/urban/ + /architecture/

Discuss urban developement, design, planning, urbanization, growth and future of cities, urban life style etc. All discussions about architecture, it's impact on daily life, trends(both historical and contemporary), new projects and anything related to architecture in general, are welcomed here aswell.

Post pics of cities, urban areas, buildings, physical structures, infrastructure also construction sites and renders. Comment and rate.

Other urls found in this thread:

emergenturbanism.com/2008/12/21/decoding-paradise-the-emergent-form-of-mediterranean-towns
youtube.com/watch?v=kheG0k83G0o
twitter.com/AnonBabble

/balt/

Since it's kind of urban related, here's some pics of the Eurocup opening concert, last night in Paris.

Do you think driveless cars can allow us to rebirth close cities again, as we move away from cities strapped to the grown by highways?

I dreamt of a new florence, where a mother can call across a city square to her children, where old men can sit under handsome porticoes, a city which was both timeless and ever changing.

I'm not an architect, but I feel like there is so much room for a neo-renaissance movement, not in the aesthetic, which is merely vain, but in the planning of a city.

The buildings of Florence, although I have need seen them in person, have this flow and feeling which gives the impression that every building was made with human proportion and human reason in mind. It is not enormous and vain like the modern skyscrapers which worship men, nor is it godly and oppressive (in the feeling of submission to god) like the Gothic architecture.

Does anyone know this feel?

well Florence is cool that's for sure : ^)

I know it too well senpai, I too prefer dense and comfy historical oldtowns myself, not soulless suburbs or near artificial skyscraper cities contructed in the last decade or two with newly aquired wealth.
I'm afraid the old world is still dying though and we'll see less and less of these comfy setups.
I'll dump my /comfy alleys/ in remembrance.

Urban planning student, Indonesia

AMA

why indonesian cities are so shit when it comes to urban planning

>The buildings of Florence, although I have need seen them in person, have this flow and feeling which gives the impression that every building was made with human proportion and human reason in mind. It is not enormous and vain like the modern skyscrapers which worship men, nor is it godly and oppressive (in the feeling of submission to god) like the Gothic architecture.
You are extremely correct. The renaissance artists - and Giotto before them - believed that nature had its own harmony, and that through geometry we could reproduce it with art.
Gothic has much attention to light and height - the message it conveys is one of transcendence of the divine. They're completely different.

do people still unironically call it "Danzig"

No I just wanted to trigger you

that's name seems chinese one

good post

Is that an aspect of the rediscovery of old texts and the idea that we (moderns), can imitate, learn from and transcend the ancients so that we can be greater than the greeks and romans?

It might be worth asking where that goal went.

germanic master piece

Until very recent times, a study entitled Julian of Ascalon’s Treatise of Design and Construction Rules From Sixth-Century Palestine might have been categorized somewhere in-between ancient history and archeology of architecture, if not relegated to the dusty shelves of legal scholarship. Although it deals with one of the most sought-after secrets of architecture, how to build the charming Mediterranean towns of Greece, Spain, North Africa, the Near East and many other places, this is not immediately obvious from the content of the treatise. The reason for this is that the treatise does not so much describe the form of the town as the process for building it, and the process turns out to be emergent. Unless the reader makes the link from process to form, the rules described will make no more sense than the rules for a cellular automaton out of context.

It is to his great credit that Besim S. Hakim went looking specifically for the source of the emergent forms of Mediterranean towns in treatises of building laws. From his study of the treatise of Julian of Ascalon, but also of those of Muslim scholars around the Mediterranean, he was able to identify the underlying process that generates the complex morphology all towns of the region have in common, and that so many have sought to imitate. It is no exaggeration to call this pioneering work in complexity.

The space of Hakim's search began in the Islamic world, with the treatise of Ibn al-Rami from Tunis in circa 1350. Tracing the origins of the practices described in the treatise, references to treatises written in Egypt, Arabia, Tunisia and Andalusia in previous centuries were researched until the treatise of Julian of Ascalon was uncovered. Written in Palestine to describe the local building customs in order to provide the Byzantine empire with an improved legal system, this particular treatise's value is its longevity. After propagating throughout Greek civilization as part of a general book of laws (the Hexabiblos), its authority was invoked in decisions dating as recently as the 19th century. Hakim infers the origins of these shared practices, and the shared morphology of regions as far apart culturally, linguistically and geographically, as Andalusia, Greece and Palestine, to customs from ancient Babylonian civilization that had spread to the Eastern Roman Empire.

The goal shared by these treatises is a definition of urbanism as relevant today as it was in Babylon:

>The goal is to deal with change in the built environment by ensuring that minimum damage occurs to preexisting structures and their owners, through stipulating fairness in the distribution of rights and responsibilities among various parties, particularly those who are proximate to each other. This ultimately will ensure the equitable equilibrium of the built environment during the process of change and growth. (Hakim, Mediterranean urban and building codes: origins, content, impact, and lessons, p. 24)

where is polish

When are we gonna move past the soulless modern 'architecture' meme lads?

Perhaps the most relevant conclusion of this research is the identification of proscriptive and prescriptive rules for building.

>Proscription is an imposed restraint synonymous with prohibition as in 'Thou shalt not', for example, you are free to design and manipulate your property provided you do not create damage on adjacent properties. Prescription is laying down of authoritative directions as in 'Thou shalt', for example, you shall setback from your front boundary by (x) meters, and from your side boundaries by (y) meters regardless of site conditions. Byzantine codes in many instances included specific numeric prescriptions, unlike their Islamic counterparts that tended not to include them. (Hakim, Mediterranean urban and building codes: origins, content, impact, and lessons, p. 26)

A prescription would be a rule that defines in detail what to do in a given situation. A proscription is a template for defining prescriptive rules, a pattern for a rule. Muslim scholars provided mainly proscriptions, but Julian of Ascalon's treatise was highly prescriptive. Julian was describing in details the local building codes with the idea that they would be used to devise proscriptive rules for the empire. By accident these prescriptive rules became law and remained in force for centuries until their inability to deal with society or physical conditions radically different from sixth century Palestine made them obsolete. Although it means the codes failed to deal with changing circumstances, this gives us the chance to bridge the gap between the physical structure of built towns and the rules that generate them.

already done

>soulless modern 'architecture' meme

here is it

The concept of proscriptive rules also helps explain why so many different cultures with specific structural typologies can generate such similar morphology. Hakim uses as an example the problem of views. The Greeks were preoccupied with views of the sea, and their prescriptive rules obliged the preservation of view corridors in new constructions. Muslims, on the other hand, were preoccupied with the preservation of privacy and the prevention of intrusive views from one property to another. This would have very different results structurally, however those two prescriptive rules are based on the same underlying proscription. Local customs and culture could therefore be translated into prescriptive rules using the proscriptions inscribed in building treatises and the emergent morphology of those proscriptions would be symmetric from one culture to the next, while being fully adapted to local conditions.

Another significant fact that strikes out from these treatises is the importance of relationships between neighbors. The Julian of Ascalon treatise describes how to literally embed houses into each other, ultimately making them one continuous, somewhat random building created through iterated steps. But most importantly by proscribing rules as relevant to a neighborhood, Mediterranean urbanism avoids the problem of the absolutist, dare I say "Cartesian" rules of modern planning that are relative to the precisely subdivided lot the building is on. Hakim shows the wastefulness of latter rules in a comparison of the old town of Muharraq in Bahrain with a new subdivision from modern Muharraq.

The town on the left was generated using proscriptions based on neighbors, while the subdivision on the right used absolute rules planned with the subdivision. Notice that the configurations on the right waste much of the space in order to achieve a strictly Cartesian, grid-like morphology that no doubt looks orderly to the planners.

South Korea can be nice :^)

wew, just noticed the thread now

He usually disappears for short periods like this

As soon as we move past le """soul""" meme

When people start to treat beauty like it matters.

The reason our world feels so empty in its architecture is that the architecture is supposed to be strong, elegant and proud. But it is the same architecture everywhere and it is evidently the deracinated architecture of globalism. Mere glass prisms in which the temporary urban nomads reside and transpond to conduct their daily paperwork.

The movement in the near future, specifically the changing politico-social paradigm of local vs global, ahistoric vs historic, and a number of others which haven't been verified yet.

>Gangnam
vomitgoose.jpg

its not the soulless ones that are annoying its the really fucked up ones

>han ser ikke "sjelen" av en by
>han foretrekke skyskrapere i östen ovenfor europeiske bykjerner

Tror ikke vi kommer overens as autistbyposternordmann nr. 1

>As soon as we move past le """soul""" meme
I don't think there's anything wrong with modern architecture if it's personally designed, but the mass-produced modern architecture that fills all the gaps in cities is clearly trash m8

what book is this from, more info ploz

ayy lmao

emergenturbanism.com/2008/12/21/decoding-paradise-the-emergent-form-of-mediterranean-towns

Sjel er jo bare et "buzzword" som man sier på godt megmegsk. Bygg har ikke sjel. Det er et tomt konsept, spesielt i et sammenheng der man snakker om livslause ting.

Har aldri sagt jeg foretrekk det ene over det andre heller. Jeg hater det meste av moderne byplanlegging, men ikke arkitekturen i seg selv. Arkitektur har jeg sans for uansett hvilken tidsperiode den kommer fra, og jeg syntes de fleste stiler har sin plass i verden.

hokkaido

i think that has more soul than a commie block, i really hate commie blocks

ty

so is this guy looking into emerging patterns as solutions for urban design, im looking into this

It sure looks like Hokkaido, but it's actually pretty south in western Japan. You can even find glaciers in the region.

why did you cherrypick bad picture about south korea? do you have any grudge for south korea or south koreans? just don't mention about us even i've never seen any south korean talk about norway on Sup Forums so you make me hate norway

It's not you mr korean man, it's this pole with his asian cities fetish, I dislike it

please don't hate us just because of one shitpost

duno what is this, saved and shared

poland

just get out of us since norway has literally zero connect to south korea

of course not i saw that norway shitposter about south korea several times so why don't even know why

Seems like a plan for the Aussie capital.

Looks like they followed it, though I'm not sure if it was their intention to have trees instead of buildings.

Yes sorry, I'll shitpost China instead

why you so angry

norway has literally zero skyscrapers i know it

vatican

spain

Depends how you define a skyscraper, but in general terms I'd say we have two.

I don't see what your point is, though.

he's not korean he's a french weeb

yes found it, i think this pic is related. iirc they didnt follow through as planned (zoning was all changed)

Damn, shame it didn't end up like that and instead became Suburbia: The City

just it means a modern skyscraper in the usual sense

anyway i don't much fond of tall modern buildings

Comfy
Good post

Teenage rebel phase – the building

I know this feeling. I think we have just too many cars in the world. I'd love a city in which I could send my car to a garage while I'm walking through the streets. I think we have to make cities more social. We have created suburbs, because we wanted to escape from the noice of the city. I would like to see a town with a central market square with narrow streets which are leading to a central square. Cities are made for humans and not for machines. I'd love a town in which I could quietly live in a huge dense. I'd love a town where I'd just hear conversations and the noice of streaming blue water out of the white marble fountains. It shouldn't be that difficult to create something like this, we have done it before. We used to live in those towns untill the 20th-century. We are humans, nothing less and nothing more and we want houses in towns which are made for humans.

>toothpaste plag
You have less to complain than most people, but then again I guess frequently seeing historical centers and contrasting with new centers is probably depressing.

>modern architecture
>soulless
I vehemently disagree
youtube.com/watch?v=kheG0k83G0o

(you)

It is. But it's not just about the Netherlands. It's about the whole world. Please build something with quality or don't build anything. The man should be the size. (Pic unrelated)

SK is a beautiful country stop this self hate

Mátyás Templom, Budapest(Hungary)

Winning redevelopment proposal around (in this case on) an old warehouse in Oslo.

They're already talking about shortening the towers lmao.

>German speaking about architecture.
kek.

Thanks!
very bad

german architecture is (was) very good

I think it's alright, honestly. It's quite an anonymous warehouse that would otherwise have been torn, so it's not quite like the Libeskind incidents. Building around would just dwarf it and make it invisible on street level, making it a waste of space to keep, but this kind of still makes it survive as the centerpiece of the whole complex while saving space.

Building on top of old buildings is just one way to breathe fresh air into a rotting facade, after all. Though I think the towers would have looked better if they were out of some high-quality red brick, as then the contrast wouldn't be all that big.

Shortening the towers would also make it lose the whole wow effect, so I hope they don't do that. It's only 70m at most and not even in that nice of an area, but our politicians are nazi like that.

Palmanova, Italy

any pics of the warehouse?

And you must consider that the towers will obstruct the view and probably look out of place. They don't have to make a wow building, can't they just do something simple that fits in?

that's a big town square