/dpt/ - Daily Programming Thread

Previous thread: What are you working on, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/golang/go/wiki/FromXToGo
tour.golang.org
golang-book.com
tiobe.com/tiobe-index/
youtube.com/watch?v=0jPMW6mkxJ0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for C!

Why haven't you learned Go yet?
github.com/golang/go/wiki/FromXToGo

Start here:
tour.golang.org
golang-book.com

All hail Rust

i prefer to wear pantyhose

Just started learning java as my first language.

Did i make a mistake?

Threadly reminder that dlang-chan is not dead; she's going to have her GC tumor removed (eventually); and she's super duper cute and easy to prototype in! Say something nice about her, /dpt/!!!

dumb frogposter

Dumb frogposter thread

no there is nothing wrong with java

tiobe.com/tiobe-index/

Yes. Learn Lisp.

dum frgopspter

Look, an employed Haskell programmer!

YES. java SLOW. hurr JVM SLOW. boilerplate something something everything object. pajeet poo in loo OOP brainlet go back to plebbit
something something learn lisp instead

lisp is slower than java, learn c it's the language what all better than all the other language

2 SCOOPS?!?!?!

Guys, let's just take the shitposters, and move them somewhere else

can we make them pay for the wall?

looks like somebody threw a nickel in the air and took a photo of it.

you might want to consider C#, if you have the choice. it's like Java in a lot of ways but it's also better than Java in a lot of ways

Hey guys, it's an employed LISP programmer! Drat, he got away!

/dpt/ /daily poo thread/ every thread

no

fuck off retarded microshit shill. C# is fucking garbage. they made a knockoff of java and altered it without understanding the design principles behind java. C# is just shit. if you need more "control" like operator overloading and such you should just use C++ instead.

SCOO TOOPS?!?!?!

I want to learn about how to use lambdas, map, filter, and stuff like that in Python.
I know the theory, but I just never apply it in real code where it probably could have helped me.

Is there a resource I can study to get better at applying this knowledge?

I'm thinking of learning to program. What language or languages will get me a job? Please no meme answers.

>muh lambdas

learn java first and then C++

tiobe.com/tiobe-index/

Colbert has never mentioned the "two scoops" controversy. It was an oddball segment by Jeanne Moos, that probably aired once at a random time of the day. It was never meant to be taken seriously. It's a strawman erected by alt-right Sup Forums division.

Python is the worst choice for this. Guido hates FP.

Just google python lambda tutorial

Java if you can out-pajeet the other pajeets.

(depends which sector / what you want to do)

Jobbiest languages out there:
>C#
>Java
>Visual C++
>Visual Basic
>SQL

>Visual C++
discredited, stop posting forever

wrong

youtube.com/watch?v=0jPMW6mkxJ0

So I'm a mediocre programmer at best, ~2.5 GPA, and I have no significant personal projects. What sickens me is that I will probably have no issues finding a job when I graduate in 7 months. They say imposter syndrome is a huge thing in software development, but I think it's mostly shit developers that know they are shit. :(

>code
>muh
>software ""development""
>""developers ""
Also your retarded post isn't programming. Fuck off.

Go > Java, C#, and even the best of both Java and C#
prove me wrong

okay

>prove me wrong
Prove what wrong? You stated a proposition without a proof.

oh thanks. now I can hide all posts in this thread from your IP.

t. microshart

you sound reasonable. what design principles are you referring to? the lack of value types? C# learned from and improved upon the design of Java. C# is measurably better in all, and minor things like operator overloading are pretty far from the top of the list of reasons why. not to mention such a thing would be a ridiculous reason to use C++, a hugely different language from Java or C#, instead. oh and pretty funny to call C# "fucking garbage" when, after accounting for minor syntactic differences, C# is essentially a superset of Java. that would make Java garbage at best

you're fanatically opposed to commitment
that's why you love multi paradigm

Name one good programmer that has come out of the UK.

What is a "Good programmer"? I would like to name myself, but I haven't even been to that shithole. My ancestors have though.

didn't read but

>C# is essentially a superset of Java
java is a simplified C++. the whole point is that it's simple and easy to use in large teams. C# just misses this entirely

>C# is essentially a superset of Java
I see, so every valid J*va program is also a valid C* program?

>C# just misses this entirely
Have you ever used C#?
It's literally Java 2.0 but fixes every single shitty part of what makes Java awful. It simplifies and unifies all the awful parts of Java that are half-baked but ultimate end-goal designs, and then it gives you arguably the best SQL interface available.
C# is downright god-tier, its main problems are speed and memory usage.

>meme

It's true though.
Did I say it was a GOOD language?
I don't recall saying any such thing.

@60493547
>C# is downright god-tier
What the fuck do you think you're doing you fucking snake oil salesman?
Get the fuck off of this imageboard right fucking now. You're like the slut that made bad life decisions and so she tries to drag other girls down to her level.

t. poo in loo microshaft evangelist (shill)

Just go to cripplechan, grandpa. You're the one who doesn't belong here.

Fuck everyone who says Visual C++ or C# are good languages.
Also, fuck everyone who got pissed off at me for recommending them as languages that can get you jobs.

>Fuck everyone who says POOlangs are good languages.
You can generalize this even more.

> languages
> Visual C++
No, fuck you. Stop posting.

poo

>Visual C++
That shit is so tainted by MS extensions that it shouldn't qualify for C++ in the first place.

the cancer that is killing /dpt/

Its an incredibly easy to use language faggot

>cancer

you must be new

Wrong. The OOP principles are god tier. You're right about there being no good implementations of them though.

>Visual C++, C#
Proprietary. Therefore garbage. They do get you jobs though.
>C++
Bloated frankenstein language
>Java
Slow
>C with ADTs
Too much hassle
>Python
REALLY slow
>Ruby
ALSO really slow
>Everything else
slooooow

No. Fuck you.
agree

>The OOP principles are god tier
A case of "works on paper but is absolute garbage is practice"

OOPmunism has never been tried

How does it feel knowing you'll never be satisfied?

all i want is a c++ that's actually as good as it feels to use it :(

>java is a simplified C++
this is a massive oversimplification

>the whole point is that it's simple and easy to use in large teams
in the average context, C# is very similar to (and just as easy to use as) Java. the difference is that should you find yourself in a position where you need more control, you aren't shit out of luck

i said "essentially", and after accounting for syntactic analogues. look up the differences between Java and C#. what you'll find is a list of features C# has which Java doesn't

>The OOP principles are god tier
Only if you mean some kind of indian POO-god.
>You're right about there being no good implementations of them though.
Yeah, no language is actually shitty enough to properly implement POO. Nor do I think such a language is even possible.

The rest of your post is redundant. Any POOlang is by definition garbage, the specifics aren't even worth mentioning.

What sort of retarded mind would one need to have to think that POO or c*mmunism """"work on paper""""?

So, I'm trying to complete a challenge on Rosalind where I write a function that simulates the fibonacci sequence but with the modification that the rabbits die after m turns (i.e. a generalization of the Padovan sequence). I have a code that works but the problem is that it's too slow.

I'm a total noob when it comes to programming. I simplified the code to the best of my abilities, but it still takes several minutes to simulate more than 50 turns and lifespans higher than 12, and the challenges are timed.

Can I solve this by using a better computer, or is it strictly a code issue? The computer (our lab computer) has 4GB of RAM and an Intel 3.17 GHz processor.

The code is:

def fib(n):
if n == 1:
return 1
elif n == 2:
return 1
else:
return fib(n-1) + fib(n-2)

def fibd(n, m):
if n < (m+2) and m > 3:
return fib(n)
elif n < (m+1) and m == 3:
return fib(n)
elif n >= (m+1) and m==3:
return fibd(n-2, m) + fibd(n-3, m)
elif n >= (m+2) and m > 3:
return sum(map(fibd, [n-(m+x) for x in (range(-(m-2), 2))], [m]*m))

>What sort of retarded mind would one need to have to think that ... c*mmunism """"work[s] on paper""""?
>he doesn't believe in the perfect classless state at the end of history
Opinion discarded.

>What sort of retarded mind would one need to have to think that POO or c*mmunism """"work on paper""""?
The kind you have once you reach the bottom of your whiskey bottle

@60493689
"""People""" seriously believe this? I knew on an intellectual level that some people did because of how large their "userbase" was at some point, but I have never seen them "in the wild," as it were.

>/dpt/
>flip it upside down
>/qbt/
>qute butts of traps

Man, I miss being a horny teenager.

/dpt/ is full of stupid kids no need to take their opinions seriously

Buy some sex toys, the "your delivery is ready for pickup" message alone will make you diamonds.

I'm better at programming when I'm drunk than y'all are when you're sober.

did you just assume my inebriation?

dild

>simulates the fibonacci sequence but with the modification that the rabbits die after m turns

What is a rabbit in the context of the fibonacci sequence? What does it mean for said rabbit to die?

I was thinking more in the line of a tenga, but if bumfun is your thing, then have at it.

my thing is shitpost
hence the absence of letter o

I count 3 in that post

fcuk

kotlin

y/n/m/cyrtq?

:%s/kotlin/suck a nigger dick/g

What is the best imperative language created up to this point and why is it the best?

the o in (You) doesn't count

>shitpost
> of
>letter o

C++ because reasons

>shitpost of letter o
summary of this thread so far

no o in unless you count the ones in Anonymous and the (You)

This is true, but I was referring to

Man, this thread went full-retard way to quickly