Void Meme

Why do people use this meme? I've not heard a single good thing about it.

Other urls found in this thread:

lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

they think the systemd boogyman will get them if they use anything better

Why?

Just what do you think you're doing, m8?

Don't know why but a ton of Russians, Mexicans and Brazilians use it.

?

have you heard any bad thing about it?

you don't hear anything about it because it's relatively obscure and has a small userbase. as for why people use it, runit and having the ability to build from source.

You couldn't find some random screenshot of Void on your preferred search engine?

It's better than Arch in every way. Arch is bloated to the core. So the question is, why do people use Arch?

because they're stupid

In what way is Arch bloated?

>packages aren't split, unlike Void
>boots slower than an equivalent minimal install of Void, due to systemd
>kernel is shipped with every module under the sun, unlike void (inb4 compile yourself: few compile, as proof of the constant praise of the AUR)
>many more cases
And from an Arch dev himself who recommends Debian for actual non-bloat and freedom.
lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html
>It has never been a minimalist distribution. Splitting packages is rare compared to other distributions, and dependencies aren't made optional whenever possible.
>It has also never been a distribution offering much user freedom / choice compared to Gentoo and even Debian.
>Arch is the *opposite* of a user-centric freedom. The opinion of users has no weight here. Only the developers have an opinion, and there aren't voting systems as there are in Debian.
>Arch has *never* been minimalist... a Linux kernel with every module available and every feature enabled at least when there's no non-bloat related cost, feature-packed/complex GNU tools, nearly all optional features enabled across all the packages, etc.
>What hypocrisy? When have you seen the developers state that they care about user freedom, or that the distribution is based on minimalism?
>Community memes don't define the distribution, technical choices by the developers do. It's clearly not based on what you say it is, and *never* has been. It has always used significantly more disk space and a measurable amount of additional memory than Debian and especially Gentoo as a consequence of keeping things simple (again, from a development perspective).
If you like rolling release, freedom, control, and non-bloat, Arch is in fact not a suitable candidate. And in regards to any Arch "philosophy" - well, the devs says enough.

autism

I've been using Arch myself for 8 years and I already knew that Arch was dictatorship. Anyone who thinks Arch devs are doing it for the users are deluded. I still love my authoritarian distro though.

>isn't gentoo
then it's gay.

Are there any compatibility issues with Void? Since it doesn't use systemd.

>I still love my authoritarian distro though
Yes, and the question I asked was "why". If you're comfortable with Arch, you'll be comfortable with Void. There is no downside to upgrading, and you'll be free from systemd and have a perfectly functioning system for it. Systemd only exists to make life easier for devs, but it's inherently anti-user. Arch didn't adopt systemd out of any benefits to the base system, it was adopted out of convenience for the lazy developers.

why are anti systemd posters always massive spergs who think anyone cares to read their wall of text posts?

What about systemd makes it anti-user? Just genuinely curious.

Oh, I use both actually.

Can I install non-free font packs on void?

it's a containment distro like arch, it keeps autists occupied and will never be used for anything useful

I work on Wall Street and there has been some talk about switching from Gentoo to Void because they'd have to spend less time compiling.

people who use it to experiment with other oses are fine, people who use it unironically and act if they are superior to others for using an obscure os are dumb

Answere my question REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>Wall Street
>Gentoo