Throwing away old tech given to you as a gift

Do you ever feel apprehensive about throwing away tech you've gotten as a gift?
Like I have this Canon S50 that doesn't even show up in windows any more and has been replaced since a few years back, but it was given to me as a graduation gift in 2003, feels bad to throw it away but I guess the real gift was all the pictures I took with it?

>throw it away
>disposable culture

Why the fuck would you throw a perfectly good camera in the trash? Give it to someone, asshole.

Find a new use for it. They offered water-proof cases for them. Ebay one if they're cheap enough and have a camera to take interesting underwater pictures with. The camera had the ability to be controlled from a PC over USB. Get a virtual Windows XP setup spun up, and play around with ID software. Maybe try to copy tags you've seen at Office Buildings or Schools for shits and giggles.

Re-Gift it.
Take it apart and use it for a project

Feels bad man, I don't really like getting gift in general, but the feels when its a cheap tech gadget that I will probably only use once then sit in my draw for years.

Canon P+S can run custom firmware, CHDK.
Your's might support it, its neat if you are into timelapse.

I like the waterproof idea, been thinking about regifting too but all my nieces and nephews are spolied and dpmn't need tech from 2003 (they have their ipads)

But on the general topic, often tech as a gift is really bad because what you really want is hella expensive, but I was really lucky my dad worked in TV and asked some knowledgeable people and got a really good consumer product for its time.

Nigga i have the same camera, unfortunately mine is broken.
Why throw It away? The sensor and the lenses are pretty good and It probably takes better photos than your phone.

I have a Palm Tungsten I can't bring myself to throw away

Ignore the hippies/sjw/gnumales and just throw that piece of old shit in the trash.

depends.
Often, I find new uses for things.
The old laptop becomes my new server,
The old camera becomes my new surveillance system etc.
At some point you have to throw things away though, otherwise you just clutter your house with stuff.
Some friends of mine have just gotten a flatscreen tv this year because the old tv couldn't receive signals since January when they turned off the analog signals in local area.
The old TV still worked fine and the picture and sound quality was pretty good.
They just "sold" it for free to someone who needed an old tv (don't know who wanted a 50 year old tv, but good for them I guess).

I don't throw away working technology.

Someone just donated me a Sony Vivaz Pro, unfortunately its locked. "0000" doesn't work. I tried to factory reset with the old Sony Companion software but it requires USB mode.

How do I unlock this thing? Its actually an upgrade from my Sony K800i if it would just work.

I would never use a shitty camera like that at this point.

But I think it's a perfectly fine thing to do to present it to some kid or family member who wants it.

It's still an upgrade over some smartphone cameras, not everyone gets the newest samsung or iphone high end device from mom and dad.

>Shitty
This camera probably makes better pictures than my 'camera'. My K800 is still decent when you consider that is a phone cam from 2006, but only 3.2 MP.

If someone donated me OPs camera I would take it. I don't own a smartphone at all.

I was just thinking about getting this camera at a fleamarket for $21. Must be stolen, everybody in my country is a hoarder, they'd try to sell you their used stuff almost as if it were new.

I also can find an even shittier camera somehow. Like a $10 chinese "spy pen" camera or something.

But that's not the point, I'm just comparing it to cameras a hobbyist could easily buy and spend my time with today, like pic related. And that one is not even halfway to how good normal DSLR / MILC can get.

A smartphone would be optimal for me. I got this device but cannot use it. I tried a lot of codes.

This thing is old as fuck but it could serve me well for MP3 and camera. How do I unlock this shit? Can I flash a fresh ROM with SETOOL (I have a Windows Vista PC that runs Setool and would only need a matching ROM)

Can't help you with that.

And honestly, for even just a snapshots - get a current high-end phone, the respective sensors got a lot better from ... was that 7 years ago?

You still certainly have enough of a handicap vs. more hobbyist friendly MILC/DSLR imaging technology even if you have a modern smartphone.

>this Canon S50 that doesn't even show up in windows any more

I have the older version, the S40 and it works perfectly with Windows. You just need a card reader for the card.

>K800
this camera was indeed decent. I don't believe any phone, especially mentioned vivaz, ever got such huge lens.

The lens is gigantic and it has a real flash too, but it had a lot of water damage and heavy outdoor usage. Pictures often look blurry, defocus or will have artifacts like in this one.

The K800 can also only record 176x144 videos. I looked if there is a software that could at least record in 640x480 but it doesn't seem so.

It is still possible to use internet on it, Opera Mini helps a lot, but logins and Javascript don't work. You can still post on Sup Forums and browse. Unfortunately you can't take screenshots.

I use a 8 GB memory stick (officially supports only 2) which needs 10-12h to fill it with files completely, audio tracks often need 4 seconds until they load. I'm not sure if it became slower over the time. I had a Z2 until 2015 which quickly broke, this phone never breaks.

This is how modern society would collapse. Resource limit would eventually catch up with disposable culture.

I don't feel bad about throwing away stuff that I got as a gift, but I feel bad about throwing away electronics. I just sort of hoard them away until I need to scavenge some parts from them if I can. Otherwise, I just put them in a drawer just in case the day that I need it comes. I also give stuff away, like my iPod Shuffle that I got for Christmas back in 2009.

SE and Nokia always had decent cameras. I liked the SE designs more until the Nokia N8 came out.

objectively the best camera in the WORLD. it will be burried with me. even my children won't inherit it after my death!

I have a collection of them

i got 3. but no black. and thats disappointing