Integrated Development Environments

I've been using Eclipse for 7 years now. It's cross-platform so no matter where I go, it's always familiar. What do you use Sup Forums? Why do you use it?

Notepad. Pen/paper. What ever works. Hell, I wrote an entire app on a palm pilot back in the day.

emacs

Look, I get it. We've all written code in a text editor and then compiled via command line at some point in our lives. I'm not saying there aren't some excellent editors out there, but all the features that come standard with an IDE are just aren't comparable.

I know that Windows has Visual Studio and OSX has Xcode, but I use niether of those because I'm not a fag. So let's change the question. Has Eclipse already won? Is it the best IDE for linux?

I like Sublime and Bash

But lately I've been using Atom and Bash because Sublime just shows up as a fuzzy blurry icon in my app launcher, and I'm autistic about clean icons

Install Source Mage

Also:
>are just aren't

Yeah I meant aren't. Restructured the sentence at the last second and forgot to change that part.

I've considered messing with Atom and forcing it to be more like an IDE. Is it worth it or is it a hassle? Am I gonna have to sacrifice a virgin to make it talk to a compiler and get live syntax checking feedback?

>Am I gonna have to sacrifice a virgin to make it talk to a compiler and get live syntax checking feedback?
Probably. I don't use syntax checking feedback, if you mean that thing that tells you when you typed an incorrect statement. Because I don't know how to turn it on lol

>Install Source Mage
I approve, do it OP

I think you mean Jetbrain IDEs

Look OP, you are not considering all the options here.

What makes an IDE what it is? Is bits of functionalities that adds your workflow, isn't? Now, what if you could add build an IDE piece by piece? Maye it doesn't sound too much fun, but when you decide exactly what piece you want, and maybe even choose from a variety of similar pieces, then you have Emacs.

Emacs is a behemoth of an IDE, or maybe more like a LEGO. Of course, you have to find which plugins do exactly what you want, but after finding (or creating yourself) the plugins there is no match.

Vim of course has ways to add similar functions, like autocomplete or tag jumping, although in lesser capability because Lisp is the cornerstone of Emacs and Vim doesn't have it.

Just think about it.

eclipse is a fat and slow piece of shit
>inb4 resources are meant to be used
yeah, let's just waste resources for no apparent reaaon

not op
Does vim/emacs have a gdb fronted which lets me upload an executable to remote target, launch it and step through the code? see disassembly, watchpoints and local variables in the same screen?
Can they even show you the function prototype in a tooltip as you type it's name at least?

I'll admit it's fat. Eclipse is currently using +600MB for me right now. What other option do I have? What do you use?

Most of the code I get paid to write is on one or another microprocessor or DSP. Manufacturers' IDEs are all based on different toolkits, so I wind up using very different environments on every job. Because of that, I've never done much customization of dev, environments. The closest I come to having a "one true path" environment is my favorite programmers' editor coupled with makefiles.

Literally any CE by Jetbrains.

just vim pretty much

That's usually how it goes. I got lucky and found a way to 'freelance' projects for people so I'm not really tied down to a specific company or technology. I just build a solution in whatever language I feel is most appropriate for the job and that usually ends up happening in Eclipse.

>Hundreds of dollars for and IDE that can only work with one language unless I shell out hundreds more.
Are you suggesting I pretend to be a student or steal it?

I know everyone and their mother is going to disagree with me, but I really don't want to invest time into learning Emacs or Vim when they seem like a glorified notepad.exe. I know you can add things to Emacs, but the more I look into it, the more it sounds like I'll spend a lot of time learning shortcuts, even more time modding emacs itself, and after all that it won't work 100% as a compiler.

The community edition is free. What did you think I meant by CE?

Also, where do you work where IT doesn't just buy the license for you if you ask?

>but I really don't want to invest time into learning Emacs or Vim when they seem like a glorified notepad.exe
This is a really really bad attitude to have.

You need to take a good look at what makes emacs or vim different than nano/pico/notepad. There's a reason why they're so widely used and recommended, not just because they're ubiquitous but because they're great tools.

They only have a community edition for java. That doesn't help me because I'm either in c++ making specific tools, or helping people patch backend web shit in php.

I freelance now so it'd be out of pocket for me, but the last job I worked was a small startup and costs were serious business at first. Everything had to be justified and my boss wasn't going to just buy shit if there was a free solution.

That'd just be more reason for me to make do without an IDE, especially if I had to use Eclipse which is god awful.

I could see using Emacs for web stuff. The fact that I'm not fluent with it eats away at my soul. It seems perfect for editing interpreted files over ssh. The only problem is those shortcuts are you-don't-use-it-you-lose-it knowledge and as soon as I take a break from Emacs it'll all be gone and I'll have to struggle through the learning process again. I gotta way this against the productivity of an actual text editor, or even nano. I really can't see using Emacs for c or c++ though. There are just way too many features modern IDEs have. On top of all the shortcut memorization I'd have to customize Emacs with no solid guarantee of getting all those nice IDE features.