When the topic of air cooler vs AIO comes up, people always mention the topic of reliability and 'points of failure'...

When the topic of air cooler vs AIO comes up, people always mention the topic of reliability and 'points of failure'. Aside from the Corsair H100i leaks a few years back, have any of the AIOs had similar problems?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eSOcUnn1mtQ&t=354s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Anyone? I'm trying to decide between the cost/reliability of a heatsink or the aesthetic/performance of an AIO

I'm mostly an air cooler user myself but I've used some aios in the past without problems but ultimately gave up on them because I didn't want to think about them failing at some point. They seem pretty reliable these days so really just get whatever fits your budget or if you're getting a windowed case and aesthetic matters that much to you go with an aio. That is if form factor isn't a limitation.

i have corsair h105 for 2,5 years. still werks. but the pump noise is terrible (and always was). really you need water only if you have very small case. otherwise just buy NH-D15

all in one coolers are
>more expensive
>larger noise producers
>less efficient at removing heat
>able to fail catastrophically

but they do have one advantage in that they also are
>low profile at the cpu area

but that's it

>le grand macho exists
>Noctua exists
>better performance that AIO
>AIO eventually gets all it's water in the loop heated up and doesnt perform nearly as well as in the short benchmarks.

>didn't want to think about them failing at some point.

That sounds like it was your own anxiety.

How bad was the noise?

>less efficient at removing heat

From a physics standpoint that doesn't make sense. There's so much more mass to hold heat and you can remove it away from the source.

I think you're biased

>better performance than AIO

Source?

>From a physics standpoint that doesn't make sense.
the pump is also adding heat

I dont like the whole idea of overcomplicating the system with very little benefit and also a possible point of catastrophic failure. Also no idea how long the pump serves.

I would consider getting one for my GPU though.
Cooling the GPU with a small CPU AIO and a bracket seems to provide massive benefits.

>Source

>AIO eventually gets all it's water in the loop heated up and doesnt perform nearly as well as in the short benchmarks.
I refuse to believe somebody is this retarded.

youtube.com/watch?v=eSOcUnn1mtQ&t=354s

Not really anxiety so much as they really only last for ~5 years based on manufacturer warranties. Whether that's because of pump failure or loss of liquid through evaporation. Either way I didn't want to worry/think about it and I can reuse air coolers for a lot longer.

what is physics. Water does have a higher thermal capacity meaning it takes longer for it become hot, why pools are still cold on a hot summers day, but once it reaches its thermal limit it can't keep absorbing heat and then evaporates. In the case of aios they reach a thermal equilibrium because they're constantly looping the liquid and have fans to dissipate some of the heat.

It's a closed loop, there is no evaporation, because there's no where for the gas to go, so it condenses and turns back to a liquid.

5 years is a long time as well. That's about the life of a high end PC. They are really built with thick walled tubing that has shrink wrap around the barbs. Once the pump goes, your temps sky rocket and your PC shuts down. That's it.

Leaks are so rare now because they overbuild them, that the only weak point is the pump. Even the waterblock and heat transfer area is overbuilt with lots of screws.

Liquid can, and will, evaporate through the tubing albeit at a very slow rate. 5 years maybe long enough for you but it's not long enough for me. Like I said I can reuse an air cooler indefinitely and high end air coolers hold their own pretty well against aios.

How the fuck did I not even came across that cooler when I bought my D15. I was looking at reviews of high end coolers everywhere and comparissons and that one never showed up. It was always bequiet dark rock pro, Cryorig whatever, d15, etc... but don't remember even seeing that one. Quite impressive.

Heatsinks in general are good enough. But they don't deal well with rapid changes and power spikes that an AIO could wrestle down.

Heatsinks are just stupid easy and dead reliable though.

True, and for my needs this is why I like them.

My first gen h100 still cools my 6700k. H60 on gtx670.

My H100i v2 has been nothing but trouble. I have to RMA it again (pool-like smells (shit burning..?) and pump crackling (probably air?)). First RMA was because the pump died. I currently have my Noctua NH-D14 on and the temps are maybe 3 degrees higher than they were with the CLC, but it's more than halved the noise.

Proper air cooling > CLC
Unless you plan on staring at your PC all day for the higher aesthetics of a CLC (namely the Kraken series.)

It's like Thermalright go no marketing/advertising at all

Water cooling is cool but the closed loops aren't worth it for their price. For that price u can get a top of the line air cooler that will perform better or u can start saving for a real custom water cooling system. Both other options will perform better.

what case

>There's so much more mass to hold heat and you can remove it away from the source.

Because the mass of water in the aio loop is greater than the mass of air in the atmosphere, right?

the tubes on the aios tend to get bent + crack at the fittings. Why even get an aio? theyre almost never cooler unless you go for a triple set up radiator. And even then why do you need that sort of cooling ? They cost $300 and a proper set up for gpu and cpu would be about the same

Wouldn't it be better to water cool the GPU since it typically is the hotter component?

correct, the issue is theres a lot more gpu mounting sockects and to make one universal is impossible. Plus to remove a gpu cooler voids most warranties.

more like greater than the mass of the metal heatsink

>stressed
>31c

>running a couple tabs on mozilla while playing a rousing game of solitaire

>Aside from the Corsair H100i leaks a few years back
My H100i is still going strong from 2013

I guess my initial comparison was incorrect. More accurate would be comparing the speed of heat transfer through heat pipes to fins in air cooler with the speed of heat transfer through water to fins in aio.