I have a powerful PC, high refresh dual monitors...

I have a powerful PC, high refresh dual monitors, mechanical keyboard with the stupid RGB lights - but my speakers are 15 year old Logitech 2.1 pieces of shit I bought cheap and they are definitely the weakest part of my set up.

I want to bring my PC sound up to snuff so it could give my 5.1 Onkyo and B&W living room setup a run for it's money but I am unsure where to start. Are PC speakers out of a box of decent quality or should I apply my lounge room logic to my PC and build a 2.0 or 2.1 set up with separate receiver and speakers? And then do I buy a traditional stereo receiver and connect everything via the 3.5mm audio jack or do I look at DAC's and connecting via USB?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

>powerful
>high refresh
>mechanical
>RGB

So this...is the power of buzzwords.

>powerful pc

What CPU, GPU and RAM are you using? We'll be the judge if your PC is powerful or not.

I have the Intel i5 Series with state of the art Turbo Boost auto-overclocking technology, the Nvidia Geforce GTX, and 16GiB of Double Data Rate RAM.

The power of having a giggle too.

i7-4770K
32GB

Do I pass?

4770 bottlenecks a 1070 in 1080p. Also ddr3 ram

Focus on amplifier. Then focus on speakers.
>aim for flat sound on both

Generally, self powered speakers are shit compared to passive ones without an amplifier.
>If the speakers have power button or volume knob. Avoid.

Most second hand HI-Fi systems are much better than most 'pc' powered speakers.
>hi-fi has amplifier
>speakers are passive

Second hand Dvd players (with auxiliary channels) are also a good bet nowadays.
>could pick up a decent set of sony speakers and 5.1 amplifier for £100

i got a 4790k @ 5.0Ghz 1.35V and a 1080.

How is his system bottlenecked?

Full disclosure - it was built 3 years ago.

The 1070 replaced the original 780ti last year.

If I was going to upgrade the CPU and RAM too I would rather just build a whole new machine.

Your ipc is almost as low as poozen. A 1070 is more powerful than a Titan X Maxwell. You're at the limit of bottlenecking your GPU too in 1080p

>4770 bottlenecks a 1070 at 1080p

You have no idea what you're talking about huh?

Like this. Made with sony parts. Dvd player fried. Amplifier and speakers work.
>£35
>A year ago

I would prefer selecting my choice of receiver and speakers as HT in a box is always shit too. Thanks for the reassurance.

The only thing I am getting hung up on is do I get an analogue or DAC amplifier?

i strongly recommend swiping that itchy sweat drop on your neck beard.

You should bottleneck your windpipe and save the rest of us from your further stupidity.

>4770 bottlenecks a 1070 in 1080p.
are you retarded?

A DAC is Digital Analogue Convertor. So it depends on what you've got coming out of your soundcard.
>Your soundcard will have a dac if it's sending out analogue jacks

Thanks for the suggestions but I'm not really on a strict budget. I can afford to buy the pricier stuff new.

Also I would rather have a solid 2.0 or 2.1 setup than a surround setup for my PC. I get my 5.1 kicks in the lounge room on the couch.

I was thinking something similar to this picture if that is of any help.

Just get logitech Z623

I think what I am more getting at is do I want to get my sound coming from the analogue 3.5mm jack on the PC (which I could use any traditional home stereo amp) or a digital signal from a USB port (which would require a DAC amp).

Should add. The best dac's are found in soundcards. Even a cheap sound blaster will usually eat and shit the dac's in 'digital' amplifiers.
>obviously you can pay for good 'digital' amplifiers

Good to know. You'll have to forgive me, I haven't fucked around with soundcards since the SB16 and everything started going mobo integrated.

Invest in soundcard, amplifier and speakers then.

Also, digital signal from usb is a no no. All the decent kit uses optical or even coaxial.
>you'll see the square input/output on the kit

And yep... you can get soundcards with digital out. Amplifiers with digital in. (which will have a dac to convert the sound to analogue before sending along the cable to the speakers)

>Should add. The best dac's are found in soundcards. Even a cheap sound blaster will usually eat and shit the dac's in 'digital' amplifiers.

>b_but they also have dogshit powersupplys riddled with switching noise
>digital amplifiers

wew get some sleep or a labotomy friendo

>4770 bottlenecks a 1070 in 1080p
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

check out this retard

I gave up on crappy computer and tv speakers and instead went with 2 music studio monitors, best freaking thing I ever did soundwise. Its an amazing difference.

im using a hdmi audio splitter off of my 1060 into a 1080 monitor and a pair of these. edifier 1600t

Best advice right here OP. Don't listen to anyone else.

That's what I am going to do. Just researching best connection from PC to amp now.

Hahahahahaha... Oh wait, you're serious?
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Can you stop trying to give advice on subjects you know nothing about?
Sup Forums would do better without people like you.