I got a free CATIA v5 license

I got a free CATIA v5 license

which is cool except I got it last year and only have 100 days left now apparently

Anyone have any resources to learn it myself? Tried to play around with it and its not intuitive at all, doesn't look anything like solid works

Anyways General /cad/ thread - what's your favorite CAD software, which one is best, etc

autodesk inventor is shit btw

DIA

>DIA
What's that

UML program

So how is it? I've seen a few of the big dick architecture firms saying it's what they use but I find that hard to imagine

>So how is it? I've seen a few of the big dick architecture firms saying it's what they use but I find that hard to imagine

Well since I don't know how to use it it's fucking shit

>spewing memes
Inventor >>>> Solidworks

rhin 3D masterrace

none of those matter when it looks like fucking shit

>but I find that hard to imagine
Nah it definitely is one of the big dick CADs, at least based on my knowledge of the Unix-era versions when it was like fucking $40,000 a seat and seemingly the only reason anyone ever bought an AIX workstation.

Why does catia look like fucking shit

>what's your favorite CAD software

CATIA

>which one is best

CATIA

>what's your favorite CAD software
the one i am using at school/work

>which one is best
the one i am using at school/work

They don't have to look good, they have a quasi monopoly in certain branches. And industry doesn't like change, especially when it means training all your engineers again.
Thats why Catia hasn't changed much in the last 20 years or so.

>I don't want to learn a new interface
good for you

I like Rhinoceros 3D.
The only 3D stuff I ever did was technical modeling and I really preferred Rhino to stuff like Autocad (it's 3D stuff was pretty limited at the time) or stuff like Maya that felt more aimed at animation

Aesthetics, post more!

I really love altium with solidworks for pcb design

Almost everyone I deal with uses Solidworks primarily-- occasionally I find a place that uses ProE/Creo, Rhino, NX, or something more obscure on the side, but Solidworks is the unifying standard.

No one uses Autodesk crap except the savages who've been stuck on Autocad for 20 years and are oblivious to technological developments since then. No evidence of anyone using Inventor, Fusion 360, or any of Autodesk's other CAD software outside of schools.

Non-CAD 3D software is a different story, since Autodesk bought out every single major polygon modeling/animation program.

V5R21 was made for XP in line 2003. V6, which nobody uses is from 2009.
Honestly, it's fucking great. It's verbose as fuck tho, you spend a lot clicking DEACTIVATE if you didn't plan your design and were just eyeballing it and of course have to change something "upstream".
It's akin to Matlab in that it comes with more workbenches than the average human will ever use or even see.
The auto anotating drafting workbench is fucking godly.
OP, go to youtube and learn from pajeet, hans and baguette.
First, learn the mouse controls. Then the workflow, which is usually, sketch, pad or revolve, drill holes, and drafting table.
Secondaries are generative sheetmetal, and maybe some of.the integrated FEM analysis.
Have fun!

the company i work for is specialized in multicad solutions, i do consulting so i come in contact with pretty much all CAD systems. And at least for Germany i can say Inventor is big here.