People laugh and make sarcastic comments about GIMP

People laugh and make sarcastic comments about GIMP.

I've found it useful over the years.

Anyone else?

Other urls found in this thread:

krita.org/en/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

it werks...if you are a hobbyist.

Same, it's basically adobe pajeets shilling their pooware

t. amateur

Thie fact that a digital painting app is almost competitive with the GIMP when it comes to image manipulation should tell you something, OP.

Your standards must be impossibly low.
Or you're not a pro.

t. pajeet

I'll be honest, all I really use it for is getting rid of jpeg artifacts.

Post your work that can't be done in GIMP.

I just use it for batch resizing

the tech illiterate macfag le artists who think muh adopee is the only software you can do professional work on have arrived. good luck with your thread OP

It's good for making animated GIFs. There's a plugin for splitting a video file's frames into layers and you can set a specific delay on a frame and the rest to a constant delay. Or if you simply have a sequence of images, to turn them into a GIF.

>posting professional stuff that's linked to your career on Sup Forums
yeah no thx.

GIMP can do every single thing Photoshop can.

It'll just take longer, a lot longer usually.

Sounds logical.
For me it replaced mspaint when I stopped using windows.

>wanted to do simple / basic things
>to accomplish this, had to learn about features I didn't need
>knowing these other possibilities exist means adding small twists to otherwise simple / basic things.
>slowly, tasks which would have been completed in mspaint are replaced by things for which mspaint would not have been sufficient.

I've considered the fact that if the above trajectory continues, I'll run into things that require photoshop, because GIMP lacks functionality.

But that seems like a stretch.

kek

paint.net is superior in every way

How much did you get paid for this piece?

Learned on pirated adobe photoshop cs5. Tried GIMP after and didn't like it. That's all.

Krita can replace PS for illustrations, Scribus can replace indesign for most things, and Rawtherapee and Darktable are suitible alternatives to Lightroom. But the fuckin' GIMP is no replacement to Photoshop without adjustment layers, non-destructive editing, and fucking CMYK support.

it's priceless

>Krtia
>Adobe

Who the fuck are you calling tech illiterate?

>no CMYK support
>no 32 bpp support
>no layer styles
>no adjustment layers
>no smart filters
>no clipping masks
>cant edit rotated text
>can't select multiple layers

I also use GIMP when I need to edit something, not because it's better but because it's free of cost. You can do a lot of things with it, it's not like MS Paint or anything. Adobe Photoshop would be nice but I do these things so rarely that there's no way to justify that cost. Even some monthly subscription would eventually mean I pay the subscription every time I open it, that's how rarely I use it.

>Who the fuck are you calling tech illiterate?

the autistic virgin that spends all day drawing thinly veiled cumshots onto anthropomorphic animals rather than doing anything productive on his computer.

also
>no 3d sculpting capabilities
>no lisp interpreter
>can't cook

Nigger, that's the mascot.

krita.org/en/

Post work

Thing is, none of these things actually prevent you from producing quality work, your workflow just adapts, otherwise noone would have used Photoshop in the early versions

>none of these things actually prevent you from producing quality work

Lack of CMYK support sure as fuck does.

>Oh shit, some babby doesn't know about imagemagick colorspace conversion

Come back when your not a babby

t. non professional

Maybe, but not having those features certainly makes work much slower and harder than it needs to be.
>CMYK is perfectly mappable to RGB
>You can convert a 24-bit image to 32-bit color

Some early stuff of mine.

Does Krita even have CMYK support? If not, it deserves to get shit just as much as the GIMP.

Yes

Well, now the GIMP looks like even more of a joke.

Good example.

Why is native CMYK editing needed in a color managed workflow?

Let's not get into a game of dodgeball make a quick mockup project that highlights what can't be done it doesn't have tobe good just a proof of concept.

Once krita makes their selection tool and text tools better I will have literally no reason to open gimp.

No clipping masks in GIMP? For real? Fuck. Can't believe I even considered downloading it once.

Thanks for weighing in. I'm serious. I appreciate your post.

What is this?

Cool shit, man.

Krita

Thanks. Here's another one, a bit more recent.

I like it, man. Quick and Informative.
Did you create that drm cracking software too?

just pirate CC or use cs2 legally

I've used it since 2005... that's 13 years now. So long that all of its oddities are baked into me. I keep on crawling back.

>Gimping your workflow with GIMP when Photoshop is easily pirateable and Krita exists

Interesting, it's just about the same for me, but the other way around.

>professional
>doing graphics work
Not STEM, not professional.

>professional - adj.
>(of a person) engaged in a specified activity as one's main paid occupation rather than as a pastime

This is a technology board. Anything outside of STEM is not a profession related to technology. The relevancy of any such profession does not pertain to technology-related discussion.

is there something like PhotoFiltre (not too advanced, not too mspaint) for linux?

furries not even once

worse than paintshop pro

i like it. can compete with photoshop imo.

Just select a circle, shrink the selection, and delete the inside

The only people who can't get GIMP to work right are normies and professionals who need to get real work done.

I use it to turn my gel electrophoresis photos into black and white, crop it, and then I use the color level graph thingy to adjust the contrast so that the amplicon bands are clear. Then I use it to label the DNA ladder, lanes and bands of interest. No doubt there are better tools that comes with the bioimaging machine but they're propriety and I can't use them on my laptop.

why would anyone use gimp when you can pirate photoshop? for light editing, I just have paint.net installed on the side because it opens in seconds.

Easy to fix red eye and do some work on pics.

Gimp doesn't stop you from copying and pasting a bill (money) into a canvas

I can draw a dick of 4 on Benjamin's face in gimp but not Photoshop

What now faggot

Go take (almost) any paper bill image and paste it into Photoshop.

I just use it for simple tasks like cropping and color correction, and it works just fine for me.

As long you aren't working professionally it is perfectly fine.

that's what paint.net is for

It's usable but it's not as good as photoshop.

I used GIMP for years when I was on my Linux install and it's not as good as photoshop. Text on GIMP has subpixel rendering, the magic wand is worthless, no preview for many filters, and just so many other issues.

holy shit, the only person in the thread to mention the wand tool. the wand tool in recent years has been absolutely amazing in photoshop, it really gives clean edges. and I can only assume that gimp's wand tool is shit in comparison by your statement.

GIMP's wand tool is unusable by itself unless you're dealing with pixel art or something. Even on anime images it will leave jagged, bright edges which you manually need to fix yourself, either using an eraser or by messing with the selection shape.

I hope you learned you lesson and realized that long, flashy animations are just a waste of time for real world use.

It was always crap if you every wanted to do anything in depth. If you want to shill a good, free drawing program then go for Krita instead. Krita is actually good.

You do realise that the wand tool has settings that help with that, right?

But seriously, while gimp has options to make the wand more useful, photoshop's is better.

yep, same thing happens in paint.net
the programmers must be amazing at adobe if gimp and paint.net can't do wand selections properly.

gimp and photoshop serve a very different purpose compared to dedicated drawing programs like krita or paint tool sai.

It's more Adobe has money to perfect things like this. GIMP is literally maintained by one developer (of course others can contribute as well) and I'm sure Paint.NET doesn't have a big team behind it either.

I never use gimp before.
Are you guys fucking serious?

Maybe it's too hard for you.

>selecting shit is hard
why are you being antagonizing?
relax, this isn't Sup Forums

I don't base my identity on the software I use, so I'm free to use whatever software fits my needs best. GIMP doesn't work as well as Photoshop, therefore I'll use photoshop.

I know that, but a lot of people were still using Photoshop for digital painting and drawing. Krita does digital art well. Gimp never did anything well. Back when I first tried out Gimp, it could not even split an image into seperate RGB channels.

no, he's not.
maybe he is.

in gimp simple objects are done with selections that can be transformed into paths if you need to turn them into more complex objects. for this simple circle, you select it and select trace or whatever it is called without even turning it into a path.

He said you can't edit the text. If you want to rotate or even filter text in GIMP you need to rasterize it first.

>for this simple circle, you select it and select trace
Wait, so you need to make a full circle, select it and then trace to make line of said circle?
There is no other instant way?

Yes?

As soon as you accept that rotation your text will be rasterized and you won't be able to change the font or whatever.

Well you can fill the circle, shrink the selection and then cut the inside of the circle. But no, there is no circle tool or anything like that.

>you have to rasterize next to rotate it in gimp
fucking trash

Because even if you pirated it you're proping up one of the most jewish companies in the world up as a standard. There is a reason Microsoft would rather you pirate Windows than use OSX or Linux.

Just use the border option, and fill that.

then maybe the other companies should get off there asses and appeal to what I need.

To be honest I tried to use gimp and stop because I already used to photoshop interface and workflow, the other reason was photoshop got tons of tutorials laying around in the internet.
After reading this, I'm glad I never bother to learn gimp at all.

You must be new. As in born within the last decade and a half, if you think Kiki counts as fetish material.

Maybe you should stop being such a fucking milk cow and lool at supporting alternatives.

look*

>actually bother to fix his shitposting while using tumblr image

Max autism.

Nigger, tumblr picks come up in a search like everything else. I'm not nearly autistic enough to rename every single thing I find.