Debian Stretch Planned to be Released on 2017-06-17

lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2017/05/msg00002.html

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.debian.org/ReleasePartyStretch
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Nice. It has been some years since my last birthday gift.

Stretch has been frozen since october of last year, you can install it RIGHT NOW.
Why do people wait until it's officially moved to stable branch?

>
If you want to celebrate it, please consider attending a Debian release party, or hosting your own! See wiki.debian.org/ReleasePartyStretch for more information

Is this a joke?

No, they really are this mental.

the fuck

fags dont' remember windows 7 launch parties

>not celebrating free software
What the fuck is wrong with you people

All of those people except Mr. Green Cardigan look pretty sexy. Food and drinks are terrible though.

systemd?

Well, it's not like there's a Debian release every month
It's a momentous occasion

We can except the new testing to be available around a month later, that's it?

>he doesn't use sid

Good news!
Debian master race

Would do the one on the right.

>he uses Debian GNU (GNU's Not Usable) Lonix (loser's UNIX)

>this is how debian users look
arch btfo?

What do people do at debian launch parties?
I don't think anyone would be installing it at the party.

we give each other concrete enemas

If Ubuntu doesn't play nice with my wifi card, then will Debian? I kind of doubt it, but you never know.

Eating, talking and exchanging fingerprints.

They dress conservatively and the girls are pretty cute, what's wrong with this?

Why doesn't it play nice? If it's because the driver is bad, then no. Probably no distro will play nice.

if your freedom hating shit wifi card doesn't work in ubuntu, then it won't work in debian either.

What ubuntu version are you using? Debian stretch will use the latest LTS kernel 4.9. What wifi card are you using?

Yep. Even installed a driver that supposedly works and I still get get frequent and random drops. I'll probably just end up either swapping it out or trying out p a power line adapter, but I'm in an apartment so I dunno how good the wiring is.

Probably.

Waiting for the Devuan release.

Try using the windows descriptor file through ndiswrapper and see if it's works better.

What does this mean for someone using Debian Stable?

I haven't thought of that. I'll look into it. Thanks.

u gon die

Not much. Version updates in debian work almost like normal updates.

I'm sad they're dropping PowerPC as a release architecture, though at least we still have ppc64el

I'm surprised they support all those ancient platforms at all, they probably have no more than 100 installations worldwide across all of them

Still less platforms than NetBSD. The joke that NetBSD will run on anything, even your toaster, isn't too far removed from reality.

It's still testing branch, so late security updates than any other branch.

If I was on Stretch already, does it mean I'm going to be Stable after that day? should I Sid myself if I want more up to date packages or is it too buggy? is it backports a more sane direction?

also wondering this

I spent all afternoon getting used to all the changes in stretch and rewriting configs because there was such a huge jump in package versions this time.
Should I just switch to sid from now on?

Debian testing isn't known for having good security

Because of it unstable branch is also frozen and stuck with old verson of libraries and kernels.

>using racist Ian Murdocks distro

> he doesn't know that sid is frozen alongside testing too.

There is no reason to choose testing over sid.

It depends on how you configured your sources. If you configured it to follow the "stretch" repos then you'll follow stretch over to stable and then to oldstable and eventually it will go unsupported. If you configured your sources to follow "testing" then you'll upgrade to the next code-named testing release.

ahh, I'm testing, thank you!

Dear Init Freedom Lovers,

Once again the Veteran Unix Admins salute you!

Many of you might remember November 2014 when we announced that
we were going to fork Debian. Well, we have done exactly that. It
has been a long process, but now over two years later, we proudly
present Devuan Jessie 1.0.0 Stable.

There have been no significant bug reports since Devuan Jessie
RC2 was announced only three weeks ago and the list of release
critical bugs is now empty. So finally Devuan Jessie Stable is
ready for release! As promised, this will also be a
Long-Term-Support (LTS) release. Our team will participate in
providing patches, security updates, and release upgrades beyond
the planned lifespan of Debian Jessie.

Not upgrading any of my servers until at least 9.2 is released.

>muh init freedom
What a waste of time and resources. systemd is fine and sysadmins love it. When has systemd ever caused a large-scale common problem that can be replicated across large sites?

>systemshitd fine
>anyone loves it

evverx please

malware creators should focus on the init system to undermine its future development

Those are all girls.

>why would anyone want to reunite and socialize with people that share the same passion/hobby as themselves? They're clearly autists
(You).

That's even better

I'm guessing stretch is a project that came with the women can code stuff to symbolise the value of mature women and their 2nd hand vaginas

I think you need to take a break from Sup Forums, or maybe Sup Forums in general.

You have to be 18 to post here.

>What a waste of time and resources, systemd
ftfy

Embrace the inevitable.