Rack Server Hoarding

What does Sup Forums recommend for starters?

I've seen some HP Proliant DL380 G4 with 6-bay 3.5" HDD support, but I'm not sure what kind of connector the motherboard uses for hard drives.
I found some photos of hot-swap HDD holders for similar servers and they all show hard disks with non-SATA connector.
I really wanted to use my old SATA 3.5" hard drives with this server, though looks like they might be not compatible, I wasn't able to find any SCSI to SATA adapter that doesn't cost more than an HDD itself.

Other urls found in this thread:

h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/images/ap/DL380G4_v37.PDF
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Looks like some variation on SAS maybe

The official PDF says there're 2 versions, SCSI and SAS version:
h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/images/ap/DL380G4_v37.PDF
But the insertion I found doesn't specify anything about that. In the back, on the left there's an additional SCSI port, pic related.
I imagine this version uses SCSI connectors for the hot-swap hard drives, maybe I should contact the seller.
Do any adapters exist for this kind of connector? it should pass both data and power to the HDD, unlike conventional SATA that uses separate power connector.

>Maximum Internal Storage Type

>Hot Plug U320 SCSI - 1.8 TB - 6 x 300 GB with standard internal hot plug SCSI drive cage

>Hot Plug SAS - 576 GB - 8 x 72 GB with standard internal hot plug small form factor SAS drive cage

It kinda sucks, doesn't it? I wonder why there's this stupid storage capacity, could it be bypassed with some firmware hack or is it due to hardware limitations?

looks like u320 scsi

also I have a dl380 g4, it's trash I'm afraid. I've got a 360 g6 and it's okay though

>360 g6
The specs look very nice, how much storage can it handle? what I see in google images shows 4-bay, can't really tell whether it's 3.5" or 2.5" though.

>What does Sup Forums recommend for starters?

Don't get a rack mounted server. Racks and rails are expensive, noisy AF, power hungry & poor value.

Just get a hp gen 8.

Why the fuck do you need a server you fucking creep? Games don't use more than 4 cores and you can fit that in any standard ATX case

>Maximum Internal
Storage: Non-Hot Plug SATA 16TB (4 x 4TB) 3.5" SATA
Looks better than the 6-bay rack-mountable server, but it also costs 3 times the price.

I don't need it for games. It's for backups/filesever and these rack-ready servers seem the be the most economic choice, it's just the HDD capacity and format that doesn't seem very feasible.

Get rid of anything that can't fit standard mobo dimensions or standard SATA/SAS, just get rid of it.

For mobos sizes you can easily just get a drill and measure and done.

you can get upto 6 2.5" drives in it, and you can get the drives upto 300gb each

So 1.8TB total. Is there no way to expand this capacity? I wanted to use 2 bays in RAID1 for the operating system and other software that will run on the server, and the other 4 bays for simple storage.

Boat anchors, plain and simple. Good for converting your disposable income into heat but not much else.

HDDs are U320 SCSI over SCA connectors for hot swap. You won't be building your own replacement backplane anytime soon so, although any 3.5" HDD will fit the sleds there is no point since you will be running cables anyway.

These machines are loud, hot, expensive to run and will not serve your intended purpose. Get a NAS.

If it's anything like the g6 the connector you're looking for is mini-SAS

The ML3xx g6 series supports six 3.5" or eight 2.5" drives, up to at least 600GB.

The problem with NAS is that from 4-bays and up they start to get very pricey and they don't have great specs compared to these servers.
In power consumption, how much additional electricity would these rack servers with 2x PSUs consume? compared to regular desktop PSU.

>six 3.5" or eight 2.5" drives, up to at least 600GB.
If it's 6x 3.5" 600GB sounds definitely more reasonable but I imagine this also uses SAS or SCSI connectors, so I would need to buy new compatible HDDs in addition to the server itself, unless there're any adapters I can use with the HDDs that I already own (SATA).

>mini-SAS
First time I hear about this connector, I'll try finding some informations. If it allows me to use SATA hard drives in these SCSI/SAS server, it would be fantastic.

They're SAS
I'm not sure if you can get a SATA backplane instead

I'm still waiting for gen9. The 4 core xeon version is difficult as hell to find where I live. Need to virtualize my firewall and a few other applications.

>with 2x PSUs consume? compared to regular desktop PSU.

First, 2x PSUs are for redundancy. The loadout determines the load and splits it over two PSUs when in normal operation. A fully loaded system can run on one PSU, which is rated for 575W if my Google-fu is not off.

Second, we are talking 2x old NetBurst Xeons at, the most, 3.6 GHz with a tdp of 110W under load. Add in HDDs and whatever else there's under the hood and you begin to realise that the PSU (singular this time) is specced pretty close to it's intended workload. And these old architectures don't throttle well on idle. Hell, the G6 only sees a reduced power consumption of ~30% from full tilt to idle.

Between thumb and forefinger, we're looking at 350W idle and 420W under mixed load, 24/7/365. Your power company gets an erection at this point. All this while keeping you awake to the tune of 60-ish db.

That's a mighty loud space heater.

>350W idle and 420W under mixed load, 24/7/365. Your power company gets an erection at this point. All this while keeping you awake to the tune of 60-ish db.
kek I guess I'll give up on these boys for the time being.
I found an alternative setup solution just now, even though the specs aren't anything special.

Why do you need rack mount?
Used i3 with 4gb ram free
>$45 Dell LSI card off ebay
>$20 breakout cables
>$50 8 HDD bay case
I have all 8 bays filled with 6 or 8TB Red's and still keep it under 100w.

This thread seems relevant to my interests and my question doesn't warrant it's own thread.
So my hp proliant dl360 g5 should have according to a couple of my vms i have there (VMware esxi a best) it is packing two xeons, can't remeber which one tho. But when i opened it up to add more ram i noticed that only one cpu socket was being used as in the other one even had the disgusting foxconn-branded plastic piece protecting the empty socket. Anyone know what the fuck is going on?

>it is packing two xeons,
>i noticed that only one cpu socket was being used as in the other one even had the disgusting foxconn-branded plastic piece protecting the empty socket.
Then it isnt packing two xeons. its packing one.

you can just get a 4c xeon yourself and swap the processor, they are still pricey but you can sometimes find a 1260l on ebay for cheap