Previous thread: >>60632865

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

>New to /tpg/ or looking for purchasing advice? (hint: use the advice request template, it makes life easier)
pastebin.com/nBqTEbHn

>If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).

>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X, HP AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Recommended models and mod guide:
pastebin.com/jVSuE175

>Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

>xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

>EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

>Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Reminder that huelel can't even do the one thing it has over the x220/x230 right.

Fourth for friendly reminder to ignore the 2570p shitposter[s?].
As long as you're asking for advice or support, posts about the HP EliteBooks should be fine, just don't shitpost. It eats roughly 15-30% of the thread.

What's wrong with HP elitebooks?
Are they solidly built?
Because they look really nice in pictures.

People will argue about the keyboard, aesthetic, build quality, and overall everything except raw performance.

If you need a 12 inch quad core it's your best bet - but it can't compete with anything except the 12 inch X series.

It's not the machines that are bad themselves; they're good. It's just this shitposter that had recently come to derail discussion using the meme that is Pepe.

However, if you are looking for serious discussion, feel free to post.

>browsing slickdeals
>see yoga 720 for $1.2k
>4k IPS
>active pen - maybe tilt support? who cares
>16gb upgradeable ram
>gtx 1050
>a fucking 512gb nvme drive

meanwhile a 1.2k thinkpad gets you a shitty 1600x900 tn panel with integrated graphics

what the fuck is lenovo doing?

Dedicating the best screens for the worst build in the market.

still can't understand their reasoning.

the yoga and their flagship $3000+ P51 are the only laptops that gets the 4k screen.

My X40 needs a new battery. The current one (extended 8 cell) lasts for about half an hour. Am I better off making it a home server?

The T41p I bought a week ago seems to work flawless with Lubuntu 14.04 and the 9-cell battery lasts 6 hours straight. Maybe next week i'll buy a PATA->SATA caddy and give it a SSD.

>Lubuntu 14.04
Why haven't you moved to the latest LTS? Is it too heavy for that system?

>New battery for the X40
Not worth it unless you try your luck with a chink battery. But for some reason it seems to be one of their worst products, I can only speak for myself, though...

>14.04
Its 700mb, fits nice in a SD card and it was the ISO I had at hand. Using it as a liveCD for now as I dont have a hard drive for that machine.
The only thing that bothers me is that it doesnt have the Radeon drivers, something that a fresh install should cover.

>chink batteries
Yeah, they are a last resort for me. Sadly the X40 uses both 18650 cells and some flat cells.
It'd be sweet to refresh the cells and get the 7 hours battery life it promised when new.

I'm not quite sure if it's even possible to refurbish a battery, but in any case it's not recommended. You might give yourself a nice, toasty housefire in the worst of cases...

Given the laptop was threw away, I don't stand to lose much.

Any tips in converting it in a home server? The two USB2 ports might be useful for external hard drives.

You do realize you're retarded?
This HP list doesn't count turbo clocks, which you've obviously added to your garbage tier t430.
i7-3840qm has 3.8GHz turbo clock and you're fucking retarded if you think extra 200MHz is worth increase in power consumption and heat.
kys trash

Can i fit an x230 fan in an x220 tablet?

Ive heard they run better, and the fan in this thing is shitting out on me

>comparing 14,1" full notebook with 12,5" subnotebook
stay mad, thinkcuck. Nobody gives a fuck about your abomination of thinkpad with dogshit tier screen.

I want an IPS panel for my X200 but I can only find Viewiz-branded ones. a couple forum posts tell me they're the same as BOE, just rebranded.

can anyone confirm this? or am I buying Chink shit?

USB 2 speeds are a bit slow and might be overloaded if you ever happen to have too much clients on the server. Otherwise, you should find documentation on Google for hosting specific services, such as perhaps game servers.

>60654234
Oh, it's you again. You don't relent from derailing the thread with your shitposting, do you?

Nah if you have the cash then pick up a battery for it and take it out to Starbucks.
Also Lubuntu is such a meme. Debian unstable + XFCE is the way to go for old dankpads.

>tfw $25 won't fall from the sky so that i can replace my T43's obxnoxious fan

>Lubuntu is such a meme
Care to explain?

Who are you quoting, newfag?

>Implying he deserves a reply
Oh, well, here it is:

>being an idiot
>comparing standard notebooks to subnotebooks
>being this incompetent to lie about turbo clocks

>not deserving a reply
typical /tpg/ retard. Worse than Sup Forums and Sup Forums combined.

i bought a e470 with an i7 and POWERFUL 940mx for $1000 and nobody can stop me or convince me it was a bad idea

Should I?

Good for you. Better than seeing the thousand "I bought x laptop for x amount, did i do good?"

god bless u

>ThinkPads are the best supported laptops in 9front because ThinkPads are what the developers use.

why arent you running 9front on your thinkpad?

is there any way to replace the nvidia 1000m gpu on a thinkpad w520 other than completely replacing the motherboard with a 2000m already in place?

seems like it's impossible, but just wanted to check for sure.

Pretty sure that's impossible, yeah.

I'm assuming it's soldered. look for someone who does reballing jobs, they usually advertise as YLoD and RRoD repair.

it's probably gonna be expensive though, plus finding the chip. and it might crap itself.

2570p has a very bad screen, how can the HP fag defend this?

2570p stock screen is better than stock x220/x230.
And it can always be replaced with IPS screen if you want your own eye cancer.

Has anyone care attempted the T430u meme?

It's an x1 carbon with two RAM slots (16GB max instead of 8GB, and not soldered), and it's as thin as the Carbon at its thickest, so the footprint is nearly identical. The only issue is the top bezel is god fucking awful looking, but it has a ThinkLight (the only Ultrabook with one), and the stock screen has to be replaced to get 1600 x 900.

What is the best thinkpad with reasonable hardware to do number crunching?

>what is the best computer to run computer programs
This is how retarded you sound

anything with a CPU capable of doing whatever task you have in mind?

just look up some benchmarks.

Still looking for someone who has a Thinkpad Helix 3xxx.
I've tried all sorts of ways of getting the drivers I need, but the only way to find out what drivers I need is by looking at a similar computer.

Thanks for your permission, Sup Forums owner.

did you install the wacom drivers

>derailing the discussion
>by talking about 2570p capabilities
>thread literally about business laptops
stay stupid, cuck

>considered a 2570p
>weighed my options and made many comparisons
>went with X230 because it was a better choice

>considered a real wife
>weighted my options and made many comparisons
>went with 2d anime waifu instead

Do any laptops, Thinkpad or otherwise, have a mechanical keyboard?

Just bought a laptop even though I'm a NEET/hikokomori with a nice desktop. I have no use for it.

What are some fun uses for a laptop apart from anime in bed?

You can shitpost on Sup Forums from bed.

>2570p stock screen is better than stock x220/x230.
Accroding to notebookcheck's tests, the x230 IPS is much better than the 2570p TN.
>if you want your own eye cancer.
What the fuck does that even mean?

I just want my laptop to be readable in the sun.

I'm talking about tn vs tn
stock 2570p tn is better than stock x230 tn
>What the fuck does that even mean?
x220/x230 IPS screen is known for:
1. Having 3x increased power consumption
2. Developing burns in the inner layer of LCD screen after long periods of use
3. Having "ghosting" effect which affects Gaymur(TM) experience and watching movies/browsing net
it also hurts eyes even at 50% backlight, so have fun using it for more than 30 minutes.

>readable in the sun
Do you work outside?

>I just want my laptop to be readable in the sun.
then what stops you from replacing 2570p tn with x230 ips screen?
You hate having more corez, is that right?

>I'm talking about tn vs tn
>stock 2570p tn is better than stock x230 tn
Okay. But X230 is sold with also an IPS option. Is 2570p sold with an IPS option?
>Do you work outside?
Yes.

read
but if you work in hot environment in full sun you might want to go with x230 instead. Using quad core cpu in high temperatures is not fun.

I didn't know those screens were compatible.

Theres an t420 in a e-waste container at my workplace. Its outside and its been raining all day. Do I swipe it on my way home?

yes you subhuman trash, go and dig into the trash bin
Sup Forums at it's best

>Putting a quad core in a subnotebook
>Overclocking it because it didn't burn down your house fast enough

I use this keyboard. Now I'm one of you!

Strip it apart as far as it will go
Dry with a cloth
Leave in the sun/hot room/airing cupboard if you Americans have them
Toothbrush and isopropyl alcohol to clean any corrosion
Leave it to dry for a day or so

Free t420

Alternatively: slap an i7 in there or flash coreboot and stick an ivy bridge i7 in it

Market segmentation.
You're basically paying for the brand.

I have this device and the build quality is better than many recent ThinkPads. In fact, the build quality varies a lot from model to model, there's little significance to the series (ThinkPad, IdeaPad). There are ThinkPads with shitty build quality and IdeaPads with excellent build quality.

Where can I get a cheap ThinkPad in this shithole called Brazil? Most sellers won't ship to here and it seems overly expensive and in bad shape on the local market.

Your best bet would probably be a forwarder that ships to the huelands.
Are ThinkPads really screwed in the local market over there? I mean, you won't get them in mint condition that often, but I'm curious about it.

sorry, but I've never recommended overclocking 2570p to anyone.
It's this t430 trash who's autistic enough to OC mobile cpu.

The t/w could probably cope with the heat though. A 12" with a QM or XM can't handle the heat under any intense CPU load.

>A 12" with a QM or XM can't handle the heat under any intense CPU load.
And you're saying this after having any experience with 2570p?
x230 won't handle such heat with stock cooling for sure. 2570p? I'm using mine with i7-3740qm and I've never seen it throttling during any workload. And for example 5 minutes ago I've stopped playing contagion (~70% CPU load, everything set to ultra, iGPU 100% used) and it never went higher than 90C dg with fan at 80%.

and I didn't note it but the laptop is docked...
so this is how wrong you are.

How the FUCK do I disable this fucking middle mouse button SCROLLING MODE nigger BULLSHIT

I keep rolling back the driver, and it keeps fucking saying "No, you must embrace our shitty driver, so that middle mouse button clicking isn't worth SHIT" and reinstalling the shitty fucking driver that fucking kills my fucking SOUL

AGH

Are you using Windows? In Control Panel > Mouse, there should be an option specifically about disabling scroll. Then on Task Manager > Startup, disable all the background keyboard applications. Reboot. There, no more scroll, and no more unnecessary background processes.

Anecdote for the people putting a lot of effort into upgrading older systems with quad cores:

My friend has a W701 with a 920XM. I have a newer system with a 5500U. In Cinebench, the dual-core 5500U gets almost the same score as the 920XM (actually a bit higher).

>it's happening
If anyone considers upgrading 1600MT/s RAM to 2133MT/s - do it, if you gaym on HD4000.
I've just tested L4D2 between 1600 and 2133MT/s RAM (same timings, both DDR3L) and I can note about 25% boost in FPS under 2133.

Thinkfags need not apply, because there are no DDR3 thinkpads supporting 16GB (2x8) 2133MT/s configs, unless they fall for the 8GB meme. Personally tested thinkpads (x230, t430) require CL13 2133MT/s RAM to use this mode, otherwise it will throttle to 1866MT/s or 1600MT/s.

>require CL13 2133MT/s RAM to use this mode
and there are no CL13 2133MT/s 8GB sticks on the market.

yuo clearly don't understand difference between 1st gen core i7 (known to be overheating shit) and 3rd gen core i7 (actually very similar in performance to p50 xeons)
But I wouldn't expect too much from dumb anime poster.

pic rel

Just bought a T440P

Looking at adding

>1080P IPS screen
>32GB 2x16GB dimms
>256GB m.2 SSD
>1TB SSD
>T450 trackpad
>i7-4700MQ
>9 cell battery

>32GB 2x16GB dimms
wrong, not possible on haslel platform.

derp 16gigabutts it is then

Has anyone here dismantled an ultrabase 3 before? I'm wondering is it is possible to add in some cooling fans and a few vents.

yes, I did. 2570p fag here
There was enough room for me to integrate 16GB USB drive and SDR module with disconnectable antenna

>Nah if you have the cash then pick up a battery for it and take it out to Starbucks.

If you have money to piss away at Starbucks spend it on something useful instead. Coffee is a meme. I buy bulk caffeine pills via Amazon and don't interrupt my life with expensive sugary rituals.

bonus picture, LTO4 tape drive connected via HP SAS controller via eGPU>EC module to a x230.

Nice!

you attached a fkin SDR to it? RTL-SDR? LOL

yes

gay

Cool, thanks for that. Time to dig out my spare fan collection

Gaming laptops do.

I found a T60 for 50€, should I buy it? I've never owned a thinkpad before but badly want one.

just returned an x230. the top was almost destroyed and i was jewed on my gamble on the keyboard. i've used a thinkpad edge at school and those keyboards feel like shit and permanently feel dirty and disgusting.
>60654540
wouldn't run 9front on a 16:9 thinkpad since theres nothing but the vesa driver

>90C without overclocking on a mid tier QM

You're digging your own hole buddy. T430 has no such issues.

>Comparing multicore ULVs with a quad core

Stop that. At least use a proper Xeon to show that it's equal when OC'd. Ill post my cpuz bench in a sec.

4910 exists. Get that and OC. MUCH better than the Shitty 4700 if we're talking about maxing out.

Oh shit nigger what are you doing?
>Toshiba T3100
You seriously are not meaning THE T3100 from the year 1986, are you?
Otherwise this picture is 1000% true
10/10

>mid tier
Are you mentally retarded?
Mid tier is i7-36* serie. i7-3840qm is the highest non-xm 45W CPU.
XM CPUs are 55W only because of ECC support and some other irrelevant shit like 50MHz faster iGPU. CPU is clocked extra 100MHz in xm. This doesn't add 10W more.
And please stick your shitty T430 up your ass and stop comparing it to 12,5" subnotebook.
>Stop that
Stop what? This guy was just comparing ULV 5500u to 1st gen 55W i7. Are you too retarded?

Enjoy your housefire.
Elitebook more like elite piece of shit

>lying about 2570p overheating in every single /tpg/
>always being proven wrong
>always reposting same shit anyway
Here's your 1 peso, pajeet.
I feel so sorry for you.