Ffdshow

I bet nobody uses this any more, but there's still a great use for it: denoise3d
Normally if you upscale anime with MadVR and use high adaptive sharpen settings the result will be noisy as shit, but if you switch MPC-HC from LAV decoding to ffdshow, upscale with NGU Sharp and enable denoise3d it'll look like a freaking waifu2x upscale. Pic related, with adaptive sharpen on 1.0.

Other urls found in this thread:

avisynth.nl/index.php/Hqdn3d
nyaa.pantsu.cat/view/840896
nyaa.pantsu.cat/view/924318
forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=403389
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I should add this is with default denoise3d settings.

That chinese cartoon was encoded in 8-bit video wasn't it?

>[Doki]_Yuru_Yuri_-_07v2_(1280x720_h264_BD_AAC)_[DF080EE5]
Yes. I can never tell the difference with debanding on.

my grandma asked me to rotate a video the other day so I spent 30 mins fiddling with the commands to get the proper orientation & quality set for ffdshow and it worked like a charm. Someone really needs to make a GUI for it though...

>Someone really needs to make a GUI for it though
ffdshow has a GUI

I just noticed that denoise3d is also great for any Horriblesubs files, upscaling/sharpening or no.

The denoise3d+adaptive sharpen combination is also nice for 1080p anime at native resolution when the lineart is listed at an in-between 720p and 1080p resolution on anibin... this combination can make these files look like full 1080p anime.

That looks really nice
Can you post a screencap of this in action on a 1280x720 TV rip upscaled to 1080p?

[HorribleSubs] Eromanga-sensei - 08 [720p]
Not a TV rip, but it's probably worse since it's HS 720p.

Here's a TV rip.

I should also add the HQ checkbox is checked.

denoise3d off.

denoise3d on. Look at her irises.

>Anime
Go to hell.

This isn't reddit.

The fact that the catalog of a neutral board like consists almost entirely of pictures of anime should tell you something about the demographics of Sup Forums. There are plenty of places where you can discuss technology which don't contain these demographics, user.

Don't talk to him, just report. He's gonna get banned again soon.

I may be wrong about this but avisynth.nl/index.php/Hqdn3d appears to be the same thing as ffdshow's denoise3d with HQ box checked in avisynth format which mpv users may get use out of.

It looks good in stills, but leaves trailing distortion during panning scenes... anyway to fix that?

Um, let me find a panning scene and get back to you on that.

I tried several panning scenes and cannot reproduce this, user.

that's weird... Here is what I'm seeing (on most panning scenes)
this one is panning vertically

i love pripara

And here is without denoise3d/Blur & NR in ffdshow
(both are upscaling 128x720 -> 1440p)
maybe need to mess with the denoise3d values

I've now tried multiple panning scenes in three different anime and could not reproduce this. I don't know what to tell you.

Source file?

I've seen nothing of the sort in my multiple panning tests, but I can give that file a try if you can give me source and it's available.

nyaa.pantsu.cat/view/840896

Also I guess I should have mentioned the timestamp: at around 7:00, sorry

No seeds, so using [SMC-Subs] PriPara - 109 (TX 1280x720 x264 AAC) [2B625646]
denoise3d off.

Huh. It doesn't like this particular scene but doesn't do this on any of the shots I've tried other than this.

Try seeing if your own video card has its own de-noising turned on.

Setting time to 0 fixes it. I'm going to go test some other files now to see how this affects its overall effect in motion. Thanks so much for discovering that.

I've gone through a bunch of other episodes in other anime, and it seems like it's fine on panning stuff mainly with solid outlines, but I noticed when panning over gradients/outlineless stuff (visible in backgrounds), it distorts like that. Setting the time value in denoise3d to 0 reduces this a good bit but doesn't get rid of completely.
Thanks for this thread though, found it very useful! I'll try messing around with some settings some more.

It doesn't seem to have a visible negative effect compared to time at 6 like default. I'll go ahead and recommend setting time to 0.

Try setting chroma to 0. Chroma noise shouldn't be a huge issue anyways. Luma denoising should be enough to fix the effects of strong sharpening settings.

Nevermind, this didn't seem to make a difference.

You guys are gonna have to explain what to do for comfy anime watching from torrents. I tried the crunchyroll trial and its coming to an end but I already am addicted to animays and I'm not payin for that shit. Also how do I make sure files come with subs if I download from nyaa?

Now this is strange... setting luma, chroma and time to 0 still produces a different effect than with denoise3d off.

Here is one more panning scene, notice the distortion especially around the shadows
Top is off, bottom is on, both have madVR enabled, upscaled from 1280x720. denoise3d time is 0 for both
Source: nyaa.pantsu.cat/view/924318 at around 00:08

So long as it doesn't say "raw" in the filename and isn't included in the "raw" categories, it's most likely going to have subtitles.

Er, nevermind. This is incorrect.

What anime is this?

Sorry, in that pic I had "mplayer temportal noise reducer" enabled in the bottom one, which made it worse. Here is how it looks with just denoise3d. It causes some smearing under the shadows as it pans down, which isn't visible in the top one...

I cannot reproduce this dramatic of an effect with the same source file.

I cannot reproduce this dramatic of an effect with the same source file either. Maybe it's because you're upscaling to a higher resolution.

So just use mpv?
Also is it better to have a 1440p monitor than to watch on 1080p? Especially if the files are 720p usually. Anyway to upscale?

Anyone know what these are from?

With time 0, denoise3d on, settings otherwise default.

argggg which anime is this

I still cannot reproduce this dramatic of an effect after playing around with it a lot. You can see when comparing and that you're seeing a much stronger distortion effect than I am. All I'm getting is a slight blur of the gradients. I believe that denoise3d is probably conflicting with an unrelated setting that you have and I don't.

Or, possibly, MPC-HC didn't update properly. I noticed that changing the ffdshow settings sometimes didn't actually change the result unless I closed and reopened MPC after doing so. Do you still get the streaks in after setting time to 0, closing MPC and reopening it?

You're gonna feel really stupid when you reread the thread.

adaptive sharpening and denoise3d off

It's none of them in the thread. Yuri Yuri is something different

Adaptive sharpening on at 1.0, denoise3d HQ default settings except time at 0.
I'm getting nothing but improvement here and nothing at all like the streaking shown in

You're gonna feel REALLY stupid when you see the word source followed by a link when you read the thread a third time.

I don't know why, but that part of the post wasn't there. Either way I'm retarded.

Thanks

Is there any way to get Kodi to do something like this during playback?

My final conclusion, based on these four images, after doing a shitload of testing: the one flaw I have identified in denoise3d is that it has a tendency to add a slight blur to already blurred visuals such as the grass in and the dark vertical line on the right side of the screen on I have not been able to reproduce it blurring anything that wasn't blurry to begin with and it seems to have this effect on only a very select few scenes. I believe that the benefits of strong adaptive sharpening for anime, which you can see in every scene, strongly outweigh the slight blurring of already blurred visuals in a select few scenes.
In addition, I was unable to reproduce the STRONG effects exhibited by so I must conclude this user has some other setting that's conflicting with denoise3d.
I've satisfied myself with enough testing to conclude that this is worth using.

Any anime made from the late 90s up until 2010 isn't worth getting the 1080p version since they're most likely upscales. Any anime before that are made with animation cells and would likely be rescanned to 1080p as part of the remastering. Anything post 2010 will be animated at or at least very close to 1080p.

After more experimentation, I discovered that my AMD R9 270x video card has a hidden setting unavailable in the shitty new Radeon settings app which can be accessed by RadeonMod, found at forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=403389
This feature denoises just as well as ffdshow's denoise3d across several different files I've tested, but it also preserves blurry visuals like the grass here MUCH better, so I've decided it's a superior solution. I think NVIDIA cards have their own version of noise reduction which may be worth trying in conjunction with adaptive sharpening for NVIDIAbros. For those with browser extensions who can see those posts I just deleted, I accidentally saved this image as a .jpg like an idiot.