/sqt/ stupid questions thread

/sqt/ stupid questions thread

Post your dumbass questions
Google it first.

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/KkiJScQD
pcpartpicker.com/list/DZwCPs
docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/io/File.html#File(java.lang.String)
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Does it matter if a resistor's (or potentiometer's) wattage value is way over-rated for the task?

I'm building a simple passive volume mixer and I have two choices of potentiometer: one is rated for 0.2W and the other is rated for 12W. (Both are 10K ohm Stereo Logarithmic potentiometers.)
I was wondering if it being massively over rated in the wattage department would matter? Thanks.

>waiting 10 hours for a response.
I was hoping to buy these now which is why I came here. If you don't know the answer don't respond.

i oc'd my monitor to 90 hz and i can tell it's smoother because i compared it with my second monitor which is at 60hz.
I have a dvi-d to hdmi 1.3 cable on my 90hz monitor(1080p).
What I'm wondering is, can this cable actually support 90hz at 1080p? I know i can tell the difference but I'm not sure if I am feeling 90hz at its full potential.

What is this cable? Is it supercharged 8 pin from 3x 8 pin or what?

HDMI 1.3 can support 1080p 90hz fine.
DVI-D can only support that if it's dual link (i.e, double the data rate of standard DVI-D), check the specifications of your video card to see if it's dual link or not.

explorer.exe tabs me out of my games. Why does it do that and how can I stop it?

probably the opposite of what you said, a cable that splits one 8-pin into 3. It's male on the single end because it's designed for modular power supplies I'd guess.

Uh, why does firefox hate youtube's interface? It lags so much when pulling up UI elements. I'd make the complete transition to firefox again if I could get this right.

Works for me using ublock and forcing flash player with latest ESR, try disabling hardware acceleration?

Is Sup Forums refreshing pages for anyone else when hitting the Back button? It's not even caching 1 page back, like on Sup Forums

Found a Thinkpad T61p for €100:

4GB RAM
160GB Hard Drive (tested: 0 Badblocks)
New battery

How low should get it for? €50?

I only need it as a typewriter (Libreoffice, Google Docs and Firefox), nothing fancy. I'd probably put in a SSD as well.

processor?
100 is fine

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.00GHz

Asking from previous thread

that seems fine.
btw I got some sick digits on that last post.

I have a raspberrypi in my network.

I set it as static ip and connect via ethernet directly to my router.

For a time this was good.

All of a sudden I can't connect anymore.

I still get assigned my desired static ip but i cannot ping the gateway.
I also tested setting my dhcp on the ethernet, but it assigned me a 162.x.x.x. address meaning I can't even connect to the 192.168.x.x network.

I tried everything, disable dhcp, using network interfaces. I use raspbian.

PLease help

I tried everything. I'm on an Elitebook 8460p and the chrome side shows everything fine and dandy but ff just lags and stutters its way through

How the fuck do I find an internship for code monkeying without a shiny degree or college to get it through

What is this new Windows 10, Visual Studio shit?

What's a good screen-sharing program?

Is it worth bothering with ICC profiles?

From the last thread.

At least for resistor, it shouldn't. It's basically just a piece of wire, the wattage is just so you don't accidentally melt it or something. No idea about potentiometers.

Today my phone had a soft brick.
in recovery i made a full nandroid backup.
after a fresh install i want to restore some apps data.
i go into /root/data/data but after i copy all the files from my backup the app stop working.
i saw an old backup of titanium backup and i don't get what i'm missing

thanks

Is 16 gigs of RAM still good enough or is it RAMlet status now?

Enough for what? Even 4 gigs is plenty if all you do is shitpost, unless you're stupid enough to use wangblows.

I want to have a simple setup like this to connect a PC and PS4 via ethernet at the same time.

I got a splitter and it works when it goes like Modem > Splitter > Either PC or PS4 but if I try to connect both, it doesn't work.

Any ideas? Maybe this isn't just "plug and play" as I thought.

A splitter as in it just splits the signal to each device? Because yeah, that's not going to work. You can't have more than one device per cable, ethernet just isn't designed for that.

The screen disconnect randomly. The sound sometimes go off too. I uninstall the gpu driver and the same. I downgrade the driver version and the same. I disconnect the gpu and use it directly from mobo and works. What are my options now? How could I check what is wrong with the gpu (amd r7 260x)

PD: In screen options are connected 2 monitors (which I only have one). The other one does not let me change any settings and enter their properties either. Pls I need help

Any way to do this without having to roll another cable from the modem?

A router.

Is there a way to retrieve the memory from a bricked smartphone. Specifically a HTC M8. I dropped it and the battery seems to have disconnected as the phone won't power up, but connecting the charger displays the charge screen as normal, just nothing is charged. Connecting the USB to my PC doesn't work as the device is not recognised.

Fuck, router I mean.

I guess there's no other option, I could try a way to enhance the wifi signal since it is very weak on that room and I can use it on the PS4.

This RAMlet thing is a joke user
8 gigs is more than enough

You could also try one of those powerline ethernet things.

it's fine
t. bs in ee

nope.
just take another cable and zip tie the two together until you want them to split to save space

what's the best way to convert flac files to opus where I can control things like bit rate on Windows or Linux? (I have access to both)

should I put Linux on my resume if I set up my own Arch configuration and am applying to basic IT jobs? I wouldn't say im *nix sysadmin hacker man but I know how to use the CLI.

Just trying to figure out what to put on my resume since I have really little "real world" experience and no internships

ffmpeg, on both platforms

It's been four years. My i5 3.4 needs a what, new thermal paste or and new CPU? Also when do you ever need to change out a motherboard?

Thank you for understanding.

My PC had motherboard issues recently, and after I got it repaired, whenever I try to move big files from my main hard drive to the secondary, the secondary one disconnects/stops existing. (The first time, my main hard drive disconnected too.)
I've managed to work around it by shutting it down and pushing in the cables connecting them to the motherboard, but can I do that without shutting it down too, or will it be damaged?

Depends entirely on what's the problem you're trying to solve, dude.

Is a wireless PCIe card better than a usb one? I'm not really concerned about portability but the back of my tower faces a wall that's between it and the router. Asking since my current card seems to have crapped out on me and can't pick up any wireless connections.

Also, is it safe to leave the PC running when that happens (since the main hard drive is still working), or is there any risk of damage to the secondary one?

My GPU died without a second warning so I'm just scared, It doesn't look like anything was wrong with it. First my OS died then as soon as I updated my GPU driver in safe mode it died.

What I'm asking is a manual or an faq when tackling this problem.

done thx anyway

Sup Forums can help me to install gcc/g++ (7.1.0) on Linux (debian) with the tar.bz2?

I try like this :
tar -xjf gcc-7.1.0.tar.bz2
cd gcc-7.1.0
mkdir objdir
cd objdir
../configure --enable-languages=c,c++ --enable-multilib
make

After the make :

configure: error: in `/home/bip/Desktop/Data/Programs/gcc-7.1.0/objdir/gcc':
configure: error: C++ preprocessor "/lib/cpp" fails sanity check
See `config.log' for more details.
Makefile:4277: recipe for target 'configure-stage1-gcc' failed
make[2]: *** [configure-stage1-gcc] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/bip/Desktop/Data/Programs/gcc-7.1.0/objdir'
Makefile:22759: recipe for target 'stage1-bubble' failed
make[1]: *** [stage1-bubble] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/bip/Desktop/Data/Programs/gcc-7.1.0/objdir'
Makefile:933: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2

How can I make internet on Ubuntu faster?
On Ubuntu my speed is 0.29 Mbps, but on Windows my speed is 1.88 Mbps.
(both tests ran on the same machine)

>See `config.log' for more details.

Can you expand the hardware of a development board like raspi? Is there a name for that? If I wanna add an eGPU, how do?

Yes, this is the contains of config.log
pastebin.com/KkiJScQD

Can you overclock a katana

Why does notifications on my phone not work sometimes? I can use my phone and automatically update an app to check for updates but it shows 0 updates. Then in a few minutes I will receive 30+ updates from the last hour or so, just popping up at the same time.

Just finished building a new pc : pcpartpicker.com/list/DZwCPs
but after installing windows 10 and a few drivers on the motherboard's website, I start to constantly get BSOD "Stop Code: CACHE MANGER - what failed: NTFS.sys" when I install programs or open files. Can anyone help?

Should I overclock a SuperClocked GTX 1050ti?
I heard overclocking decreases the card's lifetime.

Please respond

I'm partitioning my 240 gb ssd. I have another 750gb hdd for storage of most things; how much do i need for ubuntu? only like 20-30gb on the ssd to be comfortable right? how much free space should windows 10 always have so it doesnt slow down?

Games I emulated with Wine ran better on Ubuntu; I made a recent switch to Manjaro for kicks and I noticed they don't perform as well. Any particular reason? I don't think I'm using a different driver or anything

public static ArrayList readRecords(String fName)
This method is mean to read a txt file which is given by fName, but how is that possible when it is of type String?
The method apparently must read the file and return null if an IOException occurs, but again, I don't know how you're meant to pass a file to a String parameter?

>but how is that possible when it is of type String?

The string is the file path or name.

So you need to figure out "How do I read a file from a path in java?" and "how do I do things with exceptions in java?"

Or more importantly,
"What is a java exception", and so on.

When learning to program stuff, break it into the smallest parts and simply look up and learn how to do those parts.

If this is from a course or something, then there may be more specific details or restrictions that you should pay heed to. (i.e. "Don't use the File class")

Google keeps giving me the wrong answers, like people wanting to mix and match RAM in the same channel. I have two matching 4GB DDR3 RAM sticks in one channel and want to upgrade to 16 GB now, is there any harm at all in getting two matching 4 GB sticks that don't match the ones of the other channel? The RAM is still available, but it's about ten bucks more expensive than others.

I downloaded a fix for a game and this file is acting weird as fuck
>every time I try and move it from anywhere but my desktop explorer.exe crashes
>every time I right click it explorer.exe crashes
>every time I try and rename it explorer.exe crashes
>said fuck it and decided to delete it
>it gets stuck on this for 15 minutes so far
How the fuck do I get rid of this fucking thing?

No. it will just run at the lowest speed between the sticks unless you force it otherwise.

docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/io/File.html#File(java.lang.String)

You can use that string to create a File object.

Shut down the computer, then boot from a live-USB?

I'm using Hex Editor Neo and I can't find the button or window to change file size. Where is it?

What happens when you delete from the cli?

Anywho, you could always just boot into another OS to delete it if Windows is being pissy. I did that for some files that Windows 7 just couldn't deal with.

Though the last time something like that happened to me, it was a HDD issue.

Try deleting it from command line. If you have bash for windows installed then you can try that as well.

Oh right, my RAM is 2133 MHz and these cheaper ones are 1600. It probably doesn't even matter for performance, but fuck it, I'll just buy the same ones so it's 2133 MHz.

linux live cd
and delete it via that
or try safe mode

bottom 0.01%?

If I'm reading your question correctly you really want a switch or hub. Craigslist one for $10.

Is there a way to get an actual thumbnail for webms? I'm tired of opening them to confirm that it's the one I want.

This is a little time sensitive so if anyone knows I'd really appreciate it. The help documentation just tells you how to use the popup window, not how to actually open it.

anyone reckoning?

Yeah I didn't read the parameter name...
Thanks.

Icaros

I was dual booting Windows 7 and Debian from the same drive and for no discernible reason I can no longer access GRUB. Now when I turn on my PC it tries to boot from network and just sits there. When I interrupt it and select my drive nothing happens. I have neither Debian nor Windows 7 installation media. What can I do?

How to store private PGP keys when I need to regularly use it for decryption?

I see people saying how they split it in multiple parts, encrypt each part separately and print it on a QR code and store each printed QR code in a different physical location or whatever.

Obviously this is not practical when you need to use the key to decrypt emails on a regular basis.
So, how do I keep the private key relatively safe, yet handy for use?

>Icaros
Thanks, that really helps a lot.

Sounds like the drive might be dead. Not much you can do without either booting from another source or trying it in a different computer.

so I have an instance of rtorrent running and I want to access that same instance through rutorrent. How do I do that? Do I just type in 127.0.0.1/rtorrent, or am I doing something wrong? Because that doesn't work.

Since no one came with an answer, try killing it (taskkill /f /im explorer.exe)
To launch it again use Ctrl Shift Esc to open Task Manager > File > Run new task > explorer

(its not a workaround but)

what's the best windows for pirating? I want something that can run gaymes and let me overclock my video cards that is free but also that can get updated and not get ransomwared and whatnot.

I'll have the flying pigs bring you an install disc.

All of these things have nothing to do with each other

which is it?

I had a windows 7 or 8 educational liscence but I don't know if it still works, and I don't want that windows 10 telemetry.

Aren't there "activation tools" for windows 7 or something?

How the fuck do I fix the MMS on my phone. I can't send photos or even view certain people on my list. It's been like this for a year.

Are there any safe/secure places to download WinRAR? I'm really paranoid about getting viruses and I don't like the Windows App store

www.win-rar.com/download.html

7-zip.org

Anybody know what the fuck happened here?

I figured it was Daisy chained but there is only one cat 5e cable coming in... Why the fuck would someone do this?

apt-get install rar unrar
brew install rar unrar
yum something or other

maybe it got cut and they had no other tools on-hand to fix it.

>2017
>FailRar

I suspect I have a problem with my ram, the symptoms of this problem is any and all programs crashing. The most frustrating and most common instance is games, but even shit like chrome tabs will crash and become unresponsive. I also get bluescreens from time to time (maybe once a week) and the error that the bluescreen shows is something about memory management.

I guess my question is, is there any way to actually diagnose my memory besides the built in windows program? That turns up clean every time but there's clearly something fucked up. The problem is I upgraded to 16gb only 7 months ago, so it could even be my motherboard unless the sticks were defective.

memtest

How can pajeets and chinks sell office keys for 15 bucks on sites like kinguin?
Microsoft doesn't seem to offer regional pricing for their products.