/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

>New to /tpg/ or looking for purchasing advice? (hint: use the advice request template, it makes life easier)
pastebin.com/nBqTEbHn

>If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).

>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X, HP AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Recommended models and mod guide:
pastebin.com/jVSuE175

>Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

>xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

>EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

>Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

sagernotebook.com/Notebook-NP6850.html
amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T430-LED-Notebook/dp/B00BFFAWHK
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

first for t420s desu

Ignore the hpajeet shilling his 1366x768 tn laptop

seriously though the "portable" x series are thicker and heavier than the t4xxs series, how is it even a competition?

I can't wait to get mine.
amazon has it
Transcend 32GB SATA III

the t4**s have bad batteries, worse battery life and bad lifespans

Ignore thinkcucks pretending their indian x220/x230 produced shitpad is even remotely comparable to 2570p.

I have one and with an ssd it's lightning quick, it's lighter than my x230t and the lid actually has a clamshell and latch so it doesn't get fucked over. also the 900p is nice but the viewing angles are worse than the ips but you can get an alienware m14x r2 screen that is decent

lmao this guy again XD
thinkfags on suicide watch

they can have the ultrabay battery that is infinitely cheaper than the slice batteries here. also they stay thin even with the extra battery and don't have the cancerous protrusion of the 9 cell that ruins the portability of the x series even more

What if lenovo drones are paid to shill their products on Sup Forums?
Really makes you think, huh?

only talking about the main battery, they don't use regular cylindrical cells, they use thin square cells which have worse battery life and don't last as long

ibm thinkpads are ok, chinknovo aren't

agreed, but x220/x230/t420/t430 are chinknovo
And these are the shitty models i want to purge from this board. Noone ever should recommend buying this inferior overhyped trash.

I get about 5 hours of word editing though, lets face it, for the reduced weight you can carry and extra battery or two or an ultrabay battery for hotswap or even a charger

Sure, but we only shill buying used thinkpads, so Lenovo gets nothing.

Also, we hate Lenovo.

>cancerous protrusion of the 9 cell that ruins the portability of the x series even more
Have you ever actually used one? 9cell actually makes for better portability by providing a comfy grip. With the 6cell, it's flush with the back of the machine and you can't hold it nearly as well.

What models of HP Probook/Dell Precision or Latitude or Lenovo Thinkpad actually has a decent screen? I have a T420 with the 1600x900 panel. Its screen is hideous. Backlighting on it makes my eyes hurt over time.

I have a 13.3" chromebook with 1080p screen that is gorgeous, but of course has all the limitations of a CB.

have you attempted to put linux on the chromebook

I've used the 6cell tablet variant which is basically the same shape and extra size, it is a convenient handle but it's bulky and awkward. also, on most models it sticks out of the bottom too making them even thicker. imo thickness is more inconvenient than width and height

honestly, I think it's better to grab a used off ebay

It's a Chromebook 2 from Toshiba. According to the page that says if a CB is compatible with custom BIOS/Linux install, mine is partial. It's missing audio and WiFi has a tendency to drop out according to to people. The WiFi was supposedly fixed, but the audio really never will be as its proprietary stuff made by Skull Candy.

oh and plus I'm looking for an up to date corporate laptop I can repair myself as well as upgrade.

Blame price fixing.

W510/W520/W530 (Also T510~T530) - 1080p TN, better than most modern IPS
T420(s) - moddable 1080p IPS
T440p - First offical 1080P IPS
T540p, W540 - 3k IPS

This is the "I might be a poorfag but I still have some self respect so no eye cancer" list. If you have more than $500 I personally wouldn't buy a thinkpad. Just get any generic laptop with a dGPU.

Maybe i'm just weird but I have an old spare HDD i'm putting in and not a real fan of using other people's drives. I'm ok with no name at $30.

>imo thickness is more inconvenient than width and height
I don't think I could disagree more. I think thickness only really matters if you're trying to cram your thinkpad into a small backpack with a whole bunch of other shit so you need it to take up the least amount of space possible. When it's on your lap or another surface and in use, the thickness of the machine really doesn't matter at all, but the other dimensions determine how stable it is in your lap or how much desk space it occupies.

quints deliver truth

This.

HDX Master race

Yea I was looking at a Sager as they seem to be like the only brand that has god build quality,can be repaired/fixed by the user, and isn't $2500+ brand new. Link related (I know this is /tpg/ and this is considered a gaming laptop, but hear me out please).

sagernotebook.com/Notebook-NP6850.html

Laptop would be used for VM work, a little bit of mobile compiling and the nvidia GPU while weak can help aid in cuda acceleration.

the 14" isn't anywhere near the point of being inconvenient though. and if you don't need to fit it into a bag then why get an ultraportable? I'd rather be able to slip a thin laptop in with a couple of pads of paper and have the extra space for like a pencil case or my other shit. with a bag so small that you're limited to a 12" then chances are you aren't getting anything else bulky in there with a thick laptop

Post comfyPads.

amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T430-LED-Notebook/dp/B00BFFAWHK

This is fine for work/music prod? Thinking this is the one for next semester.

>amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T430-LED-Notebook/dp/B00BFFAWHK
it'll work but for music production, you're going to need more RAM. Otherwise your recordings will have a whining noise in them.

Looks like a shit deal tbqh

Also don't buy obscure brands, I don't care how well known sager is in the "tech community"

Looks insecure instead of comfy.

ok, is ddr4/5 worth getting?

Add another 4GB DDR3 stick and will be good.

>cancerous protrusion of the 9 cell

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>ddr4/5 worth getting

Well ddr4 uses less power to do the same if not more work than ddr3. ddr5 doesn't exist yet except for on graphics cards in the form of GDDR5/GDDR5X

how is Sager obscure? They're just Clevo rebrands.

thx ddr4 then.

Because of Windows? I like it, tho.

really

footprint you nigger

a whole .5" of thickness is nothing in a bag compared to 123 in.2 vs 97 in.2

26 in.2 of desk space is a whole lot more relevant than .5" thickness inside a bag

Added the CR48 and some toughbooks.
Also removed the troll picks.

>not owning an IBM ThinkPad Clown Car to bring a full LAN party with you in one bag

Jesus
for a little bit I was packing the W530 w/ a Pixel
If I want to clown car, I guess I can go with T430s, Pixel, X130e & Helix.

The X330 is listed twice.

Is it possible to passthrough NVS 4200M to a VM?

>LAN Part with no playable GPU.

what bag is that? i want one NOW

What are some uses of the expresscard slot on the t420?
I'm thinking about getting a 3.0 adapter, anyone else done this?

this may seem stupid but
i recently got an t60 that i'm currently using as a torrent seed box with an external hard drive, is there anything i can do about the shitty speed of the usb 2.0 port , also is it worth it adding two usb lan cards ( for a total of 3 including the on board gigabit one ) so i can setup a pfsense box in VM? ( my cpu support virtualisation )

nothing, don't bother

you could get an ultrabay hard drive caddy and stick it in there

cant find it where i live and ordering online is not an option, can it be done the ghetto diy way?

It's got a proper IBM type number but I have no idea what it is. You can find a few on ebay just by searching "ibm thinkpad bag".

fuck i was hoping it would be under 20 usd

>I'm thinking about getting a 3.0 adapter, anyone else done this?
it's shit

Genuine vintage IBM quality doesn't come so cheap, friend. I fucking love this bag though, well worth whatever you can snag one for. Four Thinkpads is obviously impractical, but just think how much other shit you can fit if you only pack one.

>ibm quality

nigga i just want a nice bagf where i can fit a bunch of shit together i have a nig bag which i use for my x220 which has like 2 departments

how much better is a
>w530
>ssd
>quad core i7
>16gb ram
>nvidia quadro

than
>t530
>i7 3610QM
>16gb ram
>nvidia 5400m

t530 would also have ssd.

w530 has 2 more ram slots, some have built-in screen calibrator for colors I think

and you can look up benchmarks of nvidia quadro k1000m or k2000m vs the 5400m

so it depends if you want 32gb ram, accurate colors, and graphics performance

egpu

is it worth paying several hundred dollars more for a new Thinkpad laptop over a consumer laptop?

>new Thinkpad

u dumb bro?

you shouldn't buy a new thinkpad and you should never buy consumer laptops

no

I want to cop an x220 or t420 with one of those i5 cpus from eBay

Is it a good student laptop? Would I get cred with the nerd chicks?
And could I run an older version of Photoshop or Paint tool Sai without it melting?

I'm thinking I'm going to dual boot her with Fedora (i3wm). Any distributions more recommended?

I thought you loved me, xsauc.

Is online shopping really not an option for you? Where do you live?

I don't want to buy a 4yr old $200 memepad that I'll likely need to replace within 2-3yrs. I don't buy disposable items when I need them for long term use, unless it's a one time thing out of a necessity.

>Is it a good student laptop?
yes
>Would I get cred with the nerd chicks?
no
>And could I run an older version of Photoshop or Paint tool Sai without it melting?
yes

would recommend looking for a *30 instead though

why would you need to replace it in 2-3 years?

Can do.
What's battery life then?
Could I get through a minimum 2 class periods of typing without the shit dying?

And shame about the chick thing. Looks like I'll have to hope my fascist turtleneck aesthetic goes well.

both models come with two different size batteries, 6-cell and the extended 9-cell which bulges out the back

depends on the condition of the battery, but for the *20 and *30's a good condition 6-cell will last about 6 hours and a good condition 9-cell will last about 10-12 hours

it would be 4 or 5yrs old already (3rd gen i5's came out in 2012). How much longer would you really use that computer, if you can afford a new one?

Last few questions
Is the 430 screen okey?
Is it any better than the 420s? If not what's the real advantage a 30 would have over a 20?

>How much longer would you really use that computer

...forever?

why would you need a new one?

no the t430 also has bad screens

*30 has better graphics and usb 3.0

Alright what would it cost me to replace a screen on a 420 for something less shit?

you don't

Then why aren't you still using your Pentium 4 era Thinkpad?

It's not like a car where you can nurse your 150,000 mile 20yr old shitbox into lasting another "100k-200k miles with regular oil changes every 3,000mi" and everything will be just fine.

How much better is the x220 screen then?
I'm really just interested in not giving my eyes cancer by using a super grainy screen

Your tier list is shit.

just it use it as is, spending only whats needed for it to do the job, or save more for a modern computer. This is like being concerned with buying rims for a $2,000 car. You don't. You bought it because you have little funds, so why are you wasting money on anything that isn't necessary? Maintain it, save up for a newer computer over the next year or two, and leave it at that.

No, I'm buying a pretty modern desktop rig.
But I still require a fairly rugged laptop on the go. Leaving me with the options to buy a Thinkpad or a Botnetbook. I understand a lot of the major pros and cons for both and they are at similar price points.

because I wanted battery life and usb 3.0

you think a brand new computer will last you 20 years? retard fucker, car tech and computer tech are not comparable let alone with that kind of stupid ass analogy

personally I can see my $250 thinkpad which I bought 2 years ago, lasting me another 5-6 years comfortably, ssd, 16gb ram, 10 hours battery life, usb 3.0, displayport

in 5 years I might want something that can power 4k monitors (assuming they get cheaper and more common) and there might be a new USB revision

where to get trackpoint keyboards outside of lenovo brand

dell latitudes/precisions, hp elitebooks

not another laptop
a standalone keyboard

none because that's dumb

ahahahahahaha

i'm saying a computer, new or used, will not be able to keep up with newer software forwever, regardless of how it is maintained, therefore, it's NOT like a car. Learn some reading comprehension.

I want a USB Type-C supporting TB3, lightweight, battery life, and a 1080p or higher ips display. Not really a combination I can get from a several year old computer.

>using mice
I prefer the trackpoint

is that 750ti?
I was dumb enough to get 960 4GB instead of 1050ti 4GB... now I'm forced to use DA-2 power brick.

I didn't say anything about mice.

There's no good desktop keyboard except the rare as fuck Tex Yoda.

Unless you wanna use
>rubber dome
or
>full size
buckling spring, which is also expensive as shit.

obviously 'forever' was an exaggeration

as was my car analogy

>I want a USB Type-C supporting TB3

and what happens next year when you want the next big bleeding edge tech? or the year after that? and the next year?

that doesn't seem to follow the same logic as