Is Ubuntu a meme? If I were to try Linux for the first time, which distro should I use?

Is Ubuntu a meme? If I were to try Linux for the first time, which distro should I use?

Other urls found in this thread:

arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/04/ubuntu-unity-is-dead-desktop-will-switch-back-to-gnome-next-year/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Ubuntu.

I thought so. Thanks.

And dont let anyone convince you otherwise

LXLE > Ubuntu

Ubuntu or Linux Mint. Just go with Ubuntu - any flavour (Xubuntu, Ubuntu MATE, Kubuntu, etc.).

I would simply like to correct you for one second. What you're alluding to as Linux, is in actuality, GNU/Linux, or as I have of late taken to calling it, GNU and Linux. Linux is not an OS by itself, but rather another free section of a fully functioning GNU setup fashioned into something practical by the GNU core libraries, terminal facilities and necessary setup components comprising a full OS.

There are numerous holders use a subspecies of the original setup daily, without knowledge of it. Through a particular series of situations, the edition of GNU utilized now is often called Linux, and its holders have no knowledge that it is practically the GNU setup, made by GNU.

There is in fact a Linux, and they do have it installed, but it is simply a part of the setup they use. Linux is a core: the part of the setup that hands out the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The core is an essential part of an OS, but cannot work on its own; it is only operational in the environment of a whole OS. Linux is normally utilized in combination with the GNU OS: the whole setup is practically GNU with the addition of Linux, or GNU/Linux. All the alleged Linux distros are really distros of GNU/Linux.

KDE neon or solus

/thread.

Chalet OS

Not op but whats the sexiest distro

I hear 17.10 is botnet and that they sold out to Amazon. I'm still on 14.04. Is this true?

Dude your asking this to someone who literally knows zilch about linux

Arch

Listen to this guy.

Gentoo

lol no

N-now what? What's the benefit of using this over windows?

there isnt one

debian for the rest of your life

just learn to use linux. Write it on your resume, thats the only benefit your gonna get

Unless you're a freetard, none. You don't even get the benefit of Linux tools as Windows 10 natively runs Linux binaries on its Linux subsystem. Why did you make the switch exactly?

> Significantly less malware
> Significantly less bloat
> Actual control over your system

I guess it's interesting learning to use the terminal.

Depends on what you like.
Women? Ubuntu.
Men? Fedora.
Traps? Arch.
Dykes? Debian.
Neckbeards? Gentoo.

Go home, Richard. You're high.

If you're not a software developer, none, if you are it's running the same OS/userland on your development computer as you do on the server. (If you aren't a starving gamedev or C#/.NET pajeet).

Oh, and it's "more configurable" for when you want to look like you're working but actually spend all day dicking around instead of accomplishing anything.

Definitely Ubuntu. And don't fall for the "advanced" distros meme, once you gain experience you will do fine with Ubuntu if it works for you. The "advanced" distros are called so by their pathetic users who believe using them is a proof of real expertise.

I guess I'm having a good time. Software program is pretty cool.

Linux from scratch or Gentoo

Already got Ubuntu.

Ubuntu MATE and Linux Mint Cinnamon are the best distributions for Windows expats. I give Mint Cinnamon the edge but it will get you flamed by guys whose OS'es require reading shit

I have a 2007 Macbook, anything newer than Snow Leopard is literally unusable even though the hardware should have no trouble running it.

Trying to install Windows on a Mac of this generation with a broken optical drive is also a pain in the ass so here I am with Ubuntu because all I do is browse the web anyway....

is LXLE any good? I hear its better for laptops. Was thinking of switching since I don't own a desktop.

OP here. Having a lot of fun fucking around with the terminal. It's cool learning about to to navigate and use the file system. Surprisingly having fun.

why is this so correct

>I like women
>I use ubuntu
we fit so right

Switch DEs, unity is no longer under active development

Mint

The only correct answer is Solus.

LXLE is fucking Ubuntu! Learn the difference about DE/WM and distros.

Ubuntu with i3 and loli backgrounds.

Ubuntu is free, you don't have to pay money for a browsing machine. Also you can play videos and listen to music.

If you do: gaming, CAD, windows development or use a specific software than only runs in Windows then you are fucked. But for everything else, Linux is OK.

>Switch DEs, unity is no longer under active development

lel, source?

Looks great. I was going to call you out for not having a (You) next to (OP), but I guess the cookies don't follow you to a new OS.
>now what?
Click the icon you've selected, when you're ready. Have fun.

Try typing "man intro".

arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/04/ubuntu-unity-is-dead-desktop-will-switch-back-to-gnome-next-year/
OP, if you don't want to have to learn a new interface again in like a year when the next major release comes out, maybe use Ubuntu GNOME now, since that's what regular Ubuntu will start looking like.

Ubuntu is like Linux Mint only with a desktop three times shittier

everything you can do in Ubuntu you can do in Linux Mint but better

>Ubuntu is like Linux Mint
Because Mint is Ubuntu repackaged with a green theme by some pajeet >only with a desktop three times shittier
DE!=distro

>DE!=distro
Cinnamon is the vanilla flavour of Mint.

And? You can install it just as easily on Ubuntu. It's not a Mint exclusive, nor does Mint come exclusively with Cinnamon(much like Ubuntu doesn't come exclusively with Unity).

LXLE is Ubuntu you fucking faggot.

They did kind of sell out to Amazon, but they've dropped the amazon integration from the latest versions.

yeah, but no real Linux guy is going to recommend installing a DE on top of another one because it can lead to unforeseen conflicts and bugs. If someone is new to Linux and wants to use Cinnamon they need to install Mint because Ubuntu does not have a Cinnamon Flavor and in no way, shape or form is it "just as easy" to get Ubuntu + Cinnamon up and running ESPECIALLY for someone who is brand new to Linux

sudo apt-get install cinnamon

There, now you get all the benefits of Mint without its outdated packages.

Are you kidding me? It's really fucking trivial to get cinnamon to work on Ubuntu. I managed to do it just fine, and that was when I could barely use command line.

I'm not saying it's hard to install Cinnamon in Ubuntu, but it's not as easy as simply installing Linux Mint in the first place

installing two de's can cause problems and is not a good idea. here's another one for you

>sudo apt-get update
there, your Mint installation's packages are now as up to date as Ubuntu LTS because they come directly from Ubuntu xenial repos

Linux DEs are so fucking ugly. Why don't they hire some actual professionals to design at least 1 decent looking one?

Cinnamon, Budgie and KDE all look better than Windows 10 out of the box

Antergos

This, switch to KDE

it's just a modificated lubuntu, if you use a machine that was build in 2010 or newer there is no need to use it over regular ubuntu.

so kind of a stupid question but if I want to do some online shoping and suspect there is malware on my computer could I use a ubuntu run through usb to protect my credit card info or would windows and its programs/viruses still have access to it ?

If you run Ubuntu from live-USB, no information is saved on your HDD, so the information would be safe.

Doesn't canonical official Ubuntu have a secret amazon affiliate or some other backdoor?

It's just Lubuntu with shits you don't need, which defeat the purpose of using the fucking Lubuntu on the first place.

there is already a fork of unity in the works, porting unity 8 to wayland. i hope they don't blow it since i really like unity.

he did say 'laptop' though and Unity or other heavy DE's most definitely kill your battery life. for all the praise Sup Forums puts on Linux, it fucking sucks for battery life and laptops in general and it's something that needs to be addressed

fpbp

>ask if the most used, working, stable distro is a meme
yeah, all those people who use Tensorflow and other AI are just memeing

unity was initially developed for netbooks and it don't drain my x220's battery faster than windows 10 did.

that's it, you are out of the botnet
congratulations user you made it!

Their cannot be anything secret in free software. It used to send your searches to Amazon but it's now disabled by default.

>N-now what? What's the benefit of using this over windows?

>Somebody told me that only one is superior. I can only have one thing in my life and I only use that one thing because it's the best. The one thing must be required to do everything because there can only be one thing. I hope I pick the right one. I would hate to be wrong. Maybe someone will convince me. There couldn't possibly be uses for each one. You know you can't go back or use what works best in each one because one thing always has to be superior to another thing.

Pic related.

Gentoo, using just the tty with tmux and ncurses applications

i knew windows 10 sucked but that's almost hard to believe. I don't use Unity I use mint cinnamon though which is similarly hefty. on a laptop with two hard drives and the Windows 7 hard drive lasts about 40 percent longer unplugged. using the default 'power saver' profile that dims the screen and gimps the processor a bit

>N-now what?

Install an ad blocker!

KDE is a shitshow od confusing configuration windows, use Gnome

shit, now I feel bad to force myself to learn and like Unity. To LXDE again.

Xubuntu

I like Fedora better but Ubuntu has better hardware support.

Also I have yet to find a Linux distro GUI that doesn't look like ass.

I'm switching right now.

Had Windows 10 Edu installed with Ubuntu VM.
They'll now change place.

Ubuntu installed with Windows 10 Edu VM

No ubuntu is fine you might also consider Fedora, OpenSuse, or if you like Kdesktop KDE Neon

very accurate
arch is also for huge weeaboos

i3 or xmonad with a nice colour scheme

The differences between distros is small at your stage. Doesn't matter what you pick, but Ubuntu is fine.

Kubuntu 17.04

learn the shell and C

Arch-anywhere... Or void linux... Just avoid everything else

Does this look like ass to you?
You can even drag and drop the screenshot from the notification to an upload button on a website

Go with ubuntu.

That being said, it's all the same shit anyways.

>switched MS Windows to GNU/Windows
I bet you didn't even notice a difference.

I think Mint is a bit better, but Ubuntu is also fine for a starter

Ubuntu is the linux distro for people that get shit done user.

Fedora my man