What the fuck do I do?

I was moving my PC this morning and accidentally banged it against a wall, which knocked the heatsink out of the motherboard. When I tried to place it back in I saw that the clips to lock it in place(pic related) were bent out of shape and will no longer lock in place. Does have any kind of solution for this?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.co.uk/d/Computers-Accessories/Akasa-AK-CC7118HP01-Profile-Intel-Cooler/B005O6518Q
aliexpress.com/popular/cpu-fan-clips.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It is time to get an aftermarket heat-sink, also for the love of cheezus, dust that PC

Yer fucked. Buy a new heatsink.

Wow have you ever had a useful thought in your fucking head you dumb monkey

Use some fucking pliers to push them back into place and grip them to make them go back to their original shape

Jesus Christ have you never had to fix anything, ever?

They will snap off. That shit is the cheapest plastic on earth.

Install Gentoo.

Intel user actually using stock cooler O:

it's not that simple you fucking retard, also they look completely broken

...what? They aren't going to snap off because you force the bits back into THEIR ORIGINAL SHAPE

try zip ties

>breaks CPU cooler while moving pc
>calls someone else a retard
Hello pot I'm kettle

This is what zip ties were invented for. Get 4or so and it'll work fine. Just be creative with them

OP here, I'm not gonna argue that I'm retarded but that wasn't even me that call that guy retarded.

Since procs and motherboards are disposable items if I have desktop with a broken cooler mount I mix a rather large gob of epoxy then place in a ring around the CPU socket then hold the cooler against the processor with whatever weight is handy and let cure. (Replace thermal paste first of course.) It's all throwaway parts so there's no reason not to so long as you get firm contact between heatsink and proc. I've run them for years that way with no failures. Treat shit with contempt. A PC is only good for a few years anyway and by the time most people "upgrade" the mobo/proc/RAM are obsolete.

>intel cooler mount pins
>ebay
>$5

I'm not OP you retard

Well fuck you "on OP", because you don't know shit. That's how I fixed my 1155 cooler when the pins split after installing in a new motherboard incorrectly. It's not very hard. It's fucking plastic. It's malable and flexible, the exact opposite of brittle.

Lord have fucking mercy

id see if i can pull the 4 rods out of the heatsink mount and see i could fit a long bolt that also passes through the motherboard. Get 4 nylon washers and 4 nuts.

just bend them back, they wount snap off -.-

Are you retarded? Sandy fucking Bridge i7s are still competitive today. Processors last WAY longer than they used to.

Get the plastic clips out and fit the heatsink into the holes by old bolts and nuts. Use some pads (those circular inbetween thingies, dunno how to call them in english). Nuts go on the top of the mobo so that the excess length of the bolt doesn't colide with case.

This works like a charm for Intel stock coolers, you can even attach 775 sinks on LGA 1155/6/0/1. Just take care, the metal holder has large holes, you need to have wide enough nuts/pads

Eh, not old bolts, long bolts.
I see that your heatsink has different contruction that the old 775 I dealt with recently, but as long as you can clear the holes in the plastic holder, nuts and bolts should still work.

stock intel heatsinks trigger me please delete this my fingers hurt just thinking about trying to seat one of those fucking things properly

any reason not to if one simply doesn't overclock?

noise

This. I'm still using the stock cooler and it's by far the loudest part of my PC. I usually let it run at lower RPM when I'm not doing anything demanding. The next spare 30€ or so will go into an aftermarket cooler.

You MUST replace the thermal paste in addition to whatever else you do. Once it's been pulled apart and dried out, it will not reflow and you'll have horrible temps

they're washers in English

Don't use the stock intel cooler. The pins/clamps on it are known to be shit.

Known since lga 775 kek the pentium ht and d, every time i try to repaste single pin could rekt by itself.

Nah, that white plastic is flexible as shit. You gucci senpai

Do this
/thread

>implying you didn't bend them while attaching it
faggot

What the fuck why would you do that

Just buy new pins or new cooler.
Don't do what the idiots suggest by straightening it back up and putting it back. It's completely fucked up by now and it won't hold properly.

clean your goddamn PC

OP here,So it turns out a friend of mine had this lying around in its packaging:
amazon.co.uk/d/Computers-Accessories/Akasa-AK-CC7118HP01-Profile-Intel-Cooler/B005O6518Q

Would this be cool for by the time being or should I invest in a better heatsink? Also, I cleaned the inside, didn't realize it was that was so dusty lmao

Hit up ebay for a cooler master T2 and a can of dust remover
clean that shit
upgrade your cooler slightly
s'all good

I have fixed many of these in the field, with zip ties.

You need to remove the stock mounting pins.

You'll need zipties small enough to fit through the holes on the motherboard, but big enough so that the head of the ziptie will not fit.

Push the zipties through the holes in the back of the motherboard, and through the holes in the heatsink mounts.

Cut the heads off of more zipties, and use them on the ties that are sticking up through the heatsink mounts to tighten them down. Tighten them down diagnally, a bit at a time, kind of like how you would put a wheel on a car.

I made this in paint to give you an idea.

Don't use the shitty pack in heatsinks. They always do this. Buy a real heatsink. This one is fucked. If it doesn't break it fries your CPU.

Thanks. i recognize the word actually, but really, even with a really god general language, the volcabulary of engineering/construction items is fucking hard.

It makes reading articles about interesting stuff like railroad bridge collapses so hard!

>slight bang totally dislodges the heatsink
learn to build a pc, shitter.
then learn to walk without looking at the floor like an autistic subhuman.

*really good general language grasp (or something like that)

It will probably be as good as the stock one. Just try it out and check the temps yourself. You don’t really need a huge coolers that will sag the board unless you overclock anyway, especially if the case provides good airflow.

how do you manage to accumulate this much dust

The product page on Akasa's web (refused by spam detection, fuck you 4chin) says it supposedly was targetted at 73W CPUs. Dunno what you have and how good your airflow is. It might still handle 95W maybe, I (barely) cool i7-2600K (stock) with alu-only stock heatsink from an 84W Prescott Celeron.

who cares? what'd that pc cost you, like $100? buy a new one off ebay.

Cable ties.
Being a lazy fuck I still have my heatsink kept in place by 4 cable ties, 3 years after I tried it as a "temporary" solution. Haven't had any problems whatsoever.

At least two of the tabs are already completely broken off.

Try not having autism next time, so you don't sperg out and throw CPU coolers around.

install gentoo

just pop the mounting clips completely out and use some zip ties , the lock goes under the mobo cut off the tail and inset on into the heatsink into the lock going through mobo. tighten them adjacently

75 cents a piece

aliexpress.com/popular/cpu-fan-clips.html

>tabs bent outward
>heatsink fell off from single physical shock

It's pretty easy to see what happened.

OP was a retard and didn't make sure the tabs were actually going through the holes in the motherboard. Instead the tabs got caught on the edges of the holes and OP just kept pushing it onto the cpu, bending and breaking the tabs. I'd almost be willing to bet he even had the rods pushed in before even getting it in place.

In the end, the heatsink was only being held on by the thermal paste the whole time and being banged against the wall was all it took to break the bond.

Its pretty clear already that OP is a retard.