I'm working for a design studio and a client has asked us to look up the possibility of implementing digitally...

I'm working for a design studio and a client has asked us to look up the possibility of implementing digitally recognizable codes like pic related into their print material. Those "Snaptags" in the picture don't only look bad though, the company that created them continously demands money for it (Of course).
I've been doing research and I found many different companys providing such services, but I've come to a dead end, because our client wants something completely new and not a service that multiple companies use.

Also they want it to run trough their app.

Do any of you know a good image detection/QR-type software, that would, with some tweaking, be able to recognize simplified codes like a dotted line as in pic related?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CueCat
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

a better looking example would be those new spotify song tags.

Also, to clarify: We're supposed to give an estimate of the cost and to search for ways to do it, so the fact, that i'm not a programmer, or can't do it myself is not important

forgot pic

bump

"tweaking" isnt gonna do it, I certainly couldnt find any premade way of doing this but as a programmer I could probably code something up that works in a few days with OpenCV, maybe more because I never did image recognition before

Fuck off

>look up SnapTag
>"A SnapTag mobile barcode is like a QR Code that doesn’t require an app"
>click on demo
>tfw

Their website is a gold mine. Also that how it works without an app:

> SnapTags can also be used by standard camera phones by taking a picture of the SnapTag and texting it to the designated short code or email address

i.e. it probably even used less than QR codes

>Code Ring™

> implementing digitally recognizable codes
Does anybody ever use them?
pls seriously, i'm not talking about their use in storages or something like that, i mean those boards with "Scan me!" signs.

Could you elaborate?

Do a barcode for the lols

OP here, the use they are planning is kinda cool: putting the code (i.e. a intersected line) below an address in an article about something and scanning it with the app starts maps/apple maps/here maps and creates a route.
So people don't have to type the adress.

Got you senpai. So much more convenient to download app than to put in address

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CueCat

Create your own font and make the app have ocr

This is profound memery. Nobody used QR codes, but companies were scammed into thinking they were gonna be the hot new thing and kids would send dick pics with QR codes stamped on their dicks.
And you would see the fucking things everywhere. And all the tech bloggers would jerk each other about them because if bug corporate is doing it, it must be big.
Then it went the same way as pogs and 3d tv.

just do a stylized form of an existing barcode standard

(you could make this radial as well, though you'd need to adjust the scanner to look for a radial line pattern instead of a linear one)

radial as in like this, y'know, with the dots/dashes being sized and spaced to encode the barcode, which i didn't bother to do

>.m.
NORMIE GET OUT REEEEEE

These are definitely one of my favourite threads on Sup Forums.
I work in EMT so I deal with completely different brand of idiots, usually the physically-dangerous ones but Im amazed everytime one of these pops out.

I can't actually fucking imagine that you can be this much disconnected from reality.
What on earth is wrong with marketers? The world would be much better without them.

OP please post more about the mindbogglingly stupid requests from your customers.

I did something like this in a Computer Vision workshop.

Check OpenCV, it would take you 2 days to implement this (in python at least). Is not really a hard thing to do.

could you tell me, which software this is, this is helpful

top part made in inkscape
bottom part is "barcode scanner" on f-droid
posted picture made in gimp

thank you, I'll try that myself

Looked it up and tried finding what I could need for 30 minutes but without any prgramming knowledge i feel pretty lost there.
Can you give me some details on how this could be done so I can understand it? I'm sorry for the dumb questions

the problem is though, that it has to be implemented into the app. I can show your solution so make it clear that it's possible using existing software, but not which steps need to be taken to implement that into their app. I can't contact their programmers either right now, so thats not an option..

If they try to sure you just get the writer from Arrival to sue them for using their alien language, then get the bar code people to sue Arrival, then get the rotary dialer patent out and then claim prior art. PROBLEM SOLVED.

barcode scanner (on f-droid) is free and open source, and there are other examples of foss barcode scanners out there to research with and potentially borrow code from, if the license allows your particular usage

it's worth noting as well this solution specifically () isn't really that good, it needs to be scanned by aligning the reader exactly along that line, this simple 1D barcode had no means of self-aligning like other kinds of codes (such as QR)

i would seriously just consider using QR, they're popular/recognized, there's plenty of reference code, they scan fast and accurately in shit conditions, etc
they're made for this kind of thing

the thing in OP i wouldn't have guessed it was scannable, hiding a code might sound like a good idea for a marketer, since it doesn't make a logo look uglier, but it's meaningless if people don't scan it because they don't realize that they can

since a picture is worth a thousand words
tell me, which of these is more functional/recognizable?

okay, so i maybe should have given you some context for what they want to do. They're making travel guides and they contacted us to overhaul them visually. They also are starting their app development and we cant convince them otherwise so we might as well work with it.

They had the "idea" to put normal qr codes at the end of articles so it opens a summary in the app, which has no use, so i came up with the adress thing. As some user said, downloading an app to navigate to a place instead of typing in the info is not convenient, but in a travel guide you're working with a huge amount of adresses because of all the travelling tips.

They send the snaptag thing with it but wanted to included it in their logo on the end of the chapters, but i like i said in this post putting a dotted line at the end of columns that dont really stick out but serve as "qr codes" sounds like a good deal to me. Their books have an """""intellectual""""" approach, and target 40y old women of the upper middleclass, so there might be the possibility that they read a "did you know you can use the app to navigate easily to all those places"-page and do it, Or they might not even know how to take a photo with their phone, so if the codes dont interupt the layout too much its just an option and they dont even notice.

I'm just trying to twist the qr thing to something usable.

this would be one of few situations where a 1D barcode might make more sense, since it can be stylized to looks like an audio waveform without hurting it's readability much

i spend more time than i should have on this
it's a real, working barcode, though my scanner doesn't like it, probably because it's inverted (white bars)

you could make a 1D-barcode-as-dotted-line work better if you can sort out alignment
maybe color-code it, like with red dots either end of it, or something (your program can use find red dots, draw a line between them and use that as a guide)
it's a computer vision problem you'll need your programmer to work out, which won't be very trivial (though not impossibly hard, either)

thats a good point, i actually thought about making the start and end point slightly thicker so it looks like a stylized route as well.

you could do that, but i doubt that would help the software side

But making them different coloured would, like you suggested, is what I'm trying to say

yea, something that is easily recognizable as a "beginning" and "end", by a computer

Yep, thanks for the help man.
I think I'll propose this strategy and try to back that up with image recognition topics I found on the Open CV suggestion from earlier.
I can't use the barcode app on my potato phone but I'll experiment trying to recreate what you did at work tmrw

np

just shove your shit into an aztec barcode and call it a day