Wadup Sup Forums I came across this pocket pc when I was in highschool...

Wadup Sup Forums I came across this pocket pc when I was in highschool, traded some shit in for it at a swap or something, and it worked when I got it, but ever since the day I got it, it never turned on. Any idea what's wrong with it? Will post guts if someone can suggest that it's not totally fucked

Other urls found in this thread:

usbstyle.com/toshiba-pda-pocket-pc/toshiba-e740-e750-e755-pda-pocket-pc-usb-sync-charge-hotsync-cable/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Pls be upright

This is what I get for phoneposting.

You could try charging it.

Doesn't charge when I plug it into the cradle into my computer

No shit sherlock. It doesn't charge through USB.

b8

>It has a USB connection! It must charge through it just like my media consuming piece of shit!

If you left it unused for long the battery could get undercharged so that controller thinks it's dead and does not let charge it. In worst case this requires new controller, in best case you can leave it on chager for long and it will eventually start charging, in other case you can forcefully charge battery with external circa 3,5V power supply (chances are that there are + and - marks on battery).

Or he could just use the DC in barrel connector at the bottom.

Doesn't work when plugged into a wall either

Thanks, I'll leave it charging for a while and see what it does.

usbstyle.com/toshiba-pda-pocket-pc/toshiba-e740-e750-e755-pda-pocket-pc-usb-sync-charge-hotsync-cable/

It won't help bypass battery controller protection.

IT
DOESN'T
CHARGE
THROUGH
USB
Exactly. The cable you don't have. You have the sync cradle.
The sync cradle doesn't even get power through to the unit.

I'm fucking retarded. Now I know what you're saying. Sorry for striking a nerve

Find a manual online and see what's the packaging for it and charging instructions. It's totally possible that it does not charge from USB.

Thank fucking God.
To charge it with the cradle, you need to plug a charger into the barrel jack in the cradle, too. It doesn't get power from USB because USB power was limited to something ridiculous like 150mA when this thing came out.

or you know, you could just change the battery out for a new one.

Are there any screws to open it up?

Well then if doesn't work when plugged in to the wall through the DC jack, there's a good chance it's totally fucked. Your best bet is probably to open it up.

I haven't tried the DC Jack, only cradle -> USB brick -> outlet like the phoneposter I am, so that's probably why. Very easy to open, just 4 screws on the back.

Will post results if this thing works + the thread is still alive

Update: nothing, maybe it's because I used a PSP charger but it was the only one that fit.

NEVERMIND IT WORKED, THANKS Sup Forums

You're welcome m8. Actually, that PSP charger is a perfect match. 5V at a decent amount of current and center positive.

You might've gotten lucky this time, but it's generally a completely terrible idea to try to power things with random chargers from different devices. Back before everything used USB, there really wasn't any sort of real standard for charging devices, different things could have completely different voltage/current requirements despite using the same sort of generic barrel connector. You could easily fry something by plugging it into random shit. It's safe to do if you know that the polarity & voltage are correct and the charger sufficient current though, obviously.

Shit, I had no idea. Got very lucky then. What's the next step? Throwing NetBSD onto it?

You should first unplug it and try to find some spec sheet/manual which mentions its charging requirements. Could very well be 5V (I have a PDA which takes 5V too) and I doubt it would take anything less than that, but you should confirm it just to be safe. If anything feels like it's getting too hot (PDA or charger), definitely unplug it.

After that I doubt you'll be able to find any OS for it other than the Windows which came with it. Maybe some newer version, but not something completely different. There's probably not much real use for a PDA these days, everything has become so grossly bloated that it probably can't do much at all, even if it's one of the later (and fastest) models. I dug up my old PDA a few months back and tried it out, it couldn't even connect to my WiFi because it doesn't support WPA2 and it's one of the later models. Older ones may not even have WiFi built-in at all. You can fuck around with it and maybe try some games/programs if you can still scrape any off of the modern web, or find your own use for it and write a program. I played around with mine and development was surprisingly easy and painless, if you can program that is.

yep, it's 5V. I'm going to try to write my own stuff, see if I can actually get something to work for the fun of it

If it has WiFi or you can somehow get it on a network, you might do something useful with it. I wrote a resource/performance monitor for mine, it pulls data from my PC and displays it as nice, easy to see bar graphs.

That's a pretty cool idea, I think it has wifi there's definitely internet connectivity

Trying to find a manual now

I had to bust out an old router and set up a separate TKIP-secured network in order to get my PDA to connect. It wouldn't connect at all to my modern router unless I completely disabled security, which I didn't want to do. Keep that in mind if you can't get it to connect to a network. Development is actually surprisingly easy, you need Visual Studio and these things support a version of .NET, much to my surprise, so writing software for them is nearly identical to writing any winforms application, with some extra restrictions which kinda need some workarounds.

Sounds like something I'd need to do. Definitely won't connect to my current router. The only connections I can make are IrDA and "Hayes Compatible on COM1"

My old HP iPaq only does WEP.

See how long a charge lasts and just use it as an audio player if it's good enough and has a headphone jack.

Hell maybe you'll even get Winamp running on it.

Have a good look around its settings menu, I only ever used the one I own (a Fujitsu-Siemens Pocket LOOX N560) but the impression I get is that WiFi isn't really properly integrated into Windows Mobile, so each vendor might have implemented it kind of in their own way. That standard wizard for new connections isn't where you'd find WiFi, on mine it has its own separate category.

Mine's "new" enough to support barebones WPA with TKIP, though it seems to be quirky as fuck since it won't connect to my modern router even if I set it to WPA and TKIP, but it does connect to my old one with the same settings. WiFi wasn't as ubiquitous and universally supported 10 years ago as it is now. I remember I didn't even have WiFi when I was actually using it, I'd share internet access over BT from my PC if I wanted to get the PDA online.

Yeah, the shit we had to go through back in the good ol' days...

I miss the Pocket PC. Greatest thing ever. Apple fucked us over and every day I hate Steve Jobs so much for fucking us over so normies could use pocket computers.

Some things were definitely more difficult, but not all progress since then has been for the better as far as I'm concerned.

The UI design is especially noticeable. The fact that PDAs were designed from the ground up to be used with a stylus really shows, you can fit a surprising amount of shit on a small ~3" display when you don't have to design it around being operated with clumsy thumbs.

I wish devices with styluses took off, so much more handy

>The UI design is especially noticeable. The fact that PDAs were designed from the ground up to be used with a stylus really shows, you can fit a surprising amount of shit on a small ~3" display when you don't have to design it around being operated with clumsy thumbs.
It's fucking bullshit. M$ has a great opportunity to really fix Windows Mobile back in 2009, but they went full retard with the iOS clone. Someone should've been fired for that decision, and to this day they still can't reach their peak of 30 million windows mobile devices being sold a year, even in the age of android and iOS, they still sold over 20 million. Only a drooling retard could see those numbers and tell their core base and core app developers to go fuck themselves and burn everything down to build something exactly the same losing billions in the process.