Dumpster Dived Equipment

Have you ever gotten technology out of the dumpster Sup Forums?

I recently got a Pentium D machine, but I have gotten much more in the past.

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcommunity.com/id/76561189058037365/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I've bought technology with credit card numbers I've found in dumpsters if that counts

My company surpluses old PCs. I have a dual core running Mint for $50.

a monitor

vga out no HDMI, which is okay because I use an old thinkpad

Not a dumpster strictly speaking, but I did grab a T60 out of an E-waste pile at work a few years ago. It was lodged between an old beat up HP printer and some dead UPS batteries.
Still runs and I use it daily as a dedicated masturbationstation

I live in a rural town so the closest thing to tech i have ever gotten out of the trash is a mediocre but solid desk.

yeah, several old school computers, one of my monitors, and a trackball.

Thas bad

yes. my attic is jampacked with pc hardware from the local recycling center.

I've started to snatch stuff that people bring in to recycle at my shitty job at staples
Grabbed an SD card out of a phone, a car charger and an old iphone just today but haven't had much luck with anything else that I could use

I once bought an iPad in an Apple store (ishop here at Mexico)

comfy

i used to live next to a electronics recycling center. Not quite dumpster diving, but free tech is the best

Dumpster diving sucks where i live, my municipality doesn't pick up e waste anymore during bulk waste week, so people don't leave them on the side of the road, instead you have to bring it to the recycling center. Thrifting also sucks balls, kinda jealous of your walmart sized goodwills you have in the states, at least from what i could see from lgr's videos.

Instead I've put up a local ad offering to pick up old computers, so far I've gotten 11 towers and 1 laptop plus a bunch of loose components from a guy who use to repair computers, 3 big boxs mostly full of IDE HDDs and cd/dvd drives and PSUs. Most of it are old pentium 4's, however i picked up a pentium d and amd 486. Most of it was sent to a recycler i know, hoping i can pull a few favors in the future(however i don't think it's going to work out how i planned). The laptop had a 3rd gen i7 with a gtx 530m i think, it still worked however the guy who had it completely busted the hinges, they where ripped out and the plastic frame had damage, i thought of buying new hinges and jb welding it or something but i ended up just recycling it.

As for shit i found in the garbage lately, found a pile of old vinyl records.

I once found a working monitor in a thrift store dumpster because the thrift store didn't know how to test or price them. Unfortunately they got someone who knows how to test monitors so now I would have to pay for them.

Where are often good places to look in the average city? I don't know where to start looking.

I live in the US, but because my state actually has an e-cycling program the selection at goodwill is total shit.

I'd rather have an odroid

got gifted an r610 from my boss today
tech support aint so bad

interesting, I just digged up a pentium D tower as well. I am having an impossible fucking time getting this thing to recognize wifi and I want to put an HDMI port on it at some point for a shitty media player

Got a pretty nice high-end Dell badged trinitron from a shit pile in front of a recycler a while ago
Rest of my shit is mostly rescues from the back room of a big thrift store

Como esta eso relacionado a el hilo?

I got technology out of a dumpster?

>The laptop had a 3rd gen i7 with a gtx 530m i think, it still worked however the guy who had it completely busted the hinges, they where ripped out and the plastic frame had damage, i thought of buying new hinges and jb welding it or something but i ended up just recycling it.
Why the fuck wouldn't you just remove the screen and then attach it to the back of a monitor or tv? That is such a waste user

I know, mistakes where made, however when i say recycler i mean it's a repair shop that happens to recycle as well, they'll use it for spare parts, however i still think i got the shit end of the stick with the trade i did.

Old AMD Athlon. Took the case fans, DDR RAM and HDDs. HDDs were trash, ended up tossing them.
Lenovo ThinkCentre. Dual Core AMD, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 80GB SATA HDD. The PSU was dead. Replaced it and slapped in a graphics card.
A Dell LCD Monitor
A bunch of security alarm systems. (Metal Boxes with parts still inside with backup batteries, boxes of new parts, control panels, etc) Parted a few out and desolder some parts off the older systems.
A Dell XPS 350 something. PII system. Set it up as a retro system.

I use to live behind a strip mall in a duplex that was owned by the company that ran the strip mall. So our dumpster was shared with the strip mall. Had a chance at 3 LCD Displays that had every connector that you wanted on it. They where all the same but I didnt have the time to snag them before the scrappers came out at night.

A fully working small size computer from a office. It was thrown out because of a shit loads of dustbunnies in it, retards doesn't know how to clean a computer so they threw it into the trash and it's in great shape too.

>recycler i mean it's a repair shop that happens to recycle as well, they'll use it for spare parts, however i still think i got the shit end of the stick with the trade i did

It happens. My friend runs a shop and gets systems to "recycle" that he ends up fixing and selling or selling "as is, for parts" on eBay

>A fully working small size computer from a office.
That doesn't really tell us what it is, what's the specs?

Packard Bell Imedia S3720

I got this mint Packard-Bell monitor ages ago from a curbside. I've only used it once to troll Sup Forums.

>Those candles
A-are you trying to set the mood on your CRT, user?

Once a customer at the geek squad I work at brought in a Commodore Vic 20 for recycle but my asshole manager wouldn't let me take it home.
I've also seen a Sun computer still in the original box get recycled here.

Usually in an situation like that I'd turn somebody away and find a way to snatch it

Where do I go dumpster diving for tech in NYC?

>I've also seen a Sun computer still in the original box get recycled here.
What the fuck kind of person who buys a Sun system new in the box unironically goes to Geek Squad?

Not in dumpsters specifically, but I drive around every time Bulk Trash hits my neighborhood. Gotten several computers, and several printers I stripped for smooth rods and stepper motors.

The sidewalks, curbs, everywhere. NYC is fucking covered in trash

I'm still holding out for that 90's beige desktop find but I fear it is too late and I'll be cursed with yet another P4 shitbox. I just want a PII, PIII, K6 or K7 desktop to do up. Everything on ebay has been ruined by hipsters and systems worth no more than $20 go for obscene amounts.

>NYC is fucking covered in trash

Most of it is rotting food desu

stop cherry picking nigger and search for a specific model instead

I have seen more than a few monitors, keyboards, office chairs, and towers sitting on the sidewalk.

Namedrop some streets senpai. I live in spicsville and the only tech I've seen on the street recently was a huge CRT tv that was smashed to bits

Same. Although the Vic 20s are almost always plagued with some technical issue.

Yeah, I'm mostly thinking lower Manhattan. Primarily around 2nd-14th street, East Village area. Also seen some stuff in Williamsburg and Bushwick

Found this on ebay. Couldn't stop laughing at the write-up. processor speed is 400-800 mhz. I guess they don't really care. I've got an old beige pentium 3 machine that has almost 1 ghz. Maybe good time to sell... I won't get that kind of money though I'm sure. They are still used for machinery.

Bump

If you see a retro machine going for that much is because they are targeting factories that just want to replace a computer on a machine instead of replacing the whole damn machine. And yes, factories will pay a lot for your old 486 to P3 machines just because of the software the need for the machine and the ports to connect everything and for the ISA slots.

you guys gave me great ideas for business, so I'll give you some stuff back

if you want free/cheap tech, or even if you want to resell stuff, ask people to give/sell you their broken/dead phones/tablets. I lived in a small town, and got LOTS and LOTS of phones/tablets, some worked just fine. most people are ignorant, and sometimes the problem is not even the hardware.

I once got a working moto-g for $20. the owner said it was dead, the screen was totally black, but I opened, pressed some shit and managed to get it working... sadly, I was a retard and managed to break it again, so in the end it was a waste, but that's another topic.

post ads on trade groups on facebook (inb4 fb) or craigslist or whatever, saying that you receive/buy their broken stuff. you can learn how to fix them while collecting them, by disassembing old/completely broken ones and testing stuff (changing the screen, etc). for example, some cheap chinese tablets are fixed by disconnecting/reconnecting the power cables. also, if you have some experience with electronics stuff, you could flash ROMs and shit.

also, lots of videos on youtube explaining how to fix phones, in general and for specific models. hell, I once found one that explained a way to bypass the account locking in a relatively new phone...

also, knowing linux is a plus here, android phones are easy to manage and repurpose if you know a thing or two...

Elaborate?

learn where the smaller it shops are and diver around there

I've gotten a last gen i7 and i5 and some decently dense memory in the past, running that i5 right now on a dived mobo as well

on what? linux? you can install linux and run services (web, samba, etc) on a rooted android phone. you can also use it as a wifi router, modify the DNS server, etc. obviously you can control the hardware from java, so lots of possibilities...

nvidia g4mx400-t
intel 333mhz pre 2000
amd athlon ~2000

kek

>some cheap chinese tablets are fixed by disconnecting/reconnecting the power cables.

wish I would've known this, I trashed one that was boot looping and got my kid a fire tablet earlier this year.

Here's some stuff I've dragged home from my uni's ewaste pile

they dont put technology in those here.

Sure, the thing I'm posting from right now was trashpicked.

Got an IBM Model 30 with Model M keyboard. Don't have a monitor though.

Last year I went to take out the trash and found a duo2cuo machine with 3 gigs of gaming RAM, a dead PSU, and a hard drive with all personal documents of some chick.

>hard drive with all personal documents of some chick

I am already rock hard.

No lewds, and she wasn't even cute. I wiped the drive.

What a waste.

A lot. Multiple 2nd / 3rd / 4th gen i7's / Xeons, servers, SAN's, etc. It's amazing when you live in a technology company rich area.

Which would be a good place to dumpster dive? I have never done it, but would like to find some neat things.

Well, we are in a dumpster diving thread.

Pretty simple user, behind bestbuys, gamestops, repair shops, rich neighborhoods. However it depends on where you live and how lucky you are.

>repair shops
Are not going to throw away anything worthwhile.

Could do, would just have to be careful. Potentially could get in trouble with the police.

Industrial, office and commercial parks at night. Residential is mostly a waste of time. Try to take note of places that deal with scrapmetal and electronic waste. Biggest hurdle is dealing with security. The more advanced camera systems must log motion activity because I've been finding that bins are suddenly being padlocked up after I've visited a few times.

Oh, and this was one of the businesses that suddenly starting locking their bins. Some kind of trickery prevented me from taking a clear picture but the logo was still captured. You might just be able to tell who it is...

Scrap dealers will beat you senseless if they catch you m8. They fucking hate thieving gyppo cunts.

surprised they weren't doing it already, unlocked dumpsters are a serious potential security breach

I wonder why they even care, it's going to the trash anyways.

>Intel
What did you find?

>If I can't make money off of this, NO ONE CAN!

I got LOOX 720 from dumpster complete with warranty card and USB host cable. Touchscreen and battery were unusable.

Ever wonder how most big breaches of businesses happen? It's not some Russian mob operation sending out random emails and popping 0days on outward-facing systems, it's some dipshit fishing out telephone directories and print-outs of emails from the dumpster behind the office and then calling/mailing whatever contacts they can get to convince them to divulge valuable information such as account credentials or even company secrets.

mothafucking Kayaks and Vectras are my fetish.

re-add me on steam shitter
I accidently deleted you.

steamcommunity.com/id/76561189058037365/

Yeah, I know. I've worked for a Gypsie owned scrapyard and they are ruthless. Be stupid to even attempt it.

>What did you find?
Nothing, just Amazon and food packaging.

>I wonder why they even care, it's going to the trash anyways.
It's most likely more to do with sensitive documents (which should all be shredded anyway).

Are you really from Korea?

Found a 22" monitor in someones junk pile waiting for pickup, that made a whine noise and shut off after 12 seconds. I replaced a few capacitors and now it's good as new!

I wish someone threw out their old vintage case already.

I've been dying to get my 486 fitted in a beige case, and most of them on eBay are $60-90 tops... All for a stupid peice of old painted metal.

>inb4 "retrogamying maeks moeny"

>Mac

That thing was where it belonged user

Sadly this.

If they're tossing out important documents that are not shredded then they deserve it honestly.

>AT101W
Very nice! I found one in my university's tech bin also. What's the specs of that desktop? Pentium 1? 486?

anyone got a decent machine doing this? im seriously attempted to do this

I got a t23 a few years ago, and one of my mates got a server blade. It's worth a shot if you have one in the area.

>>AT101W
>Very nice! I found one in my university's tech bin also.
Yeah I've found quite a few too (currently typing on one)
>What's the specs of that desktop? Pentium 1? 486?
It's a 133mhz Pentium 1, but it still needs alittle work

sent ;)

Not working? What's the problem?

i got an hp pro 4300 out the dumpster. i3 3220 and 8gb ddr3, just no hdd

It needs another AT power supply (the one that's in it is bad)

>Have you ever gotten technology out of the dumpster Sup Forums?
I used to haunt a metal-recycler's yard. Much goodness to be had.

Unfortunately, the thrift shops around me aren't allowed to sell electrical goods because they can't certify that they're safe and to code.
Pity.

It's called "hard rubbish" where I live and a frugal friend of mine goes street shopping for salvagable stuff when the municipality announces a collection period.
In fact there's a fashion nowadays for people to just put still-useful stuff out on the nature strip. There's hardly a street that doesn't have its huddle of abandoned furniture etc on the grass.

>I wiped the drive.
There is nothing more banal that someone else's letters and documents.
And as for family vacation/birthdat photos... yuk!

>Are not going to throw away anything worthwhile.
You'd be surprised. Everybody makes mistakes.
Picked up a dead Celeron off the nature strip after somone else had been through it.
500Gig HD, 4Gig RAM, Optical drive, WiFi dongle. And the case. OK, not top of the line but he had a good collection of movies and torrented stuff.

Does dumpster diving in vidya stores count? I have so many ps3 and xbox 360 sports games that i could legitimately build a two story house with the boxes.

I also find a fuckload of controllers that i sell for cheap on craigslist, if you ever see a guy selling xbone, ps3 and ps4 controllers brand new for 15-20 dollars that's me.