/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

locusonus.org/soundmap/
innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD600.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Reposting
What would he the best in ear for riding a motorcycle. It has to be low profile cause I don't want the foam of my helmet pushing it into the depths of my brain and as close to total noise cancelation as possible so I don't go deaf from wind noise. Budget is 300 dollaridoos. Thanks

Would a Fiio X5 sound better than my LG V20 DAC/amp?

Likely no, but it depends on the implementation on both devices. The V20 already has some good hardware.

Im going to be using low impedance (35Ω) but not sure if it will make a difference. I use at least 320kbps files but am making the transfer to WAVs.

You'd probably like ER4XR.

>sss.jpg
>not a Beyer or AKG headphone for the image.

Apply yourself.

FLAC is the same quality as wav, with a smaller filesize. Impedance shouldn't matter too much, phones are usually designed for low impedance shitbuds.

>Not the build up to the snap
>SsssNAP

which should i get, the schiit stack or the nfb-11. live in burgerland btw.

>missed the opportunity to put a cheap motherboard under "crackle" and "pop"

Your only opportunity now is for failure.

Question for all you Braniacs: what caused headphone manufacturers to get rid of headbands? Why do people put up with crap they have to stick in their ears that always falls out and is uncomfortable? Any ideas?

I enjoy the snapheiser meme but lets be honest here, they really don't snap.

They will snap if you put enough pressure on the headband. Stiff and thick plastic really doesn't mix well together.

>if you put enough pressure on the headband
Any headphone can be stretched that wide, especially when its adjustments are maxed out. Got any more pics?

I'd say the NFB-11, however it costs more and will take longer to ship to you since they have to build it first. If you don't mind waiting a while, I recommend it. Better than the Schiit stack in almost every way, and the best value overall around the $500 and under range.

They also hold their value very well, if you ever need to resell it at some point. Then again, so does the Schiit stack, and that you can easily find secondhand somewhere if you want to save a bit of money. It's rare to see any used NFB-11s for sale, since the majority of people that own them don't want to get rid of it.

>Better than the Schiit stack in almost every way
elaborate

Great DAC, and powerful enough amp to drive just about any headphones on the market. However it can only be run as a dac+amp, or as a dedicated DAC/pre-amp. The amp on it can't be used by itself, so the Schiit stack has the edge on it in that regard. But if you ever wanted to buy like a tube amp or a couple powered monitors like the LSR305 in the future, you could use the NFB-11 as your DAC.

I am HD600 owner and I love this picture. Also sennfucks didn't show HD820 on munich hui end, FUCK EM.

Tell me about the power of memetubes plz. Also how they compare to SS, do you have speedball installed?

Those aren't his tubes, user. That isn't his pic either...

The publicity and reactions from the HD820 """leak""" were already enough. It gets people talking. Once that dies down after a while, they'll release some info and create a big buzz again.

There's an HD 820 now? Man, am I behind on high-end headphones.

Thoughts on pic related? Ive had mine for like 2 days now, they are pretty damn good. Hard to compare between these and my W40's, they both have their pros and cons.

Hi I'm looking for the finest USB or Jack headphones that will work on Leenucks!
I have Roccat Kave XTD Digital 5.1 but I have many issues with getting it to work [especially an equalizer] on Leenucks [Tried Ubuntu MATE and then Kubuntu but no success]

The ends stick out a bit much for me.

What's the closest cheaper competitor to LSR305's or are they the 'Speaker Endgame' under $300 like what some people say about HD 600's?

MK5.

I think to get better than those you have to buy brands like Genelec and Adam, 305s are the best poorfag monitors.

I'm not a HD600 owner and it's just a shitty forced meme.

Oregano

Are there any memes in /hpg/ that aren't forced?

Who here uses Superlux HD 668B with antlion modmic? Where do you even attach that shit?

Thanks for the recs yall. Ordered the HDH50s last night because I'm impatient and stupid, but if they dont blow me out of the water I think I'll try the Custom Studios.

I would like to tell you guys of these new headphones I got in the mail today.
Philips SHP9500S
Boy are they SHIT.
I put them on, yeah I guess they're really super fuckin comfortable, but for what purpose?
It sounds literally I'm earing nothing.
It sounds the same as if I were to use my laptops speakers, except the only difference is I have some fuckin earmuffs on. I can hear/pickup slightly more stuff than I normally would, however I can easily just wear my pair of EARPODS and pick up even more.

locusonus.org/soundmap/

Kek. Sounds as if you have a shitty source, user.

>It sounds literally I'm hearing nothing
>SHP9500S
Kek. Definitely a shitty source. How can you fuck up this badly trying to drive an SHP9500?

SHPs are pretty fucking trash dude

Send it back and get an HD558. $59 on Amazon

Is it yours then? Because that user used to post here actively. Used to.

Did you test them on all of your devices? Smartphone is often the safest bet quality wise. Can you be more precise with the description, too.

why don't you have a Sup Forums pass yet, user?

Use any other EQ than the stock Foobar one but yes, of course you can. You just need more voltage. With leakage involved more than what you would think from the FR plots alone.

>you can't directly compare a measurement from one person to another because their measuring rigs may be inherently different
Understanding how they are different is a key. All measurements are limited somehow. Having measurements from multiple sources is useful and tells a lot given decent analysis. It's certainly the most valuable source of headphone data we have and a lot more telling than the vast majority of written impressions.
>shure
Eh, you mean the SRH1840? Don't really know what's going on with it.
>perception is going to be quite different from someone who listens exclusively at 85db.
Quite. Also easy to correct for. The most important band is not altered a huge deal. Compensating for the lowered bass level is easy.
>So FR isn't much use either
It is when you understand what it tells. There's a very good correlation between certain type of response and listener preference, even when you measure and equalize the headphones using a measurement coupler that differs from your own HRTF. Knowing your own preference can handily be used for picking a good sounding pair from measurements alone.

I don't put much emphasis on the stock response. Picking a pair that doesn't have any pitfalls in design like unstable response is more valuable to me. The rest you can EQ if you have a decent one at hand.
>except for determining general tonality and highlighting large flaws.
That they are quite reliable for, bass being sort of an exception at times. Certain pairs have trouble sealing on stiff artificial ear couplers vs real ears.

h-hello /hpg/?

oh wait

low ballers keep out

It's $59 for used. New ones are $90 something, and hardly worth the price. And by this I mean, they are shit.

How are ypu enjoying your headphones, user-tachi? I really like my HD600 for its balanced and detailed sound, but I'm thinking about returning it to Bax Shop and buying a new couple of lsr305 for a slightly lower price. I don't want to separate myself from my beloved K702 and keeping two open headphones without spekaers would be overkill.

Are there any decent in-ears that won't break arbitrarily after some time? I don't mind spending a bit more (say, up to 200EUR) it seems like even expensive ones are prone to breaking.

I'm still looking for the manual for the Bottlehead Crack Speedball if anyone has it.

Trying to reverse engineer the circuit, but being retarded is turning out to be a bigger obstacle than I had initially thought.

So I just went to the store to try out some wireless headphones for when I'm traveling. Can get some of them really cheap (through special offers). Tried the Sennheiser Urbanite, glad I dodged that bullet by trying first. Horrible muddy bass and the mid is way too pronounced.

Decided to try out some cheap JBL's (E55) and to my surprise they actually sounded better than the much more expensive sennheiser. Still not great though but yeah its a wireless hp so I dont expect that much.

Then I decided to try out a Sony MDR1000X. While it sounded very good it was simply not good enough for the pricetag. Sounds about the same as my cheap ATH-M50X's for about 250 dollars more.

Are there any decent BT headphones out there that have charactaristics like the ATH-M50X? They didn't have the Sennheiser Momentum Wireless (which is a shame since I really liked to know how it compared to the shitty urbanite).

JBL's seem to come close and have nice punchy bass like the ATH-M50x's but I find them lacking in the mids and highs. Is the everest 700 Elite any good?

Recommend me some in ear headphones pls Sup Forums

Budget up to $200 (max)

Something that'll compliment having full FLAC quality. Music is mostly rock/hard rock/metal/some gametracks

Requirements: not those ones that fold over your ears, I hate those with a passion.

Are you for real? Are you even willing to accept help? Heck, do you even own the headphones, or are you just shitposting?
I've tried both and the only thing the HD 558s have over the SHP9500s are with them being more laid back/less fatiguing. Everything else is handed over to the SHPs.
Not mine.

people unrionically willing to pay 200$ for penis in year headphones

Samefag.
He doesn't own the headphones. Take a look at how he types.

>Are there any decent BT headphones out there that have charactaristics like the ATH-M50X?
No, you're sacrificing audio quality for wireless.

Yeah figured as much.

Thinking of buying a Creative E5 portable sound card.

Thing is, I sometimes use my headphones on my phone and it has some abysmal static and hiss production going on. I figured that with a BT headphone it would at least be bearable.

Maybe the E5 from Creative will help in that regars. Sure it's not "audiophile" grade but im pretty sure it wont Hiss and produce static like my phone.

Untested chink garbage this user likes to shill.

Can anyone recommend a desktop amp that provides as little latency as possible? I want to be able to track myself in real time using my HD 600 when recording. Hopefully something around the $200 range but something cheaper would be preferable.

I've never heard of latency being a problem with amps. Where did you get this idea from?

Its just a thought that came to mind since I tend to get issues with some devices when editing (my Scarlett 6i6 was my first latency free device). I wasn't sure if they would add latency to process the signal.

Got about 80 euros (flexible)
France
I don't care about the source (as a newfag I'm not sure what the difference is, from what I gather jack is the way to go though)
Full sized
Either closed or open
Comfortable enough to wear for hours at a time without it becoming a nuisance

So what do you guys think about the mike integration meme? I'm seriously sick of my shitty fucking driver having me bend over backwards to get my shitty logitech webcam mike to work with Skype and such. Would a headset with mike solve that?

Those are in "like new" condition. It just doesn't come with the retail packaging. Best Buy has them for $75 brand new as well right now. I've tried the SHP9500S and I'm not a fan of it at all, but the HD558 is good for the low price range. I don't think you can get either of them for that cheap around Europe though

Can you compare the two headphones?

What iem cases do you use?
Looking for the smallest possible.

Considering this decibullz earplug case or the niceEbag case on Amaxon.

Who's Mike?

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80 Ohm vs Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 250 Ohm

GO

dt150

Alright HD598 it is. As far as movies, live music, classical and gaymen, this is optimal sound stage.
>No no user, save money and get AD700 for better sound stage and more neutrality.
>Silly user considering AD700 get K702 for better everything.
>If you're paying that much you may as well get K712 user. Only HD800 is better and they cost twice as much.
>What a stupid use of money! Forget K712 and get glorious DT 990 for glorious sound on the cheap.
>Are you literally retarded with that nigger bass anyone even considering DT 990 should just buy HD 598

Nonsense. Get HD600 and be done with it.

/hpg/ is a funny place.

I would, but I don't own either of them anymore and wouldn't really be able to provide an unbiased comparison. I sold everything I didn't need so I could buy an HD650

And just to clear things up, I'm not that guy that was shitting on them. The SHP isn't bad, I just didn't like it that much. I guess they're okay. Maybe if they were the only headphones I owned, it would grow on me

I thought user missed something.
No worries. I'm still on poorfag Grados headphones, so i'm always looking to upgrade anyway.

>this whole post
Copypasta from 2012?

This. Endgame.

>Endgame
>No bass
At least state a price range.

They should've probably been squeezed in between K712 and AD900

If you like niggerbass, just EQ it.

No I genuinely find open back shopping a little frustrating right now

>Literally no bass
>Any higher is niggerbass territory
Lmao.
innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD600.pdf

Try to focus less on outdated garbage headphones.

can't you hear or even see the bass?
senpai, are you blind on top of deaf?

>Oh last month's very best is shit now. Let me tell you about this month's flavor

It's actually very easy.
If you can afford HD600/650 then get it, otherwise buy whatever k6 or k7 series AKG you can afford.
Or you can be retarded fuck and buy HD598. Chances are you have nothing decent to compare it to and will spend rest of your life blissfully believing you got best deal ever. Like every HD598 owner.

>Oh technological progress confuses me. Let me discuss the same headphones ad infinitum

Sorry. Let me clarify.
>No sub-bass
>Barely any bass in general
The HD 600's bass is more like texture than anything, if you know what I mean. Literally anything else is going to outright beat it in terms of bass. Nigger bass need not apply.
>Inb4 just EQ it

Depends on your source. 80 ohm if you don't have an amp

I'm scared my audio interface can't drive a pair of HD 6** well enough. It's only powered through USB

>technological progress
Do you even have any clue what you are talking about? There have been no progress in headphones technology for decades. Save for bluetooth and active noise cancelling maybe.
How clueless can you be?

ok grandpa

Not user, but what are some """modern""" headphones?

One example of newly developed audio technology that is being used in headphones. Go.

None. 99% of headphones are electrodynamic, that's what almost everyone on /hpg/ and outside uses. Then there is planar and electrostatic, rarely used and mostly expensive.
That guys is retarded troll.

By """"modern"""" I assume you mean recently release headphones that I consider good.
Examples include: Etymotic ER4-XR, Audeze Sine, MrSpeakers ÆON, Status Audio CB-1, Philips Fidelio X2

>audio technology
I could, but the fact that you're moving the goalpost means you're either dishonest or stupid. I won't bother arguing with you.

Shure SE215

The Shure SE315 are trash, literally no bass.

Westone W10

Westone UMpro 10

RHA T10

Sennheiser IE80

so which poorfag headphones are the best?
all those chinkshit headphones seem to have ear raping treble and i don't want that shit
i want a warm/maybe slightly bassy sound