Text Editors

Are there some good alternative text editors out there?

I've been using Notepad++ for a while, but is there any alternatives to it, what do you use and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

wikileaks.org/ciav7p1/cms/page_9535650.html
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_Windows_software#Programming
youtube.com/watch?v=dP1xVpMPn8M
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Sublime Text is the best, unless you're a terminal diehard, in which case you're using vim.

(g)Vim

>Proprietary text editor
>Proprietary anything
Are you serious?

What is the cons to sublime?

It costs, unless you just abuse the unlimited trial or just download a cracked version.

Notepad++ is so good I wish it was on linux.

OP you already found the best one.

gnu emacs, spacemacs

Or you can use the CIA license wikileaks.org/ciav7p1/cms/page_9535650.html

Atom
inb4 it's shit

what do you pay for in the licensed verision?

>Electron
It's shit.

The software license.

what features comes with the full verision that the trail doesnt have?

Nothing.

The only difference between trial and licensed is licensed won't bother you every so often to buy it when saving the file.

does it do anything better than notepad++?

How about you fucking try it?

Its easier to just ask them why i would use it.

this, having it for free actually makes you realize its not that special either.

I'm also a noob that has been looking for a new editor, OP. I tried vim the people who say it's easier than emacs are lying. Emacs actually has a much better learning curve. You can be productive in Emacs RIGHT after you finish their little tutorial. Don't use vim

what about spacemacs, is there any real reason to use it at all?

Isn't that limited to 10 users?

No, just learn emacs, don't try to turn it into vim unless you're already used to vim

regular notepad you dumbasses, nobody cares about your tab completion or w/e

well thanks for the recommendation.

I used it 2 days ago and it worked.

Now I'm curious to try it out and to see if Sublime actually reaches out to some sort of an activation server or if the license numbers are a gentleman's agreement.

>kate
>gedit

Atom. It's Sublime but free and overall nicer to use.

what if don't want to read anymore?

Their learning curves are different. Once you understand the fundamentals of vim you quickly become very productive.
While Emacs is easier to use right away, its learning curve continues climbing on into infinity. There is an absurd amount of functionality built in and everything from the ground up is completely programmable. It took me a lot longer to feel like I truly understood Emacs, compared to Vim, however, once you do there is no turning back.

What if you just turn the page?

>Page 57
>turn to page 57

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_Windows_software#Programming
Check the wiki next time
This question could also have been asked in

Yeah sure but you don't need most of emacs' functionality anyway, I'm already coding much faster than I did in Vim

It's also laggy.

Is there anything I could do to replicate the lag? Have genuinely never come across this.

i hate electron too, but atom is the best we have right now, or vscode. im not counting bullshit neckbeard hobo editors, they are irrelevant.

>vs code
>using a piece of M$-developed software
>ever

load in a large textfile

I use editpad because notepad++ craps itself with large files.

why would i not use top 2 most convenient FREE editor? because its made by a company i dont like?

Because knowing M$ it has some heartbleed-esque backdoor that provides root access hidden in plain sight.

Emacs

Does not respect your freedom

Spacemacs is just a different config for GNU Emacs.

>Javashit
>500MB and 1 minute for it to load

vim, or even better neovim

Kek

I've started using vim since last week.
I installed nerdtree and coding ruby(RoR).

What should I do next?

read and agree to my code of conduct

Windows Notepad.

Specifically, notepad.exe copied out of Windows 95.

>Does not respect your freedom
Oh my gosh [[insert_non_GLP_compatible_software_here]] is raping me in my sleep. REEEEEEEEEE

Atom

That and support development, but it's been stalled for some time now

Don't listen to these losers. Sublime is great. Every now and then when you save your file a pop-up says you need to buy a license, but you can just keep hitting cancel and use it forever.

Plus it's actually worth the $60 or whatever it costs for the license. It's literally the best non-CLI text editor on the planet.

GNU Emacs is the only answer.

gedit

kys

all of the stuff itt is mainstream, pleb shit. especially notepad++, its so bad. Install acme. its the future.
youtube.com/watch?v=dP1xVpMPn8M

Why does everything form Plan9 have this autistic pastel color scheme?

Because if you want to change it you have to prove that you are a competent programmer.

>I autistically believe whatever comes from Stallman's dick
kys

It's the objectively best one. Rob Pike asked programmers what colors would be the best and this is what turned out to be the best

Shows what kind of programmers he asked.

um... best ones?

>editors that have been around for the last 40 years are hobo irrelevant
>my "literally what" pajeetware running in an instance of a webbrowser is the superior option trust me :)

I tried it today and it still works...

Autistic children.

nano a best

Kate is much better than notepad++
Don't know why you haven't heard of it.

Programmer's Notepad.

I use it mainly because it's lightweight and fast. It's not plugin hell like other editors.

no it's fucking not. i tried to switch to atom from sublime, but it's so goddamn slow. i can understand that it's nice that you can customize it more or whatever, but who gives a fuck?

how is that color scheme for autists or children... if i hear autistic children i think of dark themes

Nano isn't even the best terminal editor.
I can see why it should be default over vi as you can use it without any training and everyone who prefers vi can change the default themselves.

But nano is not a good editor by any means.

>thinly veiled shitposting thread

Here's the list:
>vim/emacs
Useful editors, but with a learning curve. Also choosing one makes people from the other camp automatically hate you.
>notepad++
Low-tech notepad replacement. Superseded by pretty much everything.
>sublime
Editor with many options, but proprietary. Stallman will hate you for using this.
>atom
OMFG WE CAN'T MAKE DESKTOP PROGRAMS USING HTML/CSS/JAVASCRIPT CALL THE COPS It's actually not that bad of an editor, with many options. Not proprietary in contrast to sublime.
>Visual Studio Code
Proprietary, may or may not be botnet. Frequently shilled on Sup Forums, don't fall for it.
>kate, gedit, and other such linux text editors
Basic bitch editors in case you need absolutely 0 help in programming.
>others
Either specialized for one task only or too obscure to give a fuck about.

Take your pick.

>macvim w/ powerline

Gedit

>Stallman will hate you for using this.
Good. I hate Stallman.

for what licence is that? sublime 2.0.2?

okay. I went on their website, downloaded sublime 2.0 and entered the whole key

>thank you for purchasing

kek

>Ctrl+F
>Geany
>0 results
Sup Forums, why

>>kate, gedit, and other such linux text editors
>Basic bitch editors in case you need absolutely 0 help in programming.
Sounds like you never used either.
Kate is closer to what most people spend years configuring vim to be.
Granted, the learning curve is not that steep, but I don't think it is a bad thing that most people can instantly use an editor and then learn a few extra things to improve the experience.
If you want to argue against them, you could claim that they come with too many features out of the box, where with vim, you build more yourself, but calling them basic while praising atom and sublime makes you seem like a shill.
Saying you don't know certain applications is fine, if everybody switched editor once a year, a lot less work would get done.

>downloading a full webshit browser to edit text files slower than with vim

uninstall nerdtree and just use netrw

And how many hours of configuration would I need to get my emacs editor to act like this?

It's lightweight and not extensible so it works the same way everywhere.

Also, you can't even quit vim without looking it up.

VSCode is a free software (MIT), dear retard