Are wifi cards (1900AC) a meme?

Are wifi cards (1900AC) a meme?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Actiontec-Bonded-Ethernet-Adapter-ECB6200K02/dp/B013J7O3X0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

ask your parents permission to run a cable

if you can use ethernet or a MoCA 2.0 adapter to use coaxial to run your internet, far more reliable and lower ping

Depends on the use case. With 1gbps internet I rarely use WiFi because it's impossible to hit full 1gbps without being in the same room or using some crazy expensive mesh setup.

PCIe wireless internal cards are notoriously flakey. Be prepared to return that shit. Buy from a place that has a good return policy (Amazon Good, Newegg Bad)

Eight years ago Newegg had the best return policies in the fucking industry.

And then they got fucking greedy.

Anyone recommend me a wifi card with good Linux driver support?
I want to set up a ghetto home lab and fuck about with cracking WPA.

>MoCA 2.0 adapter
do these actually work?

I would just like to take your time for one second. What you're proclaiming to be Linux, is in actuality, GNU/Linux, or as I just the other day began to call it, GNU and Linux. Linux isn't an OS on its own, but actually another free component of a completely working GNU system fashioned into something proper by the GNU libraries, terminal tools and necessary system components comprising a full OS.

Quite a few computer users use a subspecies of the GNU system everyday, without realizing it. By a unseen chance, the edition of GNU utilized now is often called Linux, and the population have no knowledge that it is really the GNU system, made by the FSF.

There is in fact a Linux, and this population do have it installed, but it is but a portion of the system they use. Linux is a kernel: the part of the system that distributes the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an OS, but useless by itself; it can only function in the shadow of a whole OS. Linux is normally utilized in combination with the GNU OS: the whole system is really GNU with the addition of Linux, or GNU/Linux. Every one of the supposed Linux distros are really distros of GNU/Linux.

ok thanks

Oh man, they work great. I have older 1.0 adapters capable of up to 100mbps and they can reach max speed on a 75mbps internet connection with under 9ms ping to an online speedtest.

Had to get creative in my grandparent's vacation home (originally build in 1894, rebuilt in 1994, so phone lines and cable but no ethernet, plaster walls with a metal lattice are a total bitch for wifi reception). Works fantastically. I may swap out for MoCA 2.0 hardware which is supposed to be capable of up to 800mbps.

Just make sure to get a Moca PoE (point of entry) filter so the network you create out in your home won't leak out to the neighbors. It's a screw in little two inch metal filter that will block the MoCA signal from leaving your home. This will also reduce interference leading to higher speeds on your network.

here
One catch: If you live in a larger home and your builders put crappy filters/splitters in the wall that block MoCA's signal range, then it might not work. Happened in said vacation home on the second/third floor.

Most homes under 3000sqft will use a single splitter in the basement. If your splitter allows signals up to 1600mhz (1.6ghz) then you should be good to go. If not, it's a super trivial thing to buy on Amazon and change out.

>I may swap out for MoCA 2.0 hardware which is supposed to be capable of up to 800mbps
Bonded MoCA 2.0 is capable of 800mbps to 1gbps depending on quality of the coax and distances involved.
MoCA 2.5 should allow for 2.5gbps over coax. Though I expect the top speeds of this to be even more reliant on coax quality and distances involved.

If you've got the chance, wire your property up with CAT6a and you'll be good for 2-3 decades

My father just built a new vacation home. Implored him to run Cat6 for his own sake. He ran Cat5e.

Basically told him that it would be like if he had just run telephone lines in the nineties.

Is it dependent on the modem? I have a Cisco DPC3216 modem and I can't find any information or certification of MoCA compatibility. Fuck...

I would say that any wifi card is a meme since your PC should be next to your router anyway.

>wifi
>Linux
Hahahahahahaha. Good joke.

It's not dependent on your cable modem. You just need one of these to plug in near your modem and then one for each room in which you want hardwired internet.
amazon.com/Actiontec-Bonded-Ethernet-Adapter-ECB6200K02/dp/B013J7O3X0

Some routers or modems can have a built in MoCA bridge, but you can buy standalone adapters. The faster 2.0 bonded adapters are like $80 a pop though.

I have a 5 year old PCI wireless card that runs pretty flawlessly. Granted, my internet is already slow since my ISP has a monopoly in my area and charges obscene amounts of money for anything decent. It does okay. It's a Rosewill I bought on Newegg.

My father didn't wire the house with Ethernet cables (despite what I recommended) and he put the router in the most ridiculous spot of the house.

I'd move out but I help take care of my quadriplegic brother since my parents are too old to lift him.

thanks, I'll give it a shot

no

Actually most wifi cards work on linux nowadays however i have found ones with the atheros or intel chipset to work best

they are
I'm never able to get to anything higher than 300mbps with any of those ac shit

>Implored him to run Cat6 for his own sake. He ran Cat5e.
That's an impressive lack of foresight.
CAT6a has been a standard for a number of years.

Using what client device?

You can have a $1,500 enterprise grade access point and if you're using a 2x2 phone as your client device you'll be lucky to break 400mbps.

However, with that same $1,500 access point and using a decent 3x3 or 4x4 client device from 5-10 feet with line of sight and you should have no problems breaking 800mbps or faster.

>what client device?
as I told, by using any of those ac1900 certified rubbish of all brands. I've tried several tplink cards and some usb3.0 alfa ones as well. btw linksys wrt1900ac is what I've got as for server.

Yea that sounds normal.

You can get a unifi ac HD with DFS support and upgrade to a $200 4x4 PCIe card for your client. That would probably get 800mbps+ from 5-10 feet.

>sounds normal
why the fuck do manufacturers claim their shit cards can do 1300mbps then?

because the standard theoretically can in a noiseless environment isolated from all other radio signals when the router and the client device are inches apart.

marketing bullshit

Because it can in a clean room with zero RF congestion or pollution from 1 meter using an appropriately powerful client device.

You'll simply never see these conditions in real life.

I got a box of WRT310N years ago for $15. DD-WRT and run them as wireless clients. Work well.

You know I'm not far off from those test conditions since I'm using directional alfa patch antennas on both sides (the card itself cannot even detect any other ssid), placed less than a meter apart, getting -30 or so dBm of received signal power. And 5 GHz interference is out of question since all of my neighbors seem to use 2.4 GHz links.

Insulate your house with a faraday cage :p

why? I don't think anyone's maliciously directing a 5 GHz jammer exactly at my client antennas lol

Wi-Fi on stationary devices is still retarded.

Even weather radar can affect RF conditions.

Your house isn't even close to a lab test environment. It might be good for a residential setting but I'd bet $100 there is some inference from your own electronics but also just general RF interference from EMS, celluar, etc etc. Tons of sources you wouldn't easily be able to detect, but would still influence your ability to cleanly receive a 5ghz signal.

>weather radar
you've just dun goofed there
even the obscure c-band ones operate at 5.6 GHz while I'm at 5.1, let alone the laughable received power you'd get from a source far, far away

>isn't even close to a lab test environment
pretty sure it is

>there is some inference from your own electronics
yep, at quite low emission levels and totally different frequencies which are all filtered out at the frontend of my wireless card. absolutely no question that even the rectifier circuit in my led lamp emits at 300 kHz but no relevance to our case.

>but would still influence your ability to cleanly receive a 5ghz signal
no they won't

they use usb ones

On a 5Ghz band of a good router, and not tremendously fast internet, you'll be fine with a wireless card. I was on a network with another computer and we could both play battlefield with decently low ping. Got full 30-35 Mbps for torrents and that's about what I pay for. It was the onboard wireless though...

Having said that, ethernet or moca would be better compared to wifi, but some of the routers these days can make it a completely viable alternative

>pretty sure it is
Your speed results say otherwise.

Also the fact you think different spectrum signal noise won't effect you is laughable. The noise will interfere with your signal quality regardless of if it's on your spectrum or not.

Further background radiation alone will make your testing environment useless when compared to a true RF clean room.

Let's suppose I have one of those cards and an old spare computer.

How viable would be for me to build a decent all around router due to the computing power compared to a normal router? Adding things like firewall, vpn, torrent box.

That's what pfsense was built for.

Though id recommend wired connections whenever possible. If you want good speeds over WiFi you'll have to pony up for an expensive 3x3 or 4x4 802.11ac PCI card.

Is there really any difference in using a wifi card compared to just using one of those USB dongles? I'm currently using a laptop as my main machine but I'm going to build a desktop soon and I'll also be getting fiber soon but I'm stuck with using Wifi and I'm pretty far from the router.

Last time I read that pfsense didn't support WiFi properly.

Is it working now.

I'd use power line, but I live in an apartment so I dunno if I'd want to invest in it.

Fucking kek

>Is it working now.

That was supposed to be question.

Correct me if I'm wrong, since they are powered by the standard current of an USB port, I think they aren't that good for transmission

>Your speed results
I'm also pretty sure they're the result of absolutely garbage transceiver chipsets used in those cards, since the burst speed plots I'm seeing on my wireshark samples are spiky as hell

>the fact you think different spectrum signal noise won't effect you is laughable
it IS a fact and thinking otherwise is indeed laughable. learn to adjacent channel interference and intermodulation interference desu

>the noise will interfere with your signal quality regardless of if it's on your spectrum or not
kek, interference occurs only within the same spectrum. if you're supposed to talk about those spurious emissions that fall within my portion of the spectrum, such are well below the noise floor of any wifi receiver circuit at room temperature m8

>true RF clean room
no such thing and no need to begin with. you think all wifi products are tested in anechoic chambers?

>5V, 900mA isn't good enough for transmitting 100mW of RF power
when are we, 1970s?

you're right, it seems I can only remember USB 1.0 specs

Last I used WiFi it worked fine but I rarely use WiFi so it's not normally something I pay attention to.