What do you consider a rite of passage in order to become a real programmer?

What do you consider a rite of passage in order to become a real programmer?

Not commenting any of your code, going back and trying to fix/change shit and not understanding any of it.

>What do you consider a rite of passage in order to become a real [insert profession here]?
Making money off it.

Being a kissless virgin your whole life.

Bonus point: Going back over code in a project, thinking "Who wrote this, I can't remember when I've seen code this shitty", and then checking and finding out you wrote it.

this, only people that are "real (insert profession)" would focus only on thier job, none everything else

Adding features to your simple, embedded scripting language until it becomes an abomination.

making your own language, even if it's a toy one

Write your own kernel in asm.

getting rid of windows and installing a real OS

Know C, Python and Haskell.

If you can write useful code for yourself without some kind of tutorial then you are a real programmer!

Realizing that Arch Linux is the superior OS.

Writing a bubble sort from memory

that is cute girl what is his name? vladimir the impaler?

True programmer=make your own compiller.
I made 12 of them already by copy pasting what i found on google in-to notepad+++++

non-retadedly traversing a singly linked list in reverse

Using double pointers?

i never comment, but i always understand it when i go back

she (male) is felix/ferris argyle

best is to reverse the links

How big is your average program you've written though? 15,000+ lines and you still understand it?

Running over CIA niggers.

activated borg implant in the head

almost right.
I'd say: when someone else starts making [more] money thanks to your program

Pulling an all-nighter on friday night running code through gdb, figuring when the bug is at 5 AM, facepalming after seeing all the random crashes were from a single typo, drinking a glass of whiskey and going home.

This. When you write bad code and realize that you will have to read it in the future, you take more precaution to make it readable in the future

Also, spending an obscene amount of time looking for a bug in one place of your code, meticulously going over every line, every operation, every bit of punctuation until you're at the brink of sanity, only to realize that the problem is somewhere unrelated entirely.

Almost right. I'd say covering the costs of a pregnant missus thanks to your codefu

>I can come back to my fizzbuzz and i understand it without comments

Chopping off your own dick and becoming the legendary super programmer.

>I can come back to my fizzbuzz and not understand it without comments

u mad, i write thousands of lines of nodejs spaghetti code with no comments and I can still understand what I did when I come back to it

>Trying this hard

Passing Calculus 101