/dpt/ - Daily Programming Thread

Dlang-can is dead edition
old thread: What are you working on Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

a.co/ghq7tWS
courses.csail.mit.edu/6.042/spring17/mcs.pdf
github.com/miloyip/game-programmer
cs.princeton.edu/~appel/modern/basic/ml/extract.pdf
gameprogrammingpatterns.com/
en.wikibooks.org/wiki/X86_Assembly/GAS_Syntax#Operation_Suffixes
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_API
cplusplus.com/doc/)
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Posting before the bump limit
Delete this shit, you stupid fuck.

gotta collect all that reddit karma senpai

learning rust even though it is inferior to Haskell

fuck off I was one post before the bump limit

posting AT the bump limit is also wrong, you must post the new thread AFTER the bump limit, i.e. 311 or later

not OP but you are pathetic kek, get a job stob worrying about what a good boy you are on Sup Forums

Wish I was programming.

Nothing but SQL for me lately. It's fine enough, I guess.

That doesn't matter. It was before the bump limit, so the thread is invalid and should be deleted.
This sort of retarded attitude leads to thread wars.
"It was just 3 posts early". "I don't like the image the OPs have been using, so I'll post 10 posts early to make sure I beat him". "Well, I'll post 20 posts early".
I'm not just making shit up; this has happened many, many times before.
Ideally, you would actually let the old thread fall down the board a lot further as well. Posting quickly just truncates discussion.

> >having rules

let me guess
it's 2016?

>and should be deleted
this is just silly fetishisation
yes OP made a mistake but there's no reason to make a new thread right now, it's not like he was 20 posts early

Janitors have been known to delete threads posted at 309, if they actually get off their ass.
The thread is invalid. Get rid of it.

well the old thread is at 313 now, so that's that. To all of you who are not busy with crippling autism, what are some resources for best practices in setting up a large project in C?

Stop crying and concede to the better interests of the daily.
You can post the picture you wanted to use in this thread.

I'm a self-taught dev going onto 6 years of experience now. I've read that math isn't that important for programming, but I feel like that advice is only for code monkeys or front end "developers". I've been wanting to get into more advanced topics like compilers, game engines, algorithms, and coding exercises (like /r/dailyprogramming), but I just feel crippled because I lack a solid math background.

Has the internet lied to me? Math is important?

>well the old thread is at 313 now, so that's that.
That doesn't mean shit. If you allow pre bump-limit posting, it sets a precedent that leads to thread wars.
If you weren't such a massive newfag, you would know about them.

I don't give a shit about the image. The one OP posted is fine.
I only take objection to the image if will have an effect on the quality of the thread (e.g. Sup Forumsshit, redditshit, traps)

bump, also interested in this. I am currently a golang developer myself but I consider it a pleb language and want to move on

>Math is important?
No shit

It's not important if you "program" web pages and CRUDs, but it's important for actual programming.

of course math is important user, especially for many algorithms. But it's less about actual math and more about thinking mathmatically (i.e. logically) about the problems you are trying to solve. luckily there are many resources online to learn, khan academy is the first one that comes to mind. But to be clear, any real programming does require a solid math foundation.

please hush sweetie we're talking about programming now

Math isn't important unless you're applying your programming to something that needs math.

A "code monkey" is someone who only programs.

The key to becoming a good programmer is to use programming to accomplish tasks related to a greater discipline, such as physics simulations or financial analysis. If the discipline needs a certain subset of math, then you need to know that subset of math.

You don't need to just generally "be good at math".

Well, I'm a professional gameplay programmer so I've had to teach myself just basic things like vector arithmetic, but I've gotten to a point where it's not as fulfilling or challenging anymore, and now I want to tackle more advanced programming, like game engines and compilers. But for both of those, algorithms are important if I want to make something that doesn't suck ass. I just started this book last night, in the hopes that I can at least become more proficient in math and then be able to do something like Knuth's Concrete Mathematics;

a.co/ghq7tWS

I did Khan Academy but it feels like I'm moving too slow. Keep in mind that I didn't graduate college and was doing liberal arts, so my math background is pretty weak. I need baby's first math to start out.

> I need baby's first math to start out.
I really think this should be in the OP posts: courses.csail.mit.edu/6.042/spring17/mcs.pdf

No. Shut up.

a lot of good books here
github.com/miloyip/game-programmer

Uni fag studying comp sci here. I recently took a class on building an interpreter for javascript using Scala. It was my first exposure to Scala and I really liked it. I decided that I would teach my self scala over the summer and go through 99scala problems and try and finish them all.

Is it worth it to learn Scala/functional programming or is it just a meme? I was also think of trying to pick up a little bit of Haskell as well

>What are you working on Sup Forums?
I've done homewerk. It just werks :-)

Computer science isn't programming, though.

That's pretty fucking useful, although I saw books on UML and Design patterns and I wanted to laugh.

Ye, there are some memes there, but most parts are pretty solid as far as I can tell. gof & uml faggotry is immortal, heh, sometimes I wonder if anyone actually read gof from cover to cover

dragon book -> cs.princeton.edu/~appel/modern/basic/ml/extract.pdf
gameprogrammingpatterns.com/

>"""Design Patterns"""
List discarded.

Pretty cool looking board, did you have to make in class? Or is it something the school had?

What is pushq and movq in linux prog.s?
In Windows I would get push and move.

>Reading more than one algorith book.

It's a retarded (aka A&T) way of saying the operation is 64bit: en.wikibooks.org/wiki/X86_Assembly/GAS_Syntax#Operation_Suffixes

I've started learning C# in preparation for university starting this September, it's pretty fun.

Rule of thumb.
>Any topic you pick and you are in doubt whether this is required or not, just learn that topic only when its immediately required.
>Never waste time on thinking that I would read in advance.
>You implementation is going to be nightmare no need to waste time reading things which are not required in near time.

>lisp
>haskell
>c

any -best-in-their-own-tier- books about relevant and non-meme languages?

>ConsoleKeyInfo

PAAAJEEEEEET!

anyway i can generate .s in linux without that fucking syntax?
i mean wtf it look so irritating.push(q)

-masm=intel

there is no "one book to rule them all" for c++, one should read everything to get good: sutter, alexandrescu, bjarne, etc. several good books here I don't know good c#/java/js resources though, perhaps kind anons could post a few

Thanks.
Do you know assembly x86?

Well, I can read it.

No need to get upset user, i'm white.

What girly hands you have, user.

well, he's using a mac after all. what did you expect?

I wouldn't hire a programmer with manly, redneck hands desu. It suggests that he spends his time on various irrelevant activities instead of programming and reading

Rewriting a couple ZNC modules in C++ because modperl is broken in mysterious ways.

did the poo in loos force you to be a .net c# programmer?

That's a HP 2560p user.

kys, tranny

fair enough. HP is also gay though so my point still holds

Nope, Some american lecturer who I met at the open day to my uni.

yeah in first semester we had to solder that shit. Now in third semester we programm a little with it.
The prof is basically doing it """only""" to explain how the architecture werks n some really really basic assembler shit

use char.IsDigit() or int.TryParse(), faggot

Learn Lisp.

Yeah, we had a whole "microprocessor" course dedicated to register interaction and assembly. Only 20% was actually C programming. We were not lucky enough to build our own board though, we just used an MSP430.

someone redpill me on pointers

so the "point" of them is to just use less memory?
instead of having a program that uses 5 variables that each have their own address in memory, you can have just 1 as long as you correctly point to that address while changing the variables content?

Why don't you read a book or wiki first?

what kind of programming background do you come from senpai

i did but they give you an in depth technical aspect of it, i want a street talk version, am i understanding it correctly or not?

ive been programming for a year in js, lua, python, and php. Never used pointers before

Writing a job posting website in Wordpress and Angular.js, it's fun :3

Have you ever used references in PHP? It's the closes comparison I can think of out of those languages.

No. They're just addresses.

I will now instruct you on how to pass OOP 101 to 401 using C#

Step 1. Learn what an object is - attributes and methods

Step 2.

foreach (var eachObject in listOfObjects)
{
doSomethingOnEachObject(eachObject);
}

Now you have a Bachelors degree in computer science. Grats

>foreach
>not map

map if for FP course.

i will be fired next month so i will probably have the summer free

what are some ideas i can make over the summer that will make me rich enough to not have to cuck for wage anymore?
i do C, C++, Ada, VHDL, Matlab, R, and Lua

Learn how to use a game engine and shit games out on steam

Its easier said than done senpai

>being a gaymen
any other ideas? i can literally not do design a thing

what's a good c++ textbook to self-teach with for a reasonable price on amazon?

>Buying books

Register an LLC and hire pajeet to do your programming for you

Start taking hormones, buy knee-high socks and cute dresses. By the end of the summer, you'll be able to find yourself some sugar daddy if you're cute enough.

If system calls if for linux, Is win32 api is for windows?
or glibc == win32

programming isnt the issue i think, visuals, gaym idea, world-design, characters, music and whatever other resources are needed is

I meant in general instead of games.

>visuals
>game idea
>world design
>characters
>music
You know you are girly and sjw lord.

> Is win32 api is for windows?
No, NT kernel has a separate native API - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_API , Win32 API is implemented by user32.dll and friends.
> or glibc == win32
Yeah, sort of.

fuck off nigger

right

Textbooks are not reasonably priced in my opinion.
I was taught using a book called "modern c++ development" which was fine, but learning C++ is not something I would spend too much time on.
I would start by reading the tutorial (cplusplus.com/doc/)
And then read documentation from the libraries that is relevant to your interests.

Anyone got that png with random projects scaling from easy to hard ?
Very bored.

Project 1: P vs NP
Project 2: solve the halting problem
Project 3: the HURD
Project 4: strong AI

I need a structured approach to learning things, where a concept is introduced and then example programs are given, etc.

That's how I learned Python, more or less, but I haven't used it in a few years.

disregard, this document looks like the perfect thing.

thanks.

>a concept is introduced and then example programs are given
this is literally every book on programming, ever

I wanna program shit but I dunno what to do.
I was thinking of doing free lance work for Linux users (when Gentoo finally let's me mount a new hard drive) for small cash, custom jobs or whatever the correct terminology is.
Thing is I don't know the language that Linux works in and I don't know where to learn it.
I do know C++, but even my noob ass its aware of bloating.

you mean bash scripts and shit?

Yes that thing
Again, new to this shit
But I would be happy just writing small custom software for people
Unless that's not really a thing

It's not, really
Unless you want to make websites

you can write C and C++ on Linux, nothing's stopping you from doing that if you want to make proper software rather than skiddie scripts.

Skiddie scripts?

Do you want to write actual software or do you just want to write shell scripts that automate the work you do in the terminal?

You can get a job in bash scripting but you're not gonna be writing software, you're gonna be fixing people's broken and/or uncooperative computers.

Do you have grub (the menu that lets you pick a version of Linux to boot)? If so, try this to be thrown by necessity into a pretty good intro to bash scripting:
>arrowkey to the kernel you want to boot
>instead of pressing enter, press E
>in the text file that pops up, navigate to the line that says something like "ro quiet splash" at the end and change only that part to "ro 3"
>press F10 to start

If all goes well, you should start up with a full-screen terminal and no desktop environment. This is the perfect setup to learn your way around bash.

Some basic commands:
>help: list basic commands
>man __: view a built-in manual page on command __
>pwd: show absolute path of current directory
>ls: list files in current directory
>cd __: go to directory __
>cat __: display contents of file __
>cat > __: start writing into file __ (press ctrl+d to finish writing)
>less __: display contents of file __ in a scrollable buffer
>__ | __: run command __ and pipe its output into __'s input (e.g. "help | less" would run command "help," pipe its output into "less," and thereby give you a list of basic commands in a scrollable buffer)
>sudo __: enter your password to run command __ with administrative privileges (but only if you're an admin account)
>su: enter root password to get a shell with administrative privileges
>su __: enter __'s password to get a shell with his or her privileges
>sudo su: enter your password to get a shell with administrative privileges (but only if you're an admin account)
>sudo su __: enter your password to get a shell with __'s privileges (but only if you're an admin account)
>exit: terminate the current shell and return to the previous, or to the login screen if invoked at top level
>ctrl+c: cancel a currently running command
>ctrl+d: terminate an input stream

Which is worse?
Ricing vim or ricing tmux to achieve the same effect?

>cat > __
>what is the best text editor and why is it cat
>mfw

What's the most useful program you have ever written? How long did it take you? What language is it in?

hello friends, how can I learn fpga programming?