Europe has had chip and PIN cards sine 1969

>Europe has had chip and PIN cards sine 1969
>USA still has to swipe

youtu.be/SSTMraoURco?t=22

How did this happen?

Yeah, i live in florida. Almost every place requires chip. We're late to the game, sure. But it's implemented.

Have you been to the US? They have chip and PIN.

Calling bullshit. Credit cards didn't exist in 1969.

Our credit card acceptance infrastructure is far older electronically and was geared around taking the track data from the card in whole, dumping it over a dialup connection, and then getting an approval or denial code. European infra was based on having a complex challenge/response between bank and card from the beginning. Our software and hardware often is not geared for this, and retailers are cheap and resist upgrading their software/hardware to accept chip, thinking the cost of upgrading will be cheaper.

A lot of big box stores have switched to chip acceptance as have all the major US banks, but some stores hold out.

They did but they didn't had a chip or even a magnetic strip

Euros had cheque guarantee cards since the 60's, which were later combined with ATM cards and were morphed into debit cards.

Whatever about 1969, chip and PIN has been the standard here since at least the early 2000s. I can't remember when swiping was commonplace and have never done it myself.

Was baffled when I paid for a round of drinks in a San Francisco bar and they fucking swiped my card and asked me to sign a soggy piece of paper. What the actual fuck, yanks? This was in 2012.

Also, cheques - are you guys still using them?

In Croatia, you still need a signature if you're using a credit card(can be both swiped or slotted depending on the POS) PIN is mostly for debit cards.
It should be similar in the rest of Europe.

We use chip dumbass

it's implemented but clearly not well

All i hear on Sup Forums is americans whining about how slow it is. Everywhere else shit is as fast, there isn't any waiting or bullshit. Over a decade ago when we switched over here sure cards would take a few seconds to authenticate at shittier retail locations but everything's as fast as you'd hope and has been for many years. Once US businesses have their shit more in order you guys will catch up to the rest of the world, change is a slow process but it'll happen.

>How did this happen?
They voted thrice for Bush and once for Trump. Figure it out

>I'm so smart, look at me!

>I'm so smart

Said no American ever.

You're still posting using technology devised in the United States

And you're still posting using technology devised by a slav.

I just got a card with a chip last month.

Which I am, btw, so thanks for the compliment

To put it out bluntly, European banks weren't seeking to cut costs as much as possible. USA banks were malicious as fuck and they would ask something like the state the bank was having it's headquarters in for money to "innovate".

95% of the money for said technology that EU has been using since fuck knows how long ago has been going in the deep pockets of greedy people who own said banks. 5% went towards maintenance. 0% went to actual innovation or improvement.

is it true you guys get something call a "paycheck"? literally a piece of paper you have to give to your bank ao you get your monthly salary?

is it true you can buy your rent with those antique things?

Direct Deposit exists you know

>implying the chip is any safer
It's just a pain in the ass that makes shit take even longer

of course it does. since checks are extinct for like 20 years and more. right? ....right?

is it also true you pay ever single garbage piece for 50c with your credit card plus interest because electronic Cash cards are too modern or something?

>even longer
>put card in
>Authenticating (3-6 seconds depending on POS)
>scratch balls in the meantime

Standing up must be hard for you, huh?

Stop making fun of us, of course a 60% white country is going to be 3rd world. I wish i was born in europa

60% I thought you were already under 50%

>have to either lose physical posession of the card for several seconds, or stand there holding it the whole time

Why do you have to fucking hold it?
And what would even happen to if you give it to the cashier? He'd swallow it?

Only for children. Old people are still overwhelming ly white so we won't be a minority til the 2040s

What the fuck are you talking about? Just about every bank offers a free debit card. If anyone receives a paycheck it's because they didn't choose to opt for direct deposit for whatever reason.

b-b-but...why would you want to do that.

>>USA still has to swipe
And it's such a hardship.
There are problems that need to be solved.
Swiping a card isn't one of them.

Yuropoors are cucked by mama Merkel, enjoy getting gangraped by muzzies faggot

>1:01 A cunt?

Since when do you need chipped cards to use a PIN? My country's only recently implemented chipped cards (Uruguay) but PINs have always been used and I've never had to sign after paying, except with one credit card provider that had retarded security measures.

My chip broke last week.

I fucking hate chips.

I fucking hate the chip. Transactions take 2 minutes instead of 5 seconds now.

Business would have to lower wages to implement it. You're not suggesting business owners cut into their profits?

Hahahah dumb eurocuck doesn't know how glorious capitalism works.

>Why does it take longer to roll out a service to a country 50x the size of mine! I don't understand it!

Why are Eurotards so fucking stupid?

The chip is just yet another placebo in credit card "security."

I have a chip, OP is a faggot

transactions billed as credit, even on a debit card, don't require the PIN here in the US
which is kind of weird, really

no one really bothers with checks unless they haven't bothered setting up direct deposit to get their paycheck or pay rent or whatever

same here
there's a few places that don't have chip enabled (despite the machine supporting it, so it's probably something back-end), but they're dwindling

it used to be slow as hell, but it's become nearly as quick as swipe with most places I've been
but only nearly

>plus interest
wew lad

there's also barely any reason not to use your credit card, as long as you just pay off the full amount every time and don't actually use it as money you don't have
fraud protection is pretty hefty, and it boosts your credit rating

i've never owned a chipless card, and have 'swiped' a card only a handful of times in my life
current cards don't even have magnetic strips any more
and i haven't even used the chip for small payments in years now (NFC)

am i in the future or what?

nah, just smarter than the average americuck

I prefer swiping and hate the new chip craze.

I would actually prefer to use my phone to pay for everything + use as ID so I can ditch the wallet altogether but with this adoption rate, it's not happening any time within the next century. We'll always be about 50 years behind when it comes to payment methods.

My debit card is contactless.Just hold it over the terminal till you hear the ping and then input your PIN.Ito doesnt take more than a couple of seconds.