With open source software malicious persons can have a look at the code and find loopholes that can screw you

With open source software malicious persons can have a look at the code and find loopholes that can screw you.

Why is open source good to use in serious business again?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-source_software_security
techinsurance.com/blog/cloud-security/fbi-reports-more-data-breaches-from-disgruntled-employees/
linkedin.com/pulse/disgruntled-employee-wages-cyber-attacks-his-former-employer-hunt
evestigate.com/disgruntled-employees-can-be-insider-cyber-threats-waiting-to-happen-warns-fbi/
csoonline.com/article/2692072/data-protection/data-protection-165097-disgruntled-employees-lash-out.html
insights.sei.cmu.edu/insider-threat/2015/07/handling-threats-from-disgruntled-employees.html
cnbc.com/id/100512399
brinknews.com/dont-ignore-the-insider-cyber-threat/
gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Rapid development, peer reviews and thorough code verification.

The important thing isn't that the code is open to everybody. The important thing is that the code is open to you.

that all costs the company and wastes the money, also learning curve for poorly documented shit, also key developers can quit wheneve

With closed source software malicious persons can take a shit at the code, creating loopholes you won't ever find.

Why is closed source good to use in serious business again?

Also
>security through obscurity

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-source_software_security

Why make a thread when you can read scientific papers about the topic? Oh yes, because you are bored and just want to troll people on a board.

>that all costs the company and wastes the money,
I don't think you understand how the open source community works, user.

>also learning curve for poorly documented shit
Open source projects tend to be extremely well-documented because you rely on interaction from a community. Very unlike internally developed shit where no one even bothers with reviewing stuff.

>also key developers can quit wheneve
That's a problem when you hire developers too. Anyway, it's common for open source developers to keep maintaining their projects, because it's not intellectual property of any company -- unlike a company, where you quit and then never again work on that code, open source is open and anyone can continue to contribute when they regain interest again.

With closed source software, a disgruntled employee can make a backdoor that no one will discover and potentially ruin deployed code in an instant and completely destroying a company's reputation.

by your brainlet tier logic everthing discussed here on this website can be found elsewhere giving zero reasons for this website to exist, except that this website allows me to call you a pretentious faggot without repercussions

it's the lesser of two evils

Ma Windows 10 crashed again and I don't know why. I'm so angry, now I have to start a flame war on Open Source Software to come down.

Yeah, all these dead botnet companies like are sure destroyed by these leaks.

>things that never happened

you fuckers are pathetic, wanting to prove that open source shit that some hobbyist pajeet made is better than payed professionals from companies you hate because its fun to pretend we are edgy hackzors you jobless dweebs

>zero reasons for this website to exist
Aside happenings and memes, this site is pointless.

With proprietary software the NSA can have a look at the code and find loopholes that can screw you without you ever knowing or being able to fix it.

Ok I'll take the bait.

Your point was that anyone can find a loophole in open source. Well, anyone can close a loophole in open source, too.

>disgruntled employees never planted deliberate backdoors

techinsurance.com/blog/cloud-security/fbi-reports-more-data-breaches-from-disgruntled-employees/

linkedin.com/pulse/disgruntled-employee-wages-cyber-attacks-his-former-employer-hunt

evestigate.com/disgruntled-employees-can-be-insider-cyber-threats-waiting-to-happen-warns-fbi/

csoonline.com/article/2692072/data-protection/data-protection-165097-disgruntled-employees-lash-out.html

insights.sei.cmu.edu/insider-threat/2015/07/handling-threats-from-disgruntled-employees.html

cnbc.com/id/100512399

brinknews.com/dont-ignore-the-insider-cyber-threat/

>implying backdoors don't exist

NSA haven't exposed enough times to destroy the epic denials of the shills.

open source creators never invite bosses to play golf

>payed
I think you're the Pajeet, Pajeet.

Also, some of the most popular open source projects are actively maintained by paid developers and billion dollar companies are contributing with manpower and financially to these projects. See Linux, ffmpeg, Docker, KVM etc

Not him but how do they make money with all those open source software? I mean if they invest so much...

You can look at the source for Windows if you sign an NDA and pay or get paid a shit ton for it. There are literally thousands of people who know what it looks like but have no connection to Microsoft

Lower development cost can increase the profit.

gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html

How? Thats only the part while developing , what happens when they finnish it and start giving it for free?

they don't give it away for free, they make their own product and sell that

>security through obscurity
literally the basis for encryption

So people differentiate between open source and free software, isnt it kind a gay to take someone's open source projectmake some modifications and start selling it as my own ?

They're usually not selling software.

Lets take Google as an example:

Google run a bunch of data centres around the globe. Google might be interested in improving how their content can get to their clients faster, for example they've shown that 80% of all short-lived HTTP flows can fit within 10 TCP segments. They do smart stuff and figure out that they can drastically improve user experience by increasing TCP Slow Start window from 2 TCP segments to 10. Google then pay their own developers to develop and test this on a bunch of servers, and then they get it included into the Linux kernel so everyone can get faster Google-related traffic everywhere, not only from Google's own servers.

oh damn you, too much terms that i'll have to use wikipedia to understand... short-lived flows? tcp segments? i need a book

I actually have a job in a corporation and can safely say that your precious 'paid professionals' don't know jack shit about what they're doing most of the time.
I've seen a bank who has been calculating interest incorrectly for years until they decided to do some random refactoring and found out about it

wew so that proves what? that humans are imperfect? k
we were talking about open source approach to software

Short-lived flows = You connect to a server and the server sends you information and you both disconnect after a short time period. This period is usually defined as less than a second.

TCP segments = You application sees a network connection as a contiguous byte stream pipe from one end to the other, but under the hood, the data is segmented into packets which is then packet switched over the network fabric.

Anyway, the point of the story is that companies contribute to open source projects because it is in their economical interest to get stuff deployed around the world. It might be network-related features or mechanisms (as in the case for Google and Linux), it might be support for standards or encodings (in the case for ffmpeg) etc.

>wew so that proves what? that humans are imperfect
That proves that the "paid professionals" argument is just a cop-out.

Companies are so much big that they enforce their own standards and change the old ones, finance political parties, work with military... internet got fucked and subdued pretty fast when you think about it, we are entering the dark ages

>Companies are so much big that they enforce their own standards and change the old ones,
As long as they make those standards open and available to the community, it's all good.

>finance political parties
Lobbying is illegal in most parts of the western world, but for some reason it's not in the US.

>work with military
So?

>internet got fucked and subdued pretty fast when you think about it, we are entering the dark ages
The internet is decentralised and relies on open standards, so no, it's not. Of course, the recent developments on net neutrality is worrying, but still, it's pretty open.

In a sense that great majority of internet traffic is flowing through a handfull of corporations doesnt sound so decentralized to me

I apologize, by military I meant USA military specifically which is an bandit-tier organization that starts wars everywhere so the corporations powering them can make more profits and also subdue whole countries and rob them of their resources. When you are in deal with that kind of organization then what that tells about you.

>In a sense that great majority of internet traffic is flowing through a handfull of corporations doesnt sound so decentralized to me
It's more than a handful, user. American ISPs may only be a handful, but on this side of the ocean, most of the tier-1 ASes are in fact large universities and heavily regulated telecom companies. Even in the US, some of the 1-tier ASes are still American (and public) universities.

/site

Nah

Why would you sell software when anyone can make it?

>not making your code impenetrable
No wonder why youd want to hide it