/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out infographic in>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread: >>

Other urls found in this thread:

graphs.headphone.com/index.php?graphID[0]=573&graphID[1]=3721&graphID[2]=&graphID[3]=&scale=20&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Update Graph
reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/hp/sennheiser-hd-380-pro.php
youtube.com/watch?v=mM4Qs5KzW54
head-fi.org/f/threads/instructive-and-sad-story-about-lcd-3-modification-attempt.770678/
youtube.com/watch?v=-nXY6WP6NuU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

DUCKS

r8 my headphones

gentlemen

Bump

doot doot

That anime sounds wonderful on HD600.

fulla 2 + dt 880 250 ohm + lsr 305 = /set for life/ + didn't fall for the mudheiser shill

Nice dac/amp and speakers.

If only if you knew what you're missing out by using DT880 rather than The HD600.

As a HD600 owner, the answer is not much.

I was already set on DT880's after kinda going on a back and forth between K712's and DT880's. DAC X6 was intruiging with it's power output which is why I considered it (apparently there's an amp only version of it on Ali?) and speakers caught my eye for when my girlfriend and I move in together to watch movies and shit.
My main concern is clamp. I like a tight clamp. My small head likes the 668B's and even tightened the clamp on those though the DT880 pads worry me with how retardedly soft they are and I wear thin plastic glasses. Maybe DT770 pads would help with that?

If I love my DT770 and want something more neutral and open, should I go for DT880 or HD600?

I don't find the treble on 770 too much, which has me leaning 880.
Are they different enough to not be redundant?

HI Sup Forums, I'm looking for a new pair of cans, care to help me out?
~100$
Canada
These will mostly be for when I'm at work and plugged directly into a pc. I work in a 3D studio and we've got quite a big aeration system and there's a lot of people who talk loudly. So I'm guessing ideally noise cancelling?
For the type, full-sized? I don't know the difference between that and IEMs
Closed, I don't want to bother others with what I'm listening
I like my cans to be comfortable, I'll have them on most of the day so >8hrs a day
I'm no audiophile so I don't know anything about sound signature at all
I currently have a pair of shitty pone ear buds and at home some Sennheiser hd 419 I think. I really like them.

Thanks for the help mates

>IEMs
in-ear dildos, not cans.
>closed
A sacrifice, but if it's to be used at an open office or the like, it makes sense.
>comfortable
Ok.
>signature: no idea.
As neutral as possible, then.
I'd suggest Sennheiser HD380 Pro. Good isolation, comfortable, reputable, removable cable, replaceable parts, relatively neutral (although a little bassy).
>$100
On closed, this is going to be an issue sadly. You'll have to stretch your budget a little to get something decent.

HD600 hands off. DT880 isn't even in the same category; if anything, that competes with the much cheaper HD558.
>I don't find the treble on DT770 too much
Then you'll be fine with HD600 rather than HD650.
As you already have some DT770 beyers, I strongly suggest HD600 for something different.

Looking for a new pair of headphones.

>Closed
>Neutral
>below 60 usd

Maybe semiopen. As long as they are neutral and cheap.

Things like detachable cable and comfyness are a plus

SR850

I'm willing to go above the 100, maybe at most 150$. Aren't the HD380 pro a down grade from my HD419 ? I recall getting them around that 100$ price tag years ago

>HD419 > HD380
Not by far. Do not get tricked by model numbers. HD4xx are pleb devices. Super colored.

HD380 Pro are or pretend to be "studio monitors". They're a little bassy but otherwise pretty neutral.

HD419 (colored as fuck) vs HD600 (quite neutral full-sized, for reference)
graphs.headphone.com/index.php?graphID[0]=573&graphID[1]=3721&graphID[2]=&graphID[3]=&scale=20&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Update Graph

HD380 Pro: reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/hp/sennheiser-hd-380-pro.php

Alright I'll take your words for it. Guess I'll go with those and wait for a sale. Cheers mates and thanks for the help

BARIIIIII SAX MY NIGGGAAAA

HD600

I have them. I use them everyday at the office for most of the day. Love them.

They don't sound all that different from HD600 in overall feel. They're just closed and worse, but still pretty damn good for something closed.

>hd600
>below $60
-_-

HD600

oh sorry, what you're actually looking for is the HD600

>reputable
Only according to one overzealous user who uses them at work with his Fulla 2 as he's said for the past dozen hpg's it feels like.
XPT100 or CB-1 will sound as good and be more comfortable for cheaper.
HD380 will clamp the shit out your head if it's not small.
The only thing they're good at is isolation, and it won't be world's better than what I've listed.

If you want max comfort and improved, though v shaped, sound look for some DT770 pro 80 ohms used.

>Only according to one overzealous user who uses them at work with his Fulla 2 as he's said for the past dozen hpg's it feels like.
Opinion of anons here are probably irrelevant, but google seems to agree about the HD380 Pro being reputable.

How are the hd598 special edition or the hd280 pro compared to the hd380 pro?
Both are more in my price range but if there's a definitive difference I'll go with the 380 and eat instant noodles for a couple of weeks.
230$, yeah nah that's outta my price range.

280 are garage, I'd stay away. 598se are open, 598cs are also garbage.
HD380 are the only closed Sennheisers worth anything from what I've tried.

>230$, yeah nah that's outta my price range.
That's why I listed two cheaper options than the 380's as well.

Oh! I didn't see that part, my bad. I'll check the reviews, thanks!
Closed and Open only means that you'll have sound leaking outside right? For example would my HD419 be closed? The the 598 we're looking good and I prefer the tissue pads instead of leather, my ears tend to get too hot with leather.

If I like my K7XX's but wouldnt mind an upgrade, whats the logical next step from here?

The Status Audio CB-1 are looking interesting plus there's a sale on massdrop for these. They're looking quite thick tho, doesn't it feel weird? One thing I liked about my hd419 is that they were rather slim.

MDR7506 literally nothing else, maybe m40x if you can find it cheaper, nothing @100 is going to be 8 hours comfortable though unless you put big aftermarket pads on them

419 is closed. Open means you'll hear what's going on around you, and if you have your volume up a lot or people are close they'll hear what you're listening to.
I would consider the thickness a good thing. Pads on them are thick and super comfy. Envelope your whole ear easily and even my huge ears don't touch the inside.

>hasn't tried HM5 or CB-1.

7506 blow those out of the water because it's more neutral.

I can agree with that, but he's looking for something comfy to wear at work, which I wouldn't consider to 7506 to fall under.
user doesn't seem like he's too concerned with sound quality, so I would weigh comfort more heavily.

Don't muck around in mid-fi, just go to end game
so probably HD800/S or the LCD series

>Budget
$550 max
>Location
US
>Source
Computer (Will buy DAC/AMP if needed)
>Type of headphone
full-sized
>Open or closed
Open
>Comfort level
maximum comfy
>Sound signature
mid-centric or neutral
>Past headphones
Sennheiser pc360

A bit too expensive imo. I was thinking the Massdrop X Fostex Ebonwood TH-X00 or T90 Tesla

consensus on bluetooth audio? looking at getting a v-moda crossfade 2 (rose gold w/ aptx). how much quality is lost without wiring the headphones in?

HD600, definitely.

Havent done much looking around but I noticed those are only $80 more than what I originally paid for my k7xx's, is that going to be that huge of an upgrade? I mean I'm find spending around $500. I doubt my uber schiit stack could power much more.

You're looking at price of all things? As if price ever meant anything.

Go read some HD600 reviews FFS. There's a reason these have been around for 20 years and people still swear by them and recommend them.

Hey guys I would appreciate any recommendations

>Budget
$250-$350 flexible
>Location
Unites states
>Source
Computer motherboard built in sound, but could to get an amplifier
>Type of headphone
LARGE Circumaural/around ear cup
>Open or closed
Closed back (for sound isolation)
>Comfort level
Comfort level is very important
Durability is also important
Sound quality is less a priority but still would like nice quality (bass heavy or “V” is good)
>Past headphones
Sennheiser HD280 – Good headphones, just got worn out and didn't seem worth it to buy another pair
Sennheiser 598 – Excellent comfort and sound quality, but they are open back and I also had problems with durability
Audio-Technica ATH-M50x – Pretty good, but not to as comfortable and had durability problems

>I doubt my uber schiit stack could power much more.
You'd have a hard time finding headphones the uber magni2 can't power. And why do you think price it's correlated to power efficiency.

Maybe HD380 Pro. They're a huge upgrade to these HD280s.

Also, if they're worn out -> get new pads.

DT770 pro 80 ohm, best closed headphones until you get to the $400 dollar range.
Super comfy, excellent bass.

Cheap enough that you could get a Fulla 2 if your onboard doesn't get loud enough.

Thoughts on the TH-00 Ebony?

Oppo PM-3 if you want to stretch your budget a bit.

lel

If I want to pick up a pair of used HD600, what prices are a good deal?

Don't listen to the retards who think you can get $10 walmart shitphones that sound better than HD800s. The HD600 is going to be a small upgrade at best, I'd suggest you look further.

What should I do Sup Forums?

get a better camera

TH-X00's or Modhouse Argon

See camelcamelcamel and such for a good idea of what pricing is like over time.

It's not even an upgrade, more like a sidegrade. The HD600 are going to sound muffled and claustrophobic compared to the airy, kind-of-bright K7xx.

Any news on Bluetooth 5 supporting headphones?

I'm growing tired of this wire meme.

Im not sure what i want. I dont need some really expensive audiophile level headphones but i need some really nice headphone i can use soundwhoring on csgo. Preferably with a mic

AKG K612/702/712

I-is that...Chris Cornell?

>Budget
About $100

>Location
United States

>Source
3.5 mm jack on pc and ps4

>Type of headphone
Full Sized

>Open or closed
No preference

>Comfort level
Comfortable enough to wear for hours at a time. Preferably ones that won't make my ears sweat too much on hot days.

>Sound signature
No preference

>Past headphones
HyperX Cloud II. Had it for about two years, but now the right cup is starting to cut out.

HM5 only work if you have a literal pea for a head. They clamp like all fuck and aren't comfy at all. The pads are nice but jesus its like wearing a fucking vice.

how to prevent this
youtube.com/watch?v=mM4Qs5KzW54
from happening

>Budget
$100 or less

>Location
US

>Source
3.5 mm Ipod Classic and pc

>Type of headphone
Full sized

>Open or closed
Semi open or closed

>Comfort level
somewhat to very

>Sound signature
Good bass
great mids
tolerable treble

>Past headphone
Tascam TH‑02
Panosonic RP-HTF600-S
Sony MDRZX100

IEM with or without mic?

>LCD series

I wonder if audeze has gotten their shit together since this:

head-fi.org/f/threads/instructive-and-sad-story-about-lcd-3-modification-attempt.770678/

blue leds are the devil

can you do something like this to a headphone?
youtube.com/watch?v=-nXY6WP6NuU

>HD600
>muffled

Nope. The K7XX is muffled, the mid-bass output is insane.

So can anyone tell me anything Philips Fidelio L2BO?

What would you recommend?

Become bald.

Maybe you should listen to the video, and he'd tell you.

Just take it apart, desolder the LED and slap any color you want in there (or just replace it with a resistor on the off chance it even needs to be there for it to work).
Oh wait, I forgot, this is Sup Forums - consumer electronics.

This thread used to be pretty cool
Now it should be renamed "headphone request" or "HD600 and Schitt dickriding"

>Budget
$250
>Location
Canada
>Source
PC
>Type of headphone
Full-sized
>Open or closed
Open
>Comfort level
Comfy
>Sound signature
Neutral

Someone insists that their Stax lambda amplifier works normally with a switching power supply.

Is this claim false? From my knowledge, amplifiers only take linear power supplies. Also from experience I could never get an inspec switching power supply to work with my stax gear. There would always be a pulsating LED and no sound while the original linear adapter worked fine.

K612

I've been looking to upgrade my SR60s, I'd say my budget is under $200. Don't care about open or closed, but these will only be used at my computer, and plugged into my computer. Would on ear or fullsized.

I need recommendation for in ear wired headphones to use with xiaomi redmi 4.

Already have nice bluetooth ones but xiaomi doesn't support eq over bluetooth and I'm not in a mood for rooting just to install vipers audio or some other audio mod.

I'm after nigga bass.

>nigga bass
Shure SE215
Tennmak Pro
KZ ATE

>Budget
Approximately $200. Can move up if the quality gains are significant. I am interested in suggestions for high quality items that I might find cheaply on Craigslist or eBay, used or new matters little to me.
>Location
United States
>Source
PC
>Type of headphone
Full-sized
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Sound quality > comfort. If necessary, something I can purchase minor comfort upgrades for to compensate.
>Sound signature
Neutral. Studio headphones desired.
>Past headphones
N/A
>Notes
I wear glasses. I need something that will work with them.

I intend to acquire headphones for both music production and gaming. If you have any amp/dac suggestions to pair with your headphone suggestions, I would be happy to hear about them. Additionally, I've heard about DT 770s/770 pros, and have some interest in them. Any thoughts?

Thank you.

why are open headphones so good?

>Budget
under $30
>Location
USA. preferably something off amazon
>Source
phone
>Type of headphone
IEM
>Comfort level
dont care
>Sound signature
v shaped
>Past headphones
dt770s

buying advice time.

getting back into production and i need a good pair of cans to help me mix my music.

>Budget
$50 is a hard cap for me right now
>Location
US
>Source
right now i'll be using my PC's onboard soundcard but i eventually plan on getting a proper setup going in the near future.
>Type of headphone
Over Ear
>Open or closed
I'd much rather prefer closed as i'll be using it to mix music and don't want much in the way of bleed out or outside noise interfering.
>Comfort level
i want something that i'm not going to regret wearing for hours on end. And i also have long hair which i tend to wear up, so anything that's not going to cause too many problems with that would be nice.
>Sound signature
I'm looking for something as close to Neutral as possible (because like i said, i'll be using these to mix and master music)
>Past headphones
Sennheiser 201s were my last "decent" pair of headphones, and right now i'm using my roommate's Steel Series Sibera 200 headset as it's the only pair of headphones i have that aren't apple earbuds

I'm thinking about getting a Sennheiser PXC480 since it's around the amount I'm willing to spend for a good pair of headphones and I'm really attracted to its use for travel, what does Sup Forums think? Are there better alternatives for around $400-500? I would also prefer a microphone

Recently got M40Xs are recommended by a friend and as my first set of proper audiophile headphones and I'm in love, but am I missing out by not having cashed out a bit more for the M50Xs?

hello sirs

>Budget
$20 max
>Location
India
>Source
Android
>Type of headphone
full-sized
>Open or closed
Open
>Comfort level
very
>Sound signature
mid-centric or neutral

After replacing chink cable linking my O2 with ODAC I must say the sound and stereo improved dramatically, and I don't get static noise on higher volume anymore.
I am not claiming cables improve quality, but shitty cable can definitely degrade it.
Pic related, chink cable cut in half

kz-zst's

im concerned about the detachable wiring on the monitors since i will be using them at the gym. will they be fine for that kind of setting

Nah.

>tfw my fulla2 arrives today