/sqt/ - Stupid questions thread

New /sqt/

Rather than creating gorillion threads for questions that can be answered in 1-2 posts, post them there.

-take at least 10 seconds to enter your problem in a search engine
-don't bump the thread, you are not entitled to an answer and a lot of people look for posts without replies

old:

Other urls found in this thread:

eurogamer.net
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bochum
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wuppertal
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bielefeld
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonn
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mannheim
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karlsruhe
github.com/arduino/listSerialPortsC/tree/test_usbSearch
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_file_input/output
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_streams
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832416804
jet.com/product/Windows-7-Professional-SP1-64bit-OEM-System-Builder-DVD-1-Pack/9bcca7a2a984421193065cfdad68a32a
pastebin.com/Z2CZmjLE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

my phone says the SD card is "not inserted" when it is. Linux PC sees it, Windows starts to install drivers but then it's invisible. Am I fucked?

>Linux PC sees it

check if with fdisk to see if the partition table is consistent.
Put it in a card reader and from windows do a chkdsk /f on it.

I recently reformatted my computer from windows 7 to 10, and I chose not to keep any of my old files. When I looked at my hard drive space for the computer, it was exactly the same as before. I looked at what was taking up space and there's a huge file saying titled "windows old" with 300gigs of my old stuff.

Not sure why it was kept when I picked to remove it when I reformatted, but is it safe for me to just delete the file?

How do I get past this?
Someone plz

eurogamer.net

add this to adblock
##.fc-pinned-message-container.fc-root

this is the gparted output. On Windows fdisk says it's RAW and it can't read it

>but is it safe for me to just delete the file?

Of course. You can still scavenge any stuff you might need then delete the rest.

There are plenty of ways to wipe free space if this is a concern.

Didn't work unfortunately

*windows chkdisk

my bad

well works for me

in uBlock Origin

My phone is an LG V10 (VS990). I've had no problems with it for the past year and some change, but today it became a brick. It was working, froze, and shut down. For about an hour after this, I tried restarting it several times and a few times it would vibrate and show the booting screen, then go black again. I tried replacing the battery; that wasn't it. Now, I can't even get it to even try to boot, it's just constant black screen. The guy at the phone store said his best guess is the processor is toast.

My first question is, is there anything I should try to fix it or is it just a lost cause?
If it is just a brick and I have to get a replacement V10, is there any way to move over my old memory onto the new one, or recover the files from it? I didn't have the foresight to make a backup even though I know better.

well shit

install testdisk (available for both windows and gahnoo+linux) and check if that can save anything from it.

I'm trying to use an old monitor, it worked last time I checked but it looks like it doesn't get any power from the cable right now.

Any ideas/suggestions or should I just trash it?

is there a way i can batch download a list of web pages complete with their images?

example:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bochum
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wuppertal
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bielefeld
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonn
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mannheim
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karlsruhe

and so on

i tried a few chrome addons but they never grab the images. httrack either doesnt grab the images or tries to grab the entire website

is it worth plugging in case fans?
how much of a difference will it make in terms of temperature ?

use wget and write a simple script that just wget's each website

just do:

wget --recursive en.wikipedia.org

and you will download the entire website

will do. thanks for the help user

hot systems (with high TDP cpu and/or gpu) need case fans, otherwise they just overheat and shut down.

I have a PC that can survive the winter without case fans, but during summer I need to plug them in.

I'm using uBlock, but I imagine the filtering lists for both work the same way?

guys the sound on my motherboard is somehow fucked, i hear only buzzing and nothing else even though my pc says everything is working fine.
do i need to install a sound card? bear in mind im a complete noob at everything so im not exactly sure what to do

mobo: M4A79XTD EVO
pls help

>gorillion
As someone who identifies as a Gorilla, I find this offensive.

Currently doing the foil-trick tuneup on my PSU as recommended by the gentleman in the last thread sporting a tripcode, thanks for the tip!

wget works. thank you my friends i will not forget your assistance

Do you need to take signals and systems before digital signal processing?

anyone else waiting for vega? also i love chicken nuggets

Also are you sure it's not because you didn't visit 5 articles?

So what can a ULV processor handle? I'm considering a new laptop that has an i5/i7u and wondering if it'd be able to take the workload.
Typical job is 15-20 layers in PS for drawfaggotry with 20 tabs in FF for refs

Hey Sup Forums,how to compile
github.com/arduino/listSerialPortsC/tree/test_usbSearch
on windows 7?

It's easier in linux which I'm more used to but will be using windows for a project I'm working on with my mate.

What's an email service I can use for a script to send email from one of my cloud servers to my personal email account?

Do I even need a registered email account to send email from a script?

Is there any advantage to using DisplayPort or HDMI over VGA when using a computer monitor?

Better video quality since it's interference-resistant.

You should always use digital displays with digital interfaces if available.

-digital interfaces provide support for higher resolutions
-if you connect a digital monitor via VGA, an analog transmission, you have to convert from digital to analogue then back resulting in extra work and possible performance loss
-better picture quality, no need to "auto-set"

An RX 570 4GB is enough to use with a 2560 x 1080 Ultrawide FreeSync monitor, or should I save more shekels and go RX 580?

Also, if going 580 is the case, there would be too much diference between 4GB and 8GB at this resolution?

Thanks nignogs!

go for the 580 8gb faggot 4 gigs to render that resolution another 4 gigs for game quality

There's a way to check if an element is part of a set without exposing the element, with a small margin of error. It's how Google Safe Browsing supposedly scans every URL you type but """doesn't invade your privacy.""" I forget what it's called. What's it called?

You can't actually purchase either right now. Your options are 1060 3GB or wait and race the minerfags

or the 1060 6gb id recommend the 1060 6gb but the 580 is better

What's the deal with 3TB HDDs? Are they safe to use for backups?

yes, if youre going for backups id recommend a trusted brand like: seagate

Not where I live.

3rd world shithole, hardware is very expensive here, the taxation is pretty high.
There's not a lot of minerfags willing to take the risk, even though bitcoin's prices are high as fuck.

So most computer stores has RX 500's cards in stock here right now, I just have to pay a lot more than you.
It just seems that there's no RX 570 with 8GB for sale, probably to not fuck up their shit price ranges.

What are some good books/resources to learn C++?
Do you need to learn C first?

My computer keeps crashing to blue screen, browser tabs will randomly crash, etc.
Most of the errors are related to paging or RAM, but I replaced the RAM and it didn't fix the issue (Also ran memtest on both old and new RAM, no errors on 4 passes)
Then I thought it might be the HDD because of paging/driver errors, but I tried a different hard drive and the same things keep happening (but less often maybe).
It'll sometimes run for a whole day without any errors, sometimes it won't make it to the desktop without crashing.

What the fuck is going on? Is this my motherboard finally kicking the bucket?

It's hard to say really.
Best C++ practices these days rarely touch on C, but it's important that you know it for when all the old stuff leaks through.

is there a way to install c++ redistributable without admin rights?
Or install it on a flash drive?

Are the two different other than from the additions of C++?
Isn't it just C with classes, or is there more to it than that?

How do I hide root to watch Netflix on Android?

C++ is a really big language.
It may have begun as C with Classes, but now it's C with Classes, RAII, Templates, STL, Lambdas, Move Semantics and much moreā„¢.
Jumping into C++ expecting C with Java-style OOP would be a mistake. So much is added that by the end, it comes out looking nothing like C.

What does Sup Forums think of curved screens? My 22" monitor is getting old and I'm thinking of either getting a single 27" curved monitor or a 24" dual monitor setup.

Okay folks, I'm here with a mistery. For some reason my r9 390 is not performing as expected, no matter the setting on any game. It gets 59-60 one verything instead of stable 60. I saw some Afterburn readings while playing and seems like I get stuttering even with VSYNC OFF.

Also, for some reason Afterburn started to give me BSOD even after fresh reinstalled so I can't use it anymore.

Some idea? Thanks who take the time to awnser me.

If you're so close to a large enough monitor you need the curve to fit it into your field of view, go for it. Otherwise you're slightly distoring the image for no reason at all.

Wow, fair enough. Thanks.
Is it safe to see C++ as a different language to C altogether then?

21.5" is the sweet spot for 1080p. You'll notice the lower PPI if you """upgrade""" to 23.8".

Programming newbie here. What does standard input output mean? Is it basically the, apologize me if this is the incorrect term, "syntax" or "dictionary" of the programming language that has all the "commands" and their "logic consequences"? So basically #include loads the programming language itself? Am I right? Anyone can explain what it does? Second question is what stdlib.h is and what it does, and why must it be preprocessed?

anyone know why this c++ isn't compiling? using mingw with notepad++, and it just returns exit code(1) with no error.
cd "$(CURRENT_DIRECTORY)"
"\C\MinGW\bin\gcc.exe" $(FILE_NAME) -g
//cmd "$(CURRENT_DIRECTORY)\a.exe"

the thing is, i've gotten it to work perfectly with c, and the method is exactly the same except it uses gcc.exe instead of g++.exe (see below)

cd "$(CURRENT_DIRECTORY)"
"\C\MinGW\bin\gcc.exe" $(FILE_NAME) -g
//cmd "$(CURRENT_DIRECTORY)\a.exe"

anyone know what the problem is?

how can you even call yourself a computer /user/ and not know what stdin/out mean?

Sup Sup Forums!

I'll put some heatsinks in my 1080, but I need to know one thing: apart from the GPU and the memories, are the other parts that need heatsinks just those yellow and red? Or do others need it too?

>gcc.exe
Use g++ instead?

I think so. The C++ way to do things is rarely the C way to do things.

Have you ever used cmd or a shell before?

#include is a preprocessor which tells the compiler something as it's compiling. #define is another one.
literally stands for Standard I/O, which holds the class library of standard IO classes.

top one should've been g++. it doesn't work with it for some reason, i copied the wrong code.

stop using netflix, enemies of freedom

also there are a gorillion of "hide root" apps, even some root managers feature this options.

I don't know what you're talking about, I just started taking those shitty online computer lessons.
I used a cmd a lot of times but I don't know what that has to do with my question.
>#include is a preprocessor which tells the compiler something as it's compiling. #define is another one
Yes I understand this.
> literally stands for Standard I/O, which holds the class library of standard IO classes.
So basically what I said in is right? And it doesn't answer what an stdlib.h is.

Buying a tablet due to travel

what makes the Asus Zenpad Z500KL so much cheaper but stats wise just as good as the other top gun tablets?

about to pull the trigger and buy one, pls help Sup Forums

stdlib is Standard Library. The same concept as stdio but has much more general and fundamental functions and resources.
Look up the standard library- it's pretty essential to C.

Is it possible to backup atom settings/plugin like you do with vim config?
I want to do something like push them on github and when i reinstall them, clone it on fresh installation and install all plugins at once?

>So basically what I said in is right? And it doesn't answer what an stdlib.h is.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_file_input/output
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_streams

That's what standard input and standard output are.
The text result that pops out of a command line utility when it runs is the standard output. And whatever you type while it's running is the standard input.

When you #inculde , you're including the declarations of a whole bunch of useful functions for using standard input and output.

c's stdio also does file access (abstracted as streams like stdin/out/err)
one could make a program without it, but it'd be a pretty unique program

Thanks guys.
Would you say that #include is basically like a "compacted" "command"? Like, what is implied in the #include "commands" could be "expanded" into several "lines" of "programming"?
And what would happen if I somehow disable those things to load when I start "programming"?

The C preprocessor replaces the #include statement with the contents of the included file before compilation begins.

Is there an applet (or something similar) for cinnamon that is similar to the "activities" button in gnome? Im on antergos btw

Do you know any free partition recovery software? With no limit on how much data you can recover.

Best android music player?
Bonus point for OSS.

Is programming for a Japanese company in Japan any different from the programming we're used to? I mean, do they use kana/kanji in their codes? What differences are there?

enjoy nonsense varnames

UPDATE
I tried compiling the C++ program from the command prompt and got an error:
"The program can't start because libiconv-2.dll is missing..."
I'm running this from a flash drive. C compiles just fine but C++ doesn't.

The language itself is the same anywhere. The differences would be in the comments or identifiers- basically anything that is meant to actually be uniquely understood and recognised by humans.

What wifi card to upgrade a Dell Inspiron's with the smaller wifi card (AC-3160) to?

Also what the size terminology is and if there are any brick and mortar stores that sell laptop wifi cards

What's the character limit for replies/posts?

recommend me a 1080p projector for movie watching.

>went to a BBQ last night for Memorial Day
>watched Pearl Harbor and Independance Day on blu-ray
>sub-woofer was so powerful I teared up during the epic and sad moments

can i take advantage of my dynamic IP and assign a public IP to every device in my network?
can a router even demand multiple IPs from the ISP?

hard mode: can i have multiple IPs on a single device?

if I'm running a win server 2008 machine, is there a way I can export a log in a way similar to an RSS feed so I don't need to actively log into the server to check statuses, I can just view them on a small feed

Trying to get data from one phone to another. Host phone cannot get root. Are there any sms+mms backup things that actually work with group texts?

no

Is there a difference between these?

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832416804

jet.com/product/Windows-7-Professional-SP1-64bit-OEM-System-Builder-DVD-1-Pack/9bcca7a2a984421193065cfdad68a32a

the jet.com one seems oddly much cheaper, especially if you use the 15% coupon

put some thermal pads on the yellow, green, red and besh color, blue parts are made to run hot

4 days ago i started experiencing a small command prompt window popping up in a fraction of a secound and then disappearing again, it tabs me out of games if i am in fullscreen too. Anyone know what it can be? It happens too fast for me to see anything.

I found a Bitlocked USB in a public library, how do I get in it

I'm building a PC. Are these guys legit for getting my Operating System from or should I go elsewhere? They're crazy cheap right now, but I was wondering if buying from them is a smart thing to do.

is it dangerous to use the internet with a computer plugged directly into a cable modem without a router?

I think my reply is above the character limit so I just put it in a paste bin. Would appreciate it if someone could help me with this.

pastebin.com/Z2CZmjLE

When I'm listening to music or watching videos my speakers are fine, when I try and play a game they start making a weird kind of creaking/buzzing sound. What's up with that?

How easy is it to pirate Windows 10, what are the risks, etc?

Many thanks, user! :3

Download official Windows 10 iso.
Install
Your done.
You get a small watermark in the bottom right and can't disable the ads on the lockscreen.