os

the same is true about their hardware

>fagOS
>work

Put the latest version of macOS on a Thinkpad T420 or compatible hardware and enjoy OS X with everything working, updates just werk and the OS requires zero maintenance at all.

You'll have a downgraded touchpad compared to a Mac if you go the hackintosh route though.

Depends.
Do you consider buying a new device maintenance?

Anyone with decent English reading comprehension doesn't see this as a problem, Pajeet.

>t. mactoddler

>Do they require the least amount of troubleshooting/active-maintenance?

Yes.

Buy a 2012 15" Macbook Pro pre-Retina from Ebay if you want power for $400-600 (upgrade to SSD yourself). This is the last user upgradable and serviceable Macbook, the closest you can get to a Thinkpad in terms of customization and repairability. Or an Apple refurbished 13" Macbook Air if you want portability for cheap with a good OEM warranty, about $900. These are the safest bets.

Avoid 2011 15" Macbook Pros as those have bad GPUs. If you want to roll the dice get a 2013-2015 Retina Macbook Pro used on Ebay and hope that it lasts (not very user serviceable) but have great screens.

If you're rich and like dongles buy the newest ones.

>the most advanced operating system ever

I use Linux actually but I used to use a Mac. Both ahead of Windows by lightyears.

>it jus werx!!111
>60 year old granny buys macshit
>moves some vacation photos around
>loses half of them

Why is Apple such a fucking joke?

Everything in the UI is backwards and you have to fuck around in recovery to get root access and allow the installation of programs from outside of the app store. It has no CLI package manager by default, so to get stuff like QEMU or a Bash version newer than 3, you'll need to install Homebrew. It is the complete opposite of an "it just werks" experience, unless you only intent to browse Facebook and Twitter witj your computer like a retarded normie. Just get an old laptop and install Ubuntu.

The only good parts of a Mac are the trackpad, battery life, and display. Everything else is terrible.

t. 2015 FagBook Pro owner

Will this throttling meme ever die?

No, because it's true.

>Everything in the UI is backwards and you have to fuck around in recovery to get root access and allow the installation of programs from outside of the app store.
This is false

It's still true, watch Rossman's video with one of the newer MBPs.

Prime95 and it goes from 50c to 100c in a second and then starts throttling, with the backplate removed.

GNU/Linux is great, fuck you. Installed Arch 2 years ago and have been comfy ever since, I rarely even restart except to apply kernel updates

I don't get how retards can't make it "just werk".

>Everything in the UI is backwards and you have to fuck around in recovery to get root access and allow the installation of programs from outside of the app store.
This is straight up wrong.

> It has no CLI package manager by default, so to get stuff like QEMU or a Bash version newer than 3, you'll need to install Homebrew. It is the complete opposite of an "it just werks" experience,
Yeah, if you're such a nerd that this shit matters to you. You know that only .001% of the population would even understand what you just said, and even a fraction of that minuscule subset of people would care, right?

> The only good parts of a Mac are the trackpad, battery life, and display.

Oh, so you mean the main things that you do with a laptop? Like control it via your hands (trackpad)? Or view what is on the screen with your eyes (display)? Or take it with you away from a power outlet (battery)?

The fact that those three MAJOR things are of little concern to you, but the stupid bullshit about the default CLI package manager overshadow that, tell me that something is SERIOUSLY wrong with your brain.

>Oh, so you mean the main things that you do with a laptop?
How much of a facebook drone are you that those are the only things that matter to you?

>what is SIP
>what are fucking stupid window controls that change every version
>what is command + q and the close button not closing apps but command + option + esc is required to force quit them
Get the fuck out of here.

>This is straight up wrong.
See above.

>Yeah, if you're such a nerd that this shit matters to you. You know that only .001% of the population would even understand what you just said, and even a fraction of that minuscule subset of people would care, right?
So you're saying that Macs aren't for work? Are you confirming the Facebook machine meme?

>Oh, so you mean the main things that you do with a laptop? Like control it via your hands (trackpad)? Or view what is on the screen with your eyes (display)? Or take it with you away from a power outlet (battery)?
I expect a $1500 laptop to not be made of such cheap metal that the entire palm rest bends from normal use. I also expect it not to get hot enough to burn me, throttle down to 200 MHz, or sound like a helicopter when watching a 1080p YouTube video.

>The fact that those three MAJOR things are of little concern to you, but the stupid bullshit about the default CLI package manager overshadow that, tell me that something is SERIOUSLY wrong with your brain.
Something is seriously wrong with me because I want to use an expensive machine to do real work? Ok then, whatever you say.

Just hackintoshâ„¢ it first before buying mac.

>I compile Gentoo on laptops

kek

What's causing this?

Is there any reason why a laptop shouldn't be able to compile programs?

>So you're saying that Macs aren't for work? Are you confirming the Facebook machine meme?
Do you honestly believe that all "work" requires what you described? Can you please define "work" for me? Or are you such a nerd that only real "work" is performed in a CLI, and everything else is just Facebook to you? You are aware that there are literally millions of people in this world that make more money than you using computers yet probably can't define what "sudo" is, right?

>I expect a $1500 laptop to not be made of such cheap metal that the entire palm rest bends from normal use. I also expect it not to get hot enough to burn me, throttle down to 200 MHz, or sound like a helicopter when watching a 1080p YouTube video.
2012-2015 era 15" Macbook Pros do not do that, and can be had for around $700-1000.

>Something is seriously wrong with me because I want to use an expensive machine to do real work? Ok then, whatever you say.
No, something is seriously wrong with you when you undervalue and minimize something like the trackpad and display (literally the input and output of the machine) to something that you have to configure once for whatever niche job you're surprisingly employed by.

Get a macbook, it just works

what a fucking iFag kek

good point

If you're gonna get a Macbook, get one from eBay, they're cheaper. Or buy a used one. Or get a refurb. Just be smart about it. Don't buy a new Apple product from Apple.

the heat, derp

>You are aware that there are literally millions of people in this world that make more money than you using computers yet probably can't define what "sudo" is, right?
And probably cant even connect a printer by themselves. If your work only requires to fill some spreadshits or presentations then why get an iFuck?
>inb4 graphix design
We're talking about people who make money and have jobs.

Every OS has limitations, windows has the least. If I were you I would just keep windows and run a VM for anything that required a Unix OS. I have a 2013 Macbook Pro, it's a fantastic laptop but it overheats running flash games, say bye bye to games if you want OSX. Other than that you will probably deal with more hardware issues than OS issues.

Get Apple Care because when your thing breaks (and it will) you can get it repaired/replaced for a much better price, I think it's a $100 subscription but they will replace/repair your computer for like $80. Trust me, one time my laptop shit the bed and I originally brought it to an outside repair company and they said it would be $600, I took it to apple and they replaced the logic board and keyboard for $300 w/o apple care.

>And probably cant even connect a printer by themselves.
As if knowing how to do that is a requirement for any job besides entry-level IT?

"Your analytical skills are great. You have a proven record of really engaging with clients. Your interpersonal skills are exactly what we need. But let me ask you one last question: Do you know how to install the print drivers for a Xerox WorkCentre 6083 on OS X 10.11 and above?"

You're an idiot.

>If your work only requires to fill some spreadshits or presentations then why get an iFuck?
Your concept of the work world is so unbelievably naive I'm not surprised you have no understanding of what 99.99% of people actually do with their computers for work.

Lots of professional people prefer (key word is prefer) Macs for exactly the reasons you mentioned. Good trackpad, battery life, display. Low maintenance. Not having to deal with Windows Update being a big one.

>Arrive for presentation
>Plug into projector and open up laptop
>"Working on updates: Part 1 of 7, 30%"
Literally a scenario in which you cannot comprehend.

Thank you for eloquently describing my thoughts 90% of the time when Sup Forums posts about "work".

I think most people here believe that software development is literally the only job outside of working at gas stations and McDonalds.

Is there any reason to compile programs on a laptop that uses an x86 architecture?

I've always been under the impression that Macs are for people who are technologically impaired or for extremely flamboyant homosexuals.

or have real jobs that don't require autism

Or people who don't care about the nitty gritty of computing and want an easy to use, slick computing platform.\
To be completely honest, OSX is many times better than Windows, but Windows has huge momentum (it's decreasing now) and market share.

Apple keeps OSX on their hardware to protect that premium experience, which is both their making and downfall.
It keeps OSX (and therefore Apple) from being associated with shitty, cheap machines with shovelware preinstalled.
It also restricts the OS to people who are both willing to pay for and like Mac hardware.

This has kept OSX a distant second in the PC market share. I believe that if Apple had pursued a seriously aggressive PC campaign at the time that W8 came out, or maybe even when W10 came out, they could have conquered a large portion of the home desktop market.

If you buy one yes but dont attempt hackontosh of you hated linux

Every stereotype is grounded in reality.

Yes

>As if knowing how to do that is a requirement for any job besides entry-level IT?
It should be a requirement for any job that uses computers. It's like hiring a truck driver that doesnt how to change a tire.
>Good trackpad, battery life, display. Low maintenance.
Any computer can fit this description, and cost much, much less. That's why iShit is the equivalent of a monkey in a tutu dress. Besides, a good display, battery life, etc isnt worth it when your computers guts are full of shit.

>Do they require the least amount of brain?
yes

>2006-2015
>trackpad impossible to click near upper edge
>extremely loose near bottom edge
>overall flimsy diving board piece of shit
>even applel admitted it's shit and went back to solid non-click touchpads
>still has no real buttons
>relies on pressure sensitive gimmick bullshit
>if you press too lightly or too hard it does something completely different than what you intended
>shit tier 1mm travel chiclet kb
>OSX is a steaming pile of shit with horrendous battery management
>applel's solution is to cram in a massive heavy 95WHr battery to make up for it
>even XXXTREME GAMER cancer like razer blade with 4X the CPU/GPU power and 70WHr battery matches it in battery life in same tasks
>gets BTFO by 55WHr Yoga 2 in battery life in same tasks
>the battery takes up the space where a cooling system would've been in a laptop not designed by the world's thinnest and lightest gay hipsters
>overheats constantly from abysmal crippled cooling system
>throttles to 800mhz due to chronic overheating problems
>retina meme for "pros" have have gloss mirror coating impossible to use with overhead lighting
>blurry as shit retina meme scaling
>shitbook air even worse with glossy 1366x768 TN eye cancer
>systemic battery explosion problems for over a decade

>2016+
9to5mac.com/2016/11/03/2016-macbook-pro-thunderbolt-compatibility-issues
youtube.com/watch?v=NYVjIjBMx6o
>can't use any existing TB3 devices
>can't use USB and wifi at the same time
>ultra shit tier zero travel kb
>keyboard louder than WWII cricket
>memetouch emojibar
>no USB-A
>no escape
>soldered ram
>soldered SSD
>tamper tape on battery screws
>applel falls for their own thin meme and uses 54WH battery
>2 hour battery life

howtogeek.com/198043/how-to-merge-folders-on-mac-os-x-without-losing-all-your-files-seriously
>it's 2017 and moving folders around in finder will STILL cause massive data loss

>macshit is good
Can we finally put an end to this meme?

Apple makes more money from selling the few Macs people buy than all the PC makers do from the generic PCs they sell.
The margins on generic PCs is in single digit percentages. But price is about the only differentiation most PC buyers understand.
Now, once-quality brands of PCs have to slug it out with generics. The result is much lower quality. This isn't as big a draw-back as you might imagine; most PC buyers have little or no expectation of build quality.
The churn period on PCs is about 3 years; nobody expects a PC to remain usable past that. Ex-lease office PCs are usually 50% junk and another 30% repairable. But they are dumped. Nobody but Joe Frugal will buy them.
What would you pay for a used PC that retailed for $300? What sort of warranty would you expect?

>macshit
>build quality

b-b-but my parents money...

>It should be a requirement for any job that uses computers. It's like hiring a truck driver that doesnt how to change a tire.
Confirmed you do not have a real job, and will never be competent enough to be in the position to hire someone. "It should" but it isn't, and never will be, because installing a print driver is not a requirement for anyone's job but entry-level IT. Ensuring that your entire workforce has the computer literacy equivalent of just one $40k salary entry-level IT person is the dumbest fucking expectation I think I've ever heard. You're clueless. Go to bed.

>they could have conquered a large portion of the home desktop market.

They aren't interrested in the desktop OS market per se

>premium experience

Long time arch and windows user here, i have been using macbook pro 2015 for 2 months and i haven't encountered any problem yet.

Except 1 thing, mouse drivers for mac are broken as fuck.

>premium experience

>Implying Windows 10 handles external displays well
>Implying there isn't a myriad of incompatibilities with adapters, displays, configurations etc. with Windows
>Implying Windows 10's hi-dpi scaling in 2017 is even close to as good as OS X's hi-dpi scaling in 2013

Next.

GNU/Linux*

The operating system is called GNU, the kernel Linux.

>premium experience

If only hackintoshes worked well, right?

>premium experience

You're making a mistake user.

Don't tell us we didn't warn you.

>premium experience

yes macs are a premium experience, expensive things tend to be better than their poorfag alternatives. lower quality stuff is for lower quality people. enjoy your chink plastic, botnet and ransomware if you get windows

>enjoy your chink soda can aluminum, botnet and homoware if you get applel

it's just installing a printer, not hacking the NSA. What you are basically saying is that if you are technologically illiterate then Apple is your guy. That doesn't make for good technology and its the reason iShit is getting worse everyday.

>premium experience

>still hoarding files locally
I admit, Apple only really makes products for people that live in current times

>Graphic Designers don't make money

Boy you live in a tiny little bubble, don't you. Graphic designers make more than most STEM people, which is I'm sure what you'd reply if I asked you what you considered "real work".

Shit the company I work for is like at least 50% graphic design, and we pull in millions.

>Accountants need to know how to manage print drivers
>Video editors need to know how to manage print drivers
>VFX artists need to know how to manage print drivers
>Biologists need to know how to manage print drivers
>Chemists need to know how to manage print drivers

Nearly every job requires computers nowdays you fucking moron.

Most people don't need to know all the most trivial shit that needs to be done to make computers work the way they're supposed to.

That's what your Tier-1 ass is for.

I have Macs at work. Some functions in the OS itself seems really bad. Like when I have more than one Chrome browser opened but alttabing opens them all, Show file in folder seems to not work some times. Little things like that makes me hate the os after 8h of working.

>premium experience

The operating system is garbage and the hardware is all-right. However, Apple really hates it when you try to fix your own hardware and so does its best to make it physically impossible. From using adhesive to keep certain components in place to designing various components to fail, Apple continues the tradition of planned obsolescence.

A severe lack of cooling intended to cause the product to die prematurely so that the user would buy another. Apple is a predatory company.

>it's decreasing now
>ignoring the fact that macOS has like a 4% market share that has been dropping for a lot longer
Wew

how is installing a printer trivial? it's pretty much basic shit, along with knowing what to do when your WiFi connection isn't working, installing a program, changing a flat tire, know how to properly use a gun, etc.

Do you really need mommy to do everything for you?

That's because you're using it wrong, you should be using touchpad gestures and expose.

Don't try to use it like Windows.

It baffles me that people can't understand this concept and think mac is shit.

If you want to do something better, why would you do it the exact same way?

I'm sorry, by Mac I meant the pc workstation not laptop. Also not using the "Magic Mouse" or whatever it is called but have the option to use it, I don't like the feeling that I cant have instant right click button.

Back to alt tabbing, for example I often have opened multiple chrome windows and multiple code text editor windows. I like alt tabbing mostly because it remembers the last opened window and I can switch between multiple different windows of the same app easily. Is there anyway to achieve this easily in os x as well by using a regular mouse?

>Do you honestly believe that all "work" requires what you described?
My line of work is Sup Forums related and it requires the things I described. If all you do is fuck around in a web browser for a living, maybe you shouldn't be on this board.

>Can you please define "work" for me?
Google it.

>Or are you such a nerd that only real "work" is performed in a CLI, and everything else is just Facebook to you?
Are you shitting on useful CLI tools like Vim, GCC and Bash because you don't know how to use them? Or are you just a shill. I'm thinking it's the latter.

>You are aware that there are literally millions of people in this world that make more money than you using computers yet probably can't define what "sudo" is, right?
Going back to my first point, if the operating system or hardware you use does not allow you to easily compile programs or utilize common CLI programs, don't fucking post it on a tech enthusiast board, you dumb nigger.

>2012-2015 era 15" Macbook Pros do not do that, and can be had for around $700-1000.
I have a 2015 MBP that I paid $1500 for new from Applel. It absolutely does throttle and the fans are extremely loud. It gets so fucking hot that I can't pick it up.

>No, something is seriously wrong with you when you undervalue and minimize something like the trackpad and display (literally the input and output of the machine) to something that you have to configure once for whatever niche job you're surprisingly employed by.
Those pieces of hardware mean nothing when I can't even use the machine to do real work. Why would an expensive computer not be able to do what an $85 shitbox with Linux does? Go ahead, try to defend your Facebook machine on a tech board, stupid normie.

>The only good parts of a Mac are the trackpad, battery life, and display

so, the only good parts of the laptop are the laptop?

half this shit is false
get better material

Which ones specifically?

Your only option is Mint or Win7 SP1. Maybe Debian. Good luck.

The main component of the laptop is the motherboard which includes the CPU, flash storage, and RAM. The motherboard can still run a complete operating system without the trackpad, display, or battery, but none of those things are useful without the motherboard, stupid ass. Therefore, the motherboard is the most important piece of the laptop.

It's all true. He's a shill so the best he can do is yell that you're incorrect like a 4 year old child caught lying. This is why we call them iToddlers.

The 2006-2015 list is a shitty generic list which takes things like TN monitor and tries to apply it to Macbooks as a whole, so it's not even worth addressing.

The 2016+ (why the plus?) list seems to have been written prior to the 2016 macbook release, so it's going off a bunch of rumors for the 2016 model that didn't actual manifest or weren't really a problem.

I won't argue each point but
>can't use any existing TB3 devices
>can't use USB and wifi at the same time
>2 hour battery life
False
>no escape
It's on the touchbar

>using a mac for anything for the first time
It just feels so...good...and clean. Like that feeling after you exercise and take a long hot shower

How did they do it bros?

More like how did everyone else not do it?
Somehow Windows managed to get worse instead of better and Loonix is still in development hell after 20 years.

Mac just wins by default.

>hot shower
enjoy your eczema and sterility, goy!

>>can't use USB and wifi at the same time
It's true. On launch you couldn't use any kind of USB storage device and WiFi simultaneously, though I think this was solved in an update.

hour battery life
This is also true, though slightly exaggerated. The battery life in the 2016 "Pro" models is only 4-6 hours. So many people complained that Apple removed the time remaining indicator from the menu bar in a software update. Reminds me of the time when the iPhone 4 got piss poor reception and Apple accused customers of "holding it wrong".

Not sure about sterility but I used to have really dry skin. I started taking ice cold showers and it cleared up in under a month.

macfags on suicide by dildo watch

There's a reason our balls are always hanging, they need to stay cool for sperm to stay alive

Are you seriously incapable of comprehending that people have meaningful jobs that don't involve CLI tools or compiling programs?
Are you also so dense that you don't understand how someone on a tech board would want to discuss computers that do their job well?

>with Linux I spent too much time trying to fix little things
can you guess how I know you are shill

>refuse to address his comment
>muh shill

He's not wrong that linux is relatively unpolished and not fit for general consumption.

>computers that do their job well
>iKeks
If their job is browsing Facebook, they're doing a relatively good job.

>You're either a programmer or a facebook browser

You could try to be less acoustic.

>Do they require the least amount of troubleshooting/active-maintenance?
Speaking from experience (many years of using each system, often parallel), macOS is the most resilient to any kind of user error and doesn't get slower over time, even after years of daily use. My MacMinis run literally 24/7 and only reboot for updates that require it - which is like once per month. Apart from that, it's smooth sailing all the way; no active maintenance necessary.